Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. (1095 Views)

Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It-soyinka / The One Night I Will Never Forget (A Short Romantic Story) / Story : Remember To Forget Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by ShaddyTerese(m): 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
I NEVER GOT DRUNK ENOUGH TO FORGET HER.
BY AKPEM TERESE SHADRACH.
Marrying Linda was the best thing that ever happened to my life. We first met 12 years ago when I got admission in a medical school which she also happened to make the list.
I had arrived the venue that day quiet early so I sat behind the hall while I waited for the registration officers to come and clear us. It was at this point that I saw her entering the hall. The sight of her triggered a strange sensational feeling inside of me. I watched her keenly as she walked to the front of the building. She wore a blue jeans with a turtle neck sweater that matched her multicolored snickers. I had been looking at her for about 2minutes and she suddenly looked in my direction and caught my gaze which I didn’t bother to remove. Looking at her directly, I loved the way her hair was packed behind her back. I could guess it was her natural endowment as it appeared pitch black and was glistening which to me was a perfect match with her seemingly fair and delicate skin. I couldn’t miss her prominent dimples either…I loved them jealously.
Some few moments passed and the officers arrived so we were all inline to undergo the process. I deliberately ensured that I queued behind her so I could get an opportunity to speak with her. When I finally did, I was impressed that she had both beauty and brains. She wasn’t just a physical beauty; she had a beautiful personality. Her friendly nature gave me an edge to get a better acquaintance. When we finally finished for the day, I offered to buy her lunch but she politely declined but I was not offended because I was sure it was the beginning of good things for both of us.
We all left to resume school in a month so during that period, I ensured the first and last person I spoke with on phone was her since she refused to grant me the request of visiting her at home claiming there was no basis for that just yet.
I was happy I was resuming to start my dream course but deep in me, I knew that the excitement was hyped with the fact that I was going to see Linda.
When we started classes, she had by now known my mindset and been one that was always straight to the point, she made it clear she wasn’t going into any relationship just yet and would like to keep us as just friends…for now. I respected her stand on the matter, after all I was determined to wait for her no matter what.
While I waited for her, I was sure of one thing: she saw the seriousness in my genuity. She finally answered my request after 3years to be the love of my life and from that day on, I knew for sure that I wanted to grow old with her. Even though the thought was a little intimidating, I was determined to see it through.
We finally graduated as medical doctors then I proposed to her. Her reply didn’t surprise me yet I was very excited about the fact that she was going to be my wife. We came up to be best friends so the privilege of having someone who would be both a wife and a friend made me extremely happy.
Our wedding was next to none yet it wasn’t a match to what our honeymoon turned out to be. I gave her the liberty to choose where she wanted it and she went for Obudu Cattle ranch. A day after our wedding, we embarked on the journey of our lives and as we left, we locked the world outside and all that was left was me and my wife.
Even though I had tried to imagine what that experience would be like, she still had me in the box and made every moment breathtaking. The kisses, cuddles, love making, sightseeing, swimming, jokes, plays, walks…it was all spectacular.
3 weeks into our honey moon, she surprised me when I walked in after an early morning jog which she had declined from following me that morning. I met her standing in her night dress with her hands behind her back in the middle of our hotel room and I can’t forget the words she said to me:
“Sweetheart, I tested today and its positive. I am going to give you a son” she said showing me the pregnancy test strip she was holding behind her back. Of course I knew she was going to get pregnant but the joy of been a father was unimaginable. I hugged her passionately with the words “I love you my baby” flowing endlessly from my mouth. Promising me a boy meant she really understood that inner part of me that lacked a voice.
Our honeymoon had come and gone and by now, she was heavy with our baby. I was confident she was going to bear me a son; so much that I kicked against her request to run a scan.
The day finally came. It was in the middle of the night when she started screaming so I gently walked her to the car trying not to upset more pain.
I drove her to the hospital and she was taken to the theatre. While I waited for the doctor and his team to deliver her of my son, I paced down and up the hall way like a job seeker awaiting an employment list. One nurse came out after another without saying a word to me and this heightened my frustration but I told myself that it was just a delivery so nothing was going to go wrong.
After 3hours of anticipation, I saw the door of the theatre open and the doctor who happened to be my colleague walked out in a professional mode that spelt trouble. I was in the profession so I knew the message he carried. He was going to tell me my wife didn’t make it.
“what happened to my wife?” I asked almost losing my mind.
“am sorry there were some complications and only the baby made it. You have a baby girl. I am sincerely sorry for your loss”
As I watched him walk back to the theatre, the words resounded in my head like a cannon blast.
I slid down on my knees as I cried uncontrollably. It wasn’t a boy that came after all. I had lost my wife because of a baby; at least so I thought. Without been told, I became aware to an evil anger for a child I had not even seen. The only thing in my head then was that she killed my wife.
Without seeing my baby, I angrily drove home and my life changed for the worse. I began to drink heavily in a bid to wash off her memories but I realized that the complete amnesia I was looking for from my bottle of whisky succeeded in wiping every thought in my head but left me with her memories. I could see her clearly; at least in my mind. She would stand in the corner of the room in a white apron with tears running down her cheeks… when I made to grasp her hand, she would vanish.
My life was slowly wasting away and I knew it but didn’t just care anymore. I had not seen my daughter ever since I left the hospital because of the bitterness that swelled up in my heart. I hated my own blood for what she knew nothing about.
A night came afterward my miserable life had been going on, I decided to see her face where she was tended by her nurses.
I walked into the room with my bottle of whisky in hand staggering my way into the room quite obvious that I was stinking with alcohol but I didn’t care. I went straight to where she was laid and on seeing her, my senses where restored. I was looking at the carbon copy of my wife, her fair skin and a dimple… the only difference was that she was just a child. Yes I had wished for a son but something deep within me made me grateful that she indeed left me someone to remember her by with. I went down on my knees as tears dribbled down my cheeks. Here was I torturing myself and neglecting my own blood over something she knew nothing about and was also suffering from the absence of a mother to cuddle her. I couldn’t handle my shame but I was sure I was going to change for the better and make up for the lost time.
As I rose my head up, I saw my wife again at the corner of the room, but this time, she was smiling at me; maybe an illusion. I wanted to run to her but I only realized she wanted me to know she was glad I finally came back to my senses so I smiled back at the image of her.
Turning back to my daughter Sonia, I said “my little Angel, daddy is sorry for neglecting you all this while. I have realized my mistake and I will love you from now on without any reservation”. I took her up in my arms without caring that I was stinking with whisky and I watched her smile at me; a smile I saw from the face of only one person: my wife and It more than ever lit up my senses.
Writing this today after 5years, I can’t help but admit that my wife has been reborn through my daughter Sonia. And even though I failed to realize early how fate smiled on me by leaving me this priceless gift, it still gave me a second chance to make amends.
I Love you Linda.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by folawiyoma(m): 6:51pm On Jan 27, 2015
Touching.
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by Cybershow(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
its a touchin story.
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by ShaddyTerese(m): 1:37am On Jan 28, 2015
folawiyoma:
Touching.
Thank You
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by ShaddyTerese(m): 1:38am On Jan 28, 2015
Cybershow:
its a touchin story.
Thanks
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by Cybershow(m): 3:18am On Jan 28, 2015
ShaddyTerese:

Thanks
U wlcm
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by ACHIEVABABE: 12:18pm On Jan 28, 2015
I love dis story,its so touchin
Re: I Never Got Drunk Enough To Forget Her. by ShaddyTerese(m): 6:07pm On Jan 28, 2015
ACHIEVABABE:
I love dis story,its so touchin
Am glad you love it

(1) (Reply)

Tutankhamun's Legacy / ONLY FOR LOVE "Episode 16" Written By @saint_haywhy / Of Sin And Trickery (#1.5 Risen Evil)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.