Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians (1344 Views)

N4 Billion Budget For Roads In Sambisa Forest And Border Communities-borno Gov't / 2019: New Power Bloc Takes Shape In Southwest - Daily Sun / APC Crisis: Akande’s Letter Angers Northern Party Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by 1LRNZH: 11:57am On Jan 31, 2015

Nigerians have knocked the Federal Government for its fresh promises which include generating 10,000 megawatts of electricity by 2016.

The public criticisms followed a statement made by the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, that the Federal Government had shifted its earlier target of generating 6,000MW of electricity before the end of 2014 to this year.

Nebo also said the Federal Government expects to get up to 10,000MW by 2016 and 12,500MW by 2017.

In reaction to the statement, a cross section of Nigerians who spoke to Power Talkback, expressed disappointment with government’s failure to ensure stable power supply in the country or keep to its promise of 6,000MW by the end of 2014, at the very least.

Some of the respondents also accused the Federal Government of continually shifting its targets in the power sector.

Meanwhile, a report published earlier this week said the country was currently losing 2,042.2 megawatts of electricity due to gas supply shortage and poor water management.

According to the report, the 411 G2 and G4 units of the Shiroro hydro power plant were currently losing 300MW, while the loss of 1,742.2MW was attributed to gas supply shortage at various legacy gas-fired power plants, including the National Integrated Power Project plants.

The information on the loss was contained in the daily broadcast of the Transmission Company of Nigeria obtained by one of our correspondents on earlier in the week.

A respondent, Mr. Matthew Oyedeji, said it was unfortunate that the Federal Government has so far failed to provide stable power supply in the country in spite of its recent privatisation of the sector.

Oyedeji, therefore, accused Nebo of deceiving Nigerians, adding that the Federal Government has had nothing to show for its previous promises.

He said, “You can see how the Federal Government has been shifting the goalpost; it’s not a sign of good leadership. There have been promises after promises but a few months before the target date, government will shift the date again.

“How can a country like South Africa be generating about 45,000MW and Nigeria will be struggling to generate 4,000MW. To start with, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa which means we should looking at generating 80,000MW. But rather, we are here talking about 6,000MW which government could not even achieve by the end of 2014.”

A resident of Sokoto, Mr. Ibrahim Olanrewaju, also blamed the Federal Government for the poor power supply in the country, saying it would still fail to meet up with the new targets.

He said, “I was in Ilorin, Kwara State and Ibadan, Oyo State recently and now I’m back in Sokoto State; I can tell you that in all these places, power supply is terrible. I get such unfortunate reports from other parts of the country, which shows that there is no part of the country that is left out when talking about poor power supply.

“I can assure that you that by the end of 2015, the 6,000MW target would be shifted to 2018, the target for 2017 would be moved to 2020 and the target for 2017 would be shifted to 2022. It’s not a curse; it’s what our government knows how to do very well. It’s like we lack the capacity to get these things right like other countries of the world.”

On the online platform of the The Punch, there have been similar comments knocking the government for its incessant promises and assurances which it has failed to meet up with. Some of the commentators also condemned the epileptic power supply in the country in spite of the electricity bills being paid by customers.

An online commentator identified as Gbenga, wrote, “I’m very angry, what kind of unseriousness is all this?”

Another commentator, Mide Midey, said, “Like I’ll always say, fix the electricity generation problem and Nigerians would fix the rest . We’re that resourceful and resilient. We just need that ‘stepping stone’ – stable electricity.”

Emmanuel Kalu, one of the online commentators, said, “It is absolutely crazy that we continue to get forecast that are never met. We continue to hear about vandalism and disruptions. Has it occurred to our Energy minister to demand that electricity generating companies have reserves of gas to operate for at least two months in case of gas shortage or vandalism?

“Most well operated companies have backup upon backup, you can’t continue to depend on constant supply of gas each day. It is time the government mandated these GENCOs to develop capability to store their gas for (up to) two months.”

According to Ben, “With near unlimited reserves of gas, any loss of power generation can only be attributed to incompetence and corruption.”

He described Nebo’s attempt to explain the situation as “simply futile.”

Nebo, had said, “We have an outlook for 2015 to 2017. People are saying you people said you will do 6,000MW, yes! We have the capacity standing, we now have the gas standing and we are going to do that shortly within this year. But beyond that; by 2016, we expect to get up to 10,000MW; and by 2017, to get 12,500MW.”

The mid-January statistics obtained from the ministry showed that peak generation on Wednesday was 4,405.6MW; energy generation, 4,000.63MW; and the energy sent out was 3,914.60MW. Peak demand was, however, put at 12,800MW.

On gas pipelines vandalism, Nebo also said the country lost an average of 1,000MW in 2014 as a result of the activities of vandals.

The AES barges 202-205 and 207-211 in Lagos are currently losing 288MW due to gas-related problems, while the Geregu NIPP GT 21 and 23 units have lost 290MW.

According to the TCN, the Rivers IPP GT1 is losing 160MW, while the Ihovbor GT2 has a deficit of 112.5MW.

The Omotosho NIPP GT1 and 4, and Sapele ST2 units are said to be losing 240MW and 70MW, respectively.

The Egbin ST1 and 3 units have capacity to generate 660MW, but are currently doing 467MW; meaning a loss of 193MW.

The Omotosho Gas GTI, 3, 5-8 units have a combined capacity of 228MW, but are doing 146.2MW; thus recording a loss of 81.8MW.

Also, the Olorunsogo Gas GT1-4, 7 and 8 units, with capacity for 228MW, are generating just 161.1MW and losing 66.9MW due to gas shortage.

Peak generation for the country as of Tuesday was put at 3,865.4MW, while 3,331.5MW was the figure for off-peak generation.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/power-talkback/consumers-knock-fg-for-setting-fresh-power-supply-targets/
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by InwehAkpevwe(m): 12:01pm On Jan 31, 2015
Na now una 1 start?
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by midolian(m): 12:04pm On Jan 31, 2015
Let them bring heaven down to nigeria..

We have DECIDED
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by Zeezy99: 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2015
Even if you give GEJ 100yrs, he will still be too clueless to ever achieve anything.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by ArchEnemy(m): 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2015
This is how people loose trust
When they cant meet up with targets
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by LRNZH(m): 12:09pm On Jan 31, 2015
Are these people not ashamed?
Failed promises daily....
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by obontami: 12:12pm On Jan 31, 2015
#VoteGMB2015
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by Tenim47(m): 12:12pm On Jan 31, 2015
Ex president just dey waste Im money

. fomer president gonathan just wan spend all d money make buhari no mit any money chai

1 Like

Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by besttrader: 12:18pm On Jan 31, 2015
I know one thing for sure GEJ and OBJ are both failures, between 1999 - 2007 OBJ squandered $16 billion in his giagantic power projects that supposedly entered the Guinness Book of Records as the biggest power project any country could ever embark upon. To help you understand how daft all the folks who have ran this country are, I recently bumped into a news on CCTV about Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam, and I then checked it online.

The dam costs the govt. of Ethiopia $4.8 billion and it has an Installed capacity of 6,000 MW, well it's being constructed at a record time of 6 years and it is the biggest hydroelectric project in Africa currently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ethiopian_Renaissance_Dam

If one extrapolates this to Nigeria, this project would be estimated to take 20 years and will never be completed. My point is all these past and present rulers are all failures. GEJ is the latest failure and has earned it real good. He had 6 years and should have corrected the power woes of Nigeria. I've critically looked at the power infrastructures we currently have and the privatization drive, we won't have stable power in the next 6 years, my earnest forecast, especially looking at the body language of politicians in Nigerians and how projects are being executed. Someone has to now accumulate the power expenditures under GEJ's 6 years to understand how much of a waste we have endured in this country, they run in billions of dollars.

For a country like Nigeria and all the wealth at its disposal, crude oil sales et al, we deserve a whole lot. It's like a rich friend sending $1 million to another friend in the US to get him an exotic car, his friend ships down a Honda Discussion Continues grin and tells his friend back in Nigeria to bear with him that it is the best he can do with that amount. Just think about it!!

These politicians are all shitheads!!

1 Like

Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by enoqueen: 12:20pm On Jan 31, 2015
I beg make this yeye man go sit down.

All we need from him now is for him to pack his things back to otueke.

GMB FEBRUARY 2015.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by jars9: 12:22pm On Jan 31, 2015
All this things would take time anywhere in the world go ask,in china they have been trying to shift from coal to renewable and sustainable energy generation, I watched with keen interest and discovered that it's almost impossible for them because a lot of their business men or captain of industries have invested a lot in coal for some of them it's the only business they know and making a shift to greener forms of energy would take alot of time and sensitization to make these same people shift from coal to green a source of energy investment, in Nigeria the federal government needs to allow those generator importers invest in power some are even sabotaging the federal government efforts to provide power,but I know with time power supply would be steady and I believe GEJ want to genuinely solve the power problems lets not forget that some men in high places have invested in the importation of heavy duty generators and these guys are ready to sabotage every efforts of the federal government.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by LRNZH(m): 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2015
besttrader:
I know one thing for sure GEJ and OBJ are both failures, between 1999 - 2007 OBJ squandered $16 billion in his giagantic power projects that supposedly entered the Guinness Book of Records as the biggest power project any country could ever embark upon. To help you understand how daft all the folks who have ran this country are, I recently bumped into a news on CCTV about Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam, and I then checked it online.

The dam costs the govt. of Ethiopia $4.8 billion and it has an Installed capacity of 6,000 MW, well it's being constructed at a record time of 6 years and it is the biggest hydroelectric project in Africa currently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ethiopian_Renaissance_Dam

If one extrapolates this to Nigeria, this project would be estimated to take 20 years and will never be completed. My point is all these past and present rulers are all failures. GEJ is the latest failure and has earned it real good. He had 6 years and should have corrected the power woes of Nigeria. I've critically looked at the power infrastructures we currently have and the privatization drive, we won't have stable power in the next 6 years, my earnest forecast, especially looking at the body language of politicians in Nigerians and how projects are being executed. Someone has to now accumulate the power expenditures under GEJ's 6 years to understand how much of a waste we have endured in this country, they run in billions of dollars.

For a country like Nigeria and all the wealth at its disposal, crude oil sales et al, we deserve a whole lot. It's like a rich friend sending $1 million to another friend in the US to get him an exotic car, his friend ships down a Honda Discussion Continues grin and tells his friend back in Nigeria to bear with him that it is the best he can with that amount. Just think about it!!

Permit me to use this information in this thread with link below. This exposes so much. I'll acknowledge you. wink
https://www.nairaland.com/2067016/photos-10-billion-us-dollars
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 31, 2015
We already know that the promises won't be fulfilled. They can't deceive us all the time. Their end is at hand.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by crownprince102: 12:32pm On Jan 31, 2015
Just as they gave us the one they promise. Vote them at your own peril
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by phlemzy: 12:35pm On Jan 31, 2015
I don't know if the privatisation was a good or bad one but all I know is that after it was done,I now enjoy lesser hours of power supply. GEJ is working! Nebo is working!
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 31, 2015
K, let's think for a sec.

If gas pipelines are constantly being vandalized, then why not shift focus to COAL as a primary source of energy like other developed countries do?

Contries like U.S, South Africa and so on, have coal accounting for over 40% of their fuel sources for power supply, while Natural Gas comes in at a much lower percentage.

There is coal sitting idle in Enugu.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by YOMIT(m): 12:55pm On Jan 31, 2015
ogbeni Clueless Jona Phd. If you like promise 20k mw, Me don decide sha
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by slimfit1(m): 1:01pm On Jan 31, 2015
When we give professors the work to do they can't still come up with answers big shame.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by LRNZH(m): 1:04pm On Jan 31, 2015
slimfit1:
When we give professors the work to do they can't still come up with answers big shame.

What I don't understand is why they're bringing up this power issue now just before FeBuhari 14th.
So much failed promises and they are getting Nigerians to be angrier close to the elections by making another set of promises that will still fail.

Clueless strategists in PDP.
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by baybeeboi: 1:28pm On Jan 31, 2015
i want GEJ back but I'd luv that they stop talking.
We now see all this as noise..and the weather is too hot already.
GEJ till..............
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by obiZEAL(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2015
...and some PDP e-touts and e-diots will use generator to charge their phone and come and write GEJ till 2019...
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by LRNZH(m): 1:43pm On Jan 31, 2015
baybeeboi:
i want GEJ back but I'd luv that they stop talking.
We now see all this as noise..and the weather is too hot already.
GEJ till..............

....FeBuhari 14th
You're one of those clamoring for the continuation of failure
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by apcmustwin(f): 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2015
Buhari gbori wole.......
Osinbajo gbori wole......
Jonathan ko ori buruku jade!
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by besttrader: 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2015
LRNZH:

Permit me to use this information in this thread with link below. This exposes so much. I'll acknowledge you. wink
https://www.nairaland.com/2067016/photos-10-billion-us-dollars

No worries on that! You know some foolks don't understand the magnitude of the funds stolen from Nigerian by past and present leaders (State Governors & LGAs inclusive), you need to measure them up with the worth of projects overseas. You'll then understand where we would have been by now.

You can also look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_development_projects_in_Dubai

We need to jail all these thieves for the backwardness they've cost our country!
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by olas24u(f): 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2015
Bloody lies!
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by hahn(m): 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2015
besttrader:

That's a compliment.

Poo is too precious to be in their brains. I believe their heads are full of toxic wastes
Re: GEJ'S Gov't Issues New Power Supply Target; Angers Nigerians by baybeeboi: 4:14pm On Jan 31, 2015
LRNZH:

....FeBuhari 14th
You're one of those clamoring for the continuation of failure
and you should be one of those clamoring for violence

(1) (Reply)

Fayose Arrests Former Governor Kayode Fayemi People, Plans To Rig Election . / Bomb Blast Hits President Goodluck Jonathan Rally(photo) / Bakare Revealed.. Is Osinbajo A Phase For Amaechi To Take Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.