Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural (12152 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / Products To Grow Long Nigerian Hair!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 9:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
In Nigeria and Africa in general, it is believed that our hair cannot be as long as our Caucasian and Asian counterparts. That belief is wrong!!! Our hair CAN grow long, all it needs is some TLC (tender loving care). I've been able to grow my hair from chin length to almost armpit length in less than a year. If you need advice or help on growing your hair, drop a comment. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't have the hair you desire, you CAN, just know what to do.
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by Kimmo(f): 9:50pm On Jan 27, 2015
I've recently considered joining this natural hair crew, but maintenance is what I see as a big issue.

My scalp hurts a lot, which makes me afraid of going to salons. So, if you have an easy, layman's method of successfully dealing with natural hair and not look like an mgbeke while at it, I'm all ears eyes.
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by petra22(f): 10:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Hmm, armpit hair length in less than a year? Amazeballs!

Is your hair relaxed or natural? Are you bi-racial?

Pls do share the hair care routine that helped you achieve such length in just a year.

1 Like

Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by jessiecah(f): 10:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
I dyed my hair several times so I believe it affected my scalp. So its dry, flaky and lacks lustre. It also started breaking majorly and I recently discovered dandruff. It really short.I am now treating the dandruff and breakage and I know if I pay attention to it, it'll grow really long cos with my hair there is always a positive feeback with hair treatment . What did you use to grow youRs?
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 28, 2015
Please what are the routines? Kindly share cos my hair breaks out alot cry
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 9:19am On Jan 28, 2015
petra22:

Pls do share the hair care routine that helped you achieve such length in just a year.
I'm texlaxed (still relaxed just milder) n I'm a full blooded Nigerian. I like to think my regimen is quite simple:
-I wash my hair once a week. The day before wash day, I apply castor oil to my scalp n coconut oil to the length of my hair, cover with a shower cap and leave overnight. The next day, I wash my hair with Dudu Osun ( yes the black soap, I only use shampoo once a month), then pour a cup of green tea over my hair. I deep condition afterwards, alternating between a moisturing deep condition and a protein deep condition. I apply to my hair, cover with two shower caps then cover with a towel. I leave for an hour then rinse it off. After rinsing. I air dry my hair (DIRECT HEAT IS BAD FOR THE HAIR) the apply my leave in conditioner and Shea butter.
- I moisturize my hair daily with a water-based moisturizer and seal with either coconut oil or Shea butter. I oil my scalp with castor oil every night before I go to bed. I also protect my hair with a satin scarf at night.
- I keep my hair in wigs 90% of the time to protect it.
Hope this helps. Please ask questions on what you're not clear about.

1 Like

Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 9:25am On Jan 28, 2015
jessiecah:
I dyed my hair several times so I believe it affected my scalp. So its dry, flaky and lacks lustre. It also started breaking majorly and I recently discovered dandruff. It really short.I am now treating the dandruff and breakage and I know if I pay attention to it, it'll grow really long cos with my hair there is always a positive feeback with hair treatment . What did you use to grow youRs?
Chemical dyeing is quite bad fr our black hair because it leaves your hair dryer than normal (that's why you are having flakes). I advice you bombard your hair with moisture. Moisturise your hair with a water-based moisturizer or a simple mix of water and glycerine (I use the one sold in cake ingredients shops), afterwards seal with oil (I prefer either olive oil or coconut oil coz they are quit common). Deep condition your hair every week using a moisturizing deep conditioner. And I advise you stay away from the dyes for now. If you really want to dye, try a natural alternative like henna( the 'lalle' northern women use to decorate their hands).
Hope this helps!!!!

1 Like

Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 9:41am On Jan 28, 2015
Kimmo:
I've recently considered joining this natural hair crew, but maintenance is what I see as a big issue.

My scalp hurts a lot, which makes me afraid of going to salons. So, if you have an easy, layman's method of successfully dealing with natural hair and not look like an mgbeke while at it, I'm all ears eyes.
The key to handling natural hair successfully is to understand your hair. Try to dampen your hair a little with either a spray leave-in conditioner or a simple mix of water and glycerine before you comb it. Oil your scalp daily with a natural oil (I use castor oil, makes my hair thicker). Also avoid styles that put strain on your scalp (you're right to avoid salons coz many hairdressers like to braid out hair tight). My best low manipulation style is wigging, I get to look gorgeous and I have access to my hair to properly take care of it. If you want to wear your hair out, loose buns and even Afros (since you're natural) are good styles that don't stress the scalp. Hope this helps!!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by jessiecah(f): 10:31am On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

Chemical dyeing is quite bad fr our black hair because it leaves your hair dryer than normal (that's why you are having flakes). I advice you bombard your hair with moisture. Moisturise your hair with a water-based moisturizer or a simple mix of water and glycerine (I use the one sold in cake ingredients shops), afterwards seal with oil (I prefer either olive oil or coconut oil coz they are quit common). Deep condition your hair every week using a moisturizing deep conditioner. And I advise you stay away from the dyes for now. If you really want to dye, try a natural alternative like henna( the 'lalle' northern women use to decorate their hands).
Hope this helps!!!!

Thanks. I love coconut oil, it's good and smell nice too. I won't even dye it again, just want to focus on the repair and grow it. What did you use to grow yours?
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by marieolae(f): 10:46am On Jan 28, 2015
Kimmo:

My scalp hurts a lot, which makes me afraid of going to salons. So, if you have an easy, layman's method of scuccessfully dealing with natural hair and not look like an mgbeke while at it, I'm all ears eyes.
honestly..the sight of my hair is a nightmare....
My edges are breaking..as well as the back. My hair is scanty. Ive tried the coconut oil and all the recommended products out there, but nothing seems to work.

So I guess its down to relaxing my hair. Or I may cut it all off to start afresh.

#teamnatural smiley
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 11:02am On Jan 28, 2015
jessiecah:

Thanks. I love coconut oil, it's good and smell nice too. I won't even dye it again, just want to focus on the repair and grow it. What did you use to grow yours?
I also love coconut oil, but my fave oil right now is castor oil. It has so many benefits (google it) and it helped my hair grow thick. However, its quite thick so use sparingly or dilute with a light oil like coconut oil.
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 11:04am On Jan 28, 2015
marieolae:
honestly..the sight of my hair is a nightmare....
My edges are breaking..as well as the back. My hair is scanty. Ive tried the coconut oil and all the recommended products out there, but nothing seems to work.

So I guess its down to relaxing my hair. Or I may cut it all off to start afresh.

#teamnatural smiley
Cutting your hair to start afresh is cool, but if you're practicing bad hair care or using bad products, your hair will still break. What's your hair regimen like?
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by marieolae(f): 11:08am On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

Cutting your hair to start afresh is cool, but if you're practicing bad hair care or using bad products, your hair will still break. What's your hair regimen like?
thats the major problem..ive never really had a stable regime. I jus try out different things
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 11:26am On Jan 28, 2015
marieolae:
thats the major problem..ive never really had a stable regime. I jus try out different things
Its good to experiment n all, but you need a gameplqn if you really want to grow your hair. You can take a look my regimen above and modify it to suit you. Consistency is the key to success.
Hope this helps!!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by marieolae(f): 11:29am On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

Its good to experiment n all, but you need a gameplqn if you really want to grow your hair. You can take a look my regimen above and modify it to suit you. Consistency is the key to success.
Hope this helps!!!
thanks a lot.
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by petra22(f): 11:45am On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

I'm texlaxed (still relaxed just milder) n I'm a full blooded Nigerian. I like to think my regimen is quite simple:
-I wash my hair once a week. The day before wash day, I apply castor oil to my scalp n coconut oil to the length of my hair, cover with a shower cap and leave overnight. The next day, I wash my hair with Dudu Osun ( yes the black soap, I only use shampoo once a month), then pour a cup of green tea over my hair. I deep condition afterwards, alternating between a moisturing deep condition and a protein deep condition. I apply to my hair, cover with two shower caps then cover with a towel. I leave for an hour then rinse it off. After rinsing. I air dry my hair (DIRECT HEAT IS BAD FOR THE HAIR) the apply my leave in conditioner and Shea butter.
- I moisturize my hair daily with a water-based moisturizer and seal with either coconut oil or Shea butter. I oil my scalp with castor oil every night before I go to bed. I also protect my hair with a satin scarf at night.
- I keep my hair in wigs 90% of the time to protect it.
Hope this helps. Please ask questions on what you're not clear about.

Hmm, nice. Dunno where to get castor oil. I think Coconut oil is more readily available here in Lagos. I'm guessing the tea rinse is for reducing hair breakage. I once tried to use Dudu Osun on my hair and I was adviced against it. I was told the chemicals in it are too harsh for the hair.

You clearly take very good care of your hair but mehn this regimen seems really stressful and time consuming to follow. I love long healthy hair but I'm just too lazy. I have a fairly long hair tho, shoulder-length cheesy

1 Like

Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 11:56am On Jan 28, 2015
petra22:

Hmm, nice. Dunno where to get castor oil. I think Coconut oil is more readily available here in Lagos. I'm guessing the tea rinse is for reducing hair breakage. I once tried to use Dudu Osun on my hair and I was advices against it. I was told the chemicals in it are too harsh for the hair.

You clearly take very good care of your hair but mehn this regimen seems really stressful and time consuming to follow. I love long healthy hair but I'm just too lazy. I have a fairly long hair tho, shoulder-length cheesy
Indeed I've been told by my sisters "your own is too much" but I don't mind. No pain, no gain.
I've heard some people also had bad reactions to Dudu Osun. I don't . what works for one may not work for another.
Castor oil is readily available on any good pharmacy. Since you live in Lagos, try Medplus or Health plus. Or you can order online from sizelle stores.
And yes, the tea rinse is to reduce shedding. It also makes my hair shine!!!
Hope this helps!!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by petra22(f): 12:04pm On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

Indeed I've been told by my sisters "your own is too much" but I don't mind. No pain, no gain.
I've heard some people also had bad reactions to Dudu Osun. I don't . what works for one may not work for another.
Castor oil is readily available on any good pharmacy. Since you live in Lagos, try Medplus or Health plus. Or you can order online from sizelle stores.
And yes, the tea rinse is to reduce shedding. It also makes my hair shine!!!
Hope this helps!!!

Thanks for the useful tips smiley
I can't ditch my weaves tho so I guess I'll start doing one-month weave, one-month take care of my real hair :d
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by jessiecah(f): 9:22pm On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

I also love coconut oil, but my fave oil right now is castor oil. It has so many benefits (google it) and it helped my hair grow thick. However, its quite thick so use sparingly or dilute with a light oil like coconut oil.

ok,so castor oil did it for you?
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 10:08pm On Jan 28, 2015
petra22:

Thanks for the useful tips smiley
I can't ditch my weaves tho so I guess I'll start doing one-month weave, one-month take care of my real hair :d
That's great, but don't forget to take care of your hair while it's under a weave. Moisturize and seal regularly (dilute your products with water and spray under the weave to avoid buildup). Wash your hair weekly or at least clean your scalp (I use baby wipes or a Clean hankie).
Hope this helps!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 10:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
jessiecah:

ok,so castor oil did it for you?
Well the castor oil worked wonders, but I like to think its my entire regimen (taking care of my hair) that helped me grow my hair. I've listed my regimen above.
Hope this helps!!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 10:25pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hey everyone!!!
I'd like to talk on protein and its importance to our hair.
Hair is made up of 70-90% protein. Protein is what makes our hair strong enough to be able to withstand breakage. However due to chemical processing (e.g relaxing, dyeing), manipulation (e.g combing, brushing), our hair loses protein. If you want to retain length, then protein must be a consistent part of your regimen.
- Use protein deep conditioners. I don't like endorsing products because I realize that what works for me might not work for others, but any conditioner labelled mayonnaise should do the trick. These can be used weekly or bi-weekly.
- There are also products called protein reconstructors. These are hard protein treatments and shouldn't be used often.
- Homemade protein treatments. Yes you can whip up a protein DC from the ingredients in your kitchen!! Eggs and mayonnaise (for salads and sandwiches) are perfect for protein treatment.
- Henna or as northern women call it "lalle". I've used henna on my hair and I fell in love. My hair felt strengthened. However, henna also adds a reddish tint to the hair which fades over time.
Protein treatment can leave the hair quite hard, so follow up with a moisturizing DC.
DONT OVERDO PROTEIN TREATMENTS!! I cannot stress this enough. This will lead to protein overload (dry, brittle, dull looking hair that breaks massively). So go easy on the protein treatment.
Hope this helps!!!
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by petra22(f): 10:40pm On Jan 28, 2015
sassy92:

That's great, but don't forget to take care of your hair while it's under a weave. Moisturize and seal regularly (dilute your products with water and spray under the weave to avoid buildup). Wash your hair weekly or at least clean your scalp (I use baby wipes or a Clean hankie).
Hope this helps!!
Thanks a lot
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by jessiecah(f): 12:34am On Jan 29, 2015
sassy92:

Well the castor oil worked wonders, but I like to think its my entire regimen (taking care of my hair) that helped me grow my hair. I've listed my regimen above.
Hope this helps!!!

thanks dear
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by kalimera101: 2:59am On Jan 29, 2015
petra22:

What's with the Bi-racial thing sef? You have no idea how many Nigerian girls have long as in long hair
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by sassy92(f): 10:09am On Jan 30, 2015
kalimera101:

What's with the Bi-racial thing sef? You have no idea how many Nigerian girls have long as in long hair
Yes o, I've seen full bloodied Nigerians with waist length hair!! Its all about taking care of your hair
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
At OP pls can you show us a picture of your hair? Pls pls pretty pls?

1 Like

Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by meetmal03(f): 12:02am On Aug 21, 2015
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by meetmal03(f): 12:52pm On Jul 30, 2016
Re: Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural by siwandabeauty: 10:19pm On Mar 13, 2018
This set is nice for your hair. Natural care for dry hair. Wheat protein. Contains protecting peptides that forms a protective shield on hair surface. It penetrates into the hair shaft to help to strengthen and protect the hair. Coconut oil has excellent conditioning and nourishing properties on the hair. Mosturises the hair to make it shiny and healthy. Nation wide delivery 08063595146

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Designers At The Couture Fashion Week / Would Fashion Design Be Relevant In A Few Years? / Original, Casio Digital Wrist Watches Available With FREE DELIVERY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.