Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,079 members, 7,807,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University (2580 Views)

Hilarious Examination Questions From A Nigerian University Goes Viral (Photo) / 5 Signs You Were Born Smarter Than Other People / 10 Pictures Only Nigerian University Students Will Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by nollyj: 2:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
University environment is a different environment from what you are used to. You will meet people from different works of life, ethnicity, religion and culture. There are many other social activities going on. Some are good and some you can pay with your life.

In university and as a fresher, you will find yourself in amiss of new friends, people you have never met before. It is fun. It is enjoyable. It is a memory to beyond. But on the contrary I have seen that in this same environment, it is very easy for people to waste their time and go astray.

Time runs so fast in this environment. Some people might be lucky to correct the mistakes they have made years after but for others, they will live with the side effects of their mistakes.

If you are currently in any Nigerian university or high institution, take a moment and check if you are a involved in any or many of the listed signs below.

Reading the wrong course / program in University
This is a common occurrence in our universities. Many people are not lucky to get admitted to their first or second choice courses and because of reasons know to them they decided to select any program that will lead them to the four walls of the university. The after effect of this kind of wrong decision is that you will end up doing a program you have zero passion for. Everything about the program will be irritating and you will fail to allocate the needed time to your study. The end product is dropping out of school or graduating with a very poor result.

Using external help or lecturers to pass
Apart from all the various reasons while we attend university, acquiring sound and latest knowledge in your field of study should be a priority to all of us. I said "all of us". Sadly, this statement does not hold true always. Most people in our universities pay little to no attention to their studies. The main reason being the fact that they know of other different ways they can pass or even make a better grade than students who have studied although the semester. Most often these students employ the help of machinery or have to make out with their lecture to achieve their aim. The end product is a graduate that knows nothing in his or her field of study.

Lack of priority
Because of many activities within the university environment, it is very easy to set wrong priority for yourself. Getting involved with many social, religion and secret cult activities can milk your time and left you with less time to even have a sound sleep much less of reading or doing your school work. I have seen many during my university days gone astray due to their heavy time investment in university politics and secret cult activities. Any right mind student should know that his or her study should come above anything while in university.

Not attending class / procrastination
Most people will tell you they did not attend a class and they still manage to pass the exam. Although, it can work in certain cases but this advice can lead to destruction. There is more to learn during lectures than studying or playing with your time. There is a reason why some courses made attending lectures compulsory. Once you form the habiting of missing classes, it might also turn to procrastinating when to do your assignments and homework. Before you become aware of what you are doing, you will be left with so much work with no time to attend to it.

Although this is not a complete list, you can also let us know if you have more signs to add in this list.

source: http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by tammyboy1(m): 2:41pm On Jan 22, 2015
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Princecalm(m): 2:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
Going to the chapel/church when you should read or attend lectures. I.e doing the right thing at the wrong time.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by ArchEnemy(m): 3:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
It will suprise you to know that some peeps are in some of the above listed categories and are doing well in the uni

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by modskiller(m): 10:55pm On Jan 22, 2015
Nice write up OP.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by nollyj: 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2015
modskiller:
Nice write up OP.
Thanks
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by liveyourlife: 2:46am On Jan 23, 2015
okay
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Bigdreams(m): 3:32am On Jan 23, 2015
Good post OP.

Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by constance500: 3:34am On Jan 23, 2015
Chasing everything in skirt when you are supposed to read
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Akosbaba(m): 5:50am On Jan 23, 2015
Nice list but i can see 4 points only.also am not encouraging anyone to stab classes but you're better off in the library than trying to listen to some lecturers.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by ameer2: 7:55am On Jan 23, 2015
D list is ok..but 4 d last point,I disagree wit yu.Somtyms I do miss lectures unpurposely due to nigerian uni factor/large crowd. I mek sure I browse stuffs frm d internet or watch vids frm YouTube dat same day to cover up for dat missed lectures which seems to be even beta dan listening to those bitter nigerian lecturers.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 23, 2015
The first and the last one happened to me before I decide to start all over agn..Now am in ma 2nd year, with a sound GP..
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by ogaofficer(m): 8:38am On Jan 23, 2015
Op, number 1 is very common.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by nollyj: 10:42am On Jan 23, 2015
ameer2:
D list is ok..but 4 d last point,I disagree wit yu.Somtyms I do miss lectures unpurposely due to nigerian uni factor/large crowd. I mek sure I browse stuffs frm d internet or watch vids frm YouTube dat same day to cover up for dat missed lectures which seems to be even beta dan listening to those bitter nigerian lecturers.

Missing lectures once in a while is different from have 0 - 10 % attendance rate
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by nollyj: 10:43am On Jan 23, 2015
ogaofficer:
Op, number 1 is very common.

Yes, it is. I believe it is mainly because of the limited space we have in our higher institutions of learning.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by ogaofficer(m): 1:55pm On Jan 23, 2015
nollyj:

Yes, it is. I believe it is mainly because of the limited space we have in our higher institutions of learning.
Dnt you think it is nw affecting the nation in terms of youth unemployment?
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by nollyj: 2:34pm On Jan 23, 2015
ogaofficer:
Dnt you think it is nw affecting the nation in terms of youth unemployment?

Remember it is the role of government to create job or enable environment that will enhance the creation of jobs

But graduating from university does not guarantee you a job. Most people that studied what they don't like in university will probably struggle with getting job after graduation (They are always confuse about their skill sets and the kind of jobs they can apply)
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by ogaofficer(m): 6:45pm On Jan 23, 2015
nollyj:

Remember it is the role of government to create job or enable environment that will enhance the creation of jobs

But graduating from university does not guarantee you a job. Most people that studied what they don't like in university will probably struggle with getting job after graduation (They are always confuse about their skill sets and the kind of jobs they can apply)
"Most people that studied what they dont like in university will probably struggle with getting job after graduation" These set of people have the highest population in the labour market, thus increasing the rate of unemployment and more are being admitted early yearly in each uni. Who shall we blame the GOVERNMENT or the students who cnt wait for their time and begin with the end mind??
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Lewinskee: 7:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
COHABITING - The act of two students(male and female) living together as husband and wife. If you check it very well, most times they don't end up graduating with desired results. The female in particular.
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by Tosin4u: 9:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
dtc2k:
Upgrade your computer skills-You can learn and know how to use the latest computer applications like Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Publisher, Project etc.), AutoCAD, CorelDraw, Computer Engineering, Internet, and lots more……
Be empowered with computer skills to compete anywhere in the world, irrespective of your background or profession @ Divine Touch Computer Training School….. your pocket friendly computer training center.
Location: 3 Bella Close, Quarry Road, turning after Seliat Agbaje Central Mosque before Living Faith Church Word Wide (Winners’ Church Abeokuta) for those coming from Panseke or Post Office Area and the turning after Living Faith Church Word Wide (Winners’ Church Abeokuta) before Seliat Agbaje Central Mosque for those coming from Quarry (Agbe-Loba).
Visit us today or text for further inquiries: 08179409183, 08039408822, and 08088387338
bros, hw much to learn web design
Re: 5 Signs You Are Wasting Your Time In Nigerian University by dtc2k(m): 7:55am On Mar 29, 2017
Tosin4u:
bros, hw much to learn web design
Web design (html, CSS, Javascript) 40,000 for 2 months with personal laptop. Flexible payment and training sessions

(1) (Reply)

2015 Neco Gce Physic (practical) Questions And Answer Now Posted Here / FUPRE 2016 ASPIRANT Here..1st In D World 6th In Africa / 23 Most Expensive Schools In Nigeria Contd.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.