Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,932 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers (803 Views)

Nairaland: A Blessing Or A Curse To Bloggers? / For Web Designers And Web Developers Only! / Dora Akunyili Website - Let's Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by tundewoods(m): 9:30pm On Dec 25, 2008

Source : http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20081225217390

The Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili, has lamented the shutting down of the nation’s official website – www.nigeria.gov.ng – as a result of the inability of government officials to maintain the national flagship.

Akunyili, who spoke at the first meeting she had with heads of parastatals under the ministry in Abuja late on Tuesday, also gave all agencies in the ministry a deadline of March 2009 to establish their own websites.

She also barred officials of the ministry and the parastatals from receiving free telephone lines and cable televisions, directing those that already had such gifts to return them before the end of January 2009.

Noting that the incidence of poor telecommunications services has continued, the minister directed the Nigerian Communications Commission to monitor and report quality of service parameters on regular weekly basis.

She said, “Today, we live in an information age where access to information should be made readily available, and yet information about Nigeria from Nigeria is not easily accessible. I find it disheartening that the Ministry of Information and Communications does not have a website.

“It is also very discomforting that our flagship corporation, Nigerian Television Authority, does not have a website. It is unfortunate that the official government website www.nigeria.gov.ng, which was launched in 2005, and recoded 1.3 million visits in its first year, making it one of the most viable national websites in the world, has been shut down for many months. This website, which serves as a gateway to Nigeria, must be reactivated.

“Every parastatal must have an active and vibrant website up and running before the end of March 2009, and I am ready to support you to make sure that this happens. On our part, before the end of March 2009, this ministry will create a vibrant website that will enable people around the world to find everything they need to know about Nigeria in a click. This will be an interactive website that will allow people to ask questions and get answers. It will also provide polling opportunities as an avenue to know the feelings and desires of our people on various issues.”

On telecommunications, Akunyili said it was general knowledge that services rendered by telecom operators were poor, adding that most Nigerians were unhappy and expressing displeasure over the services of mobile telecom operators.

The minister said the incidences of dropped calls, poor voice signal quality and poor reception have caused unnecessary financial burdens for Nigerians as they carry multiple handsets to be able to connect to working networks.

Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by Seun(m): 9:42pm On Dec 25, 2008
It's a blessing for drug pushers and fake drug manufacturers too.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by owner(m): 11:17pm On Dec 25, 2008
[color=#000099][/color]This year is Our year at all Nairaland webmaster,i can provide them with extremely dynamic website if only they can pay the money.Am sure the guy that design the www.nigeria.gov.ng use Frontpage and nothing more.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by Seun(m): 12:14am On Dec 26, 2008
It benefits one webmaster at most. wink
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by OmniPotens(m): 12:50am On Dec 26, 2008
IMHO, not a blessing at all. Many lives will be in danger because the market will be filled with fake drugs again. I bet you, this time around, there will be no mercy by these fake drug manufacturers as they will sell both the ones they've not sold for all those years and the present years at the same time.

Only God can and will save his children.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by OmniPotens(m): 12:52am On Dec 26, 2008
By the way, Tundewoods, longest time oooooo.

Expecting you just drop us an xmas greetings message.

Merry Xmas!
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by smartsoft(m): 1:43pm On Dec 26, 2008
yop,  i was thinking of posting it first ooo  i heard it in the news i don dey do small runs under ground to that effect
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by yawatide(f): 4:36pm On Dec 26, 2008
Welcome back, Mr. Woods cool
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by Mustay(m): 5:08pm On Dec 26, 2008
Hope she makes massive impact on NTA and FRCN even though her position seems to be a triangle peg in a round hole.

Come to think of it, I listen to a lotta podcasts online and download flvs.

it pisses me off to think that I can't get ordinary podcasts from my country. I have to listen to BBC news on Africa about Nigeria shocked

even the stations FRCN has for streaming, not all are active embarassed

For the past 6 months, the same message has been posted.

You get something like "Metro Fm and premier are unavailable, please bear with us"

Funny, FRCn claims to be the largest network in Africa.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by yawatide(f): 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2008
Funny, FRCn claims to be the largest network in Africa
When you hear such, you should always ask yourself, "based on what criteria" cos it cd really be that based on the parameters they are using, they are the largest. It's their Unique Selling Point wink
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by OmniPotens(m): 6:34pm On Dec 26, 2008
Most of those are simply for the names and not their functionalities.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by Mustay(m): 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2008
NAH!!!!!!

I admire Dora's motivation.

Somehow, I think she 'll get a great experience from her new role. They once said Obama couldn't fir the office. Hopefully, the same would be said for Dora.

The sector needs cleansing. There's no better person with the passion drive to project the Heart of Africa project than her.

Hope things will change for the best,
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by smartsoft(m): 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2008
@omni why are you yarning asif tundewoods don't come online huh is either he has know business doing here and with funny post you see on nairaland don't encourage peeps to even post a reply anytime you see him on nairaland  it's because he sees something intresting to contribute or something intresting to talk about  just like this one he posted abi no bi so tundewoods ?

@owner, who told you that peeps who use Dreamweaver don't design worst thing than this it's your creative sense my guy
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by OmniPotens(m): 9:29am On Dec 29, 2008
@smartsoft
He has not been here in a long while but somewhere on another section. I think this was just a little opportunity to welcome him to the section at least for the end of the year.
Re: Dora Akunyili's Appointment A Blessing In Disguise For Web Developers by glorygal: 4:09pm On Dec 29, 2008
I agree totally with her.My prayers are for her.IF we have only two of her type Nigeria will be a better place to live in.
happy new year

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Design And Flash Animation Tutor Needed / 10 Creative & Rich Ui & How To Create Them / Plsssss Help To Review This Website.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.