Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,868 members, 7,806,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) (4836 Views)

FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States / FG Approves Work On Second Niger Bridge Onitsha. / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Mynd44: 4:43pm On Jan 29, 2015
In March last year, Nigeria’s President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan laid the foundation for the construction of the second Niger Bridge. Judging from the traffic registered on the first Niger Bridge, the second bridge has become something the Nation has been clamoring for a long while as traffic gridlock on the first bridge has become nightmarish. The first bridge was not meant to take the volume of traffic it has had to service and people have been concerned, so when the construction was kicked off a lot of Nigerians were glad as from the plans of the would be six-lane bridge, it would really save a lot of stress, downtime lost due to traffic and it will take a lot of load off the first Niger bridge but a lot of issues have cropped up about the bridge and has to be addressed.

First of all, according to Mr Uche Orji who is the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA), “The first thing we had to do was to pay compensation. This bridge is not a small bridge. It is a 12-kilometre bridge plus another 28 kilometres of access road, so 40 kilometres construction is significant.” (http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/construction-work-on-second-niger-bridge-to-begin-next-quarter/188639/ ) which is really commendable considering the fact that the third mainland bridge is 11.8 km (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/third_mainland_bridge) which means that the Second Niger Bridge when completed will be longer that The Third Mainland Bridge.

But according to Minister Mike Onolememen, the Second Niger Bridge will be “1,590 metres long and forms part of the 11.90 km length project” ( http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/last-jonathan-kicks-construction-2nd-niger-bridge/ ) which was confirmed by the Chairman of the construction firm – Julius Berger- retired AVM Nurudeen Imam on July 19, 2014 (http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/06/work-begins-second-niger-bridge-official/ )

So, could it be that Mr Orji lied or did the minister downplay the total length of the project as some yet to be determined measure of modesty?

Cost of the project.
The Honourable Minister at the ground breaking ceremony last March said “The Second Niger Bridge’s construction cost was put at N117,860,700,741.82 vat inclusive” ( http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/last-jonathan-kicks-construction-2nd-niger-bridge/ ) According to the Federal Government, about 30 billion Naira will be made available by them and the partners will come up with the rest and this money will be released on a 10 Billion a year basis sourced from SURE-P (http://www.informationng.com/2014/02/second-niger-bridge-to-gulp-n117-billion-fg.html ) and I am glad that this is being done.

That is a lot of money but for something that is desperately needed by the people, it should be commended that the government has even started building this bridge. However, but there is another flaw here. From the Minister, the Bridge was initially supposed to cost 117,860,741.82 Naira but just recently, President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday in Anambra State dispelled speculations that the 133 billion Naira Niger Bridge project has been abandoned by his administration, saying 10 billion Naira has already been expended on it. (http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/news/19375-we-have-spent-n10-billion-on-second-niger-bridge-jonathan ) How did the approved cost of the project jump to 133 billion from 118 billion Naira? Where did the approximately 15Billion difference come from? Is there something we are not being told?

Thirdly, the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge in Lagos is a cable stay bridge 1.358 kilometres long which we were told by the Lagos Government cost N29 Billion, (According to PDP sympathizers, we are all supposed to believe the price of this is inflated) (http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/fashola-commissions-lekki-ikoyi-link-bridge/ ) was commissioned in May 2013 and opened in June that year. So if the Second Niger Bridge which will be approximately 1.6 kilometres is compared to the Lekki link Bridge, it means that this bridge plus access road (going by the figures from the minister) will cost 103 Billion more than the Lekki link bridge. We can safely conclude that the Federal Government of Nigeria intends to build an access road of 10.6 kilometres and a bridge differential of approximately 0.24 kilometres for over one hundred billion Naira and at the end of it, people will still pay toll fees to use it.

I am happy the bridge is being built but at this stage of apparent insincerity, I think a probe should be done on the construction of this bridge. Anyone that can explain these disparities to me can engage me on social media.

Source: http://opinionriver.com/oluwamynd-second-niger-bridge-facts-lies/

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Brightology2(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2015
No need 4 many arguement,jst hit lyk to vote out GEJ.dats all

18 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by PhockPhockMan: 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
Taking panadol for another man's headache. Op, give it up. Igbos will never allow to be used as political tool again.

NO TO BUHARI.

12 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by kcjazz(m): 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
2nd Niger bridge election promise in 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015. Am sure even in 1993 it was an election promise. I have said it before unless Anambra state comes up and build that bridge then its a long thing

6 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Descartes: 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2015
...and so?
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by asha80(m): 4:55pm On Jan 29, 2015
kcjazz:
2nd Niger bridge election promise in 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015. Am sure even in 1993 it was an election promise. I have said it before unless Anambra state comes up and build that bridge then its a long thing
it has to be a delta and anambra project if it comes to that and not anambra alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by raumdeuter: 4:59pm On Jan 29, 2015
[size=15pt]President Goodluck Jonathan has promised to go on exile if he fails to build the Second Niger Bridge before completing his term in 2015.[/size]

The Nigerian leader made the promise in his remarks at a Town Hall Meeting held yesterday in the commercial city of Onitsha as part of activities marking his one-day visit to Anambra State. During the visit, Jonathan commissioned several projects, including the oil production facilities of Orient Petroleum at Aguleri, the massive SABMiller Brewery at Onitsha and the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu Gateway in Onitsha

Speaking yesterday at the Town Hall Meeting, the Nigerian leader said that “when the first bridge was built, it was during the presidency of Nnamdi Azikiwe; the second Niger bridge will be built under the presidency of Azikiwe Jonathan.” [size=14pt]To further reassure the people, the President said he would go on exile on the completion of his term if he does not build the bridge.[/size]

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=234

4 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by dre11(m): 5:08pm On Jan 29, 2015
How did the approved cost of the project jump to 133 billion from 118 billion Naira? Where did the approximately 15Billion difference come from? Is there something we are not being told?

The 15billion you talking about has gone to election engineering and blackmailing of GMB
The funds they source could not cover all expenses so they have to find some crooked way to get funds and this one of they ways

I hope the johnaTANs can come over and tell you were the funds and disparities comes from

Remember........ Stealing is no corruption
I can't laugh oooooogrin

10 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by obailala(m): 5:17pm On Jan 29, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Taking panadol for another man's headache. Op, give it up. Igbos will never allow to be used as political tool again.

NO TO BUHARI.

In this administration, due to our collective admiration and unparalleled support for the amiable Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, we Igbos are not being used as political tools anymore, instead we are being used as political slaves and doormats. Unlike the slavery we endured under all other Nigerians administrations in the past, we seem to be taking the exploitation of the present government with a huge smile on our faces.

I cant point out a single federal road which has been fixed by the present administration in the SE. The most disheartening aspect is that Igbos actually go around and deceive fellow Igbos that GEJ has fixed several roads and even constructed a 2nd Niger Bridge. If I ask you to mention one road fixed by GEJ you will quickly mention the onitsha-owerri road which was completed to 95% before GEJ's reign. How sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPy0c7tP4Vk

6 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by atlwireles: 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2015
The Oluwole fraudsters, always creating oluwole threads.

5 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Odunharry(m): 5:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
grin
we are tired of i will do this and yet nothing to show for..

Abeg vote for change jaree
#SAI BUHARI
#APC
#CHANGE

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by dridowu: 5:29pm On Jan 29, 2015
2nd Niger bridge will always be an agenda every year that election will hold just like normal i will give u water, power , all na zobo.
Join the #FeBuhari14 train and make it happen.
God Bless Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by PhockPhockMan: 5:41pm On Jan 29, 2015
obailala:

In this administration, due to our collective admiration and unparalleled support for the amiable Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, we Igbos are not being used as political tools anymore, instead we are being used as political slaves and doormats. Unlike the slavery we endured under all other Nigerians administrations in the past, we seem to be taking the exploitation of the present government with a huge smile on our faces.

I cant point out a single federal road which has been fixed by the present administration in the SE. The most disheartening aspect is that Igbos actually go around and deceive fellow Igbos that GEJ has fixed several roads and even constructed a 2nd Niger Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPy0c7tP4Vk
You and the OP should have told us the exact level past government's kept the promise of giving Ndigbo the second Niger Bridge instead of this trash. whether GEJ is shortchanging Igbos by not commissioning the mega bridge after less than ten months after flag off is not my concern since others before him, including Buhari never got it thought.
In Jonathan we trust.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by PhockPhockMan: 5:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
atlwireles:
The Oluwole fraudsters, always creating oluwole threads.
Don't mind them.

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Mynd44: 5:53pm On Jan 29, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
You and the OP should have told us the exact level past government's kept the promise of giving Ndigbo the second Niger Bridge instead of this trash. whether GEJ is shortchanging Igbos by not commissioning the mega bridge after less than ten months after flag off is my concern since others before him, including Buhari never got it thought.
In Jonathan we trust.
So do you agree with the OP that the contract has some issues to be discussed?

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by PhockPhockMan: 6:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
Mynd44:

So do you agree with the OP that the contract has some issues to be discussed?
I don't think. All I'm seeing is election propaganda, unfortunately, we're not buying it.

5 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Mynd44: 6:04pm On Jan 29, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
I don't think. All I'm seeing is election propaganda, unfortunately, we're not buying it.
Which part is a lie? Please point it our

6 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by omenka(m): 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2015
If it is Mynd44, then it is worth reading...

Really unfortunate and indeed shameful we are being robbed in broad day light yet due to the sheer greed of our so called leaders who are bent on ensuring the cookie jar isn't rattled, they keep mum and sometimes even deliberately enhance these robberies!

If we cannot rise above primordial prejudices where we believe it is inconceivable that "our neighbor can never do us more good than our brother" then we might as well kiss any chance of our collective emancipation goodbye.

Too many questions abound in the second Niger Bridge project, few off which the op highlights. It is left to us to seek answers to these questions and not have them trivialised and eventually forgotten just like the other important issues before it.

God help us.

Ps: Mynd44, you would be wasting your time expecting a reasonable argument or debate from these guys. The only one among them who bore the slightest semblance to an intelligent person, Datolee, has already deactivated his account.

4 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by alaoeri: 6:10pm On Jan 29, 2015
Reason why ndigbo should vote GMB, GEJ is a scam & failure.
Sai Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by giles14(m): 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2015
Mynd44:

Source: http://opinionriver.com/oluwamynd-second-niger-bridge-facts-lies/
d u Knw dat mor Dan 70 percent of containers imported to Lagos pass tru dat bridge. n do u Knw d amount of load dat bridge carrys
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 29, 2015
The fraud call the second niger bridge.
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
PhockPhockMan:

NO TO BUHARI.
Nobody asked you to vote anyone.

1 Like

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Remarkable: 6:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
The OP is being careful not to comment carelessly, because the last time he/she was dancing around when an ignorant poster claimed work had been halted, someone came and uploaded current pics. of work being on-going and it was really funny when /how the OP tucked his tail/folded her thing between legs and scampered off lol....

This bridge has has seen more progress in GEJ's years than any other president. I will give GEJ my support for work to continue.

4 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by PhockPhockMan: 6:40pm On Jan 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

Nobody asked you to vote anyone.
That's the target of the OP, to use propaganda to deceive Igbo voters.

We've decided to go with GEJ.

3 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by omenka(m): 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2015
Remarkable:
The OP is being careful not to comment carelessly, because the last time he/she was dancing around when an ignorant poster claimed work had been halted, someone came and uploaded current pics. of work being on-going and it was really funny when /how the OP tucked his tail/folded her thing between legs and scampered off lol....

This bridge has has seen more progress in GEJ's years than any other president. I will give GEJ my support for work to continue.
Could you direct me to the said thread?? Don't be shy. I wanna see the "pictures" of the "progress" that has been made.

It would be a shame if you don't refer me to that thread and just go off with an insult directed at my person just like you guys are fond of doing.

2 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Mynd44: 6:43pm On Jan 29, 2015
Remarkable:

Really? Where is the massive work by the way? Where is the bridge?

That is not the matter here. The OP is about the lies involved on this thread

2 Likes

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Wuuworld(m): 6:45pm On Jan 29, 2015
It is more honourable to fold and seal ur vocal cavity than to open it widely and voice out senseless comments....I was there at the ground breaking ceremony of the second niger bridge,ever since then,I have visited the place twice and work have been going on there......Our Dearest President also visited there during his onitsha rally........itz high time we start to appreciate this God sent to our Generation called Jonathan Ebele Goodluck Azikiwe(Jega) before itz too late... LONG LIVE! Nigeria,LONG LIVE IGBO NDI NWE MMADU,LONG LIVE NAIRALANDERS,LONG LIVE ANAMBRA STATE.

1 Like

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by najoke: 6:55pm On Jan 29, 2015
Wuuworld:
It is more honourable to fold and seal ur vocal cavity than to open it widely and voice out senseless comments....I was there at the ground breaking ceremony of the second niger bridge,ever since then[b],I have visited the place twice [/b]and work have been going on there......Our Dearest President also visited there during his onitsha rally........itz high time we start to appreciate this God sent to our Generation called Jonathan Ebele Goodluck Azikiwe(Jega) before itz too late... LONG LIVE! Nigeria,LONG LIVE IGBO NDI NWE MMADU,LONG LIVE NAIRALANDERS,LONG LIVE ANAMBRA STATE.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......was at the ground breaking ceremony.......OK..........has visited the place twice.........GREAT!!!.....and
NO PIC.......NOT EVEN A SELFIE grin grin grin grin grin grin.........WE BELIEVE YOU grin

1 Like

Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by signz: 7:17pm On Jan 29, 2015
Remarkable:

[/b]This bridge has has seen more progress in GEJ's years than any other president. I will give GEJ my support for work to continue[b].

Gospel truth
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 29, 2015
I we vote in "buhari" nt APC in the comin election bt apc too we rain 4 8year another person we vote in

i guess is me
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by TonySpike: 7:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
giles14:
d u Knw dat mor Dan 70 percent of containers imported to Lagos pass tru dat bridge. n do u Knw d amount of load dat bridge carrys

You're wrong! It's actually 100% of all imported containers from Lagos that pass through that bridge. I wonder where you guys pull these unverified stats from.
Re: Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?) by Wuuworld(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2015
najoke:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......was at the ground breaking ceremony.......OK..........has visited the place twice.........GREAT!!!.....and
NO PIC.......NOT EVEN A SELFIE grin grin grin grin grin grin.........WE BELIEVE YOU grin
Bro am not d type that took pix whenever I vist...if I have to be doing it dt way,my memory wouldn't have be enough...and besides am not a girl

(1) (2) (Reply)

Viral: Young Nigerian Calls Buhari A BASTARD Because Of Traffic Congestion. / RIP To Akpabios Political Career / Peter Obi Leaked Audio Forensic Analysis (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.