Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,639 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

CNN Heroes 2008: Where Are Nigerian Heroes?! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Heroes 2008: Where Are Nigerian Heroes?! (739 Views)

Childhood & Youthful Pictures Of Nigerian Heroes & Celebrities / Youthful And Childhood Pictures Of Nigerian Heroes And Villains / Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

CNN Heroes 2008: Where Are Nigerian Heroes?! by gbokukueba(m): 11:25am On Dec 29, 2008
Over the Christmas period I was watching the 2008 CNN celebration of CNN Heroes and I was moved by the awardees compassion and drive to help others that are economically or emotionally disadvantaged. There was one of them that drive 9 hours from the US to a border town in Mexico to feed the occupants of the village and then drive 9hours back every day for 3 years!!! Another served a term in prisons because of the stigma associated with family members in prison she took messages to the family member and as a result has helped strengthen family ties. There is another nanny in the US who helps out children in her home country here in Africa. There is another Ethiopian who established a library for children in his home country,  just to mention a few.

I think CNN was not fair, where are the Nigeria Heroes? Where are the Sarakis that feed thousands and thousand of people every Friday in Ilorin? Where is OBJ that has a Cultural Heritage site,  his library? Ok why not honour the dead Adedibu who feed several with Amala and gbegiri daily, he was the modern day Robin Hood collecting from the government to feed the poor!!! Where are our Nigerian Heroes, why are they not on the list.

Last week also Pastor Adeboye was names as one of the 50 most powerful persons in 2008. In a country where we have the Babangidas, Anenih, the Igbenedions, OBJ, Atiku, Yerima, Orji Uzor Kalu, etc. These people are so powerful that they decide elections results before the Election Day,  where else can it be done in the world. I am including these people in the list of the most feared and the most powerful people in the world!!!

Join me all my Nigerian people lets kick mediocrity out of Nigeria in 2009 by starting with ourselves,
Re: CNN Heroes 2008: Where Are Nigerian Heroes?! by Jakumo(m): 11:35am On Dec 29, 2008
A Nigerian hero is defined as any person who has lived continuously in Nigeria and has successfully exceeded the national life-expectancy of 30 years of age by running, ducking and recovering from the bullets of robbers and policemen, while also proving themselves immune to the daily perils of cratered roads and spontaneous attacks by roving packs of area boys.

Currently, the odds of attaining "hero" status in Nigeria are a thousand to one against.
Re: CNN Heroes 2008: Where Are Nigerian Heroes?! by BOSS7: 11:55am On Dec 29, 2008
Jakumo:

A Nigerian hero is defined as any person who has lived continuously in Nigeria and has successfully exceeded the national life-expectancy of 30 years of age by running, ducking and recovering from the bullets of robbers and policemen, while also proving themselves immune to the daily perils of cratered roads and spontaneous attacks by roving packs of area boys.

Currently, the odds of attaining "hero" status in Nigeria are a thousand to one against.

I co-sign that, however I'll rather refer to them as unsung heroes as they are rarely praised but in actual sense, they deserve more accolades as compared to the in-your-face overhyped rich celebrities (politicians, pastors et al.) we have.

(1) (Reply)

Spain Arrests Nigerian Over Al-qaeda Link / Possible Change Of Direction In Nigeria - Lets Hope It Is Implemented / Court Case Of The Year- Fall Out Of Rotimi's Sack From Washington

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.