Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? (17863 Views)

"If Amaechi Leaves His Polling Unit On Saturday,beat Him Very Well" - Wike / Amaechi Is The Lion Of Africa – Dele Momodu / I Don’t Care If Amaechi Emerges Minister – Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by fitzmayowa: 2:50am On Feb 04, 2015
Can you imagine if the Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, is still a member of Peoples Democratic Party? Imagine that he and his colleagues are supporting President Goodluck Jonathan in the forthcoming election? Imagine that the political disagreements between the wife of the President and later the President with Amaechi did not happen. Can you imagine that the failed attempt to forcefully overthrow the governor by five House of Assembly members did not happen? Can you imagine if the oil wells in Soku were not ceded in an artificial boundary dispute? Can you imagine that the election of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum was upheld and the factionalisation avoided? Can you imagine that the suspension of the five PDP governors was reversed after a while and the genuine reconciliation process initiated? Can you imagine that the spilt in the PDP was avoided through a more inclusive leadership? Can you imagine that a then serving minister, Chief Nyesom Wike, was cautioned when he started hauling insults at Amaechi as if he was the only one who knew how to defend the President? Imagine if the President prevented these matters from worsening?

These questions were going on like a whirlwind in my mind as I watched President Jonathan’s rally in Port Harcourt the other day. It was a well-attended one. Many of the President’s supporters from Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom were mobilised because many political leaders in Rivers State were attending another political rally in Khana, the headquarters of Ogoniland. I listened to the President’s speech. He was not himself. He was struggling, almost gasping for air. He first wiped his face then removed his spectacles as if he was preparing for a tough fight. Yet, he could not say much. He attempted to respond to the questions raised by Governor Amaechi about the lack of federal projects in the state throughout the six years of Jonathan’s Presidency. Instead of providing answers on what he has done for the people of Rivers and Bayelsa states, the President went ahead to admit that he did not do much in the region because he is a transparent man who considers other people first. He later promised to develop the South-South zone if re-elected. Really? Does that mean he had no answer to the questions continuously raised by the governor over the years? Has Amaechi then been vindicated?

In my amazement, I momentarily took myself on a mental excursion down memory lane of how all this started. There was an indescribable feeling inside of me. One part of pity and the other side of it-serves-you right. As you keep following the campaigns of President Jonathan and his dwindling popularity nationwide, evident from the several opinion polls including the ones organised by his supporters, you will only have to shrug helplessly. How come he did not see all these coming? Do not get me wrong, the President still has supporters in both Rivers and Bayelsa states. The son-of-the-soil syndrome is still alive. However, one can say without doubt that he will not score anywhere near the 1,817, 762 votes that he scored in 2011. Out of the 1,253,603 eligible voters who have collected their permanent voter cards in Rivers State, the President will be very lucky to get 800,000 which will, in any case, be below half of what he scored in 2011. A chunk of his votes in 2011 will go to his rival Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress. The same thing could happen in Edo, Imo and his home Bayelsa which were his strongest support bases in the last election.

When you look at the political climate prevailing in this country today, you will notice that many of the events above are related. It was a sort of a chain reaction that led from one level to the other. The trigger at least in the eye of the public being the confrontation between the wife of the President, Dame Patience Jonathan with the Rivers State governor during her visit to Okrika. When that incident took place, many sections of the media widely condemned the action of the First Lady.

However, many politicians did not, including the President – at least officially. The First Lady continued to meddle in the affairs of the state until matters got to a point of no return. The unpleasant exchanges continued until things degenerated to a level that it became difficult to control. It is not my intention to interrogate many things that happened in- between especially some that remain beneath public glare. My concern is that if political leaders from the zone including the President were courageous enough to caution the First Lady, some of the other issues might have been avoided. The First Lady might have been stopped in her tracks. Now, what can she do to save her husband from the political storm that is clearly lying ahead?

I will not comment on the failed attempt to forcefully overthrow the governor using the minority of the state House of Assembly members. For me, it was the highest attempt to caricature our democracy. Neither will I bother to say a word about the orchestrated crisis in the NGF. Some people will say that some behind-the-scene efforts were made at reconciliation but these glaring examples portrayed the President as lacking in tact.

Today, what many associates of the President believe to be a simple matter has now become a hydra-headed political monster. I remember how attempts were made to brand Amaechi a betrayer and summarily take care of him. The NGF matter later spiralled out of proportion and resulted into the loss of two very important states, Rivers and Kano by the PDP. What was supposed to be a plan to deal with Amaechi at all costs splashed on four other governors who had to quit the party.

Since their departure, despite all the pretences, the PDP has never remained the same. If you look at the main opposition party, the APC, you will see that the momentum it got started from when these governors joined them. No one can play down on the role of state governors in contemporary Nigerian politics. In 2003, the governors were with Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and President Olusegun Obasanjo allegedly had to beseech him for support. After Obasanjo’s victory, who prevailed?

Some people argue that Amaechi himself should have managed to desist from making public statements on the matter so that internal resolution mechanisms could be explored. However many politicians from the northern part of Nigeria have shown the President that they may not support him in the forthcoming election. His best bet, if any, will be to sweep his home base as he did in 2011. If the presidential election takes place today, that will hardly be the case and one of the reasons will be the avoidable political conflict between the President and his “younger brother”, Amaechi. Things have really got out of hand. Maybe, irredeemably, according to some analysts. The battle line might have been drawn. A majority of voters have made up their minds. I keep imagining the kind of difference it would have made politically if Amaechi and President Jonathan were on the same side at this time.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/what-if-amaechi-is-still-with-president-jonathan/

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by hyfr(m): 3:01am On Feb 04, 2015
This got me thinking,politics is a mind game. This can be a plot to shame buhari massively. Beginning to wonder why Fani kayode and doyin okupe are soo sure of wining massively. Mmmh cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by hyfr(m): 3:03am On Feb 04, 2015
Some politicians can be wicked. This is soo wicked another 4years gone I hope he contests in 2019 cool
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by hyfr(m): 3:04am On Feb 04, 2015
Lalasticlala,seun,ishilove,obinoscopy I think this is worthy of home page so my people can give this a thought cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Kazrem(m): 3:06am On Feb 04, 2015
You did well. If all of what you said didn't happen, I think APC and Buhari wouldn't have any chance if winning this presidential election or at most their chance will be slim compared to current situation. But as they say, everything happens for a reason. Maybe it all happened to make power change hands.

25 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Nobody: 3:09am On Feb 04, 2015
The First Lady went on power overdose and all hell broke loose. The President is a man of no spine who lacks power to tame or caution his wife. The First lady disrespected a sitting governor in the public and it was widely reported she asked the Governor to sit-down but the president did nothing about it. That alone portrays the woman as power monger. PEJ has shown from the onset that she loves power. It was a shock to many of us when PEJ declared that National Assembly should create certain powers in the hands of First Ladies. The woman believes she's as powerful as president of Nigeria. She asked to be recognized in the constitution.

As we know it today, First lady is in a battle with the Governor of Bayelsa State. I have never seen a First lady who felt she is equal to the president of Nigeria. I have never seen where First lady invited police commissioner into her office.

It will all end in tears for PEJ on Febuari 14 night.

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by reporter1: 3:22am On Feb 04, 2015
Jonathan lacks tact and his wife is just plain crude who lacks decorum. Both of them are not suitable for any position of power.

Even if Amechi had remained in PDP, Buhari would still be in this position maybe not as well positioned as it is now.

This election is about the "haves and have nots." For once, Nigerians want to control their own destiny and chase away the thieves who have been looting our coffers for the last 16 yrs.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by brainpower(m): 3:30am On Feb 04, 2015
I still don't understand how Rivers State alone being against PDP now makes Buhari a serious contender, to me I think he would have still been a contender considering the merger, Rivers state or no Rivers State. This post is biased, thought it would have been balanced enough, only for me to see the OP praising Amaechi and downgrading GEJ. The height of misinformation here is saying that Wike started attacking Amaechi and should have been called to order and forgetting that Amaechi started the attacks.

I keep trying to tell people that the problem between GEJ and Amaechi wasn't personal though it seems to be going that way now, it was a game of interests. Concerning the NGF, the real story dates back to 2011 when GEJ wanted to contest and Amaechi was the chairman, we know the demands they made and nobody in his right senses will want to leave his fate in someone else's hands.

Concerning Amaechi, I don't have any problem with his defection to APC, he is an ambitious politician and he was offered more in APC, his defection was for personal interest. If GEJ is voted out, he stands a chance of running for president in the next four years cos the south south will claim that we haven't completed our 8years.

Its quite unfortunate that there are youths who are ready to accept his reasons as not being personal. Why did he use and old man to contest for the senate in his senatorial district? Its so he can take over from the man after 4years. He is working for his personal gain and so is GEJ. Definitely he would have been an advantage for the president but their ambitions led to their separation. The only person Amaechi has ever been loyal to is himself and Odili.

28 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by watered(m): 3:43am On Feb 04, 2015
At this point I remember Yahaya Kwande on December 5th 2013 when he said "There are no permanent friends or foes in politics"

Nigeria's politics is all about speedy calculations not about how many people attended your rally, so those jubilating of having massive crowd should have a re-think.

7 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Raiders: 4:20am On Feb 04, 2015
GEJ is not a good politician and I think he would probably lose the elections. He should have learn from OBJ. Before the 2003 elections, OBJ had similar problems with some governors and Atiku but OBJ played his game well and was able to buy the support of all the PDP govenors and Atiku. OBJ also made some promises to the then northern politicians so they would support his re election in 2003. This was what help OBJ defeat Buhari. but after the 2003 elections, OBJ was able to control the PDP machinery and expelling most of the northern politicians that gave him problem during his first tenure including Atiku, the PDP chairman Audu Ogbeh.

GEJ should have waited till after the 2015 elections before fighting with politicians like Ameachi, Saraki and Ex PDP governors. GEJ should have been loyal to Ameachi and those Ex pdp governors and try to pleased them as much as possible so that he can have a united party before the elections.

17 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 04, 2015
I thought so too when he visited governor Lamido
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Mynd44: 5:58am On Feb 04, 2015
Imagine if Kwakwanso is still in the PDP

8 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Bugatie(m): 6:35am On Feb 04, 2015
Amaechi is inconsequential as it stands today,
And with or without his support, GEJ is winning the general election!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by hardywaltz(m): 6:39am On Feb 04, 2015
Amaechi the Lion of the Tribe of Ubima
Most Nairalanders don't know who Amaechi is..

Amaechi is one man who when his mind is made up no Jupiter can change it.

We have asked Gov Amaechi on several occasions why he takes this fight with the President so personal and it makes our work difficult for us.
Only on one occasion did he answer us, according to him: his intention was to initially draw the attention of GEJ to the unwise action of his minister and wife in setting fire in his (President) backyard.
However on one of those occasions when he and other aggrieved Governors of the PDP held several meetings in Aso Rock, GEJ agreed to all the other Governors requests only his (Amaechi) was turned down. His request was even the simplest that the party structure be returned back to him as the leader in the state.
The other Governors (Northerners) walked out of the meeting just because of Amaechi.
Amaechi also while he was leaving the meeting venue Patience was walking by and hauled all sorts of insults on him (while GEJ and his security details walked past) and promised him that he will be removed in a couple of weeks.
He Tot the woman was joking only they tried to impeach him with 5 foolish lawmakers that was the moment when he made up his mind that even if it will cost him his political career that he (Amaechi) and GEJ will be jobless come may 29th. Amaechi's problem with GEJ is basically with his wife GEJ is just collateral damage.

Amaechi knows GEJ will win Rivers State but the plan is to deliver the necessary 25% to Buhari and let Kano, Katsina etc rake in the numbers.

Now just like the Op
Imagine that in that Meeting that GEJ had agreed to return the party structure to Amaechi wouldn't he and those other Governors still be in PDP?

The truth is that for those of us who know Amaechi very well, he is one man dat likes to swim against the tide even if it will cost him everything. In 1993 elections he supported the Ijaws (Rufus Adageorge) been Governor against his brother Sergeant Awuse on one occasion he was beaten black and blue in Emouha for following "mba nmiri" waterside people.
Today he single handedly reduced Sergeant Awuse from been a political bulldozer to a political wheel barrow.

That hatred for Amaechi by Ikwerres still exists up till today, but it did not stop him from propelling to greater heights. So even if Southerners hate Amaechi it will not stop him from moving on to greater heights post 2015

53 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by psyqs(m): 6:55am On Feb 04, 2015
Am sorry guys
Even though i no read anything here
make i book____________________________
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:15am On Feb 04, 2015
hyfr:
This got me thinking,politics is a mind game. This can be a plot to shame buhari massively. Beginning to wonder why Fani kayode and doyin okupe are soo sure of wining massively. Mmmh cool

I am very sure, you didn't read the article!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by HopeAtHand: 7:16am On Feb 04, 2015
Dr. Jonathan accidentally found himself President of Nigeria.

If he had gone through the processes of building a political base and other consultations as 'normal' politicians go through, he would have been aware that wife should not come first before political associates.

20 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by hyfr(m): 7:19am On Feb 04, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

I am very sure, you didn't read the article!
I did, just wrote my exact mind

5 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by acidtalk: 7:27am On Feb 04, 2015
Ameach is a man amongst men. Bold, Strong, and Intelligent.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Emperor007: 7:35am On Feb 04, 2015
In politics there is only permanent interest, no permanent enemy.

Imagine OBJ supporting GMB now?

In this case, the interest is to return power to The North ( must be Core Northern muslim ), not that a Buhari ( GMB ) would perform better than GEJ.

The better 2015 presidential option still remains GEJ based on the candidates presented to Nigerians.

7 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by nakamora: 7:43am On Feb 04, 2015
Amaechi I know, what is GEJ is it a livingthing or a non-livingthing?.

5 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by SaiBuharii: 8:37am On Feb 04, 2015
G
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Kundagarten: 8:37am On Feb 04, 2015
Not needed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Adekamkpe23: 8:38am On Feb 04, 2015
GEJ

9 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by BrosPeter: 8:38am On Feb 04, 2015
He will soon be imprisoned by the Nyesom WIKE administration.

4 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 04, 2015
Just like the saying, "you never miss the water till it's gone"
GEJ must have realize what hit him by now.

4 Likes

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by msmon(m): 8:38am On Feb 04, 2015
Amaechi? I don't even what to talk about him, he's too lousy for my liking.

Goodluck Jonathan Is A Superior Presidential Material To Muhammadu Buhari, By Femi Aribisala(Columnist)
www.nairaland.com/2127363/gej-superior-presidential-material-gmb#2127363.3

I’ll Perform Better In My Second
Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan
Assures

www.nairaland.com/2128799/ill-perform-better-second-term#30406396

We Are Not Aware Of Plan For Interim
Government - Nigeria Army

www.nairaland.com/2129048/not-aware-plan-interim-government

1 Like

Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:39am On Feb 04, 2015
I smell PoliTRICKS....
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Nobody: 8:39am On Feb 04, 2015
and?
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Babaneh(m): 8:39am On Feb 04, 2015
he would have been his campaign chairman
Re: What If Amaechi Is Still With President Jonathan? by Nutase: 8:39am On Feb 04, 2015
it wont make a difference.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruga: Zamfara State Approves 300 Hectares Of Land For RUGA Settlement / BREAKING: Lagos Assembly Sets Up Committee To Probe Ambode / FG Seeks Support Of South-East Leaders On Social Media Regulation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.