Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,465 members, 7,801,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry (9173 Views)

Arsenal Agrees £6.8m For Henry Onyekuru / Paul Pogba And Thierry Henry Dab (Photos) / Best Ever Goal Scored By The Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by PHAYOL81: 3:23pm On Feb 06, 2015
Cristiano Ronaldo has been voted ahead of Thierry Henry as the greatest player ever to play in the Premier League.

A survey conducted by Usurv placed Ronaldo above Henry and Ryan Giggs who finished in second and third place respectively.

The FIFA Ballon d'Or holder joined United in 2003 from Sporting Lisbon for a fee of £12m.

During his six-year spell at Old Trafford he scored 118 goals in 292 appearances and was named World Player of the Year in 2008 after inspiring United to a third European Cup triumph.

His spell in the Premier League was brought to an end when he joined Real Madrid for a then world-record fee of £80m in 2009.

As many as 1,000 members of the public were given the option of 10 players to vote for and invited to select who they thought was the best in the top-flight's history.

Runner-up: Henry polled second in the vote
Those 10 players were: Ronaldo, Henry, Giggs, Eric Cantona, Gianfranco Zola, Dennis Bergkamp, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira.

Ronaldo raked in 24 percent of the votes - six percent more than the amount gathered by Arsenal legend Henry.

Giggs was given the nod by 13 percent of voters, ahead of former United teammate Eric Cantona and Alan Shearer who both collected 12 percent of the votes.

Departing Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard was the final player to hit double figures as he was backed by 10 percent of people.

Bergkamp, Zola, Keane and Vieira gathered five, three, two and one percent of the remaining votes respectively.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Ryan Giggs
Eric Cantona
Dennis Bergkamp
Patrick Vieira
Player
Votes (%)
Usurv survey.
The final standings

1 Ronaldo (177 votes - 24 percent)
2 Henry (133 votes - 18 percent)
3 Giggs (95 votes - 13 percent)
4 Shearer (92 votes - 12 percent)
5 Cantona (89 votes - 12 percent)
6 Gerrard (77 - 10 percent)
7 Bergkamp (40 votes - five percent)
8 Zola (24 - three percent)
9 Keane (14 votes - two percent)
10 Vieira (six votes - one percent)
*Out of 1000 people surveyed, 253 couldn't decide who to vote for. Their responses were not taken into account.

Who is the Premier League's greatest ever player?
Cristiano Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Ryan Giggs
Alan Shearer
Eric Cantona
Steven Gerrard
Dennis Bergkamp
Gianfranco Zola
Roy Keane
Patrick Vieira
Nw ur pick .....
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by Greatihex(m): 4:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
Wia is lampard?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by PHAYOL81: 4:55pm On Feb 06, 2015
Lamp@rd? Well he z only a legend @ Chelsea n he z nt yt in d League of d abov mentiond, IMO. undecided
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by M4gunners: 6:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
I pray this thread don't make front page, because it's ddisgusting. Ronaldo ahead of Igwe? I reserve my comment for now.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 6:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
M4gunners:
I pray this thread don't make front page, because it's ddisgusting. Ronaldo ahead of Igwe? I reserve my comment for now.
please who us igwe
.....we talking a three time ballon'd'or winner ..u talking igwe

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by Krasid(m): 9:11pm On Feb 06, 2015
M4gunners:
What ronaldo achieved during the few seasons he spent at United, henry did not achieve throughout his entire career in Arsenal.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
Thierry Henry is the greatest EPL player. There is no debate about that. Maybe because of lack of trophies. Individually, Igwe is number one.

He was the EPL's top goal scorer for four seasons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 7:20am On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Thierry Henry is the greatest EPL player. There is no debate about that. Maybe because of lack of trophies. Individually, Igwe is number one.

He was the EPL's top goal scorer for four seasons.
Bros even with trophies,he can't lace ronaldo's boots.... come on....I agree that ronaldo shouldn't have been voted the greatest, there's so much more to greatness.longevity should count and I think the greatest are Henry ,Giggs and Cantona but he's the best to have ever graced EPL.ronaldo spent just 6seasons or thereabout but he achieved things your Henry can only dream of

4 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 7:23am On Feb 07, 2015
And why is Paul Scholes not here....talking about the greatest Midfielder English football has ever seen maybe after Le Tissler

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by dicksj93: 8:24am On Feb 07, 2015
Clearly a joke.....ronaldo was not even consistently d best for upto four years cuz for me I can only count two spectacular seasons n of course he waned out in his final season..Rooney was bera...and d vote him d best eva? Dz is a white joke/lie......I still remember d same poll being conducted on goal wen henry retired n the people clearly voted him d best ever......and lampard ain't even in dah list..den its cert a joke!!!

3 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 8:55am On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
Bros even with trophies,he can't lace ronaldo's boots.... come on....I agree that ronaldo shouldn't have been voted the greatest, there's so much more to greatness.longevity should count and I think the greatest are Henry ,Giggs and Cantona but he's the best to have ever graced EPL.ronaldo spent just 6seasons or thereabout but he achieved things your Henry can only dream of
CR7 had only two wonderful seasons in the EPL. Thierry Henry had four. I repeat. Thierry Henry was four times highest goal scorer in the EPL.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by dicksj93: 9:25am On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
CR7 had only two wonderful seasons in the EPL. Thierry Henry had four. I repeat. Thierry Henry was four times highest goal scorer in the EPL.
and also has d record assists in a single season. ..ronaldo flourished in 2007 n 2008....in 2009 rooney led man u
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 10:06am On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
and bros with those 3 years (2007-2009)he did things Henry can only dream of and achieved things henry didn't achieve throughout his career as a footballer maybe barring a World cup trophy
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:28am On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
and bros with those 3 years (2007-2009)he did things Henry can only dream of and achieved things henry didn't achieve throughout his career as a footballer maybe barring a World cup trophy
It is a lie. His last year in 2009 was average. Sir Alex Ferguson changed CR7's role.

Thierry Henry scored 174 league goals for Arsenal and was a star player in the EPL for up to 8 years. Cristiano Ronaldo scored 84 league goals in about five years. So how can he be the better player?

In CR7's last full three seasons, he scored 66 goals. Thierry Henry scored 82 goals. Come on Thierry Henry was better.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:30am On Feb 07, 2015
dicksj93:
and also has d record assists in a single season. ..ronaldo flourished in 2007 n 2008....in 2009 rooney led man u
No doubt, CR7 would have performed well in his last season but Sir Alex Ferguson switched his role and made Rooney the star of the team after Carlos Queiroz departure and Coach Solksjaer leaving the role as the attacking coach to head the reserve team of Man Utd.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 10:31am On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
No doubt, CR7 would have performed well in his last season but Sir Alex Ferguson switched his role and made Rooney the star of the team after Carlos Queiroz departure and Coach Solksjaer leaving the role as the attacking coach to head the reserve team of Man Utd.
Lol...henry was a striker Bro...and u say his last year was average... u mean the year he was voted the second best player in the world behind Lionel messi
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:34am On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
Lol...henry was a striker Bro
Cristiano Ronaldo's praises has a lot to do with his goals.

Thierry Henry was not a natural point man too. He had strikers like Wiltord, Van Persie and Kanu to work with.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by Babysho(m): 10:41am On Feb 07, 2015
I'd pick Cantona over Ronaldo sef...the people that were present at there probably didnt watch football before 2004...Ronaldo in EPL keh?....anelka...owen...van persie...pires...who be Ronaldo..
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 10:43am On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Cristiano Ronaldo's praises has a lot to do with his goals.

Thierry Henry was not a natural point man too. He had strikers like Wiltord, Van Persie and Kanu to work with.
there were always two strikers when He was in Man united...he was never a striker...the only match he played as a striker was the champions league final..and sir Rooney never led anything when ronaldo was reigning.... Rooney only led Man u 2010-2011 season and guess wat....we won nothing
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 10:48am On Feb 07, 2015
Babysho:
I'd pick Cantona over Ronaldo sef...the people that were present at there probably didnt watch football before 2004...Ronaldo in EPL keh?....anelka...owen...van persie...pires...who be Ronaldo..
none of this players can lace Ronaldo's boots sir....lol...we dey talk better people you dey Owen and van persie .....and even anelka?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by dstnd: 11:52am On Feb 07, 2015
no sentiment.... c Ronaldo
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by hensben(m): 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
Were is lampard and zola
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by 12large1: 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
these folks orgot that cr was not a striker, he won cl with a weaker team that henry common and check arsenal invicibles couldn't win cl, dude won wpoy, a cup and scored 42 goals in a season
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by vicsoj007(m): 1:26pm On Feb 07, 2015
good for him
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 4:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
there were always two strikers when He was in Man united...he was never a striker...the only match he played as a striker was the champions league final..and sir Rooney never led anything when ronaldo was reigning.... Rooney only led Man u 2010-2011 season and guess wat....we won nothing
Andy Cole wrote an article why CR7 went from an over thirty goals a season player to an under eighteen goals per season player. He said the reason was due to Sir Alex Ferguson switching their roles.

Not when I talk of switching roles, I am not talking of CR7 playing as a striker. I am talking of role of play. Under Coach Carlos Queiroz and Coach Solksjaer, the game play had CR7 being in scoring positions. Not necessarily striking.

When The coaches left and Coach Rene and Coach Phelan took over, the role changed to Rodney being more in scoring positions.

Despite that, CR7 outscored Rooney and finished behind Anelka as the second highest goal scorer.

Either way, CR7 was not a better player than Henry in the EPL. You can say Ramos is the best player because he is not striking. Henry was pure class. The true IGWE of the EPL.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 5:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Andy Cole wrote an article why CR7 went from an over thirty goals a season player to an under eighteen goals per season player. He said the reason was due to Sir Alex Ferguson switching their roles.

Not when I talk of switching roles, I am not talking of CR7 playing as a striker. I am talking of role of play. Under Coach Carlos Queiroz and Coach Solksjaer, the game play had CR7 being in scoring positions. Not necessarily striking.

When The coaches left and Coach Rene and Coach Phelan took over, the role changed to Rodney being more in scoring positions.

Despite that, CR7 outscored Rooney and finished behind Anelka as the second highest goal scorer.

Either way, CR7 was not a better player than Henry in the EPL. You can say Ramos is the best player because he is not striking. Henry was pure class. The true IGWE of the EPL.
talk of individual and team achievements in Epl ronaldo beats him....so how was Henry better sir...and role changing or not the fact is Ronaldo scored 42 goals as a winger . A feat your Henry couldn't achieve playing as a second striker

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:02pm On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
talk of individual and team achievements in Epl ronaldo beats him....so how was Henry better sir
Team achievements do not count. We are talking about individual achievements. So tell me how CR7 was a better individual player than Titi Henry. First of all, did he score better individual breathtaking goals than Henry. Did CR7 reign long in the EPL? He only reigned for three seasons. Did he score more goals? No. So please tell me how.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 6:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Team achievements do not count. We are talking about individual achievements. So tell me how CR7 was a better individual player than Titi Henry. First of all, did he score better individual breathtaking goals than Henry. Did CR7 reign long in the EPL? He only reigned for three seasons. Did he score more goals? No. So please tell me how.
breathtaking what?.....Ronaldo won the Puskas award bro..the 1st puskas award...in fact u can say the award was created because of his insane goal against Porto....scored lots of impossible free kicks ...then wat of back-heels....talk of aerial ability,set pieces,dribbling, shooting....in fact Ronaldo too pass am...and yes he didn't score more goals but he achieved things Henry didn't achieve his whole cereer

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:11pm On Feb 07, 2015
babakol:
breathtaking what?.....Ronaldo won the Puskas award bro....scored lots of impossible free kicks ...then wat of back-heels.
I guess you never watched Thierry Henry play. During the Champions League final between Barca and Arsenal, a Barca fan ran into the pitch with a Barcelona Jersey with a Thierry Henry name tag on it. That is a hint of how great he was.

Henry’s achievement of scoring at least 30 goals in five consecutive seasons showed his consistency and the 39 he scored in Arsenal’s Invincible season in 2003/04 – a player at the very peak of his powers.

Just take a look at Thierry Henry's clips. I am not talking long range goals but a guy skipping past players with ease and scoring with no effort. Watch an Igwe clip and write back. Note, I am a true CR7 fan.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
steve_jacks
4 months ago
For three or four years Henry was devastating, brilliant. It was a case of give him the ball and watch him play in a way no-one had before. He ripped teams apart week in, week out, while gliding like poetry-in-motion. Henry was the best player I've seen in the Premier League, the player who dominated the field more than any other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
I guess you never watched Thierry Henry play. During the Champions League final between Barca and Arsenal, a Barca fan ran into the pitch with a Barcelona Jersey with a Thierry Henry name tag on it. That is a hint of how great he was.

Henry’s achievement of scoring at least 30 goals in five consecutive seasons showed his consistency and the 39 he scored in Arsenal’s Invincible season in 2003/04 – a player at the very peak of his powers.

Just take a look at Thierry Henry's clips. I am not talking long range goals but a guy skipping past players with ease and scoring with no effort. Watch an Igwe clip and write back. Note, I am a true CR7 fan.
and I think you know skipping past players was Ronaldo's speciality at man united....I dare you to show me a clip of Henry skipping past just 3 players...I dare you
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Voted Best-ever Premier League Player - Ahead Of Thierry Henry by babakol(m): 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
steve_jacks
4 months ago
For three or four years Henry was devastating, brilliant. It was a case of give him the ball and watch him play in a way no-one had before. He ripped teams apart week in, week out, while gliding like poetry-in-motion. Henry was the best player I've seen in the Premier League, the player who dominated the field more than any other.
lol ...talk of individual brilliance and pundits will tell u only 2 players stand tall in EPL..which are George best and ronaldo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Defeats Sierra Leone 2-0: 2017 WAFU Nations Cup / Turkey: Onyekuru Grabs Brace As Galatasaray Beat Gaziantep Away / Football Is Played With Your Head - Super Falcons Coach, Waldrum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.