Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:38 AM

Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la (669 Views)

2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain / Dino Melaye In ABU To Collect His Certificate (Photos) / See Photos Of The Woman Who Cried As Buhari Received His Certificate From INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la by tafabaloo(m): 8:23pm On Jan 31, 2015
National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (ACP), Alhaji Lai Mohammed, speaks with KATE ANI on issues bordering on the build-up to next month’s general elections. Excerpts:

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused APC of being behind the attacks on President Goodluck Jonathan’s convoy in the North during his campaign. What is your take on that?

It is not so. After all, even the governor of Bauchi State, Isa Yuguda, who is a member of the PDP, confirmed that it was PDP that is responsible for the attacks; that it was the fallout of a political rivalry between him and Minister for the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). In Katsina, it was again the PDP that was responsible. In Plateau, it was infighting in the PDP. So, nobody can hold us responsible for the violence.

Are you saying this because you are an APC member?

Is Yuguda also a member of the opposition party?

What is your take on the hoopla about General Muhammadu Buhari’s certificate? While some are saying that he forged his certificate, others kept asking why he lied under oath about its whereabouts. Don’t you think it will affect his chances of winning the election?

On the contrary, I think what Nigerians are saying is that even if all he has to show is a NEPA bill, they will vote for him. If you look at the polls conducted by AIT (African Independent Television) recently, they had to shut it down because Buhari was beating Jonathan by 75 per cent. Having said that, the issue of certificate is cooked up by the PDP because they know that Buhari is a threat to them and more than qualified to win the election. Where was PDP in 2011, 2007 and 2003, when he (Buhari) contested for the presidential election? Are you saying that a man who used to be a General in the Nigerian Army does not have a privilege of a school certificate? Can anybody in his right sense except PDP, who are so desperate, start peddling this kind of rumour?

Why do you think the PDP is laying emphasis on his qualifications?

Because they are terrified that he is going to win.  You see, all looters, all saboteurs, all corrupt people are afraid of Buhari coming to power and they are taking all measures to weaken his growing popularity. But the common people want him to win the election because he is going to clean this country.

But he has contested three times and lost. What makes you think he will be lucky this time?

If you failed at something once, twice or thrice, won’t you try again?

If he loses the election, do you think he will concede defeat and congratulate Jonathan?

You should ask Jonathan that question; that if Buhari wins, will he congratulate him because from all indications, he is going to win? And again, help us ask Jonathan why he wants to postpone the election.

Jonathan never said he wanted the election postponed; the statement was credited to the National Security Adviser…

Go to page eleven of Wednesday’s Punch Newspaper and see the advertorial by the PDP. That will convince you beyond doubt that it is Jonathan that is behind the planned postponement of the election.

The National Security Adviser said the reason is the problem of distribution of PVCs to voters.

If INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission) tells us that they are ready for election, so be it. It is not for the NSA to tell us that election will not hold anywhere. He has no cause to say that.

You recently alleged that Dr Doyin Okupe said Jonathan said he would rather have the military take over than hand over power to the APC candidate.  How true was the statement and don’t you think you are heating up the polity with such a claim?

Yes, he did say that and Doyin Okupe has not denied it and neither has the presidency denied it. They should not try anything funny, because it won’t be easy for them.

What are the chances of APC winning the election next month?

I am sure we are going to win the election, by the grace of God, if it is free and credible. In fact, it must be free, fair and credible. The only person that can make the election free and fair is the president, if he decides to be neutral. He controls the security agencies and INEC.

What will Buhari do differently to improve the economy if elected the president?

He will act on the manifesto of our party which believes that Nigeria must be weaned from dangerous addiction to oil. Today, oil alone accounts for 80 per cent of our public spending. That is why when the price of oil goes down, we would be in trouble. So, what Buhari will do is to invest in the productive sector like agriculture and look at other areas like tourism and sport which, we are sure, will grow our economy. As a party, we will move Nigeria forward, again, by investing massively in public work programmes.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has deplored Buhari’s statement on his commitment to Sharia. People are afraid that he might Islamise Nigeria. That is probably the reason Bishop Oyedepo allegedly threatened to open the gate of hell on those who don’t want peace to reign in the country. Do you think Buhari will get the support of Christians?

I would rather not comment on Bishop Oyedepo. However, whoever says that Buhari will Islamise Nigeria is being mischievous and ignorant. Buhari was Head of State between 1984 and 1985. The Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters, Major General Tunde Idiagbon, was also a Muslim, yet, he did not turn Nigeria into an Islamic state. So, how can you now say that Buhari will Islamise Nigeria?

Some of your critics call you ‘Lying’ (Lai) Muhammed, accusing you of distorting facts and using propaganda to prosecute opposition politics. How would you react to this?

I don’t care what they call me but let them fight me with facts and not on emotions. Let them come out and tell me one thing that I have said that is not true. They know that I am very blunt and I say things as they are. So, whoever calls me ‘Lying’ Muhammed should be checked.

Buhari says that he is poor, but can he really be, being a former Head of State. It was even alleged that his nomination form was bought for him by Timipre Sylvia?

I don’t know who bought his form for him, but on the issue of his financial status, you should ask Buhari himself. But on a more serious note, he is the only Nigerian I know to have been a minister, head of state and yet, has no personal house in either Lagos or Abuja. What is bothering some people is the man’s integrity. He is the only man who refused to accept, on the grounds of morality, N23 million that is paid monthly to former heads of state. He would rather take only 10 per cent of it. Why are people worried that he is upright, honest? He is the kind of man we need in Nigeria today to help us fight corruption, which has brought us to where we are today.

So, who are the moneybags behind Buhari?

I will name them now. The moneybags behind Buhari are the masses of this country.

What is your take on NCC’s ban on your party’s platform to donate money to his campaign?

It is just another plot of the PDP not to provide a level playing ground. If they can advertise on television, radio and newspapers, is telephone not also a means of communication?  And yet, everyday, private companies use this telephone for their promotions, to sell their products, sell houses and even pass information about their companies. Why is it now criminal or wrong for APC to also use that platform to raise money? We are taking them to court and have already started the process.

What is the guarantee that elections will be successful in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states? 

INEC has assured that they would conduct elections there and we don’t need further proof or assurance.

Lagos State PDP has vowed to take over the state this year…

They vowed in 2003, 2007 and 2011. Let them continue to vow, don’t stop them. We are used to their empty vows.

The party’s governorship candidate in the state, Jimi Agbaje, was one of you in the Alliance for Democracy (AD). Are you still relating with him?

On a personal note, yes. I have known him since our days in the University of Ife. Of course, we relate very well, why not?

Your press release, in which you asked the president to look in the mirror, has been described as demeaning the office and the person of the president. What do you say to that?

You see, Jonathan is a politician and I am also a politician and when I asked Jonathan to look in the mirror and see who really he is referring to, it was a reaction to Jonathan’s statement. You see, you must understand one thing: if you don’t like a smell and cannot stand the heat, you should get out. You can’t be in politics and expect that your opponents will not throw bricks at you or laugh at you. The problem here is that these people lack sense of humour. Because you are the president doesn’t mean that the opposition should be pampering you. It happens everywhere in the world. Why should we have this mentality that because he is the president, we should not criticise him?

What is your take on the European Union’s decision not to monitor election in the North-East?

They have a right to say that. We are talking about their safety, their lives. That does not mean that we are not holding elections in the North-East.

Why is it that many APC and PDP leaders in Lagos have their children contesting elections and shut out others?

My child happens to be one of them and they all have constitutional rights. If, for instance, 40 people are contesting for the House of Assembly and there are three or four politicians’ children among them, I don’t think there is anything to it. They are Nigerians and have the right to contest. It is left for the voters to decide whether or not they want them.

Many people believe that Senator Bola Tinubu is the one bankrolling Buhari’s election campaign and that Buhari may become his puppet when he gets to power…

Is it possible in democratic settings to hijack power from the president or become a politician’s puppet? People simply have a morbid fear of Tinubu. That is simply ridiculous. 

What is your take on Governor Ayo Fayose’s advertorial against Buhari?

Frankly speaking, that advertorial is consistent with the personality of Fayose.  Who else can do that kind of advertisement if not him?

APC is notorious for reacting to attacks. How come you people haven’t reacted to it?

We did but our comment was more civilised than the advert.

How do you unwind?

By treating questions as we are doing now. I am enjoying myself as we speak.
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la by saaedlee: 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2015
We know how it is even without this interview.

Meanwhile, why don't we do it this way;

1. Go to you Polling Centre on the 14th of Febuhari.
2. Cast your votes
3. Protect your Votes till it has been counted.

Number 4 is complusory...

4. Stay, watch and hear General Muhammadu Buhari declared Winner

5. Dance Shoki
6. Repeat 5 till May29th

#SaiBuhari

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la by psucc(m): 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2015
Yes ooooh. Gbam!!!!!!!!!

Howbeit only obtainable in Federal Republic of APC.
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Elect Buhari Even With ‘NEPA Bill’ As His Certificate —la by hyfr(m): 9:26pm On Jan 31, 2015
Oga please stop Generalizing the issue. You should say that you are going to vote him with nepa certificate not Nigerians. OLODO feeling brainy

(1) (Reply)

If Buhari Wins, I Promise to Relocate To Sudan / Young Boy Abducted, Starved, And Chained To Bed In Retaliation For Leaked Ekiti / We’ll Revenge Attack On Ndigbo In North –ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.