Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? (21624 Views)

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes / African All-stars Feat. 180 African Artistes – #noto Xenophobia / AUDIO+VIDEO: African All-stars – We Are The World Ft. 180 African. Artistes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 3:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
I have been thinking lately why dis is so.. I mean
there are some songs by some African Acts that
will be ruling airwaves across Africa but we dont
even hear of them here in Nigeria & the farthest
they can come to West Africa will be Ghana. I
know Sarkodie was able to break into the market
likewise Cabo Snoop & a few others but dat is it.
One example is Nameless from Kenya, he
released a Hit single in Kenya called Sinzia in
2005/06. D song was very big in East Africa,
Central Africa & some parts of Southern Africa but
lo and behold it didnt even smell the shores of
Nigeria. Another example is d rampaging girl-
band ''Blu 3'' from Uganda. These girls burst onto
the African music scene in 2004 with their Hit
single ''Hitaji'' which ruled airwaves in East
Africa, Central Africa & Southern Africa. Though
some Nigerian radio stations played the song, it
didnt record any commercial success like it did in
other African countries. They released another
song in 2009 ''Where You Are'' ft Radio & Weasle
& it was a massive hit across Africa, it was also
number 2 on MTV Base African charts for weeks.
It was even played on MTV Europe. The farthest
they broke into West Africa was Ghana but never
Nigeria. There are other Hit songs by artistes
from East Africa that recorded so much success
around Africa but they did not make any impact in
Nigeria. Hit songs like Gold Digger by Jackie
Chandiru from Uganda, Siamini by TID from
Tanzania, Lookie Lookie by Stella Mwangi frm
Kenya & One and Only by Navio frm Uganda
etc.... I happen to know about these songs cos
i'm someone that loves good music no matter its
origin & i research very well too. Language is
neva a barrier to me. So my question is ''What do
u think is limiting these good African artistes from
breaking into the lucrative Nigerian music
market''? Is it language barrier, finances or what?
From what i discovered, artistes from East African
countries & Africa in general believes dat to break
into Mainstream Music in Africa, u have to
conquer Nigeria first which is true... So
nairalanders, spill ur opinions. Its all welcomed

The picture below is the Blu 3 girls from Uganda.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Gmajor(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2015
lol
most african countries rarely produce good music as compared to Nigerian. When u watch ugandan n kenyan music video u'll be like wtf. The look like one of those eddy remedy tracks from way back.
What do we need their trash for when we have artists that are 10x more talented than them

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
Gmajor:
?
You no answer oo lol
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
1 language barrier
2 they dont sing junk loud music like what nigerians want
3 no time to listen to their music cos artist in nigeria are too much....music in nigeria is competing with nollywood movies in term of stewpidity

118 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by osamaBUSH(m): 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2015
It all boils down to promotion of the material. Even in the Northern part of the country you have great artiste but still have not smelt the market because breaking into the market is Toucher than it seems.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 6:14pm On Feb 01, 2015
osamaBUSH:
It all boils down to promotion of the material. Even in the Northern part of the country you have great artiste but still have not smelt the market because breaking into the market is Toucher than it seems.
Word!! U are soo correct bro.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
kallmemrB:
1 language barrier
2 they dont sing junk loud music like what nigerians want
3 no time to listen to their music cos artist in nigeria are too much....music in nigeria is competing with nollywood movies in term of stewpidity
lol well said.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2015
Gmajor:
lol
most african countries rarely produce good music as compared to Nigerian. When u watch ugandan n kenyan music video u'll be like wtf. The look like one of those eddy remedy tracks from way back.
What do we need their trash for when we have artists that are 10x more talented than them
Lol Bro some of them have upgraded oo.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Airforce1(m): 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
too long

No time to read all that
Sorry
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2015
Airforce1:
too long
No time to read all that
Sorry
No wahala.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 7:14am On Feb 02, 2015
Nonybb:
Y
Talk
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 19, 2017
naija music is the bomb, the rest na dogs breakfast

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by jiggaz(m): 1:31pm On Feb 19, 2017
uzzyfire:
naija music is the bomb, the rest na dogs breakfast
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
grin grin grin grin

My brother if you know how many upcoming artistes our universities breed you go enter China go break your market...

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by GossipHeart(m): 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2017

Because there are no musicians in those African countries

Other countries in Africa who do music easily break into the Nigerian market

Take for example artist from the following countries easily breaks into the Nigerian market because they do good music

Jamaica

USA

Ghana

Congo

Cameroon, you see what Awilo Logomba did to Nigerian market ?? He still sell the songs he did 20 years ago in the Nigerian market

As for Nigerian music, we are the head of music in the whole world, go to Europe, Spain, North America, South America, everywhere in the world, people are playing Nigerian songs not because they understand it but because you can dance to the melody, sound and tempo

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Dandeson1(m): 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
Jd
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
The Nigerian music scene is over populated every tamuno and dokubo wants to be an artist
In Lagos every street has 5 'upcoming' artists in every university every cultist is a rapper, every girl is in choir.
To break as a foreigner in naija is easy just stay foreign always tell them your foreign and come and base in naija if you are white or half caste or have an Accent the better for you Nigerians have inferiority complex and fetish for exotic and as such you will blow. Thank me later.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Damfostopper(m): 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
what's tha business

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by ALAYORMII: 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
Because they are yet to discover the pangolo sound that fits the Nigerian listeners

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nutase: 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
Bias
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by pocohantas(f): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2017
Because the Nigerian market is saturated enough.

Nigerians are also bias in their own lil way.
Mr Eazy said Ghanian music influenced ours, you saw how Nigerians came for him? That's how bias and close knitted Nigerians are when it comes to mocking other African countries.

They also don't sing our kind of pangolo music.

Language is also a barrier, while our artistes are trying so hard to sound foreign. Lots of other african countries are still indigenous in their music.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by ugochukwufrenzy: 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2017
Gmajor:
lol
true talk...for ınstance..vıctorıa kımanı thınks she can come to nıgerıa nd be d queen of musıc when we have tıwa,sımı,nınıola,yemı,seyı nd co...she beta go back and learn taılorıng...

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by slimfit1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2017
They did in the past things change.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Iamdmentor1(m): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
OK

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by nNEOo(m): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
We have not finished buying our own.
Sometime I wish Nigeria politics was like our music industry.
As long as you are good all the tribes just love you without even caring to know your tribe....

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by canalily(m): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Becos they will thief everything in the market and corrupt the buyersangry
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by BrightEye(m): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
ha
ALAYORMII:
Because they are yet to discover the pangolo sound that fits the Nigerian listeners

you just said what's in my mind. If u can't sing pangolo music nowadays , u can't make it in Nigeria as a musician. BTW, this song always makes me laugh, the way the singers struggle to do in the Rome as Romans do: "my bank alert na GBEGEM"

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Airforce1 right now be like " are u indirectly referring to me??"

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by iamnicer: 3:18pm On Feb 19, 2017
QUESTION FOR THIS HOT SUNDAY AFTERNOON

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burna Boy - Let Go Ft. Kizz Daniel, Mayorkun, Small Doctor, Zoro & Kaffy (Video) / E.M.E Feat. Wizkid - "Dance For Me" / Music Download Mp3: Umu Obiligbo-okwu Ego

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.