Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Diary of my Dog Cooper. - Pets (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary of my Dog Cooper. (48831 Views)

Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / Cooper/Eve slant puppies ready for pick up (Pics) / New Owner (Cooper and Vera Slant GSD) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2015
muyeskin:
Wow, I had to read from page 1-8. Very interesting forum. I felt guilty at a point cos of the way I treat my female rott cry. Though not intentional, but work won't really permit me. Now i am ready to change my ways. Her name is SHONA. Close to 3months. Thumbs up.

Thanks for visiting the thread.
Cooper is saying "Hi" to Shona.

3 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by braindamage(m): 7:56pm On Mar 27, 2015
deeptesting:

I took a deep breath after reading your comment,you know people may disagree with me that is fine but for me having a dog that i am not in total control of is a 'NO" "NO".

One from the obedience training the first thing i do is to establish the leadership role and i do this assertively,my dog has to understand that i am the Alpha and Omega and calls the shot; any unruly behavior from him or her must be nipped once noticed. I hope others will come in to make contribution on this issue but my understanding is your dog has associated the Vet visit with pain and this started from his Puppy days and so you have to find a way round to make the Vet visit a pleasurable one, don`t forget dogs can be conditioned to do whatever the owner wants them to do if you know how to go about it.

Thanks Bro
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by muyeskin(m): 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2015
Good day all, guess we are all busy with the election process in our dear country. I just wish to report that my dog is doing great this afternoon and wish to share some pics if permitted. That is SHONA saying Hi to Cooper

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by darealistic(f): 5:28pm On Mar 29, 2015
kolokolobi:
@darealistic....hazad chewing on shoes and jumping all over you can be controlled. On the jumping part I'm almost too sure when it gets exited you go on to hug and cuddle it. You just told the dog I'm happy you're this exited and jumping all over me. Next time it gets all waggy tailed coming to jump at you .....turn your back to it....or ignore it's exitement. Tell it to sit. When it does sit reward it with a treat or then give it attention and affection. Repeatedly with consistency it will learn to sit and look up to you even when excited.
on shoe chewing it may have been tearing at some old stuff while it was a puppy while you urged on or didn't stop it which the dog translates as approval. You have to start registering with the dog that chewing on shoes is not allowed in your pack. You could start by bringing an old shoe around. When it wants to do as it does, that is chew, you say no....bad dog...and separate it from the shoe. Make sure it does not go into a tug with you so it doesn't think it's play. Repeat until when it sees a shoe and it just stares at it without chewing or totally ignores it then you say good dog...and reward it with a treat and a hug. Consistently done it will associate good behaviour and reward with not chewing and stop.
oh. Well, yeah. When he was a puppy. He was just so cuddly and cute. grin I will adjust. What of barking, he only barks when he is hungry or when he sees people, and wanna play. How do I make him bark even at strangers.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kolokolobi(m): 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2015
There's a happy bark and a bark when a dog senses danger or when it's Teritory is being invaded by an unknown or unwellcome party. That will come with age as it assert it's teritory and it's protective instincts of his family kicks in. This is also associated with breed peculiarities too which you should take into consideration. In my case my adult gsd does not take kindly to anyone raising his or her voice at me. A harsh and loud tone will send it to a wait for command to attack stance. It will be in that mode until I let it know everything is ok and there's no need to attack the other party.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Allosaurus: 9:27am On Mar 31, 2015
Ok, I'm back again in another uniform. Happy I was able to trace this thread. I think a mod banned my IP Address and old account, XBLadez, because I was just arguing with someone before it happened. Even with this one, I had to log in with a code, not password. Smh!
Deeptesting, pls post pictures!
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by tranxo(m): 9:59am On Mar 31, 2015
This thread has lost its flavour. Someone should please notify me when the groove is back on. Ciao.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 10:08am On Mar 31, 2015
Allosaurus:
Ok, I'm back again in another uniform. Happy I was able to trace this thread. I think a mod banned my IP Address and old account, XBLadez, because I was just arguing with someone before it happened. Even with this one, I had to log in with a code, not password. Smh!
Deeptesting, pls post pictures!

Sorry to hear about your ban.
I am a supporter of the peoples General Buhari so the election and results apprehension took me off the thread but will get back to work after today hopefully.

Long Live Cooper.
Long Live The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 10:09am On Mar 31, 2015
deeptesting:

Sorry to hear about your ban.
I am a supporter of the peoples General Buhari so the election and results apprehension took me off the thread but will get back to work after today hopefully.

Long Live Cooper.
Long Live The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Oh dear me. Oh dear me; look at him
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Allosaurus: 10:50am On Mar 31, 2015
Wow! He looks beautiful in this picture? grin
Why is the ears not erect yet like a GSD's should be?
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 11:11pm On Mar 31, 2015
Allosaurus:
Wow! He looks beautiful in this picture? grin
Why is the ears not erect yet like a GSD's should be?

He is still a Puppy when the picture was taken less than 10 weeks.
The ears are upright now, will provide more pictures in further update.
At the moment Cooper is celebrating the victory of President elect Mr. M. Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by lacicrips(m): 8:32pm On Apr 01, 2015
kolokolobi:
There's a happy bark and a bark when a dog senses danger or when it's Teritory is being invaded by an unknown or unwellcome party. That will come with age as it assert it's teritory and it's protective instincts of his family kicks in. This is also associated with breed peculiarities too which you should take into consideration. In my case my adult gsd does not take kindly to anyone raising his or her voice at me. A harsh and loud tone will send it to a wait for command to attack stance. It will be in that mode until I let it know everything is ok and there's no need to attack the other party.
Dude! That's really impressive. How did you manage to achieve that or is it just natural with all GSDs?
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kolokolobi(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2015
@lacicrips. ...I am sure other breeds with similar temperaments and intelligence can do that. On how I achieved this I spent a lot of time with this dog from the 6th week it was born. I was also careful to pay for and participate enthusiastically in obedience classes. It has become very attached to me personally over the years. I remember teaching it to only go for food on command, it will be at the other end of the room while the food or treat is near me, in my own space reading newspapers, and it will be at a wait for command position for 30 mins. It will not invade my space nor take the food until it's told to do so. Extra.....It will dig up the ground and bury any food given to it by any other person apart from me. So we are soul mates, it does not take kindly to any threat to me or my surrounding.
I did not actually plan the results I have. I just realised it was willing to please me and as I also increased my knowledge from my friend, Google, I also mingled with trainers and pushed the limits.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 1:11pm On Apr 02, 2015
kolokolobi:
@lacicrips. ...I am sure other breeds with similar temperaments and intelligence can do that. On how I achieved this I spent a lot of time with this dog from the 6th week it was born. I was also careful to pay for and participate enthusiastically in obedience classes. It has become very attached to me personally over the years. I remember teaching it to only go for food on command, it will be at the other end of the room while the food or treat is near me, in my own space reading newspapers, and it will be at a wait for command position for 30 mins. It will not invade my space nor take the food until it's told to do so. Extra.....It will dig up the ground and bury any food given to it by any other person apart from me. So we are soul mates, it does not take kindly to any threat to me or my surrounding.
I did not actually plan the results I have. I just realised it was willing to please me and as I also increased my knowledge from my friend, Google, I also mingled with trainers and pushed the limits.

Would you be kind enough to share a picture. Would love to see your dog. Op i hope you dont mind.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 1:38pm On Apr 02, 2015
I'm still wondering how u guys manage this obedience class of a thing. I don't think it's possible with all dogs. I tried it with a friend's 7-month old dog on Monday evening, but it kept running around me and jumping on my body happily. U can't control that dog, so I think training it is not possible grin grin
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kolokolobi(m): 2:12pm On Apr 02, 2015
Your request of a pic will be granted.
@XPLadez. ....getting a dog to respect love and obey you is not a snapshot. It is a reel. Consistency patience and constiStency. Don't forget it's a dog and not a human being. A flash in the pan won't do. Repetition of the right things over time will deliver results. Did I forget patience again. Do note however that different breeds have varying levels of intelligence and temperaments. The phrase ...teaching an old dog new tricks comes to mind. ....though you can still teach older dogs new things. Starting early won't be a bad idea at all. Finally it will cost loads in time currency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 2:18pm On Apr 02, 2015
XBLadez:
I'm still wondering how u guys manage this obedience class of a thing. I don't think it's possible with all dogs. I tried it with a friend's 7-month old dog on Monday evening, but it kept running around me and jumping on my body happily. U can't control that dog, so I think training it is not possible grin grin

What breed? I have an Alsatian dog (German shepherd plus something else) and boy is she old in terms of training. I'm talking a little over 3 years. I was not around when they got her but i met her sometime last year. For the fun of it, i watched a few YouTube videos plus i've always loved how well behaved the dogs i saw were. I tried a few commands on her and guess what? IT WORKED! Now she understands:
sit
out
to your house
shake (no kidding she shakes my hand with her paw)
Lie (i have to rub her back for this and she lies on the floor)
I've been trying to teach her catch but it aint working. I've given up somewhat - i guess. So i don't pursue it anymore. undecided

I'm just happy with the progress she has made. She is a bit boisterous too; jumps all over me but once i give a command, she heeds. The rewards are great, i show her off to friends and they all go wowwwwwwwwww! Don't give up on that dog. LOL

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 2:27pm On Apr 02, 2015
That's the guy's video i watched on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhGsDl0OWI

His handle is Training Positive. I found him quite helpful. Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 3:05pm On Apr 02, 2015
Thanks a lot, guys! I found that video helpful. That guy is a genius! Though, for now, I don't have a dog of my own now because of my busy schedule. I wouldn't want to keep my pet in the care of another person, even if it's my blood brother. I'm so passionate about dogs that I quarrel with people maltreating/mishandling them. I remember how I got beaten up by a group sometime ago for trying to stop a dog fight they staged grin
When I'm finally settled, I'll get one. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 6:12pm On Apr 02, 2015
Thanks to everyone following this thread and i apologize for my inability to post pictures and keep the thread lively.
I am back on track and will begin update of our daily activities and please i will like to add that Vera will also come into the picture because she is part of Coopers life and Coopers diary cannot be complete without Vera.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 9:13am On Apr 03, 2015
@deeptesting. Please we await the chronicles of Vera n Cooper together forever. cheesy LOL.

@all.
When I was younger, we had a number of dogs. My favourite was the pure breed rott. He was imported. Gosh. I loved the dog with my entire being. I taught the dog how to sit, hug, shake and kiss. lipsrsealed cheesy

Captain was his name. The dog was absolutely loyal, brave, a true boss. But he died. That was the first and only heartbreak I ever experienced. cry

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:41am On Apr 03, 2015
Cooper recently developed this bad habit....Once you serve him his food he will use his leg unbalance to the bowl. It is a behavior that has to be corrected as early as possible. How can this behavior be nipped? I will like us to share ideas on it....

I am working on it but will like to hear from you..."Yes You".

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 9:43am On Apr 03, 2015
deeptesting:
Cooper recently developed this bad habit....Once you serve him his food he will use his leg unbalance the bowl. It is a behavior that has to be corrected as early as possible. How can this behavior be nipped? I will like us to share ideas on it....

Naughty naughty dog. I'm so clueless here; maybe nail his bowl 2d ground? Okay that was a joke...

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:49am On Apr 03, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

Naughty naughty dog. I'm so clueless here; maybe nail his bowl 2d ground? Okay that was a joke...

Lol! You can't imagine what he will do with a nailed bowl on the floor when he become an adult, if the behavior is not nipped.
I hope to hear from more people before sharing my technique.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 9:50am On Apr 03, 2015
deeptesting:
Cooper recently developed this bad habit....Once you serve him his food he will use his leg unbalance the bowl. It is a behavior that has to be corrected as early as possible. How can this behavior be nipped? I will like us to share ideas on it....

Lmao! If he does that next time shout "Don't!" and then take away the food, or pack it off so he won't be able to eat it. Make him know ur displeased. After one hour, serve him another. Repeat and repeat, he'll understand. But make sure the quantity of food served is small to avoid unnecessary wastage
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:53am On Apr 03, 2015
XBLadez:

Lmao! If he does that next time shout "Don't!" and then take away the food, or pack it off so he won't be able to eat it. Make him know ur displeased. After one hour, serve him another. Repeat and repeat, he'll understand. But make sure the quantity of food served is small to avoid unnecessary wastage

Ok. nice input...Good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kuzee(m): 4:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
get a dog bowl sire,
that is no dog bowl, even water, they are growing, so expect such..

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Apitch(m): 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
There is this dog bowl that balance well on the ground and can't be turned over by ur dog, I will try and paste a pix of mine when I get home. Dogs like to play with their food often and they like the sound the plate makes when they hit it. I advice u get the bowl

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Seun(m): 5:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
Why don't people create threads to ask their questions?
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by MockinJay(m): 5:14pm On Apr 03, 2015
Boss wants more threads grin ^^^
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by tranxo(m): 7:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
MockinJay:
Boss wants more threads grin ^^^
Lol...exactly

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kuzee(m): 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
una nor de try o
I de vex seriously, na me first talk say na coz you need dog bowl, anoda person come kollect my post, una dash am like
no walhalla, jux de look una..
oya mak una dash me likes grin

waffi boi in da hood

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Meet Some Of My Gsds (DDR Bloodlines) / The Owl A Nairalander Caught At A Site / Man Takes Selfie With His Goat(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.