Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,827 members, 7,806,325 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS (26725 Views)

Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting / Medical Scam: Drugs Manufactured In 2016 Already In Circulation? / High Cost Of Female Condom Affects Its Availability, Distribution – UNAIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Akbee(m): 4:50pm On Jan 22, 2015
Dr Bilali Camara, UNAIDS Country Director, said on Thursday that four companies will commence production of anti-retroviral drugs in Nigeria.

Camara, who is also the UNAIDS Focal Point for ECOWAS, disclosed in an interview with newsmen in Abuja. He said the local production of anti-retroviral drugs would enable people access treatment at a cheaper rate. He added that it will also help those on life treatment, stressing that people live on treatment for 15 to 30 years.

“We have commenced negotiations with four pharmaceutical companies; the companies have been certified by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for the general manufacturing practices,” he said. The official said WHO would assist to conduct the prequalification processes, “and as soon as that is concluded they will commence the production of the anti-retroviral drugs in Nigeria’’.

Camara said many West and Central African states would benefit from the production, because nobody is producing the drugs in this region. He added that beside Nigeria, seven million other people may need the drugs for treatment from West and Central Africa, which shows that there is good return of investment to the companies. In related development, Camara said UNAIDS would enter into partnership with telecommunication companies to ensure that basic information about HIV/AIDS was advertised.

He said this would assist to further increase access to treatment to 101 million people in Nigeria are targeted. “We want to give more people access to basic information on HIV/AIDS. We want our target to know how to prevent mother to child transmission of HIV where and how to get HIV/AIDS related services.So that in the next few years we have more people accessing the services which many result into many infants born HIV positive mothers and born infants without the disease,” he said.

According to him, “if we do it correctly it will effect on the overall HIV transmission in the country’’. Camara said: “Things are going in the right direction, more people are on treatment, more people are accessing preventive measures and new infections are coming down. It is not as speedy as we want it but clearly things are on the right track.”
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/nigeria-commence-production-anti-retroviral-drugs-unaids/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by eunisam: 5:38pm On Jan 22, 2015
GEJ is working!

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by korel9: 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
Up GEJ grin

Haters go and die angry

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by juniormusa(m): 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
GEJ till 2019 grin grin

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by meshacha1: 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
This is What they should have done since ......!!!
Now that court have supported abalaka. ...They want to now start doing something.

Pls just hurry and establish the solution quickly and govt should subsidise it so that ppl can be cured. That illness is scaring, I believe it will never come near us.

Hit like if you know it is NOT your portion!

174 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by gen2briz(m): 11:03pm On Jan 22, 2015
Let me know when the drugs are available. Enough of all this Nigeria to, FG will etc.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Damianobi(m): 11:03pm On Jan 22, 2015
Aba nd onitsha boys will also take note of dat sharperly grin

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Vikkie14: 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Good move.
Em... When someone is doing the right, we should commend such. I was listening to a programme on radio sometimes ago, they were debating on the success(es) and failure(s) of Jonathan tenure. One of the speaker was saying that Jonathan' administratiön was this and that, the presenter ask him of the fair electiön under GEJ government, he said and i quote: "On the issue of free and fair election in 2011, i think Jega should take the praises and commendations because of a thorough job", end of quote and this man was eager to blame the spate of terrorism on jonathan when it should have been put on the Military "Ogas @ d top". He was quick to blame Jonathan on security but not praise him for giving them the free and fair election atmosphere. We shouldn't be too callous to see only the negative side and wave-off the posivite. I was a bit alarmed to his words cox this is the man that allocate all the calamities that has bedeviled the country to Goodluck but disapproved anything good to him.
When something good or bad happened, the Leader should bear the burden of both, but for us now to dissociates the "good" things from him and blame the "bad" ONLY on him shows we are callous, evil, wicked and biased--- and such should have his/her abode with animals. we shouldn't be giving the Whites the notion "they live on trees" with our behaviour. Am not a tree dweller, so are you.
GEJ thanks for this cox it came (was pioneered)during your tenure.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by kekakuz(m): 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Vote buhati
So we can start producing anti- corruption drugs

10 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hurraayyy. I hav neva liked Condom. Raw sex always. Anyway, KONJI na Bastard

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by zimoni(f): 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hope the drug would cure the HIV completely.

Good one there.

This is the kind of news we want to be reading not Buhari or Jonah palaver.

I wish the people living with HIV/AIDS recovery.

God will heal you people.

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by okotv(m): 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
Finally ECOWAS making things work. It can only get better.

#continentofhope
#thelastfrontier.
#buhariforpresident
#changeisunstoppable

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by lacasa: 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
^^^^^ I can see some PDP way above, desperately using the HIV/AIDS story to shout GEJ till 2019 grin

#when u comment without reading the content, the PDP' way

gringringrin

17 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by sleekch1c(f): 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
Really undecided
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by lionduke(m): 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
That's another Good news.
I just wish the Yoruba people will open there eyes and see these APC shit as it's all about returning power to north.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by MadCow1: 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
Thanks United Nations AIDS..

Atleast now the corruption in our Health Sector that has prevented thousands of People living with the Virus from getting access to he drug would reduce.

#GMB 2015 - 2019.. And depending on performance and health, we may take him all the way to 2023..

#NIGERIA Shall Rise from this valley.

#iHaveDecided..

8 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
gej all d way till buhari turns 92 grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Attahiru87(m): 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
Lolz na una sabi o...God is in control.

U guys like putting politics into every thing... undecided[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by pekeyim: 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
But this has ntin to do with GEJ

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by drered(m): 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
eunisam:
GEJ is working!
Don't be a waste of air.. What does this have to do with GEJ?..
Question is how exactly are they going to be getting their returns in Nigeria when arv's are basically free as they are supported by organisations like PEPFAR et al?

5 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by inisco: 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
Gej is reali working,all this in his tenure,quote me and remain illiterate like buhari

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by mustahagreens(f): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
The west stopped importing our crude, it's our turn to Bleep them up too. We'd no longer have to import those drugs from stinking yhu a.rse of hay (USA)
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by blemon44(m): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
kk
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by ROCKJ1(m): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
That's a good one...
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Vikkie14: 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
eunisam:
GEJ is working!
Seem so. Let's just be Optimistic for once and stop being a Pessimist. Common sense and nature dictate to us that we should be thankful for a "Good deed". We shouldn't be beclouded with politics to the extent we became blind to a positive news.

4 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by clemz85(m): 11:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
antiretroviraldrug UNAIDS...

oyibo
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Babysho(m): 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
I jus booked dis space 4 notin....i have notin to write...hey...wadupp...uhmm....u like Tissue paper?...*fumblin wit my fingers now*.....uhmm....did u knw dt 90percent of d earth is water?...uhmm...

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by Attahiru87(m): 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
Front page tins... tank God.
Re: HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS by tochman(m): 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
I have a strong feeling that this move has something to do with the court ruling on that guy's drug

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oke Umurhohwo: Kano Is In Trouble But They Are Not Alone / 5 Warning Signs Stress Is About To Make You Sick / Suspected Ebola Cases In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.