Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) (14308 Views)

Guy Goes Naked In UNILAG ' Worshipping God '. / Taiwo Bankole & Oyindamola Omotuyi Graduate With 5.0 CGPA In UNILAG (Pics) / Adeyeye Olorunfemi Rusticated In UNILAG For Facebook Write Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 1:35pm On Feb 01, 2015
DISCLAIMER!!!
All human names and characters used here are fictitious, though its based on my personal experience in akoka. Please note that in no way or manner have I attempted to attack any personality or body of organization in the write-up below. If the shoe fits then its just a mere coincidence.
I've written this article out of my interest for free writing.
Do have a nice time reading this.
Gate! gate! gate!
That was what the driver kept repeating until
I entered the shuttle, still wondering when the bus was going to get filled. Then it occurred to me as a shock when people started moving in, before one could say Jack Robinson the bus was ready to leave.
I was so busy looking at the tiled road of Yaba as the bus zoomed off that I didn't hear the driver who was already shouting ignorantly.. -Money from the back! way your money na-
Oh my. I said. Still wondering if he was talking to me. How much is my money!? I asked, directing the question to nobody. Immediately, everyone knew I must be a fresher. ... .... .... ....
Soon we were starring into the vast space at the front of UNILAG GATE.
Wow! One could have thought he was in the states .- Mtcheww see this one sha, I'm sure its one of the pranks played by Nigeria universities. - First impression thingy- but it looked like Unilag has more tricks. All these kept racing in my mind until I heard a deep voice from my side say something like over... .... .....
New hall!!...its the driver again but this time I think he's talking to everybody. Almost everyone got down, so to avoid any awkward moment I alighted too.
Wow, wow, wow. Am Iseeing another Unilag
Its my second week as a fresher and the first time I'll ever leave campus and come in late at night. But I'm still doubting if this is the unilag I've been seeing for days.
... The red lights or should I say dark yellow lights illuminating everywhere but in a modest manner making the palm tree-like ornamental trees look like they were touching the sky. And the endless tiled roads. Branching into different corners. I was looking at forte oil filling station and at the same time looking at the nice view of the mosque accompanied with a serene view of churches, one that looked like a catholic church and some other churches. Oh! Wait, a church beside a mosque? Cool.. Perfect.What a wonderful blend of religion! Great. At that moment I felt like reciting the National anthem.
No wonder they say Unilag is the nation's pride.
One could appreciate a school no more than this.
The wonderful display of nature's beauty while hiding its faults. Yeah, I thought they usually say a swampy land is of no use. A moment! did I say swampy? Crabs!!! yeah look at that crab trying to dodge the traffic. Bwhahahahaha. Poor little thing.
....I was soon attracting attention with my laughter. So I just moved forward and swayed across the road like a confused Zebra, crossed through to the other side and made entrance into New Hall.
.... The students of Unilag, they must be as classy as they've been portrayed so let me just watch my steps just then I bumped into this nice looking lady.
Are you confused or something? She said.
Sor...sorry I'm going to Sodeinde hall pls.. I said.
Still not sure if she heard me. This time I repeated myself but in a louder tone. Then she said Oh, see that build over there, she pointed as I was busy appreciating her anatomy.She was still pointingat one big hall looking innocent . I stopped for a while, focused my attention on the hall at then showed her a perplexed look.
Is that...Sodeinde?
She nodded and smiled, surprised ehn? Then she walked away.
I was still doubting my eyes and ears and probably my definition of consciousness.Come to think of it This can't be the notorious Sodeinde, at least not as portrayed on the web! I don't think anybody in this hall is capable of playing the role of Dracula'. Am I getting anything wrong or are they getting everything wrong?
I just stood at the front of the gate for a while and then brought out my Phone , called my course rep and gave him my assignment.
Its high time I left for my hall Biobaku hall -the hall for the gentle guys-.Wait let me get some suya. I said to myself.
Standing before the suya man. Hey! How much be that Suya?
200 naira. He said, without paying attention while spraying oil on the raw meat.
Ah?? Why na.
This one na Special!
Special ko, abeg gimme the one wey no special, yeah that one! Cut hundred naira own for me. Ah wetin, shey dis one na taste ni? Why e come small like this?
...Oh Lord, no patience like that of an hausa man. The guy just stood there looking at me, he didn't even fake a smile. .
Then I heard something like a lady's voice behind me.
'Hey, you again.She said while smiling at me.'
Eh mm.. Hi. *I was thinking fast as a sharp guy*
You look familiar,have I seen you somewhere or something? I said trying hard not to smile back. But this pretty young lady was working magic with her smile.
'Of course, unless you have a poor memory. You can't possibly forget the face of your helper. She said just before she added 'Duur'.
I quickly gathered myself and said ' Oh, I'm Jay. *stretching my hand out* Nice to meet you. I'm Shola. She said. ... .... ....
.If there is anything different about Unilag its the fact that the Unilag we know is quite different at night . The beautiful romantic view along senate building, a place called love garden, where you always see lovers hanging around.
New hall and its craze. Suya spots, lovers holding hands. Girls moving in threes. Guys moving in twos. Rap battle, diss, freestyle and all that. New hall is known for its noise. Always bubbling.
Education and its serene environment, I heard there is another love garden there too, never had the time to confirm it.
I might need to add that Unilag is not complete at night without publicity noise for one thing or the other. Usually a bus carrying 10 to 15 people screaming and yelling 'come for this, come for that.
Akoka, indeed and in truth...
to be continued...

Pls comment. Support ur boi!!! Episode 2 will soon be available... I need ur ginger.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by 2special(m): 1:42pm On Feb 01, 2015
d higher ur G.P,the lower ur B.P and vice-versa.....

2 Likes

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by mikeayus(m): 1:43pm On Feb 01, 2015
swagglordbm:
DISCLAIMER!!!
All human names and characters used here are fictitious, though its based on my personal experience in akoka. Please note that in no way or manner have I attempted to attack any personality or body of organization in the write-up below. If the shoe fits then its just a mere coincidence.
Gate! gate! gate!
I entered the shuttle, still wondering when the bus was going to get filled. Then it occurred to me as a shock when people started moving in, before one could say Jack Robinson the bus was ready to leave.
I was so busy looking at the tiled road of Yaba as the bus zoomed off that I didn't hear the driver who was already shouting ignorantly.. -Money from the back! way your money na-
Oh my. I said. Still wondering if he was talking to me. How much is my money!? I asked, directing the question to nobody. Immediately, everyone knew I must be a fresher. ... .... .... ....
Wow! One could have thought he was in the states .- Mtcheww see this one sha, I'm sure its one of the pranks played by Nigeria universities. - First impression thingy- but it looked like Unilag has more tricks. All these kept racing in my mind until I heard a deep voice from my side say something like over... .... .....
New hall!!...its the driver again but this time I think he's talking to everybody. Almost everyone got down, so to avoid any awkward moment I alighted too.
Its my second week as a fresher and the first time I'll ever leave campus and come in late at night. But I'm still doubting if this is the unilag I've been seeing for days.
... The red lights or should I say dark yellow lights illuminating everywhere but in a modest manner making the palm tree-like ornamental trees look like they were touching the sky. And the endless tiled roads. Branching into different corners. I was looking at forte oil filling station and at the same time looking at the nice view of the mosque accompanied with a serene view of churches, one that looked like a catholic church and some other churches. Oh! Wait, a church beside a mosque? Cool.. Perfect.What a wonderful blend of religion! Great. At that moment I felt like reciting the National anthem.
The wonderful display of nature's beauty while hiding its faults. Yeah, I thought they usually say a swampy land is of no use. A moment! did I say swampy? Crabs!!! yeah look at that crab trying to dodge the traffic. Bwhahahahaha. Poor little thing.
....I was soon attracting attention with my laughter. So I just moved forward and swayed across the road like a confused Zebra, crossed through to the other side and made entrance into New Hall.
.... The students of Unilag, they must be as classy as they've been portrayed so let me just watch my steps just then I bumped into this nice looking lady.
Still not sure if she heard me. This time I repeated myself but in a louder tone. Then she said Oh, see that build over there, she pointed as I was busy appreciating her anatomy.She was still pointingat one big hall looking innocent . I stopped for a while, focused my attention on the hall at then showed her a perplexed look.
Is that...Sodeinde?
I was still doubting my eyes and ears and probably my definition of consciousness.Come to think of it This can't be the notorious Sodeinde, at least not as portrayed on the web! I don't think anybody in this hall is capable of playing the role of Dracula'. Am I getting anything wrong or are they getting everything wrong?
I just stood at the front of the gate for a while and then brought out my Phone , called my course rep and gave him my assignment.
Its high time I left for my hall Biobaku hall -the hall for the gentle guys-.Wait let me get some suya. I said to myself.
200 naira. He said, without paying attention while spraying oil on the raw meat.
Ah?? Why na.
This one na Special!
Special ko, abeg gimme the one wey no special, yeah that one! Cut hundred naira own for me. Ah wetin, shey dis one na taste ni? Why e come small like this?
...Oh Lord, no patience like that of an hausa man. The guy just stood there looking at me, he didn't even fake a smile. .
You look familiar,have I seen you somewhere or something? I said trying hard not to smile back. But this pretty young lady was working magic with her smile.
'Of course, unless you have a poor memory. You can't possibly forget the face of your helper. She said just before she added 'Duur'.
I quickly gathered myself and said ' Oh, I'm Jay. *stretching my hand out* Nice to meet you. I'm Shola. She said. ... .... ....
.If there is anything different about Unilag its the fact that the Unilag we know is quite different at night . The beautiful romantic view along senate building, a place called love garden, where you always see lovers hanging around.
New hall and its craze. Suya spots, lovers holding hands. Girls moving in threes. Guys moving in twos. Rap battle, diss, freestyle and all that. New hall is known for its noise. Always bubbling.
Education and its serene environment, I heard there is another love garden there too, never had the time to confirm it.
I might need to add that Unilag is not complete at night without publicity noise for one thing or the other. Usually a bus carrying 10 to 15 people screaming and yelling 'come for this, come for that.
to be continued...

Pls comment. Support ur boi!!! Episode 2 will soon be available... I need ur ginger.
well said...bro pls ff back
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by busterr(m): 1:57pm On Feb 01, 2015
i lost interest before i reach the 3rd paragraph.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by EmmGee: 4:21pm On Feb 01, 2015
guy please carry on..

wonderful write up.

you should be a professional writer

1 Like

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by liveyourlife: 5:17pm On Feb 01, 2015
Please edit properly
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
busterr:
i lost[b]interested[/b] before i got to the 3rd paragraph.
chai this your gbagaun fit raise dry bones just like the days of Ezekiah grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 6:03pm On Feb 01, 2015
EmmGee:
guy please carry on..

wonderful write up.

you should be a professional writer
Thanks Baba... I'll consider it.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2015
swagglordbm:
DISCLAIMER!!!
Gate! gate! gate!
Is that...Sodeinde?
Ah?? Why na.
This one na Special!
to be continued...

Episode 2 is now available on my blog.
Follow this link. http://scientifipedia..com/2015/01/life-in-unilag-episode-2.html
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by busterr(m): 7:25pm On Feb 01, 2015
FriedPlantain:
chai this your gbagaun fit raise dry bones just like the days of our Ezekiah grin
i swear i diint type that believe me. lemme modify it anyway, but this is a blackmail
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 7:37pm On Feb 01, 2015
liveyourlife:
Please edit properly
you shud state my mistakes .. trust me i'll correct 'em

1 Like

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 7:38pm On Feb 01, 2015
.Griii...griiii....griiii
That was my phone vibrating in My pocket.
I hardly put my phone in the normal or loud mode. Well maybe coz I'm always in official places. Like
I go for lectures, then I go to the library, at times mosque, at times inaugural lectures and at times inaugural sleep comes in between all these. I def don't want to wake up to my phone constituting a nuisance with its -I'm looking for caro- ring tone. So I just subscribe to the vibrate-profile mode.
That fateful night I was in the library. I was half-frustrated and still trying to decipher Calculus.
Why can't I just get this concept? Why didn't I just take further maths back in Secondary school? Why is Calculus now Turning up in almost all my courses? Especially physics, is this a set up or what? All these questions and many more kept racing at the centre of my mind as I frowned at the family-biscuit-sized textbook at my front Titled 'Calculus' under the sleep-inducing A.C of Unilag's main library. Mind you, there are a lot of textbooks like that in the library that can't help you unless you're in year two, three or in your finals.
Oh my gp! Who is this one again? I asked.
Brought out my phone and stared into the screen like a blind bat.
Arhh, its Shola. The girl I met last three nights. Why is she calling me nah! OooO why now when I'm in the middle of the calculus sea?
.... .....Egbfsvstgv....ewhvdhy..hetgvsbnsu. I CLEARED MY THROAT.
And in my lowest and most romantic tone ever; -you sure don't want the librarian to hear you- I said;
Hello who I'm I talking to? (pretending as if I dnt know She's the one on the line)
Jay, I'm sure you have a fish brain. She said
( then I looked at all the scattered books in my front, well maybe its true. Maybe that's why I didn't get this Calculus)
Hello! Shola so its you? How are you nw? How was your day? How is your night? Did you go for any lecture today? What was it like? Are you good for now? Can we talk later? Can you hang up?
I asked all these questions and was still planning to add more like -Can you keep your phone in your pocket? Can you disappear from this planet for now? And all that.
Then I heard a sweet tone:
Jay you sure do have a fish brain. Can we talk? Can we see tonight?
Sure but not now. I said. Smiling at my table until I caught sight of the Calculus textbook and my mood changed.
I'll call you when I'm in new hall. I said just before the line dropped.
..... ......
...... ...... ...... .......
....... ...... .....That's me reading calculus textbook like....'''....'-:?/?;:!!(
Soon the book was beginning to bore me.
I checked my watch. Time was 8:17pm. I usually leave the library by 8:30 but that night 8:30 seemed to have been caught up in a deadly traffic congestion and I def can't wait for it to come. You know what I mean.
..... ..... ..... ........ ...I left the library and was heading towards new hall. No shuttle, so I walked. Thanks to relativity I was even faster than any campus shuttle.
....Hmm ... New hall and its craze.....
There was this rap battle that was going on. I felt like waiting to feel the vibe yes The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. So I just picked a punchline that was like ;
You've been squat ting in Sodeinde for Six years now, nigga get a life or better still get a bed space.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahah. What a mean fellow! ....Tsk tsk.
{ Hello I'm at the front of your hall. Come downstairs. }
...Within few minutes I saw Shola coming towards me, perhaps today is christmas I thought. Or her birthday. Coz She was wearing a nice 'piece' of cloth, yeah nice -piece- coz I'm sure it was in no way quantity-enough to be called a cloth. Something more like a patch patch attire.
Hi! Since!! { She waved and when she got near we then shook hands. }
I was in the library, what's up. I said.
I'm good. So that means you've not eaten tonight? She asked.
Yeah. I don't really...ehm. (She cuts in)
Shut up. I cooked rice. Do you care for some? {She said. And continued} I can get you some.
Oh that's good. Thanks. -We walked towards her hall- She went upstairs and within five minutes she was back.
... We sat somewhere around the flowers at the front of her hall gisting. I was eating and laughing. ...{I finished eating sooner than she expected tho.} We continued talking for like 30minutes. Talking about everything that passed.
.... .... ...It was time to go to my hall. And She wanted to see me off. Hmm. I should have objected but instead I fell for the trap.
As we left her hall. We starting walking in that 1meter per day speed. Taking our time to gist about everything that's in sight.
...Hmm. There is this popular Yoruba adage. 'One doesn't go to the house of an elderly person without taking things like money or gifts along'
Unilag.
Soon we walked pass the first suya man.
Then another, and another. And then another. We were still talking. Trying to ignore the fact that Unilag's Suya is the best in west africa.
All of a sudden, I heard a lady's voice {screaming Shola}.
It was one Shola-like figure. Like 3meters away. Standing beside a Chicken and chips seller. Choi!!! I smell trouble...
{We walked in that trouble-promising direction.}
...Hiiiii Shola where to?
Heyyy. Jenny meet my new friend {she said and continued} I'm seeing him off to his hall.
.. Hello I'm Jay {shook hands with her}
Jenny smiled and then said.. Uhhm. Will you guys wait for me to get my chicken n chips so we can all go together.
Immediately I knew this must be a big set-up.
Choi!!!... I get to eat a nice plate of rice at the expense of paying for these ladies s' chicken n chips.
Urhbshzshv:j..hdhhuabHdxb. I CLEARED my already blocked throat.
Wait for you ? Ooops sorry I have to open the room for my roommates. I keep the key. {I said. Showing off the key in my hand. Hmm Sharp guy I thought until she smiled back and said } well you don't have to wait. Pay the guy and let's Go. We'll get it when we're coming back.
I brought my wallet out. Stretched out a thousand naira note towards the guy with that Mallam-you-fall-my-hand-look.
.... .... ..... ..... ..... .....
We left for my hall gisting And laughing out loud (even tho I was faking mine)
What a night! Well I tell you it was worth it.
I and Shola became close friends and I ate a lot of nice plates of rice after that one. Well As a Sharp guy I always leave her hall late to avoid those chicken n chips sellers.
to be continued...
Episode 3 Biobaku Saga 'My experience in Biobaku hall'
Coming soon.

1 Like

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 7:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
*dancing sakem* my very first post on nairaland is trending. Fp tinzzz

arrrh shoki shoki arrh grin shocked grin

THANKS TO EVERYONE

*abeg bring 4 gallons of kunu for everybody*

hey you, y u no dea drink ur kunu na sad oya cheer up jhare undecided
grin ehm a proper introduction pls.... they call me Dr jay. the only doctor without MBBS or p.hd cheesy
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by romzyxy(m): 8:03pm On Feb 01, 2015
Dix is jobless. Can't blieve I read it all. I m angry at myself for this. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by holyboss: 9:13pm On Feb 01, 2015
So u xpect me o read all this, wen my girl is right here posing nude on my bed undecided

**closeThread **log out of NL **Jump into bed lipsrsealed
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Feb 01, 2015
Write about your first time in lecture room,how was it?

1 Like

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Lordseyad(m): 10:03pm On Feb 01, 2015
CyrusXandria:
He's not gonna write that one na.. lol ..

I dey ff
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by enifex(m): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
I luv it, it interesting...Job well done.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 10:13pm On Feb 01, 2015
kritikali:

U board a bus going to gate,how come there is neww hall b/stop b4 the last b/stop.
Lmao..
Its a campus shuttle. Sumwhere arnd yaba and its nt only for students. SumPpl stop at gate while others enter inside campus
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 10:14pm On Feb 01, 2015
enifex:
I luv it, it interesting...Job well done.
Thanks fam.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
Lordseyad:
He's not gonna write that one na.. lol ..

I dey ff
Obviously,that the major thing am interested in,your first class determines your attitude to lectures.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 10:17pm On Feb 01, 2015
romzyxy:
Dix is jobless. Can't blieve I read it all. I m angry at myself for this. embarassed

Sorry bro (and everybody in dis category)

Why is it that Whenever an english man stands up to speak, other english men despise him?

See Whether I write abt lecture room or I write abt night club atleast You should appreciate d fact dat I took my tym to write this. I own my own blog and I have people who follow my story n appreciate it.
The fact that its now on nairaland shows my respect for nigeria, my love for the people in it as well as my interest in free writing.
*I think its high time we Nigerians began to appreciate ourselves*
I'll accept ur apology if u can muster the courage to apologize for ur misjudgment. Thank You

3 Likes

Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2015
CyrusXandria:
Obviously,that the major thing am interested in,your first class determines your attitude to lectures.

Funny enough I've missed a lot of lectures in the past few years. I didn't even make it to 'the so-called first lecture'.

*You don't need to be a professor to be on good standing in the university*
I believe u're a freshman bro. Dnt panic. I felt the same - few years ago.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 01, 2015
swagglordbm:

Funny enough I've missed a lot of lectures in the past few years. I didn't even make it to 'the so-called first lecture'.

*You don't need to be a professor to be on good standing in the university*
I believe u're a freshman bro. Dnt panic. I felt the same - few years ago.
Lols at freshman.Ain't. Bro.

Btw,its 'funnily enough',not funny enough,a lot of people make this mistake.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by bobo07: 10:27pm On Feb 01, 2015
Register your vehicle through accredited MVAA REP and get all docs/licence plate in 24hrs @33k also process your Driver's licence in a week@14k)..Contact: 08055446595, 7E2FDEFB . rebroadcast while we wait to broadcast your Advert asap
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by swagglordbm(m): 10:42pm On Feb 01, 2015
CyrusXandria:
Lols at freshman.Ain't. Bro.

Btw,its 'funnily enough',not funny enough,a lot of people make this mistake.

'Funnily enough' is an aphorism bro. Yeah d fact dat its in the dictionary doesn't mean its ryt.
Get this: Dictionary works with everyday usage of english. That's why Oxford now contain words like Agbada, fufu n d likes...
English is deeper than you think, But The fact dat I'm a medical student doesn't mean I dnt knw what I'm writing.
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Akosbaba(m): 11:23pm On Feb 01, 2015
Booking
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Ariyke: 12:56am On Feb 02, 2015
Nice
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by LaPink: 1:17am On Feb 02, 2015
Space Booked!!!
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by Pr0ton: 7:54am On Feb 02, 2015
CyrusXandria:

YH. Not about eating plate of rice that has nothing to do with us. angry undecided Why am I angry sef
Re: Life In Unilag. (my First Night Experience) by FoxyFlow(m): 8:30am On Feb 02, 2015
Continuee oooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WAEC GCE 2014/2015 Result Is Out - Www.waecdirect.org Release Date Nov/dec Check / Plateau Polytechnic Female Hostel Razed Down By Fire (Photos, Video) / Fake Certificate Saga: Benin Lecturers Pledge Cooperation With FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.