Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER (37044 Views)

This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism / Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates / Things U Shouldn't Say, Do Or Wear In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by claycares: 9:31am On Feb 05, 2015
There are certain things all bosses dread to hear. “I lost the account,” “There’s a big mistake,” and “I think the building is on fire,” would all qualify, but I’m talking about sentences that may seem innocuous to you, but can be a big deal to your boss.

Consider each of these sentences — and how you can turn them around to stay on your boss’ good side.

“Are you sure you want to do that…?”
You don’t want to come across as teaching your boss something he or she already knows. Tread carefully when schooling your boss on anything. If you feel you have to say something, approach the topic with the assumption that your boss may have overlooked or forgotten something — not that he doesn’t know how to do his job.

“Did you see what so-and-so just did? She is just so hard to work with!”
Save the interpersonal drama for your friends and family members, because your boss doesn’t want to hear about it. He certainly doesn’t want you to be a tattle-tale, and he doesn’t want to know about how much you dislike your coworkers. Unless someone you work with has made a major violation of company policy, or a big mistake in their work, keep your personal grievances, well, personal.

“I didn’t want to bother you in case the problem worked itself out…”
Chances are, if you’re saying this sentence, something has gone horribly wrong, and your boss didn’t see it coming, because you didn’t give her the heads up. Most bosses would much rather know about potential problems before they happen than get blind-sided and have to play catch up. When alerting your boss to a potential problem, be sure to include what you’re doing to prevent it.

“If you don’t do this, I’m going to quit!”
Ultimatums are a bad idea in pretty much every situation, but especially when it comes to talking to your boss. Are you sure you’re as irreplaceable as you think you are? Besides the fact that it comes off sounding juvenile, it might make your boss choose the nuclear option and decide you’re not worth the alternative. It’s fine to draw a line in your mind — if you need to quit, you need to quit — but don’t threaten.

“As a Millennial…” or “People in my generation…”
Yes, he gets it: you’re younger than he is. But chances are, your boss doesn’t want to be reminded of his age — or yours. Unless you’re specifically asked your opinion as a younger person, don’t bring up your age or generation. If you’re suggesting a change, couch it in terms of how it will benefit the company, not just the Millennials.

“That can’t be done.”
If your boss wants something to be done, she doesn’t want to hear that it can’t be done. Plus, saying that something can’t be done is an easy way out. Instead, focus on what you can do to make it happen — research, experimentation, brainstorming new ideas, and so on.

“I need a raise.”
To be clear, you should absolutely ask for a pay rise when you feel you deserve one, but be careful how you phrase your request. Nearly everyone would like more money, so instead of saying you “need” one, start by outlining your value to the company, your accomplishments, and responsibilities. Your goal should be making your boss want to give you a raise!

These are some of my pet peeves, but I bet you have your own. What sentences would you add to the list? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by claycares: 9:32am On Feb 05, 2015
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Humblebloke(m): 10:33am On Feb 05, 2015
Noted....

Ion think I agree wit u on some of the points u listed....
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 05, 2015
noted.
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by adeshola1(m): 10:43am On Feb 05, 2015
Hmmmm... I see Dat nice

Anyway third 2 comment... Awaiting FTC
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by bunmioguns(m): 10:43am On Feb 05, 2015
cool
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Trending(m): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2015
nairalist
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by dmjinc(m): 10:45am On Feb 05, 2015
k
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:45am On Feb 05, 2015
Start your own business / farm and be your own boss.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Generalkorex(m): 10:45am On Feb 05, 2015
Ok thanks
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by publicenemy(m): 10:46am On Feb 05, 2015
Nairaland and lists...

Una wan turn us to robots abi?............. Do these... Dont do these.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by tdayof(m): 10:46am On Feb 05, 2015
I hear
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by john403: 10:49am On Feb 05, 2015
Nice one and so true at all the points you have made.

No holiday for schools during elections – Minister of Education
Source: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/education-news/item/2974-breaking-no-holiday-for-schools-during-elections-minister-of-education
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Nobody: 10:49am On Feb 05, 2015
donigspain:
That awkward moment when you got drenched in the rain at Anthony Village on your way to work only to get to Ikeja GRA and find no single drop of rain there.
People will just keep looking at your drenched self like you were an alien.

#AwkwardMoment #ThursdayMorning #StruggleOfLife

It's normal on a rainy season to appear in a non-raining vicinity drenched... no awkward moment there.
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by yurme(m): 10:50am On Feb 05, 2015
_
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by yahyamay(m): 10:51am On Feb 05, 2015
cool
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by seedorfg(m): 10:52am On Feb 05, 2015
Oga sir
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by zigger(m): 10:55am On Feb 05, 2015
Be loyal to ur boss afterall he is ur boss and wen u become a boss pple will be loyal to u
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by Moblord(m): 10:58am On Feb 05, 2015
I'll read it later when i got a job

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by donigspain(m): 10:58am On Feb 05, 2015
dealtinate:

It's normal on a rainy season to appear in a non-raining vicinity drenched... no awkward moment there.
Are we in rainy season? undecided

VOTE WISELY!!! CLICK HERE TO VOTE

UPDATE 12:00pm on 05/02/2014:
- Goodluck Jonathan = 24% (83 votes)
- Mohammadu Buhari = 76% (262 votes)
- Other Candidate = 0% (1 Vote)
- I Don't Care = 0% (1 Vote)

1 Like

Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by funnyme(f): 11:03am On Feb 05, 2015
Today is good o,am on front page.
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by bond77(m): 11:07am On Feb 05, 2015
But wat if my boss slaps me on the right cheek, shud I turn d left? Or

Reciprocate grin
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by youngwarlocks: 11:07am On Feb 05, 2015
ok
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by UEDIBO: 11:07am On Feb 05, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
Start your own business / farm and be your own boss.

enlighten us more.
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by nairaman66(m): 11:10am On Feb 05, 2015
Complimente!
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by merits(m): 11:14am On Feb 05, 2015
tell your boss that you admire his wife,and you like to date his daughter.gbaaam!
Re: 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER by OlowoB(m): 11:14am On Feb 05, 2015
[quote author=Moblord post=30446522]I'll read it later when i got a job[/quote]

I think I know why you have not gotten a job so far. The Lord is your strength.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Erisco Foods Limited 2016 Recruitment (97 Positions) / I Just Got A Great Job, God Has Done It. / Nestle Nigeria Plc Graduate Trainees Recruitment 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.