Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] (15361 Views)

My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos / Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 12:58am On Feb 05, 2015
Capsicum Farming: some call it green pepper others sweet pepper or bell pepper. Let me just say this plainly, the market for this particular product is hardly satisfied. to an extent that shop rite has to import. can you imagine that? anyways, a single kg of bell pepper is almost N600. it seems to be the most expensive vegetable so far. There is serious profit in planting such luxury vegetable.

2 Likes

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jethro2: 1:16am On Feb 05, 2015
Glad I am tapping from the pros. Fantastic thread
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by nikaShow(m): 6:53am On Feb 05, 2015
AgriBUSINESS is growing !
This people are both businessmen and Agri-Prenuers ,
Keep putting your ideas out there ! Trust me , people are reading and are picking them up.

1 Like

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by kk4real: 12:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
Pavore9:
l was joking with one of the Rev.Sisters here in Nairobi who is also Nigerian that if she was the regular business woman she for don become multi-millionaire with her out-of-box approach 2 agriculture, d videos she has on her laptop are mind-blowing!
Hi Pavore. I have sent you a couple of emails asking for your contact. still no response, planning on visiting kenya hence the request for them. Pls reply me on tonero98@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 12:07pm On Feb 05, 2015
[quo
kk4real:
Hi Pavore. I have sent you a couple of emails asking for your contact. still no response, planning on visiting kenya hence the request for them. Pls reply me on tonero98@yahoo.com. Thanks
Make sure you learn strawberry farming o angry
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Kalusam(m): 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2015
And am following this thread keenly both as a learner in some of the crops and a pro in others. Its not about what you read here or the calls you make, practice out whatever you learn in a small piece of land and you are sure to succeed, if and only if you put in a strong determination to achieve...all things being equal!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 1:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
kk4real:
Check your mail.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 1:07pm On Feb 05, 2015
jasper7:
[quo Make sure you learn strawberry farming o angry
lol....e be like say strawberry dey over hungry you!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by saliubello(m): 1:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sir, may I suggest that we may organise Agro-tourism to Kenya. Please consider this package closely. I'm in when you can put something together
Pavore9:
lol....e be like say strawberry dey over hungry you!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 1:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
@Kalusam, l share ur thought, l encourage people to experiment with a small space, it is like doing ur research to get an idea of what works & doesn't. l visited someone who was experimenting cabbage in her greenhouse, she got it right @2nd attempt.

2 Likes

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 1:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
saliubello:
Sir, may I suggest that we may organise Agro-tourism to Kenya. Please consider this package closely. I'm in when you can put something together
Been given similar suggestion, will see how l can help.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by nigerfine: 2:07pm On Feb 05, 2015
Great guys.....more thinking more wealth built.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2015
About 2years ago when I was going back and forth on what to farm. My immediate elder brother gave me an advice that has so far been a game changer for me in agribusiness.

He said to me "Jay, concentrate on one crop, be a master in it. produce it all year round and exploit every possible market in it before you move to another".

That sounded very silly to me. why do I put all my eggs in one basket? My brother is not really the business guru, (he even takes business advice from me). But he had pretty solid reasons for it.

The idea of not putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't apply in agribusiness. especially for someone who is starting new, commercially.

You need perfection to be able to produce a crop commercially, and make profit in it. And perfection is hardly achieved if your attention is divided between multiple crops.

This is where most local farmers get it wrong. Back in the days, when Nigeria was excelling in agriculture, you had farmers who had 100 of acres of maize, for groundnut, cassava, oil palm, cocoa, cashew e.t.c They were king in their own crops, they were wealthy.

My suggestion. if you have 10acres for instance, plant 9acres of whatever crop you are really good at. The last acre divide into 6plots. and experiment other profitable crops in it. if out of all you decide to change to another, then you can. but perfection is key in commercial farming.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by sheyi86: 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
jasper7:
About 2years ago when I was going back and forth on what to farm. My immediate elder brother gave me an advice that has so far been a game changer for me in agribusiness.

He said to me "Jay, concentrate on one crop, be a master in it. produce it all year round and exploit every possible market in it before you move to another".

That sounded very silly to me. why do I put all my eggs in one basket? My brother is not really the business guru, (he even takes business advice from me). But he had pretty solid reasons for it.

The idea of not putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't apply in agribusiness. especially for someone who is starting new, commercially.

You need perfection to be able to produce a crop commercially, and make profit in it. And perfection is hardly achieved if your attention is divided between multiple crops.

This is where most local farmers get it wrong. Back in the days, when Nigeria was excelling in agriculture, you had farmers who had 100 of acres of maize, for groundnut, cassava, oil palm, cocoa, cashew e.t.c They were king in their own crops, they were wealthy.

My suggestion. if you have 10acres for instance, plant 9acres of whatever crop you are really good at. The last acre divide into 6plots. and experiment other profitable crops in it. if out of all you decide to change to another, then you can. but perfection is key in commercial farming.
thanks for dis piece of advice. The reason y we young farmer are nt really making enuf profit is jack of all crops master of none, sm years bck i planted ugu in large quantity in d long run wen i started making my cul money i quickly jump 2 maize production instead of concentrating in d maintenance of my ugu i faced d maize at d end of d whole show weed tuk over ugu plot and i lost d maize 2 grasscutter nd weed.more divine wisdom upon u in JESUS NAME
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 9:33pm On Feb 05, 2015
@jasper7, ls the N600 per kilo for the capsicum also apply to the yellow variety? (lt always reminds me of ose nsukka though way bigger)

1 Share

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 9:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
sheyi86:
thanks for dis piece of advice. The reason y we young farmer are nt really making enuf profit is jack of all crops master of none, sm years bck i planted ugu in large quantity in d long run wen i started making my cul money i quickly jump 2 maize production instead of concentrating in d maintenance of my ugu i faced d maize at d end of d whole show weed tuk over ugu plot and i lost d maize 2 grasscutter nd weed.more divine wisdom upon u in JESUS NAME
Thanks for this practical example. This is exactly what I am talking about. On a good day, if you had continued your ugu and expanded. by now, you'd have been talking about your 1 million naira ugu farm. I know a farmer who harvest a minimum of 200k worth of ugu per harvest. from a land that is less than 2 acres. and she harvests twice a week. she now is a king in ugu farming and it's feeding her and her family.

1 Like

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 9:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
@Pavore9. yes o. I think the yellow one is a bit more expensive although it is sold only in the premium markets. like shoprite and the rest of them.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
jasper7:
@Pavore9. yes o. I think the yellow one is a bit more expensive although it is sold only in the premium markets. like shoprite and the rest of them.
Am addiated to the yellow variety. l get them @ N315/kg.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 10:09pm On Feb 05, 2015
Two weeks ago, a guy who was pitching his company's services said that the 24ft by 72ft greenhouse they build produces 1650kg of capsicum monthly & they will also facilitate exporting the produce as it attracts good price in d international market.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 10:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
Pavore9:
Two weeks ago, a guy who was pitching his company's services said that the 24ft by 72ft greenhouse they build produces 1650kg of capsicum monthly & they will also facilitate exporting the produce as it attracts good price in d international market.
that's quite interesting. I know the yellow capsicum has great value. whatever happened to ose nsukka shaa. That's one of the best flavoured pepper I ever saw. and I have seen alot of peppers.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by saliubello(m): 10:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
im learning
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 11:13pm On Feb 05, 2015
@jasper7, way back when l worked in Omasi-agu (Anambra)& Adani (Enugu)which are communities next to each other, we stayed @ Omasi but went to Adani for shopping for food, fuel etc, u need to have seen how ose nsukka was wasting @ that local market!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by sheyi86: 7:23am On Feb 06, 2015
jasper7:

Thanks for this practical example. This is exactly what I am talking about. On a good day, if you had continued your ugu and expanded. by now, you'd have been talking about your 1 million naira ugu farm. I know a farmer who harvest a minimum of 200k worth of ugu per harvest. from a land that is less than 2 acres. and she harvests twice a week. she now is a king in ugu farming and it's feeding her and her family.
yes o that is d truth.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by PapaBrowne(m): 9:30pm On Feb 06, 2015
Ride on Jasper! You are so inspirational!! I dey follow oh!!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by excess4luv: 10:16pm On Feb 06, 2015
Gradually keying in...... Planted a local breed of watermelon for testrunning, its 6days now and is yet to germinate, also plans on testrunning pepper but yet to get the seed, jasper plz can u be of help Uchenwogu5@gmail.com
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by senato123(m): 11:15pm On Feb 06, 2015
@Pavore please send info on d yellow capiscum pepper to my mail gentlet2005@yahoo.com
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by MsJJ(f): 3:41am On Feb 07, 2015
This is the first time I'll be commenting on NL! I've learnt a lot and hope to share my success story soon! Rather than strawberries, I will suggest blueberries, raspberries or blackberries, these are more rugged while you experiment n learn more about strawberries which are VERY delicate! I have planted all three types of berries but the strawberries never survived (not giving up tho). Growing from seed is difficult but I easily find the plants to buy from local nurseries (in Jos). Broccolli and cauliflower is farmed in Jos and most Abuja stores bbuy from there. You are an inspiration @Jasper7 and I WISH TO LEARN FROM YOU!
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by abatoza1313: 10:59pm On Feb 07, 2015
MsJJ:
This is the first time I'll be commenting on NL! I've learnt a lot and hope to share my success story soon! Rather than strawberries, I will suggest blueberries, raspberries or blackberries, these are more rugged while you experiment n learn more about strawberries which are VERY delicate! I have planted all three types of berries but the strawberries never survived (not giving up tho). Growing from seed is difficult but I easily find the plants to buy from local nurseries (in Jos). Broccolli and cauliflower is farmed in Jos and most Abuja stores bbuy from there. You are an inspiration @Jasper7 and I WISH TO LEARN FROM YOU!

Please can i have your email addy? I am interested in purchasing berries seedlings or seeds or please mail me on beauenfant13@gmail.com
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by cava: 8:36am On Feb 08, 2015
@msjj as for the brocoolli and cauliflower planted in jos, were they planted on open field or in green house? and where do they source their seeds from. please respond. the berries you planted, were they also done openly or green house. if in open field, can they survive in the south west ogun state to be precise considering the weather.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 9:41am On Feb 08, 2015
MsJJ:
Is zucchini (courgettes) also available at the local nurseries?

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Juliana7: 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2015
Wow! Priceless info on dis thread. Big ups to u OP
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 10:35am On Feb 09, 2015
Just got back into my favourite town - Owerri. cheesy. Good to be back home. The fresh air in my front yard is refreshing.

Today, I want to talk about marketing. I have always received calls from prospective farmers and the one major question they ask is... "is there market for it?".

My answer to that question is "I don't know". And to be honest, that's the only answer available.

The truth is, there's no "kinetic" market sitting and waiting for anybody. But there's is always a "potential" market. when I talk of potential and kinetic, I talk of prospective and moving. I would come back to talk more about that. Let me go and greet my staff and fellow farmers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties / Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 / Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.