Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Writers' Checkmate - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers' Checkmate (20691 Views)

Main Story Thread For Checkmate Competition- Group 2! / Checkmate Competition- Group 2 Collaboration Thread / Checkmate Competition- Group 1 Collaboration Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Writers' Checkmate by princesssusan(f): 2:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
Sure sir! I‘ll ryt away
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2015
Akposb:
Love dis idea. I will love to join.
Group 2
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 2:49pm On Feb 09, 2015
thronekid:

Hmmmmm, u study time for high school ne?
lolz
Re: Writers' Checkmate by losprince(m): 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2015
Its funny how everyone is calling me ionprince cheesy
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2015
Kusibe77:
lolz
Seriously, as u take talk am, e dy somehow, thatz why I dy ask
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
princesssusan:
Sure sir! I‘ll ryt away
Thanks Thronelady!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 09, 2015
Akposb:
Love dis idea. I will love to join.
You're in Group II, Start typing o, u'l meet d oda group members soon!
#mission_kick_as's
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 3:12pm On Feb 09, 2015
thronekid:

Seriously, as u take talk am, e dy somehow, thatz why I dy ask
just think of it. Divepen said the dead line is 10:30.
My understanding was that when the time is 10:29:59 it is closing up. When it reads 10:30 on dot. Ur time is over.
Shey u get?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 3:26pm On Feb 09, 2015
A finger raised tentatively, Any space 4 a rookie? Abeg i want in. @Slap1 hope u are getting beta?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
Kusibe77:
just think of it. Divepen said the dead line is 10:30.
My understanding was that when the time is 10:29:59 it is closing up. When it reads 10:30 on dot. Ur time is over.
Shey u get?
Okay o buh ...
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 09, 2015
It was a hot afternoon, few hours after the saturday Enviromental,I was on my way from Saint theresa's parish were i had spent some hours weeding the church premises.
....It was blazing hot and thoughts of having a cool bathe filled my mind as i walked and wiped at the beads of perspiration rolling down my fore-head.I found myself wondering if my head had a sweat pumping machine as i continued battling with it.
....I walked faster as my soiled armpits started to itch,O God...I moaned suddenly as i saw a large crowd chuckling like school girls,Where did they submerge from? I wondered,i hadnt expected to see such large crowd this scanty afternoon after Environmental.
'Wetin dey appun?' i asked no one in particular as i fought my way to the front,what i saw left me confused...
A dark complexioned man in a black car which i couldnt describe the make was at the wheels shouting..'what is the meaning of this rubbish?''
my eyes fell on who he was asking the question and i nearly burst into laughter. A lasma officer lay on the car bonnet waving his hand on the air.I noticed he was also sweating likewise I.
"oya bring the money i don find hundred naira change" he yelled.
The crowd growled in laughter and i shooked my head pityfully.Nigieria police and thier corruption,whether na lasma or road safety all na the same.
Probably the poor man had been dying of hunger since today was Environmental and the traffic was slow.
Bribery and corruption when will it stop in our country?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Evangelio:
A finger raised tentatively, Any space 4 a rookie? Abeg i want in. @Slap1 hope u are getting beta?

Group 1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 4:05pm On Feb 09, 2015
~~~~GROUP 2~~~~

Tuesday was bright as the scalding sun, scintillating across the borders of the horizon, gave a spark of renewed vigour to everything around.
The earth was brown and breathing again as life cracked another joke, much to the applause of the jeering cosmos.
An angel of law and justice, in the traditional black outfit, graced the event as the co-actor on the grandest of stage the theatre of life had to offer on that ebullient tuesday, only now, I begin to wonder if he was a good angel or the opposite. Well, by the clothes we shall know them.(Don't quote me on that oo, you are on your own).
The other co-star of the show soon arrived the scene in his dark blue golf car, dressed in a white top, just like every other people, he too was having a bite of the morning scuttle that seem to be a normal thing as they raced to their respective destinations right on the edge of time.
"Hey!!! Stop there", like a bolt of lightning out of a dark sky, the angel in black vaulted in front of the incoming car and aimed his weapon of death towards the car as he ordered the golf driver to a halt.
Heads turned and faces became fixated on the rapidly evolving drama.
Chei, I don late today, the golf driver must have soliloquized as he placed his pams on his tilting head and receded the speed of his car to absolute zero.
"Ha officer, good morning o", the driver smiled as he spoke, trying to conceal whatever he felt, "hope work is good?"
"Ah, we thank God o," the officer gave a repartee like he was talking to his best friend. "How work na, hope no wahala?"
"Ah, no o, just the normal normal. You know say we gats hussle for this country?" The driver was wondering if the officer truly cared.
"Na true, na true", the officer repeatedly said as he nodded his head. "So anything for your boys this morning, at least make we take am see road? You know say we too suppose hussle na, abi we no go chop too?"
Ewo, see wahala o, shey na from my pocket you keep chopping money? He amused within himself. He dare not say it out loud unless he wanted to sleep somewhere that wasn't his bed that night.
"Ha officer, I know say una dey try, but I no get plenty for now. If I dey pass here for evening, I go do you well. I promise."
"O boy, that one na story. So make I wait for evening before I chop? Why you wicked like this. Na only fifty naira o."
"Officer, I promise, I go do you well na", the driver began laughing, trying to push his luck.
"O boy, wetin you dey talk sef? Na promise I go chop put for belle? Abi you sef don turn Goodluck's brother?"
"Ha no o, I no be Goodluck's brother", the driver joked mildly.
"Oya na, do something make you comot here, abi you no dey go work again?" The officer, with a frowned face, folded his arms across his chest and rested on the door.
Immediately the driver's brain jerked. He looked at his watch as cursed under his breathe. Chai, I don late today, he must have said to him self.
"Okay, officer, I no get change, when I come back..."
"O boy, no dey talk that one," the officer interrupted. "How much you get?"
"Just hundred naira note, I no get change." The driver retorted, now visibly irritated.
"Eh, we go find change, or you fit dash me the money na."
"Ha oga, abeg, when I dey come back, I go see you, since you no get change and I am already late." The driver said, as he kicked the dead engine into life.
"Mr man, no move this car o, I dey warn you o. I be police o, I fit shoot....", the officer kept shouting as the driver tried pushing his luck by moving the car slowly.
Everyone that watched could only laugh with much vigour as we could only stand there and stare at what was displayed in front of us.
The driver, drove slowly as the officer kept hurling orders that weren't even listened to. The officer, seeing that his gun wasn't with him, he must have kept it somewhere and he couldn't afford to fetch it at the time, decided to give one last ridiculous act.
Quickly, he latched unto the bonnet of the car as he continued screaming.
"Mr. Man, no move this car o, I dey warn you o. You no dey hear word abi? No dey move this car na."
"But I gat no change na", the driver angrily threw his hands to the air, "What's the matter with you? Ha!"
"So na just because of fifty naira you dey do shakara. Oya, bring the hundred naira, I get change,"
"You say what?", the driver acted like he didn't hear him.
"I say I get change, bring the money," the officer, shouted and much people heard him.
"So you get since and you dey worry yourself", driver teased as he handed over a hundred naira note of the Nigerian currency to the angel of the law.
The officer, drew from his pocket, bundles of crispy naira note. He must have been doing this for a long time fo have accumulated such amount. Onlookers could only gasp and moan in utter shock. The officer finally two twenty naira notes and a ten naira note back to the driver.
"Ha, officer, I no dey sell pepper na. Just give me a clean note", the driver said.
"That one na your business", the officer said as he unmounted from the car's bonnet and walked away to block another victim. The driver scurried as he raced to beat time.
The officer took a glance at his spectators and in an instance, the crowd disintegrated. If out of fear or for urgency, that I cannot tell.
The show was over.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
My rating

Thronekid- 4point
Chinweblinkz- 6point
theorbiters- 7point

For the time being, until after the deadline i would post reasons because of those that have not posted.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 4:46pm On Feb 09, 2015
The journey from my LASU to my lodge have been a type of ride i never hoped for. With the heavy traffic that early evening and the scotching sun which made the atmosphere unbearable, looking around in utmost dismay at the road officials who were taking time with their check-up. It was clear that their motive, being on the road at this hour and time of the month, to extort money from the motorist who would use the road that hour.

Enduring their time wasting, i was huming to the tune of 'Akon's sunny day' being played by the radio of my black Volkswagen Golf Mk3, which i recently got as a birthday gift from my mummy. I cared less about the officials whom seemed to be enjoying what so ever they claimed to be doing.

With few cars ahead of me, i made up my mind not to 'donate to their ministry' as they fondly referred to it. It was not my habit not to give, but i don't know the devil that took over me to have such thought in me.

A quick glance at the two officials, on their navy blue shirt neatly stalked-in to the trousers and a the mill-colour baret in which they wore, i lowered the volume of audio device not to increase the bill on myself. I greeted them and the officer whom seemed to be the superior spoke;

"this one that you are alone, hope all is well, i hope your have your contribution" admist smile show casing his cigeratte stained teeth.

"oga sir, na student i be o. Na only one hundred i get here and i wan use am buy sugar and groundnut take soak garri" i replied, with an ''am-sorry-nothing-today tone ''

"erh, bring am my find change give you something inside, just roger them boys, you see say i gat take care of my self" bringing out a packet of Benson & hedges to show me that he needed to buy that .

"oga sir, you know say boys them loyal. Make i move na.."

Was cut shut when an SUV lost control on the other land and crashed into an electric pole wire. The officer who was talking to me was running to the spot were the car crashed, forgeting that their was another officer at the other end, i made to take off and heed to the left hand side of the adjourning road when the other officer ran in front of my car and lay on the bonnet of it like was his bend shouting;

"Oya bring the hundred naira, i get change!"
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 09, 2015
stuff46:
My rating

Thronekid- 4point
Chinweblinkz- 6point
theorbiters- 7point

For the time being, until after the deadline i would post reasons because of those that have not posted.
You don rate? No be after 06:30 ne?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 5:18pm On Feb 09, 2015
Divepen, I wanna know, what is the essence of this thread? Is it just for the marks or for building skills also? If it is for the marks, then so many things cud go wrong but if it is for building and enhancing skills, then I think everyone has to take it into consideration.
I wud like propose that there shud be two judges from each group to rate the work of the other group to avoid some kind of biased minds wen it comes to rating a submitted work. It is just a suggestion.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by susrite(m): 5:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
GROUP I
I just came back from tayo's residence and decide to chill at home. The weather was hot in this part of the country. I walked into the living room, left the door ajar and I was feeling dehydrated. I was getting water from the dispenser in the living room when I heard clattering bouncing around the house; the echo of the noise produced were utmostly audible.
I took my finger away fromthe blue square button on the dispenser and raised my head a bit hoping to see with my ears.
I was swirling my head around like a owl trying to figure out where the noise was emerging from when i saw Jake ran down the staircase.
"Daniel-Dan" he was breathing profusely. "It's mum, I cant find her drugs, sh-she's con-
convulsing" he finished the sentence before alighting from the staircase.
"Mum?" the white paper cup fell from my hand and I spilled the water on the floral-designed brown tiles.
I was confused, ran towards the stairs withthe aim of going to her room and ran back towards the exit of the room after realising I had a thousand and hundred naira with me.
Impatiently, I ran back inside, searched for dad's taxi key beside the figurine on the wooden shelf, took it and ran out again.
It took me almost half a minute to insert the key into the ignition due to my shaky hands. I finally ignited the taxi, not checking if there was fuel in it, and drove out.
I got to the roundabout at jakande and I could see a lastma waving at me.
I knew I was in trouble because I would have 50naira left on me after buying three different drugs for mum to supress her convulsion. I reduced the speed of the vehicle, faked up a little smile and...
"Little boy, where are you car credentials?" the man in a murky black outfit and a beautiful official head-cap asked.
"Sir I can only give you fifty naira here.. Am... I need to get my mum some drugs, she's dying" I put on a pathetic look.
"what did you take me for? A begger" he yelled so much that people's concentration diverted to us. His brows was raised and his hoary bears spiiting fire.
"Oga, I beg..." I started moving the car bit by bit.
"Give me 50 box make I give you 100 box ehn?"
"shey you wan kill me? Why you dey move the car?" he was furious. "I no get change at all" he continued, tossing the old staff on his left hand and was already moving towards the front of
the black taxi.
I started the car when I saw him moving but suprisingly, he flew on the bonnet of the car,
yelling and shouting. I kept driving not minding his stance.
"Eewoo! Eewoo! Oya stop, chai! My friend will you stop this car?!"
I didnt answer him and realised people were watching the scene.
"Oya bring me the money, I don find hundred naira change"he added.
I applied the brake and he came down screaming.
I brought out 100 naira and
collected 50 naira from him.
I drove off to the pharmacy.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 09, 2015
That is why we have rating ....The rating will be divided by number of people that rated it...

This thread is for both... This little exercises are for building writers and for marking...
Re: Writers' Checkmate by susrite(m): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2015
theorbiters:
Divepen, I wanna know, what is the essence of this thread? Is it just for the marks or for building skills also? If it is for the marks, then so many things cud go wrong but if it is for building and enhancing skills, then I think everyone has to take it into consideration.
I wud like propose that there shud be two judges from each group to rate the work of the other group to avoid some kind of biased minds wen it comes to rating a submitted work. It is just a suggestion.
you took those words from my thinking... Seconded by me
Re: Writers' Checkmate by losprince(m): 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2015
***************omo na group two things******************

Ejike, an alaba trader still serving an oga smirked uncontrollably as he pushed the throttle of his oga's volvo down slowly, he admired his manoeuvring skill. Earlier, a lasma officer had waved him to stop which he gracefully did, knowing what the officer was after, he had frowned his face.

"Na so, I never see ugly person wey dey frown before" the officer said amidst placing his hand on the car roof.

"Officer good morning" ejike greeted with a smile.

The officer glanced down and saw ejike smiling. "Hian, me been dey fear say you wan fight me this morning o."

"Ha, officer no be so o, na family issues cause am o" ejike said, still smilling.

"So na my face dey remind you of family problems abi?" The officer said angrily.

"No o, officer no be wetin I mean. I no even see you."

"So I don turn invisible?"

Ejike just kept mute, not wanting to arouse more offense.

"You no wan talk again? Oya gi me one white" the officer broke the silence.

"Officer I no get white, na h I hold" ejike said hoping the officer wouldn't have change.

"Bring am make I see"

Ejike brought out the new hundred naira note and showed it to the officer. The officer looked puzzled at first, then he seemed to be contemplating, finally he told ejike to go. Ejika seemed surprised at first, then he thought that maybe the officer didn't have change.

Now, he was about shifting the gear when he noticed a human figure on his bonnet, at first he thought he hit someone, then he looked carefully and recognized the lasma officer from earlier.

"Oga bring the hundred naira I get change, I been think say na one thousand." The lasma officer was saying.

At that moment, ejike wished he had been driving for hours and that their had been no water in the water chamber, this lasman would be toast by now.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2015
My Monday evening laughter. The atmosphere was cooled as I walked on the road. I am wearing a white short sleeve shirt and one okrika short. I crossed the road, bought the recharge card I came to buy that was when it happened.

The shop was located closed to a T-junction. A lastma officer was performing his duty at the middle of the said junction. Just when I was about to cross. I saw a black Golf car ordered to park and the officer standing in front.

'ma gai, gimme something' the officer said.

'see I no get change' The driver said. He was wearing a white shirt and I couldn't see his pant from the transparent side window.He waved a hundred naira note.

The officer touched the pocket of his uniform. A dark blue uniform that takes a slight resemblance with that of a police uniform. Maybe to confirm the weight of the currency in them.

'I don late for work' the driver continued. He made his car swerve to the right and try to drive away.
But lastma officer was going to take none of it.

He jumped on the car Bonnet. 'oyah I don get change'
His white beret facing the driver from the front glass.His legs dangling in the air from the cars body. That was so comical to watch.

'you wan die because of fifiti neira' I heard the hausa man standing some distance away from me saying. He was holding his brown Buba: a yoruba long dress with one hand.
I was laughing watching the officer. Forgetting what I want to use the card for, for few minutes.
When people began to disperse I remember I had to recharge my phone, buy data, and post on nairaland writer's checkmate.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 09, 2015
The rating is to help everyone know how to analyse stories and it gives one ability to look at his own story and see what is wrong and right with your stories since you've been doing it to others.

@theorbiter.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
susrite:

Seconded by me
third support
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2015
Divepen:
The rating is to help everyone know how to analyse stories and it gives one ability to look at his own story and see what is wrong and right with your stories since you've been doing it to others.

@theorbiter.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 09, 2015
======GROUP II======

. He was behind the wheels of a red toyota corolla car plying a one-way expressway with a white truck trailing after him at a moderate speed and slowed down as he saw a funny sight before him; a lastma official cladded in the customary dark blue and white plastic beret was lying on the bonnet of a black mini peugot with his hands clamped to each side of it. Also, he noticed two men crossing the road; one was dressed in a white shirt with a short knicker giving him the semblance of an aboki and the other, a orange colored dansiki with black trousers making him look like an orange hawker. The men were even strolling accross due to the situation, the orange dansiki cladded one pocketting one of his hands.
. Suddenly, the lastma officer drew his attention back through his voice as he shouted breathlessly at the expense of his lung, 'Oya bring the 100 naira, I get change'.
. 'Hmm Naija', he sighed and noticed that the men were still strolling proudly across the road.

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2015
'Oya, Bring the hundred naira, I get change!'
Tolu looked at the street and was surprised at what he staring at.
Right in the middle of the road was a black golf car and on this car was lying a policeman. The road was T-Junction and the tail of the street was opposite his shop. He scanned the street and saw a red BMW parked at a corner; two men crossing the street, their mouths open-wide as they saw the scene. The particular scene that had jerked Tolu out of his work. He is a tailor and he was bent on impressing his newest customer and that had made him promise to finish sewing the cloth of a family of six within four days.
The owner of the black golf, who was inside the car , kept on raising the engine. And right on the bonnet of the car was the policeman, whose hand was clasped around the opener of the bonner, which he used to hang there.
When, Tolu saw this, he smiled and returned to work.
' Nigeria police', he muttered, shaking his head.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2015
theorbiters:
So very much Seconded, also, the rater will give reasons as to why he rated that way!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2015
I am so late here embarassed.Wish I wasn't so busy today.

Wish my group members all the best.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 6:42pm On Feb 09, 2015
The shade provided by the mango tree was a welcome respite from the sun which mercilessly belabored our backs while we stood at our duty post, directing traffic and trying to keep the road safe for the civilians!

I was arranging and counting the days proceeds with Sergent Dakpo when i remembered my encounter with one of the many ungrateful road users and a smile appeared at the coners of my mouth.

''why are you smiling sir? Is todays amount tickling your funny bone?'' asked sergent Dakpo

''When you went to get the moi moi for lunch, i encountered a young man, probably on his way back to his corner office after lunch at a fancy place, driving a black golf, i flagged him down and we exchanged greetings.

''Anything for the boys this hot afternoon?'' i asked

''Officer, i go see un wen i pass for evening'' he replied

''abeg oga do something now, dis sun no dey wait'' I countered

restarting the vehicle he replied
''i no get change officer, i go see.........

'' how much you cary'' i asked placing myself on the bonnet of the vehicle, my action drawing the attention of a few passers-by.

'' I get hundred Nai.....

''Bring am, i get change!

A loud laughter greeted my story and sergent Dakpo hollered

''Ungrateful Bastards!!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 6:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
kizzykeziah:
I am so late here embarassed.Wish I wasn't so busy today.

Wish my group members all the best.

What is the deadline?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 09, 2015
Before you rate ...Read the instructions again

Describe what you see in the picture to the extent
that a reader who have not seen that picture before can
vividly imagine it...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Italian's Baby Mother / Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.