Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages (2169 Views)

Christians Please Make Me Understand Better. / Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. / Christians: Please Will A Person Go To Hell For Remarrying After A Divorce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2008
There were certain passages that,  even as a Christian, I hated to be asked about. I never could figure out what the hell was going on with Jesus killing a fig tree.

Here is the version from Matthew 21:18-22

Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. 20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. 21 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

And, here is Mark’s contrary account in chapter 11:12-14, 20-26

The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it… In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!" 22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. 23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

What is the point and purpose of this story, in one or both of its manifestations? why do most Christains pray, believe and still receive nothing? can you guys please explain why Jesus, the creator, God of the universe, didn't know it wasn't the season for figs?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 2:30pm On Dec 29, 2008
Here is another one, The Bible claims to be a God-breathed revelation of religion. If it cannot stand under the weight of that claim, it can't be trusted at any level. This is particularly true of its claims to the Messianic identity and related works of Christ, as the bible is the exclusive testimony on these issues.

Further, the bible offers corroboratory of this Messianic identity surrounding Christ’s messianic death that are not supported in extra-biblical material, including mass resurrections, astronomical phenomena, and apocalyptic events in the Jewish temple. Such significant happenings not recorded outside of the Bible demands again an absolute trustworthiness of the Scripture’s accounts. In sum, the Scripture claims for itself the unique property of being a god-breathed document and the singular, historic testimony of an event that distinguishes saved and lost and without which, Christians are the most pitiful of all people hence the bible demands again an absolute trustworthiness of the Scripture’s accounts.

Can the Bible stand up to such scrutiny?

On the messianic-significant event of Christ’s baptism, we find the Bible unreliable on the simple questions of what did God say and to whom did God say it? It’s further unable to explain the prophetic work of John Baptizer or the when the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form on Jesus.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God." The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!" (John 1:29-36)

According to The Gospel of John, John Baptizer, in fulfilling his prophetic work as Elijah, testified that he knew Jesus only by the pre-revealed Divine sign of the Spirit coming as a dove upon Jesus.

But, according to Matthew, John tried to deter Jesus from being baptized. Only after he was convinced and did the baptizing did the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus:

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented. As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:13-17)

If John came to baptize men in preparing the way for the Messiah and could not recognize the Messiah until he saw the spirit descend and the spirit did not descend until after the baptism, why did John Baptizer say it wasn’t fitting to baptize this one man and that the man should baptize John?
Luke records John Baptizers words about Jesus before he was baptized, ostensibly the sort of preaching to which John Baptizer referred in The Gospel of John 1, above:

John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." And with many other words John exhorted the people and preached the good news to them. (Luke 3:16-18)

Luke agrees with Matthew that the Spirit did not descend until after Jesus baptism, but contradicts Matthew, asserting it wasn’t “At that moment” when “he went up out of the water,” that the Spirit came, but, rather as Jesus was praying

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." (Luke 3:21-22).

Mark agrees with Matthew and not Luke; it was as Jesus was emerging from the water:

“As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.” Mark 1:9.
When the Spirit descended on Jesus, Mark says that: “And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." (Mark 1:11)

Matthew says differently: “And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:17). Oddly, Matthew seems to add some support to John Baptizer’s testimony in John that God would speak about Jesus, instead of to Jesus, despite undermining John Baptizer’s claims in John that he did not know Jesus before the Spirit descended.

Luke agrees with Mark, that God spoke to Jesus: “And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." (Luke 3:22).

Luke, though, doesn’t agree with the Gospel of John that John Baptizer did not recognize Jesus until the Spirit descended, but that John Baptizer and Jesus were related and, even in the womb, John Baptizer recognized the presence of the Lamb of God:

“Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month… When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.” (Luke 1:36, 41-44)

If the Scripture can’t give you a harmonious account of things as important as the fulfillment of Scripture, the return of Elijah the prophet in the person of John Baptizer, the first public declaration of Jesus, and God’s divine approbation of him, why would you trust it anywhere?

Here are some questions—not irrelevant or unimportant questions, but questions about the messianic identity of Jesus Christ—that the historic testimony of Scripture simply cannot answer with a degree of certainty: Did John Baptizer know Jesus before or after the Spirit descended on Jesus? Did God speak to or about Jesus when the Spirit descended? For that matter, if John Baptizer’s work was to testify of the Messiah, why did he not do so immediately upon seeing him, as Luke writes of the womb encounter, instead of the next day, as John says?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 5:33pm On Dec 29, 2008
In Mark, and agreed upon by Matthew and Luke, we find Jesus eating the Passover with his disciples, the night before his death:

Mark 14:12-16 - On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread(which is a the second of the seven annual festivals ), when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?" So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there." The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
Mark 14:18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me-one who is eating with me."

Yet, in John’s gospel, we find the contrary report that: It was just before the Passover Feast( the first of the seven annual festivals ). Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. (John 13:1-2). After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."(John 13:21)

Not the Passover itself and the Feast of Unleavened Bread(which takes place after the passover), but the evening meal just before the Passover Feast. Not only the chronological impossibility, but the theological ramifications of not knowing what really happened before Jesus was crucified is enormous. How can the Bible be considered trustworthy in this regard if it really misses such vital points and gives very contradictory account of events?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 5:48pm On Dec 29, 2008
why do you post threads like these you and huxley? grin grin  they're unassailable and don't leave much room for discussion.  It's just BAM!, party's over. . . . . .

thanks for posting it anyway. how can any christian view such "contradictions", and remain a believer?(christains always have answers to such things by declearing that they are spiriutally discerned)  it just goes to confirm that the people that were alleged to have written the gospels did not write them, it also proves that the gospels were made up and not written by "eye witness" as the bible alleges. . . . . . .
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Image123(m): 11:40pm On Dec 29, 2008
Christians should interpret or explain these passages so that?

We're telling you about freedom and peace and joy available in Christ Jesus,you here busy copying and pasting some mumbo-jumbo questions.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bastage: 12:00am On Dec 30, 2008
What is the point and purpose of this story, in one or both of its manifestations? why do most Christains pray, believe and still receive nothing? can you guys please explain why Jesus, the creator, God of the universe, didn't know it wasn't the season for figs?

LOL. This is a question for botanists.

Here's the answer:

"The facts connected with the fig tree are these. Toward the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with this, and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grown to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off. These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found "nothing but leaves" - leaves without any taqsh- he knew that "it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree" and said as much."

Can't knock it. It makes solid sense.
Jesus Christ. Messiah and expert on Fig Trees. grin

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Nobody: 4:30am On Dec 30, 2008
mazaje:

why do you post threads like these you and huxley? grin grin they're unassailable and don't leave much room for discussion. It's just BAM!, party's over. . . . . .

Your statement is dead on point but with one caveat . . . the questions are not unassailable . . . the problems are:

1. It is obvious the OP isnt open to any second opinion.

2. The OP starts by saying "i have A question" then goes on rambling with 20 more . . . by the time you finish reading the thread you have no idea which question to tackle.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by arramyjay: 6:11am On Dec 30, 2008
Very interesting.
@ poster,There so many versions of the bible.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by AKO1(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2008
Bastage:

Here's the answer:

"The facts connected with the fig tree are these. Toward the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with this, and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grown to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off. These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found "nothing but leaves" - leaves without any taqsh- he knew that "it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree" and said as much."

1 Like

Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 11:09am On Dec 30, 2008
arramyjay:

Very interesting.
@ poster,There so many versions of the bible.

What has that got to do with my post?

Image123:

Christians should interpret or explain these passages so that?

We're telling you about freedom and peace and joy available in Christ Jesus,you here busy copying and pasting some mumbo-jumbo questions.

Is that all you have to say? how has your statement explained anything?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2008
Bastage:

Here's the answer:

"The facts connected with the fig tree are these. Toward the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with this, and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grown to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off. These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found "nothing but leaves" - leaves without any taqsh- he knew that "it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree" and said as much."

This below from The California Rare Fruit Growers Website:httphttp http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html seems to disagree with your post. Just because a fig tree doesn't have a spring crop (some do, some don't) doesn't mean it is barren and won't have a main crop in the fall, it's normal harvest time. According to this site, it doesn't sound like unripe figs are even edible at all and there is no record of palestinian peasants eating unripened figs.

"Fruits: The common fig bears a first crop, called the breba crop, in the spring on last season's growth. The second crop is borne in the fall on the new growth and is known as the main crop. In cold climates the breba crop is often destroyed by spring frosts. The matured "fruit" has a tough peel (pure green, green suffused with brown, brown or purple), often cracking upon ripeness, and exposing the pulp beneath. The interior is a white inner rind containing a seed mass bound with jelly-like flesh. The edible seeds are numerous and generally hollow, unless pollinated. Pollinated seeds provide the characteristic nutty taste of dried figs.

Harvest: Figs must be allowed to ripen fully on the tree before they are picked. They will not ripen if picked when immature. A ripe fruit will be slightly soft and starting to bend at the neck. Harvest the fruit gently to avoid bruising. Fresh figs do not keep well and can be stored in the refrigerator for only 2 - 3 days. Some fig varieties are delicious when dried. They take 4 - 5 days to dry in the sun and 10 -12 hours in a dehydrator. Dried figs can be stored for six to eight months."

There's another oddity here. Jesus was entering Jerusalem and the fig tree was out of season. Fig trees are in season in the fall, so we can place this event sometime not in the fall. Indeed, if it was around Passover then it would have been spring time. And that's a problem. We know that when Jesus entered Jerusalem the week before his death palm leaves were placed on the ground. The widespread presence of palm leaves means that the Feast of Tabernacles was at hand. But the Feast of Tabernacles is held in the fall. So when did Jesus come to Jerusalem, the spring or the fall?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by arramyjay: 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2008
bindex:

What has that got to do with my post?

Every thing,Just wanted you to knw that they are alot of versions to the bible so the difference in texts.

And do me a favour,belt up.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 3:33pm On Dec 30, 2008
arramyjay:

Every thing,Just wanted you to knw that they are alot of versions to the bible so the difference in texts.

And do me a favour,belt up.

So the word of God has different versions and translations? Why would a God as described in the bible and portrayed by Christains allow people to change his word and allow it to be, mistranslated, corrupted and loose its meaning?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by arramyjay: 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2008
I have come across some versions.Did the almighty come down to write the bible! he didnt so you should expect some differences.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bastage: 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2008
This below from The California Rare Fruit Growers Website:httphttp http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html seems to disagree with your post. Just because a fig tree doesn't have a spring crop (some do, some don't) doesn't mean it is barren and won't have a main crop in the fall, it's normal harvest time. According to this site, it doesn't sound like unripe figs are even edible at all and there is no record of palestinian peasants eating unripened figs.

A few things wrong with your statment there.

Firstly, your link is based on recent botanical knowledge. It's probable that Jesus wasn't the botanist that I jokingly pointed him out to be and was merely relating what was basic knowledge regarding fig crops. It should also be remembered that your link pertains to the "Common Fig" which although present in the Middle East was by no means the only species. Without knowing the properties of the other species (for example the Sycamore Fig) the link can't be relied on for relevance. There's even the possibility that he could have found a Caprifig - a type of fig tree that produces inedible fruit. Or maybe an unpollinated female tree. It could even be that the wasp needed to pollinate the fig trees was scarce that year - the trees rely on a specific type of insect for pollination and therefore to bear fruit. There are plenty of explanations, all with a logical foundation in fact.

Secondly, the fact remains that fig trees that don't have a spring crop are sometimes barren. It doesn't matter if they're all barren or if the majority are able to fruit. The context of the Biblical passage is that Jesus believes that that particular tree is barren and there is a scientific basis for that belief.

Thirdly, there is no record of Palestinians eating unripened figs? Taqsh are not unripened figs. They are a pre-fruit. They are also known as breba. There are times when a frost or a cold season will limit the fig tree to producing a crop of breba/taqsh only. Just like any other plant or tree can have a bad harvest, figs are prone too. On these occasions, the only fruit the Palestinians would have harvested are the taqsh and the tree would have been bare for the rest of the year. Taqsh are edible and it is unthinkable to believe that they would not have been eaten. I can find plenty of evidence on the internet that breba/taqsh are eaten around the world so I make no illogical claim.

Fig trees are in season in the fall, so we can place this event sometime not in the fall.

LOL. That's a Californian website. The figs trees they're talking about are in season in the Fall because they have a different climate. The fig trees in the Middle East would have been in season in late Spring or Early summer. Some trees even have two or three harvests that lead right on to September/October

I'm the last person to support inconsistencies within Biblical literature, and I've pointed much of it out here on these forums. But you're barking up the wrong tree here (pun intended). For once, there is a perfectly logical answer to the passage in question and it isn't inconsistent with scientific fact.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 4:30pm On Dec 30, 2008
@  Bastage

Now we have needlessly embroiled ourselves in botanical mumbo jumbo, which has nothing to do with the biblical narrative and why I posted the two conflicting verses. Here are the verses once again.Matthew 21:18-22

Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. 20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. 21 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

And, here is Mark’s contrary account in chapter 11:12-14, 20-26

The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it… In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!" 22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. 23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

When did the Fig tree wither? was it immediately as said by Matthew or the next morning as said by Mark? beside that what did Jesus really say? did he say "May you never bear fruit again" or "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." Keep in mind that Mark went ahead and said "And his disciples heard him say it". If his diciples heard him say it then why the very different and contradictory accounts? The two statements are very different statements that are not the same, there is a great difference between not bearing friuts again and people never eating fruit from a tree again. A tree could still bear poisonous fruits which would make people not to eat from it again, that is different from not bearing fruits at all. Since there are no records of Jesus ever doing any of this things beside those recorded in the bible I believe that says a lot about the veracity of all the events recorded therein.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bastage: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2008
Guy, are you asking me to state when Jesus made the fig tree wither!!!??

That's impossible for me to do simply because I don't believe he made it wither in the first place. The fig story is simply another allegorical tale of which there are loads of examples in the NT.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2008
Bastage:

Guy, are you asking me to state when Jesus made the fig tree wither!!!??

That's impossible for me to do simply because I don't believe he made it wither in the first place. The fig story is simply another allegorical tale of which there are loads of examples in the NT.

Is that the new excuse? Mark and Matthew describe it as an event that actually occured. You Justified the reason Jesus cursed the fig tree in your first post and now that I have asked other pertinent questions you quickly changed the story and played the allegory card. Ok lets assume that it was an allegorical narrative what then happens to the passage where Mark said that " for the time of figs was not yet " ? Jesus was punishing the tree for not doing something it was incapable of doing. Parable or not, this is a part of the story. Even as a parable, regardless of what the tree represents, we are still stuck with the issue that Jesus punished something for all eternity(depending on who's account you choose) for its mere nature, that it could not change.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2008
bindex abeg no dey follow davidylan dey drag. check other thread across nairalan mostly na him dey always drag with others . i was loking forward to some explanations including (spiritual and holy ghost fire) of the obvious contradictions when you guys came and ruined the thread. now nobody will like to contribute again. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

bindex why are you stalking kuns? grin grin grin (the man from mars)
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2008
bindex:

When did the Fig tree wither? was it immediately as said by Matthew or the next morning as said by Mark? beside that what did Jesus really say? did he say "May you never bear fruit again" or "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." Keep in mind that Mark went ahead and said "And his disciples heard him say it". If his diciples heard him say it then why the very different and contradictory accounts? The two statements are very different statements that are not the same, there is a great difference between not bearing friuts again and people never eating fruit from a tree again. A tree could still bear poisonous fruits which would make people not to eat from it again, that is different from not bearing fruits at all. Since there are no records of Jesus ever doing any of this things beside those recorded in the bible I believe that says a lot about the veracity of all the events recorded therein.

People still believe that the gospels were written by the diciples of jesus despite all their very contradictory narrative of events, did the last supper take place on the day of the feast of unleaved bread(second of the seven annual events) or on the day before the passover feats(first of the seven annual events)? If the deciples of jesus really wrote the gospels as alleaged by bible apologist when are some of the gospels written in koine greek (when non of the writer is greek) or written in the third person ? why are the gospels written like a narrative fiction? why do we have parts where only jesus was present? why were the gospels written about 60(a long time for someone to live in those days, let alone remember what happened all those decades ago ) years after the death of jesus?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Lady2(f): 6:13am On Dec 31, 2008
If the deciples of jesus really wrote the gospels as alleaged by bible apologist when are some of the gospels written in koine greek (when non of the writer is greek) or written in the third person ? why are the gospels written like a narrative fiction? why do we have parts where only jesus was present? why were the gospels written about 60(a long time for someone to live in those days, let alone remember what happened all those decades ago ) years after the death of jesus?

I am Nigerian my main language is Benin and yet I speak English. Italians also speak and write in English. Do you get it? You don't have to come from England to write and speak english.

Most of the people living in Jesus' time spoke and wrote greek. Ever heard of greco-roman? For someone with "knowledge" you seem to know little.

The gospels are not written like a narrative fiction, you view it as fiction. However it is a narration and that's why it is in third person, considering the fact that the writer was not the only person present at these events of Jesus' life. The gospels were not written to be scripture. None of the books in the Bible or at least the New Testament were written to be scripture. During a time of persecution the eyewitnesses were dying quickly and they thought it best to write down these narratives so as to have records of what happened before it got lost in time. While Jesus walked the earth, the disciples weren't reporters who carried notebooks and tape recorders to capture every thing that was said.

Most of the gospels were not even written to be read universally, they were written to a specific people, that is why each writer describes things differently. For example Matthew was writing to the Jewish Christians and therefore used images that identified with the Jewish people. Luke wrote to the gentiles who were associated with greek philosophers and therefore used images that identified with them. One example of this is the beatitudes sermon. Matthew describes Jesus as sitting on a Mountain likening him to Moses and Moses is viewed as authority, while Luke has Jesus on a plain likening him to the greek philosophers as most of them gave their speeches on a plain, on level ground.

So you see the gospels or any of the books in the Bible cannot be appraoched or read as if it was written today and to us. It must be understood as it was written, understanding the message one can then apply it to today's life.

If I were to write a narrative of Jesus giving a sermon, I would create an environment that had him on stage with a podium with a presidential sign as this is symbolic of power and authority to people living today.

So oga if you truly want to understand it, you have to first be willing to do the work. Learn the culture of the people then and how they reasoned. Then and only then will you fully understand the messages in the Bible
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bobbyaf(m): 9:17am On Dec 31, 2008
@ Bindex

I believe that you are in a bind, lol

I doubt if anyone even if they can will gravitate towards your line of questions. 

--------------------------------------

@ Lady

Very well said indeed. Its obvious that there are persons who have made up their minds to be deliberately blind to reason and truth.

In time they will receive their own experience, if ever it should come.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bobbyaf(m): 10:00am On Dec 31, 2008
As regards the fig tree.

Fig trees normally bear fruit when their foliage is plenty.  This one in particular had a lot of leaves but no fruits. Jesus expected it to be fruitful, but found it fruitless at a time when it was most needed. He cursed it and further used it to highlight the hypocracy of the religious leaders of the day, who show signs on the outside to indicate fruitage, but under closer examination they are indeed bare.

As for Jesus not knowing that the tree in question was not bearing is really irrelevant.  Was it expected of Him to know?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Image123(m): 1:45pm On Dec 31, 2008
@Bindex
Is that all you have to say?how has your statement explained anything?
My statement wasn't intended to explain anything.if you read it carefully,I asked to what purpose/for what reason/why should christians explain the bible passages you pasted? What do you need the explanation for? You want to follow Jesus? We're telling you about Jesus coming to give you life and peace and real joy,you're here writing mumbo jumbo.
Please can you tell us what you understand by the word 'immediately'?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Image123(m): 1:47pm On Dec 31, 2008
@Bindex
Is that all you have to say?how has your statement explained anything?
My statement wasn't intended to explain anything.if you read it carefully,I asked to what purpose/for what reason/why should christians explain the bible passages you pasted? What do you need the explanation for? You want to follow Jesus? We're telling you about Jesus coming to give you life and peace and real joy,you're here writing mumbo jumbo.
Please can you tell us what you understand by the word 'immediately'?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2008
~Lady~:

I am Nigerian my main language is Benin and yet I speak English. Italians also speak and write in English. Do you get it? You don't have to come from England to write and speak english.

Most of the people living in Jesus' time spoke and wrote greek. Ever heard of greco-roman? For someone with "knowledge" you seem to know little.

how does this explain anything? the people that alleagedly witnessed all the events were hebrew not greek. i have never heard of greco-hebrew.

The gospels are not written like a narrative fiction, you view it as fiction. However it is a narration and that's why it is in third person, considering the fact that the writer was not the only person present at these events of Jesus' life

the gospel according to matthew, mark ,luke and john is what is written in the bible, the gospel according to what they witnessed and saw as deciples of jesus, your claim of other people present is BOGUS. if there are other people then please let us know who their names are.

The gospels were not written to be scripture.None of the books in the Bible or at least the New Testament were written to be scripture. .  

what is this lady?  shocked shocked do you really believe what you have written? what about a place in the new testament where it was written that all scriptures are inspired by god? 2 timothy 3:16 says "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,  " what does that statement mean and what now becomes of your assertion? the other day on another thread you claimed that noah's flood did not happen globally because noah wrote the story according to his understanding of the world when the bible clearly say it was a global flood(i wanted to point that fact to you but i was busy). here is what your bible says
They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet.  [c] 21[b] Every living [/b] thing that moved on the earth perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the[b] earth[/b], and all mankind.
Genesis 7 said that the flood destroyed "all" mankind and "every" land animal and presumably insects included. If he had meant those in a certain locale and not the entire earth, he could have said so. when describing the destruction of Sodom there was no problem in saying the inhabitants of a certain geographical area were the ones destroyed, not all mankind:

23 The sun had risen on the earth when Lot came to Zoar. 24 Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord out of heaven. 25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground

and remember when the biblical god was giving noah the warning this is what he said.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. 13 And God said to Noah, “I have determined to make an end of all flesh,  For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.  

you christians will tell any lie that suits you at the time won't you?

During a time of persecution the eyewitnesses were dying quickly and they thought it best to write down these narratives so as to have records of what happened before it got lost in time. While Jesus walked the earth, the disciples weren't reporters who carried notebooks and tape recorders to capture every thing that was said

this is another lame excuse. the bible gave it as the report of the diciples of jesus according to what[b] they[/b] witnessed not according to what they and others witnessed. what about the parts where it was written that jesus was alone? how did they get to know what happened and what jesus said when he went and prayed alone? there is no where in the gospels where it was written that jesus went and prayed alone came back and shared what he did or said when he was alone to his diciples. how did they know and write about it 60 years later?

Most of the gospels were not even written to be read universally, they were written to a specific people, that is why each writer describes things differently. For example Matthew was writing to the Jewish Christians and therefore used images that identified with the Jewish people. Luke wrote to the gentiles who were associated with greek philosophers and therefore used images that identified with them. One example of this is the beatitudes sermon. Matthew describes Jesus as sitting on a Mountain likening him to Moses and Moses is viewed as authority, while Luke has Jesus on a plain likening him to the greek philosophers as most of them gave their speeches on a plain, on level ground.

this is BOGUS.  jesus came to save the world as the bible claims yet you say that the account of events written about him were not written to be read universally? what is this lady? you keep building straw man after straw man and end up confusing yourself. what has that got to do with the very contradictory report of events? like when did jesus and his diciples eat the last super? was it before the passover feast(first of the seven anual festival) or on the feast of unleaved bread(second of the seven anual festival), when did the tree wither? is it immediately or the next morning? what did god say and to whom when the dove came down on jesus after he was baptised? how can eye witness report very different and contradictory account of events? besides they were no ordinary eye witness they were jesus's diciples who were with him all the time. remember mark even said "and his diciples heard him say this" yet their account of the same event were very different and contradictory.

So you see the gospels or any of the books in the Bible cannot be appraoched or read as if it was written today and to us. It must be understood as it was written, understanding the message one can then apply it to today's life. If I were to write a narrative of Jesus giving a sermon, I would create an environment that had him on stage with a podium with a presidential sign as this is symbolic of power and authority to people living today  

this is not true, you are traying to rationalize what is written in the bible, some christains try to rationalize the bible thats why we have christains who believe that non christains will go to heaven, women can preach in churches with men, homosexuals should be accepted etc when the bible unequivocally says other wise. this analogy is ridiculous. by the way those accounts of events were written 60 years after the alleaged death of jesus, that alone says a lot about the veracity of what is written as the accounts of eye witness.

So oga if you truly want to understand it, you have to first be willing to do the work. Learn the culture of the people then and how they reasoned. Then and only then will you fully understand the messages in the Bible

so madam i have seen that you are really a mental gymnast. since the contradictions does not support and makes a mess of what is clearly written in your holy scriptures, you have to try and cloud what is written, twist it and reshape it to make it fit with reality.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 2:20pm On Dec 31, 2008
Bobbyaf:

As regards the fig tree.

Fig trees normally bear fruit when their foliage is plenty.  This one in particular had a lot of leaves but no fruits. Jesus expected it to be fruitful, but found it fruitless at a time when it was most needed. He cursed it and further used it to highlight the hypocracy of the religious leaders of the day, who show signs on the outside to indicate fruitage, but under closer examination they are indeed bare.

As for Jesus not knowing that the tree in question was not bearing is really irrelevant.  Was it expected of Him to know?

did you read the passage according to mark?

how can jesus expect it to be fruitful when it was not yet time for figs? why was jesus expecting the fig tree to do that which it can not do? it was'nt the season for figs how did jesus the creator of the fig tree not know that it was'nt time for the fig tree to produce figs? jesus highlighted the hipocracy of the leaders how? by expecting them to do what they can't do like he expected the fig tree to produce out of season?
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bobbyaf(m): 7:50pm On Dec 31, 2008
@ mazaje

did you read the passage according to mark?

Yes I did.

how can jesus expect it to be fruitful when it was not yet time for figs? why was jesus expecting the fig tree to do that which it can not do? it was'nt the season for figs how did jesus the creator of the fig tree not know that it was'nt time for the fig tree to produce figs? jesus highlighted the hipocracy of the leaders how? by expecting them to do what they can't do like he expected the fig tree to produce out of season?

Because the tree had plenty of foliage. As I have explained one of the indications of fruitage is when its foliage is plenty. The fact is fruit trees have been known to bear out of season. So why did Jesus approach the tree, do you think, if He never expected it to have borne fruits? Do you think He might have been confused by His hunger, lol?

On the other hand Jesus could have approached the tree with the idea of providing an object lesson for His disciples. Since it was expected that plenty of foliage on a fig tree was a strong indication of much fruitage, and no such fruits were found regardless of it being in season or not, then cursing the tree as an act had far more implications than just a mere physical cursing of a tree. I hope you appreciate where I am coming from.

Even the very question as to whether the Creator of the fig tree knew if it bore or not would suggest that He had a far greater lesson to teach about the tree's deception. As I have hinted persons who outwardly put on a coat of self-righteousness often do not reflect what God really expects. From a distance they seem to be true, but upon closer examination they possess not the fruit of the Spirit. I believe that it was Jesus who said, "by their fruits ye shall know them, "
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Lady2(f): 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2008
how does this explain anything? the people that alleagedly witnessed all the events were hebrew not greek. i have never heard of greco-hebrew.

But they lived in roman territory, hence greco-roman. They traveled a lot, and some were citizens of rome and rome was not a set place it included nations, and therefore they could travel freely about from place to place.

the gospel according to matthew, mark ,luke and john is what is written in the bible, the gospel according to what they witnessed and saw as deciples of jesus, your claim of other people present is BOGUS. if there are other people then please let us know who their names are.

Lol, so because it is called according to matthew, mark, lukem and john it couldn't have included other people in there. I don't even know why I am entertaining this post of yours, when everyone knows that the writers were not the only ones present in the narratives. Go and read and stop being lazy, I won't entertain foolishness.

what is this lady?    do you really believe what you have written? what about a place in the new testament where it was written that all scriptures are inspired by god? 2 timothy 3:16 says "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,  " what does that statement mean and what now becomes of your assertion? the other day on another thread you claimed that noah's flood did not happen globally because noah wrote the story according to his understanding of the world when the bible clearly say it was a global flood(i wanted to point that fact to you but i was busy). here is what your bible says

Yes I do and know it to be true. When they were written they weren't written to say ok this book will be scripture if that is the case then there wouldn't have been any need for the councils to decide which books will be considered scripture. they weren't scripture until the Church defined them as scripture. This was a point you were trying to make on another thread so please learn to be consistent with your point. It is either the Church defined scripture and therefore you think that scripture is man made and the church is the problem or the writers acknowledged that their writings are scripture therefore having no need of being defined so by the Church. You can't have it both ways, your points contradict each other, pick one and stick to it.

The scripture spoken of by St. Paul is the Old Testament, the New Testament hadn't been defined at the time he wrote it. Only the Old Testament was considered scripture. The New Testament at this point were only writings.

Well that was my point, noah viewed only what he could see as global. Therefore when he wrote global flood, he only wrote of what he knew as the world and that was as far as his backyard maybe. The Bible is translated word for word and is not translated to fit our society.
I was stating that Noah didn't know that asia or the americas existed therefore he didn't know that the world consisted of these, so when he speaks of world he speaks of that which he can only see, not that which we can see.

Genesis 7 said that the flood destroyed "all" mankind and "every" land animal and presumably insects included. If he had meant those in a certain locale and not the entire earth, he could have said so. when describing the destruction of Sodom there was no problem in saying the inhabitants of a certain geographical area were the ones destroyed, not all mankind:

uh duh mankind as they know it. you claim that these people did not know about the rest of the world, well then  how do you expect them to include it in their writings. the world to them at that time, is what they saw, therefore when they wrote of the world, that is what they saw.

and remember when the biblical god was giving noah the warning this is what he said.

I'm sorry but did God write that down or was it the people that was narrating it?

this is another lame excuse. the bible gave it as the report of the diciples of jesus according to what they witnessed not according to what they and others witnessed. what about the parts where it was written that jesus was alone? how did they get to know what happened and what jesus said when he went and prayed alone? there is no where in the gospels where it was written that jesus went and prayed alone came back and shared what he did or said when he was alone to his diciples. how did they know and write about it 60 years later?

Um no the Bible had never done that, you assumed that that's what's being done. We know that Mark and Luke were not direct disciples of Jesus, you that don't want to believe in God, made yourself believe that it was written to give a direct account of what they saw, the only ones that give a direct account of what they saw are matthew and John. Mark gives an account of what Peter saw, and Luke clearly tells you in the beginning that he did his own investigative work and decided to write it, it is even addressed to a man named Theophilus.

Luke 1
1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a narration of the things that have been accomplished among us; 2 According as they have delivered them unto us, who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word: 3 It seemed good to me also, having diligently attained to all things from the beginning, to write to thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

Notice that he's pretty much telling us that he wasn't an eyewitnesses but that he would write what the eyewitness has handed down to him. SO no one is trying to have a conspiracy here, it is all in your head.

this is BOGUS.  jesus came to save the world as the bible claims yet you say that the account of events written about him were not written to be read universally?

Yes the message was to be spread globally but the writing were targeting different communities. Like I said earlier these writings were not written to be scripture, they weren't expecting us to have it bound as a book to be read in the pews. They didn't even know there would be pews like today, they thought Jesus was coming at their time, they were expecting him to come as they were undergoing persecutions, and as you and I both know it has been 2000 years.
Each writer had his own audience, you read these today as scripture because the Church defined these ones to be scripture, there were plenty of books that were written, these gospels were chosen because they were the earliest to be written and their account supported the teachings of the disciples, apostles, actual eyewitnesses. This is why the Church strongly believes in sacred tradition. Without it we wouldn't have known which books were supposed to be scripture or which was authentic.

what has that got to do with the very contradictory report of events? like when did jesus and his diciples eat the last super? was it before the passover feast(first of the seven anual festival) or on the feast of unleaved bread(second of the seven anual festival), when did the tree wither? is it immediately or the next morning?

None of the gospels contradict each other, they give an account of the same thing in different ways, like I said earlier they were all targeting different audiences.

what did god say and to whom when the dove came down on jesus after he was baptised?

The dove came down upon Jesus and God said "Thou are my beloved son in whom I am well pleased?" Everyone heard it. Did it ever occur to you that they heard it?

remember mark even said "and his diciples heard him say this" yet their account of the same event were very different and contradictory.

their accounts may be presented differently, hello different audiences, but they were never contradictory. I am hoping you know what contradiction means, it doesn't mean that one said this in full account and the other didn't say it in full account, or that one said it in these words and the other said the same thing using different words. I am hoping you know that it means one says this forward and the other says it is backwards. Now please show me the contradictory accounts in the gospels.

this is not true, you are traying to rationalize what is written in the bible, some christains try to rationalize the bible thats why we have christains who believe that non christains will go to heaven, women can preach in churches with men, homosexuals should be accepted etc when the bible unequivocally says other wise. this analogy is ridiculous. by the way those accounts of events were written 60 years after the alleaged death of jesus, that alone says a lot about the veracity of what is written as the accounts of eye witness.

No you never took your time to study the Bible, and came up to a conclusion that it isn't rational. You never met people who could actually get you to understand the Bible using logic, and then when you did, you just couldn't handle it, that's why you have your panties bunched up right now. You just don't want to be proven wrong. You're hoping that christianity isn't rational, and you've been proven wrong, and now you can't take it so your best bet is to get riled up and fire insults our way.
Lol, if you know anything about God's grace you will know that non-christians may go to heaven, if you know anything about not judging another you will know that it is not up to us to decide who will go to heaven, and because we know that God's grace is abundant he can grant it to anyone.

Women still can't preach in churches with men, I am a woman, and I still stand by that. Homosexuals are people and they should be accepted, after all Jesus message is to accept those who are outcasts of society, but that is not to say that we should accept the homosexual acts. So I don't have a problem with having a homosexual friend, but I don't have a problem telling him or her that their actions are wrong and that I won't vote for them to get married. Just as I won't disown my sister for killing someone, but I won't let her walk free because she's my sister, I won't condone her act of killing someone and will tell her straight up it is wrong.

Those accounts were not written 60 years after the death of Jesus, it is impossible. All except for John were written before the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 AD and Jesus' death occurred around 30 AD, that gives 30 - 40 years and not 60, so please you all get your facts straight.

so madam i have seen that you are really a mental gymnast. since the contradictions does not support and makes a mess of what is clearly written in your holy scriptures, you have to try and cloud what is written, twist it and reshape it to make it fit with reality.

I prove you wrong and all of a sudden I am a mental gymnast? Ok, I accept, thanks for the title.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by bindex(m): 8:09pm On Dec 31, 2008
[/color]
Bobbyaf:

@ mazaje

Yes I did.

Because the tree had plenty of foliage. As I have explained one of the indications of fruitage is when its foliage is plenty. The fact is fruit trees have been known to bear out of season. So why did Jesus approach the tree, do you think, if He never expected it to have borne fruits? Do you think He might have been confused by His hunger, lol?

On the other hand Jesus could have approached the tree with the idea of providing an object lesson for His disciples. Since it was expected that plenty of foliage on a fig tree was a strong indication of much fruitage, and no such fruits were found regardless of it being in season or not, then cursing the tree as an act had far more implications than just a mere physical cursing of a tree.  I hope you appreciate where I am coming from.

Even the very question as to whether the Creator of the fig tree knew if it bore or not would suggest that He had a far greater lesso

Let me answer on Mazaje's behalf (I hope he doesn't mind) You have turned the story into an allegorical account knowing that it clearly doesn't add up. Matthew and Mark reported it as an event not an allegory, on what basis does a person take biblical story as an allegory? why is the story of infanticide by Herod, or the feeding of 5000 people not taking as an allegory but a real event? This is not one of Jesus parables, It was report as an event.  As you said the tree had foliage which indicated that it was ready for fruit.Thats not what I am interested in.Did the tree wither immediately as written by Matthew or the next morning as written by Mark? The new testament is alleged to have been the writings of the deciples of Jesus who were with him and witnessed all the alleged events, why then are their account of events so contradictory? These events were only recorded in the bible, if their accounts are so conflicting then it goes to show that the alleged eye witness did not write any of the books as the bible claims.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by mazaje(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2008
@ lady season greetings, i am presently in a new year party but will reply your post shortly.
Re: Christians, Please Interpret, Exposit, Explain, And/or Exegete This Passages by Bobbyaf(m): 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2008
@ Bindex

Let me answer on Mazaje's behalf (I hope he doesn't mind) You have turned the story into an allegorical account knowing that it clearly doesn't add up.

I didn't say the account was an allegory. Like you I know that the account was an event.

Matthew and Mark reported it as an event not an allegory, on what basis does a person take biblical story as an allegory?

I believe you're confusing my responses to mean what they don't. The event is obviously literal, but I was providing for the readers an allegory from the account.

As you said the tree had foliage which indicated that it was ready for fruit. Thats not what I am interested in.

Too bad for you, but I am, and that is why I sought to allegorize the account.

Did the tree wither immediately as written by Matthew or the next morning as written by Mark? The new testament is alleged to have been the writings of the deciples of Jesus who were with him and witnessed all the alleged events, why then are their account of events so contradictory?

I figure that both writers emphasized things differently. First of all Matthew does not say that the fig tree's cursing occurred on the day following the cleansing of the temple. He simply said it was in the morning as he returned to the city with the rest of the disciples.(see Matthew 21:18) Matthew didn't specify which day he was referring to.

Mark on the other hand approached it topically, and specifically. He makes mention of the tree when Jesus departed for the temple, and during the following day after they were returning from the temple.

Besides, how different writers choose to describe the same event has no bearing on whether they were inspired. Inspiration doesn't rob a person of their freedom to express it the way they understand it, or desire their readers to see it.

Each writer had their unique way to express themselves. They weren't dictated to in which case they would be writing their accounts word for word.

Going back to the emphasis I was trying to highlight. Somewhere along the journey Jesus noticed a fully leafed-out tree. Normally fig trees would bear the fruits first after which the foliage would flood as it were the entire tree. In this unique case it afforded Jesus the opportunity to teach a lesson that truly reflected the Jewish nation. The jews, and especially the religious leaders boasted and feigned spiritual piety, but they bore no fruitage of conversion. In fact many of the Jews were set on crucifying their own Messsiah before the very same week would be over.

These events were only recorded in the bible, if their accounts are so conflicting then it goes to show that the alleged eye witness did not write any of the books as the bible claims.

I am consoled with the thought that your opinions are not factual, but you're free to express them anyway.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question For Xtians / Is Their A Spiritual Connection With Dada Children And Their Hair / How Do We Maintain The Holy Spirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 217
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.