Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,136 members, 7,807,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved (2158 Views)

13 Things You Will Recognize From Falling Sick In A Nigerian Home / 13 Things You’ll Find In Every Nigerian Bathroom (In Picture) / What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Tylan: 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2015
Extroverts and introverts have different needs. Where extroverts are social creatures, introverts are most certainly not. Extroverts may love small talk, but introverts hate it. It is important to be mindful of these differences so we can treat people well and be sensitive to their needs and feelings. If you know an introvert, do these 13 things to make them feel loved and appreciated.

1. Let them unwind before you ask questions about their day.

If you’re dating an introvert and they don’t seem talkative, please be patient with them. Let your partner rest in silence for an hour or two before you ask about their day. They will be able to respond more thoughtfully after they recharge.

2. Consider their schedule before you make plans.

If your partner is an introvert, then she probably won’t want to go to the bar after a busy day. Don’t be offended if she turns down that invite. Instead, ask her if she would be interested in going out on the weekend – or whenever she happens to be off.

3. Send them a meaningful email.

If you really want to get to know an introvert, send them an email. Introverts are bored by small talk, but love deep discussions. Most introverts are better writers than speakers. Thus, email trumps every other mode of communication for this personality type.

4. Ask for a table on the outskirts of a restaurant.

If you take an introvert to a packed restaurant, then they could feel uncomfortable due to all that stimulation. Avoid the center of a dining room. Ask the host or hostess if a window seat is available. Being away from the chaos will remove some pressure.

5. Slow down your speaking rate so they have time to process.

If you talk really fast, then you could accidentally overwhelm your introvert friends. Extroverts like to speak as thoughts occur to them. Introverts like to let a thought settle for a moment before they respond. Simply pausing for three seconds will give an introvert time to digest your sentences.

6. Don’t call them “shy” or “antisocial.”

If you label introverts in this way, then you obviously don’t understand them. I’m an introvert who acts in community theater and there’s nothing shy about that! Most introverts love to meet people. It’s just that while extroverts enjoy small talk, introverts would rather discuss deeper issues in a more intimate setting.

7. Find out what they are passionate about.

If you think an introvert is boring, then you haven’t dug deep enough. Introverts can be profound when you get them talking about their passion or purpose. They might even care about something so intensely that they view everything else as a distraction. And yes, this could make them appear to be aloof at times too.

8. Get comfortable with moments of silence.

If you want to show an introvert you care, do it with silence. It is possible to enjoy the presence of another person without filling the air with meaningless words. Greet a friend with a smile and gentle hug. Get in the car, turn on the radio, and enjoy the music. It’s time to let go of your need for constant conversation.

9. Be quiet during movies and television.

If you can’t resist commenting on every scene of a film, then you will drive introverts insane. Remember that they need silence to process information. Even if they seem quiet, their brain is busy formulating theories about where the story could be going. Save the commentary for after the movie. They will appreciate it.

10. Stop acting like something is “wrong.”

If you try to “fix” an introvert, then it will backfire. This especially occurs when extroverted parents assume something is wrong with their introverted children. They mistakenly label these kids “shy” without truly understanding them. Treating them like a project will only make them feel inferior. Accept them as they are.

11. Don’t leave them hanging at a social event.

If you abandon an introvert at a party, then they won’t be happy. You might be a social butterfly, but your introvert friend isn’t. It was scary enough for them to go to a crowded place where they don’t know anybody. If you leave them by themselves, they will feel highly intimidated, and maybe even go outside where it is less noisy.

12. Do invite them to small group gatherings.

If you think introverts don’t like people, then you’re misunderstood. They might not feel comfortable at a big party, but they typically enjoy low-key gatherings that involve five or less people.This gives introverts opportunity to have deep conversations and make new connections without draining their energy as much as a big party would.

13. Explain how you perceive the world differently.

If you’re an extrovert, don’t think I forgot about you. It’s interesting how two people can experience the world so differently. Introverts love to listen, so why don’t you tell us all about it? We would both benefit if we learned from each other. Maybe it will be easier to work together in harmony when we have a better understanding of our differences.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/13-things-you-can-make-introvert-feel-loved.html

Like My Facebook Page Here

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 30, 2015
Sum introverts are very nutty. Dem bad pass most extroverts sef.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
Cutehector4u:
Sum introverts are very nutty. Dem bad pass most extroverts sef.

person like seun?
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by ShakurM(m): 12:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
Respect their need for privacy

Never embarrass them in public

Let them observe first in new situations

Give them time 2 think

Don't interrupt them

Reprimand them privately

5 Likes

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by datjohn(m): 12:48pm On Jan 30, 2015
Quite a sensible piece, OP.
Many pple esp. extroverted parents get it twisted wit dia introverts kids, tinkin diaris somtin 'wrong' with d kids. (luv ur pt. No. 10).

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

person like seun?
u sabi am personaly?
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

person like seun?
u don meet am personally?
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by DankemzI(m): 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Mme kop
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by InZA: 12:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
Very well written piece.

Weldone OP.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 30, 2015
Nice tips.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by CoCoLav(f): 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
When they are reading leave them alone!!!!

My uncle needs to read this right now.

I can't even process what I'm reading... Coco this.... Coco that undecided undecided
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by mgbeketoto: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2015
If you be introvert, you nor go love yasef? undecided
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by eleojo23: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
This makes sense.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by davide470(m): 3:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
OK.

After 1 month of practising all that, when you get introvertly tired, sit down and ask yourself.. Dafuq
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by CoCoLav(f): 3:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
davide470:
OK.

After 1 month of practising all that, when you get introvertly tired, sit down and ask yourself.. Dafuq

'Introvertedly tired'

What does that mean? undecided
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by davide470(m): 4:13pm On Jan 30, 2015
CoCoLav:

'Introvertedly tired'

What does that mean? undecided
Introvertedly tired: \ˈin-trə-ˌvərtˈtī(ə)rd\(Adjective): When you are tired of trying to be an introvert in other to please an introvert, because she feels she cannot change from being an introvert.

1 Like

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by CoCoLav(f): 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
davide470:

Introvertedly tired: \ˈin-trə-ˌvərtˈtī(ə)rd\(Adjective): When you are tired of trying to be an introvert in other to please an introvert, because she feels she cannot change from being an introvert.

Oh I see...
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by undercat: 7:08pm On Jan 30, 2015
Sounds like introverts are weaker/at a disadvantage compared to extroverts.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
Introverts are good set of people unlike what some extroverts thinks, we are not 'lion in sheep clothing'
We are committed set of peeps when it comes to relationship stuff. I sometimes think being one is too boring, but then I realised I wouldn't like to be an extrovert either.
It's good to show love to introverts

1 Like

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by lovemaths(f): 1:40am On Jan 31, 2015
I am an introvert too and I like this post.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by 1miccza: 7:13am On Jan 31, 2015
Nice piece OP i am ano introvert and i understand this clearly
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Tylan: 8:33am On Jan 31, 2015
1miccza:
Nice piece OP i am ano introvert and i understand this clearly
smiley
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Tylan: 2:39pm On Jan 31, 2015
undercat:
Sounds like introverts are weaker/at a disadvantage compared to extroverts.
No they aren't. Both extroverts and introverts have their strong points and weak points.
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by kemiola89(f): 6:18pm On Feb 01, 2015
Simple and well-marshalled. I can relate to most, especially no 10. It took my family time to accept me for who i am, they thought I was being too secretive. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Isk(f): 5:27pm On Feb 02, 2015
davide470:
OK.

lolol
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by shyshally(f): 10:38pm On Feb 03, 2015
Don't ever say a hurtful thing to an introvert,hurtful words last longer in our minds than compliments and don't judge an introvert if you have not tried to understand them first of all,op are u an introvert like us?
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by datjohn(m): 1:36am On Feb 04, 2015
shyshally:
Don't ever say a hurtful thing to an introvert,hurtful words last longer in our minds than compliments and don't judge an introvert if you have not tried to understand them first of all,op are u an introvert like us?

U must really b of a shy personality, I hardly wud com across anyone who wud clearly admit dis in his/her username.
Its okay, feel free, errrhn...? grin grin
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by shyshally(f): 7:49am On Feb 04, 2015
datjohn:

U must really b of a shy personality, I hardly wud com across anyone who wud clearly admit dis in his/her username.
Its okay, feel free, errrhn...? grin grin
Am definitely not shy oh,its just a name a friend once gave me and I liked it,so I decided to use it,ur already breaking one of the rules oh,dnt call an introvert shy
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by datjohn(m): 5:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
shyshally:

Am definitely not shy oh,its just a name a friend once gave me and I liked it,so I decided to use it,ur already breaking one of the rules oh,dnt call an introvert shy

Ooooo... sorry, pardon my manners.
Guess I made a wrong assumption abt u then... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
But abt breakin d rules, guess I dint! grin
Since u said u aint! tongue
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by shyshally(f): 7:01pm On Feb 04, 2015
datjohn:

Ooooo... sorry, pardon my manners.
Guess I made a wrong assumption abt u then... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
But abt breakin d rules, guess I dint! grin
Since u said u aint! tongue

Lol,ok oh,I pardon u then
Re: 13 Things You Can Do To Make An Introvert Feel Loved by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 04, 2015
Mtcheeeeeew

(1) (Reply)

See The Photo A Couple Posted On Facebook That Has Gone Viral / Why Do Women Divorcees Still Bear Their Ex Husband's Name After Divorce / 5 Things You Should Never Post On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.