Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

Writers' Checkmate - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers' Checkmate (20655 Views)

Main Story Thread For Checkmate Competition- Group 2! / Checkmate Competition- Group 2 Collaboration Thread / Checkmate Competition- Group 1 Collaboration Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 12, 2015
whitemosquito:
@thronekid, be healed in Jesus name.
Thanks Ma'am!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 1:18pm On Feb 12, 2015
Get well soon thronekid.
All iz well.
Any work 4 2day?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 12, 2015
Okay, for the benefit of all, we will be making the deadline 8:30pm, the third day.
Tags.
divepen
Theorbiter
Slap1
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Susrite
Akposb
Evangelio
Toluene1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 12, 2015
I'm sorry for not being around, I had low ba3
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
You mean when the work is posted. We will submit in the next 48 hours. @Divepen
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 12, 2015
Divepen:
Okay, for the benefit of all, we will be making the deadline 8:30pm, the third day.
Tags.
divepen
Theorbiter
Slap1
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Susrite
Akposb
Evangelio
Toluene1
Hi bro, can I please know the topic ASAP?

Thanks bro @ Evangelio
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 5:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
Divepen:
I'm sorry for not being around, I had low ba3
can u pls drop d topic here
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
SCORELINE

Group 1:
81+ Kusibe77's 7+ Evangelio's 5+ Cybershow's rating and explanation 4= 81+7+5+4=97

Group 2:

[size=16]Next Work[/size]

Build a story around this statement...

' She ran in the dark, panting heavily.

Deadline: 8:30pm on Friday.
What we are looking for: Story that can make anybody sit on the edge of their chair.

Tags.
divepen
Theorbiter
Slap1
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Susrite
Akposb
Evangelio
Toluene1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 12, 2015
thronekid:

Hi bro, can I please know the topic ASAP?

Thanks bro @ Evangelio
welcome back bro.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 12, 2015
Thanks bro Divepen.
Now, Group 2, start typing,; Lets not be extravagant in the Use of our precious time, for we have very little at our disposal o!
TAGS:
chinweblinkz
kizzykeziah
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Akposb
Evangelio
TOLUENE1 ; and others!

Good thing u extended the Dealine bro
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 12, 2015
thronekid:
Hi guys, I'm sorry for everything but know I never abandonned my group, Never, I'd never do that. Its just that I've been hospitalized since Monday, just went through an operation, hope u'l bear with me?

Group 2, My hands dey fall o, even legs!
Tags:
chinweblinkz
kizzykeziah
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Akposb
Evangelio
TOLUENE1 ; and others!

I'l try if I can keep up today! Need your prayers oh!

Get well soon.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
Many thanks to Alan Heathcock for making this letter available to InsideCreativeWriting.com listeners! Dear peeps, Yesterday I wrote the last sentence of the last story for a book I began—if I began this book the moment I decided I wanted to be a writer--some twenty years ago. I sincerely believe that anyone, with education and effort and patience, can successfully write a book. I did. The process of finishing this book has been intense, more so than I’d imagined, but out of the intensity I’ve seen my way into a very clear understanding of my own personal tenets on writing. Here’s a few of them: 1. Make a unique character, with a highly specific flaw that puts into question their ability to clearly interpret the world. 2. Do horrible things to your character, but never steal away their humanity. 3. Never make your character ignorant or crazy. 4. Enable your character to change, despite their flaw, and through trial, to understand a profound truth of the world. Figure out the profound truths of the world. 5. FEEL your character’s struggle. Make yourself weep and angry and tired. Make yourself swoon. Find out what it means to be someone who is not you. 6. Empathy is of the highest importance. If a reader does not FEEL, then it is not drama but journalism, and journalism that is also fiction has little value. 7. FEELING is communicated through the senses. Communicate through images, sounds, scents, and textures, not through words. You will primarily communicate through images. 8. Put your character in a situation that is highly dramatic and unique, leaving your character naked to their flaws. 9. Spend a lot of time planning the plot. Create plots that are so unique and off-formula that nobody believes you’ve spent any time at all thinking about plot. 10. Let your character want something, but don’t give it to them easily. Give them what they’ve earned. Make them work the entire story to earn it, or not. 11. Every scene you create must feel strange and unfamiliar. Strange and unfamiliar builds mystery, and feels dangerous, and mystery and danger feeds curiosity. 12. Invent settings that are interesting and peculiar, or find something interesting and peculiar in settings that are banal. All settings are metaphoric reflections of your character’s interior. 13. Never be obvious. Never be coy. Make a reader have to work a little to understand what they’re reading, but eventually pay out their effort in empathy and clarity. 14. Reveal something in your endings, creating a convergence of plot and story. Write the ending in a way it doesn’t feel tidy. Be French with your endings. 15. Don’t under-write. Supply everything a reader needs to see and feel and think. Control the reader at all times. 16. Don’t over-write. Don’t make a reader read a single word more than they need. If you make a reader read a single word more than they need then you’ve given them permission to skim. 17. Always find the exact right nouns and verbs. Verisimilitude is largely determined by the accuracy of nouns and verbs. 18. Write with a prose style that seems organic and free though it is completely planned and controlled. 19. Don’t worry about length. A story will be as long as it needs to be, and not a word longer, or shorter. The story dictates its length. 20. No short cuts. Think of the most demanding ways to accomplish what you want and do those things. It will save you time in the end. 21. Never intentionally offend anyone. But don’t worry if people are offended by your work. 22. Make your titles simple and a little odd. Make a reader have to read your story to fully understand the title, and make a title that helps a reader fully understand the story. 23. Choose projects that make you feel something intensely. Be obsessed. 24. You must give yourself up to the story. Eliminate yourself. It’s not about you. 25. Don’t work around other people. Other people will make you self-conscious. Find some place you can be alone. Be alone. 26. Do not look beyond yourself for validation. 27. Be brave enough to take yourself seriously. Once you decide to take yourself seriously you will stop imitating others and will become original. Sincerely, Alan Heathcock

Tags.
divepen
Theorbiter
Slap1
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Susrite
Akposb
Evangelio
Toluene1

1 Like

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 9:45pm On Feb 12, 2015
This is very insightful.
Am going to save this page.
Thanks for sharing with us
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 10:11pm On Feb 12, 2015
A gr8 insight i mst tak 2 dix so has 2 b perfect...divepen tenx
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 7:09am On Feb 13, 2015
Divepen thanks for those.
Whitemosquito since you are here and not participating, could you help and be observing and pointing out our flaws; i.e if time permits.

Mornq everyone and have a blessed day
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 7:49am On Feb 13, 2015
G'morning every1
Divepen Big Thanx.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 3:04pm On Feb 13, 2015
Thanks Divepen for sharing this.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2015
Tayo alighted from the commercial bus she had boarded and hissed. She had been in frustration throughout her ride from her office in the bus. The conductor had been so rude that she had wanted to give him a slap on his face. She hissed again and muttered "idiot."

She clutched her hand bag to her side and kept walking down the road. She would have to wave down a motorcycle that would take her to her street. She saw one and waved him down.
"Bike, Rainbow street. How much?"

The bike man seemed to be assessing her. He then cleared his throat and replied;
"150 naira."

Tayo move backward in shock.
"Oga, how come na? Na 50 naira I dey carry am oo."

"Madam, shey you no know say petrol don cost? O ya, bring 100 naira." The bike man said.

"Na 70 naira I go pay." Tayo said and climbed the motorcycle without waiting for the bike man's reply.
The ride from the bus stop to her house was a short one. She alighted from the motorcycle and paid the bike man, who went on his way almost immediately.

She walked towards her house and opened the gate. She went inside the compound and walked leisurely to the front of her door. The building she lived in had four flats, and hers was the first. She seldomly spoke with her neighbours that occupied the other flats and only saw them once in a while. It was a 'mind your own business' kind of house.

She unlocked her door, went inside and bolted it. It was dark. She made for the switch and turned it on, the light didn't come on. She hissed and cursed PHCN. Those people could take the fun out of a person's life.

She dropped her bag on one of the chairs in the sitting room and made her way to the kitchen to get candles and matches, when she heard footsteps. She stopped abruptly, trying to figure out if the footsteps were real or if they were just figments of her imagination. When she did not hear the footsteps again, she concluded that she had just imagined them.

She got to the kitchen and used her phone's touch to search for the candle and matches. She spotted a matchbox on the sink and was about to pick it up when she heard the footsteps again; louder this time. All her guards were let down. She waited, and almost immediately, the footsteps came again, like someone was right behind her.

Her head screamed 'run'. She decided to obey and started to put on the torch on her phone which had gone off before. She was still fiddling with her phone when she heard a loud crack, right there in the kitchen. Her phone dropped, and she ran in the dark, panting heavily. She got the door and tried to unbolt it, but the key was not there. Her heart started racing. What would she do? She prayed silently and stood by the door.

Suddenly, she saw a tall figure. Her eyes had adapted to the dark now, so, she could make out the features. He was a man and a gun was peeping out of his breast pocket. She stood there, she could not move. All she could do was hope and pray that someone would knock on her door; but she knew deep down that there was a slim chance that it would happen. The figure was walking towards her now. She stayed there and continued hoping, praying, believing...

He grabbed her hair. She screamed, and he covered her mouth with his palm.
"No one is going to hear you, honey. And your neighbours don't even care about you." Tayo heard him say.

She swallowed hard. She didn't know what she could have done to deserve this. She tried to recall anyone she had insulted or done something really bad to, but nothing came to mind.

He removed his palm from her mouth and she seized the opportunity to utter the only word her head was echoing.
"Please."

She heard him clear his throat.
"No need to beg, sweety. My decision is made, and today is going to be your last day on earth."

He pulled her by her hair into the bedroom. He made her sit on the bed and sat beside her. Tayo decided to try her luck again. Maybe he would listen to her this time. Maybe all the prayers she had prayed from childhood would work for her now. Maybe her mother was somewhere praying and God was listening. Maybe if she begged him once more, he would leave her and just walk out of the apartment.
"Please." She muttered.

"Shut up!" He thundered." If you keep begging, I'll have to kill you now, and I don't want to, because I want you say your last prayers."

Tayo froze. Her last prayers? If someone had told her that she would say her last prayers today, she would have gotten the person arrested. Hot tears trickled down her face.

"I believe you're not deaf, sweetheart. Your last prayers, say them now!" He screamed.

Tears kept trickling down Tayo's cheeks as she began to recite Psalm 23, fidgetting.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures, He leadeth......"

All of a sudden, she felt something very heavy in her chest. She looked up and saw a gun pointed at her. She must have been shot! She opened her mouth to talk, but nothing came out. She felt herself slipping, until she lay flat on her blood stained bed. She closed her eyes and opened them again to take a final look at the man, but he seemed to have gone.
She hoped her last prayers would work for her. She hoped she would go to heaven. She closed her eyes and took her final breath.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 13, 2015
Group 2![b]
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 4:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sit - crawl - stand - wallk
I remember writing those words down before going over to doctor Teller's office, she waved me to a sit and i began the story..............

Ijeoma traveled from her home in Abame to Onitsha to see Mike a guy she met online -Facebook- they've been chatting for two months now and she felt it was time to visit him, he has been really sweet to her, always asking her if she needs money or anything, Offers which she always politely turned down.

Mike was as sweet as ever on that fateful Friday evening, picking her up from the garage, he took her to an eatry close by, where they had lunch before taking her to his apartment, a three bedroom flat which looked nice but the furnishing looked too spartan for a guy in the real estate business.

A picture on the living room wall piqued her interest, It was a picture of himself and 2 other guys with their hands draped across each others shoulder which she remember seeing on his Facebook wall tagged ''The Rompe Squad'', when she asked what that meant, he gave an evasive reply, calling it a guy thing.
What does that mean? She wondered once again.....

''Here Babe, Desert! Mike announced
It was fruit salad, she remembered telling him how much she loved fruit salad

''You remembered'' she said
''how can i forget he replied shrugging

Few minutes and a half plate of the salad later, she began to feel dizzy, through the haze she thought she saw two men enter the room, with the third - Mike? - sweeping a hand over her face, her last thought before she passed out was of the picture hanging from the wall.........

She woke up on a large bed, aware of the pain on her hands, which were tied to the bed posts, a piece of clothe tied over her mouth, she had no time to think for her eyes getting used to the darkness could make out three pair of eyes staring at her from the foot of the bed and she became aware of another pain, a pain coming from her nether region and fearfully she looked towards her groin and deprived of the ability to scream the dam broke and the river of tears flowed endlessly and she heard the people staring at her holler ''The Rompe Squad''
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2015
She lay there overcome by tiredness and pain, sleep a million miles away and promised herself for the hundredth time to kill them a hundred times over if she ever gets out of this alive.

They always leave after having their fun with her and come back to molest her once again before day break. The third night of her unlucky adventure they left her untied thinking she can't make it out of the bed talk less of makin it to the front door
She saw this as an opportunity which a hitherto far away God had thrown her way and seized it with both hands praying to thesame God to see her through.
She rolled off the bed and crawled to the door, opened it a pinch and peeped, no one in sight, the whole house made a tomb look noisy, she crawled to the front door, raising herself on her knees to open it, it took her forever to get to the gate, all the while praying that they wouldn't come back, a nagging question at the back of her mind ''will it be open?''
It Was
She wanted to shout, but bereft of the strength and needing the little she had for the task ahead she said a silent thanx to God

Moment of truth, she held the gate and raised herself from the floor
Pain, oh God pain.
It felt like the Devil, with a thousand of his associates were pricking her flesh with a thousand needles.

She stood, legs spread and gathered her Strength, digging deep for it
then she ran into the dark, panting heavily from the exertion, pain and fear.

I found Her the next morning, as i took my run, passed out by the side of the road, I took her to the hospital, Doctor Ibe is taking care of her.
I will find them doctor, and when i do, they will be the ones torn! But first things firs doc, Can you help my friend?

''Of course Jim, we will help her'' doctor Teller our resident shrink replied.

That was two years ago, now here they are, the hunter hunted, cuffs on their hands, i watched the triumph on Ije's face as she cuffed them.

''Lock them up with those homosexuals we arrested last week, tell the guards to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to whatever happens there, let them have a taste of their own medicine'' i said to the sergent

I took Ije's Hand and we walked away -My Chulita , her back to the house of evil, and the demons confined to where they belong.
IN HER PAST
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
.======GROUP II======.

. She ran in the dark panting heavily through the school Corridor, and felt for the Eraser room's door which they had saw ealier with her hands.
. Groping in the dark, Pushing the door aside and stepping in, She obliviously hit her right bleeding toe-thumb against the hard object that seemed hard as a Rock prompting her into a pain weilding screechy scream but quickly stopped when She re-realized the situation she was in and for the first time, She looked around and noticed that this Room was totally dark, pitch dark and darker than the other rooms. Well, it was built to be that way considering it's location in the School.
. Suddenly, She heard a stampling she judged to be Her Foe's on the Marble tiled Floor. Quickly and acting impulsively, She looked around intensely and searched for a suitable corner to hide in, her heart almost freezing.
. The situation She found herself in was one She would have Swore 3 hours ago that it never existed but right now, it was happening before her very Eyes and irrespective of whatever She thinks, It couldn't be denied. Atleast, not after it had killed Cherie, Kyle and Lori.
. Her mind transversed back to 4 hours ago when everything Started:
'C'mon, lets go,' She remembered herself calling out to her crib, 'We won't get caught'.
. She was the indefinite leader of her group and had brought this upon them, They had hearkened her call and had followed her to Southendale, the Town that got destroyed a decade ago and till date, Everyone had always avoided it like a plague citing reason like Ghosts for their Fearful heart, she had always thought.
. She was just 17, barely legal but she had a 'Dare anything' spirit within her that always incited her negatively.
. They had gotten to the Town almost unscathed than the Accident they experienced while coming and had taken their time to visit all places of interest, even taking photo shots with their mini Camera. The trouble started when they got to the Town's school and Lori accidentally hit a button that opened a computer controlled door in the School Laboratory and unleashed a weird zombie like creature on them and as if aided by Nature, the Sun withdrew it's light and pitch Darkness took over.
. Cherie was the first to go, she had stood her ground and refused to run for Survival, and before their very eyes, the Zombie like creature segmented her head from her body, her long blondish hair hanging downwards over her Shoulder. Ow, such a pretty Girl she was!
. This act got them all in a running frenzy but the Creature, it seemed was faster than it seemed at first sight. Kyle was next, The Creature had fed on him irritatingly without remorse, his grey shorts totally bloodied with his intestines all dangling around. She and Lori had stuck together in a bid to survive and they were doing well until luck ran out on her, Lori had hitten her thumb against a stone and had cried out attracting the Zombie like thing, the next thing was swirling of intestines and organs, She got utterly mutilated.

. She felt a sharp prick and turned around, and She wasted no time in Making out the Monster behind her, her Abnormal Breathing had attracted it. Her eyes pupils had been dilated and had gotten accustomed to the Dark, hence, her fast detection of the Monster.
. 'Ahh ahhh,' She screamed loudly and frightenedly at her lungs expense, her high pitched voice echoing through the Corridor in a swift manner.
. She felt the grapple of the Monster around her Neck and She stiffened, 'Mom and Dad, I love you', She spoke out and conceeded, the type that slows down your working organs and tears your Veins within seconds. Yeah, she conceeded to Death and She shut her Eyes tightly awaiting Death's painful prick but it never came, Salvation appeared in stead of Death! The Lights came on!

Thanks for the tips Divepen!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 7:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
Before we meet the right people, we have to meet a lot of wrong one's. We expect that things turn out to be right with who so ever we choose as a partner. As a partaker in these, we tend to sacrifices a lot to make this possible regardless of what the other spouse make of us, to consider ourselves lover, we ought to have things in common, share our trust and most important our likeness.

When one of the counter-part is saddled with all these: the other party plays a fool of the party, neglects and betray the trust the other has for him, the ends are always disastrous. Such was the case in which my friend found herself.

Sandra, in her early twenties, chubby, a jewel to behold. Had the height of an average lady, believed in her abilities, knowledgeable, always wore a kind of smile that befits her, easy going type with a heart as stone. Liked all and was loved by all, never wanted to get hurt, avoided hurting experiences reasons being that the outcome were always disastrous. It had been of her to always smile, it made her look tipsy.

She had arrived home late on this day, a day i never expected. It arrived so fast that everything happened as fast as a ray of light. She came back: breathing heavy and panting hard. With a pale face and wore that guilt. I have never seen her with such rage, a troubled moment for me. She had arrived with a biker, she raced inside without paying him. He came ranting behind her like all his life depended on the pay. I had settled him and rushed back to room to know what had gone wrong as i met her laying reckless on the floor.

It was an apartment we shared since we came in contact. It was on a day that we met, i had liked her composure, her willingness to help. We came to to know it other by chance but made the best out of the opportunity. I had never regretted our coming together neither did she, even with the quarrels and fight: the bond grew more and more.

It was on a rainy day, that day i would never forget. Stranded at a new state, late evening. I knew no one in zamfara state, i had come from Kano were my parents reside. I knew no one there, i had to find my way to get a student to accommodate me for the night, i hadn't make it to get fully registered for the semester: my first year. She had approached me and asked about me, she was a sent angel. Offered me help and told me her problems thereafter. I accepted her as a family. I took it upon me to make sure she made out the best out of her state: boredom and loneliness were gone with my stay.

I was older yet i never intimidated her, she was young, never did she abuse my simpleness. It was such a wonderful union, if only i was a man i would have taken her to the altar and our lives would have been perfect.

Life never give us all we hope, all we long for. Such was what we faced. I had all i asked for, all i longed for but never got all i hoped for.

I had prayed that she would get a happy life without me, a life with that partner: one who would give her all i couldn't give. Those happiness, those touch that could pull sensation down the brain. Those wonderful moments she always dream of.

Truth, i always wanted a soul mate, a lover. One that would not abuse her innocence, her priority. I wanted a happy life for her.

She never gave in to immoralities, i loved her for that. She was a christian, she had a heart: one that needed to be loved and cared for, above all trusted. Most of her past relationships ended on a sour note due to things she couldn't give in to. She was no slut neither was she a prostitute. She was the sister i longed for. I was the mother she prayed to have, the guidian she asked for, but i don't know if i could protect her in this situation.

Had i not come into her life at those crucial stage, she would have gone viral. A very lonely girl with parents who cared more about their career. Left in the care of a worldly niece at home, bored to the fullest. If she had given in to the ways of life, she would have been a brat: but only God knows how he does things. She was all i could have ever ask from God.

Offering assistance to her always, she was always willing to learn. Life had been going until she found pain in disguise of love. Those things should longed for, came on a day she was willing to give in. The said happiness: i never knew was bound to destroy her. His strategies maped out, his games well played like a Barcelona football match. Coming into our life with his saintly being, and taking over our beings like fear. You know when you get that feeling, the way it takes over you like a lost fortune.

Like air she couldn't spend a minute without him, i loved seeing them both together. He played his card well and i gate in to his tricks. He deceived me with those words, those same words i detest. I had given him the green light like the traffic. Forgot about my principles of keeping tabs on him, even my principles.

Life had played its card well and he enjoyed his game. He had won he thought, never about the implication, the gravity of hate he would unleash on himself.

i never asked her what she saw, in her word layed all i needed to know. She kept on calling him monster, i clearly decoded those words. I could feel in her pains in thin air, smelt the accomplishment in her breadth, saw the fears in her eyes.

"i killed him" she finally spoke up.

The End
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 13, 2015
,She ran with all her might in the dark night, panting heavily.
She did not know where she was going but she just knew she had to escape before her abductors catch up with her.
Victoria was kidnapped alongside some of her friends by the Boko haram sect of Nigeria, and had lost hope of ever escaping until one of their abductors decided to sleep with under duress. On that day, she pleaded and begged for firstly her life, then her virginity.
' Please', she moaned as her hand flew from one part of the ground to another as she felt around for any elephant grass, so that she can use it to strengthen herself as he began to tear her clothes.
' Please... Please...' She pleaded. Then, her hand hit a stone, a big stone. Her heart lurched in joy. And without giving it a second thought, she took the stone and used it to hit his head.
' Ah!!!' The man shouted and went silent almost immediately.
' Oh my God', she whispered, her heart beating fast against her chest, ' I've killed him...'
She moved back, and turned around, seeing that there was no guard around she fled the scene and ran out of the camp.
' Stop... You....' the hoarse voice of one her abductors screamed. She ran onward, not knowing where she was going, not looking back to see who this new person was.
The man blew a whistle, disturbing the gravy silence of the night.
Victoria ran into the bush, and was temporarily deaf to the chirping of the insects neither was she feeling the tears the grasses were making on her body nor was she feeling any pain from the injury stumps of grasses were causing her leg to have.
She heard the step of the men and kept on running and
'Yeh', she shouted as she slipped, falling into a very deep ditch, then she fainted.
She woke up three days later in her abductors' camp, tied to a tree, and when she looked around she saw a pile of sticks, and understood they were for her.
Anyone who fails in escaping from the camp, after the person's trial, will be flogged till the person almost give up the ghost.,
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 8:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
Group 1.
Kusibe77

Ding! Dong! Gban!
She heard the sound of the bell. It echo reached her in the middle of nowhere she was. She walked along the lonely path and darkness trailed behind her. Sweat was all over her like Simon peter in the ring. She hasten her steps and mopped her face with the back of her hands.

She looked back to check if she was safe. She was suppose to be an heroine not a coward. She should be able to fight, capture, withstand whatever was trailing her in the darkness.

She heard more weird sounds,insect perching, birds cackling. Birds were known to sing but in this darkness they were making scary sounds. The walking was not enough she began to jog.

She stopped abruptly ready to face whatever was trailing her.
Then It came, it was preceded by wind which was accompanied with dust and pebbles.They almost rendered her blind. She can't withstand this anymore. She usually thought it will be fun to be an heroine, the one's she had watched in movies. Maybe that was movie and this is reality.

It came round her, a bird, bigger than an aeroplane.It was coming for her at a fast speed. She wished the ground cold open and bury her.Her leg became heavy and stiff. She shut her eyes and trembled like an epileptic patient. It was still coming for her no doubt and the way it seems it will take her away.

She raised her hands to her head as if it will prevent it for coming. She bend a little maybe it will not reach her again. Eventually it came, but before it descended its claw on her. She let out an eardeafening scream.

She sprang up, sat up on her bed, it was a dream. Her 8 year old brother had predicted she will have nightmares when she watch scary movie yesterday. She was breathing fast, her heartbeat racing. She can't stay here alone where it was pitched darkness. she made for the door but collided to the wall and landed on her butt.
Her hands fell on something,her phone she picked and flash the light round the room.She felt movement in the room,opposite wherever she flashed the light.

The place isn't safe. she opened the door and ran out and again it was pitch darkness. There is only one person who could save her.

'Daddy!!!'she screamed. She had bow down as her heart almost come down from her chest. She used her hands to blocked her ears from the scream.

'My baby! His father answered. 'Am outside, Light will be on in a minute'
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 9:18pm On Feb 13, 2015
Helen swallowed hard, her throat was already terribly dry but she couldn't take a rest. Not just yet. She had to keep running if she didn't want it all to end right there. Looking back, she knew she must have run seven miles in the dark woods.

She felt her hair already stuck to her face as it whipped around in the cold night breeze. She was panting now and gaped for short quick breaths as she could feel her heart race.

She couldn't see very clearly but Tomi's voice rang in her head, "You have to keep running. You shouldn't stop ever or you would be next!!! " He had told her as the other members of his group pushed her friend over. Bukky was dead. Rapped to death by those animals. Tears rose to her eyelids as she remembered the last expression she had seen on Bukky's face. She was scared. They never bargained for that. They only wanted enough calm around to study and that was the only reason they had ventured into the woods behind their hostel. They didn't want to get raped by a group of cultists in ritual proceedings where they apparently had to rape any girl they came across. To death.

Helen stifled her cries and choked. She miscalculated her steps and fell over onto the dry leaves under some huge tree. The leaves gave a rustling sound but that wasn't the only sound she could hear. There was also a rattle. She screamed as a rattlesnake headed towards her raising it's head. She jumped up and tried to run. She couldn't. Her ankle had gotten sprained with that fall.

She looked back and saw the snake moving faster towards her. Oh no! The tears were falling freely now as she knew she was really going to die tonight.

"How far did you think you could get?" She heard a baritone voice behind her.

Helen looked up and saw it was the hugest of those guys, the last one who had been on Bukky. The one that had killed her! He had caught up with her, alongside a slender one, the one that looked youngest of the five.

" We need to hurry up with the initiation. It will be dawn soon," The slender one said, panting as they had also been running after her.

The snake struck now but the huge one was just in to take the bite for her. He screamed and the other guy jumped back to avoid the snake which was headed his way.

Helen heard Tomi's voice as he approached, " I said run!" He cried loudly. Helen looked up at him. He was her boyfriend and now she knew he was also a cult group member. He didn't want to kill her. At least he didn't want her blood to be on his hands.

She turned abruptly and tried running. She winced in pain from her hurt ankle and was about to give up when Tomi whisked her, " We can't stop now, Helen. We just have to keep going till we find a way." He told her and maneuvered the woods keeping the other duo behind. The slender one cursing as he fled for the rattlesnake leaving the huge other there. Feeling death.

1 Like

Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 9:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
"God please, help me", she muttered as she ran in the dark, panting heavily.
She had just come in from work and the only thing on her mind was to have a quick shower and then sleep till the next day.
As she made her way to her bathroom, the light went off. "Ha, NEPA".
She looked out of her window and she noticed it was only her house that had no light. "That's weird", she soliloquised. She had decided to take her shower before finding out what the problem was.
She made for her bathroom but stopped in her tracks as she heard a baby's cry. Where was that coming from? She lived alone and had no baby in the house but the baby's cry became louder. It seemed to be coming from the room on the left side of the bathroom, she thought to herself and she wandered in the dark towards the door. She placed her hand on the door knob but realised she was stepping in a pool of something liquid. Maybe water, she thought, but where was it leaking from. Where is light when she needed it? The baby's cry intensified and she felt compelled to open the door, so, she sucked in a deep breath and pressed the door knob downwards.
'CRASHHHHH'
The sound of plates being broken sent a shiver down her spine. Was someone in the house with her or had someone broken in? That sound seem to be coming from the kitchen. The baby's cry had abruptly ceased. So she made her way to the kitchen.
"That's weird", she said aloud as she saw a candle stick lited in her sitting room. She couldn't remember putting on a candle. She headed for the kitchen. Thick sweat were beginning to run down her half unclad spine as she walked carefully into the kitchen.
What's happening her, she thought as she saw her gas cooker on. She looked around, everything seem to be in place then why was she being paranoid now. As she made to leave the kitchen, she saw a shadow move across the wall quickly and hide behind the darkness. In a moment of fear, she missed a step and fell backward, allowing other plates come crashing down to the floor.
"Jeez, Jane, get hold of yourself", she was speaking out loud in bid to quell her fears. "You are not going crazy."
She got to her feet and made for her sitting room but still harboured the thought of an intruder in her house and soon enough, her fear became just to real.
She heard footsteps behind her but she summoned courage and looked back.
He stood there with a grin on his face as he romanced the sickle in the air.
Time froze. She froze.
He advance menacingly and grabbed her by the neck and stared into her eyes with his big red eyes. This was a demon.
She struggled for breathe as she finally came to her senses and he forcibly threw her across the room. Quickly she got up and ran not minding the pains that ached her unclad body
The beast just looked at her with a smile as its watched her run.
She took the left turn and headed for her bathroom. Her night robe was lying on the floor there. She stepped into a pool of water and slipped only to discover that it was not water, rather it was blood. Where was this coming from? She asked herself but didn't wait to answer that as the beast grabbed her from the floor and threw her towards the left door facing her bathroom.
The baby's cry came aloud again. Everywhere was dark.
She ran in the dark as she panted heavily, "God, if you really exist, please, now is the time to prove it."
She came in face with the door from where the cry was coming from. She had no choice than to enter the room as the fear of being dead filled her head.
Quickly she entered the room and closed the door behind her. She was trapped.
The baby's cry was coming from a hand sewed doll with no eyes, resting on a radio behind it in the empty room. Now, she knew she was going to die.
She rested on the wall by the door as she planned her next action and waited for the beast to come in. She could feel his presence from without and she moan quietly.
Her phone rang.
The door flung open.
She woke up.
Her phone alarm was screaming 5:00am and her neighbour's child was crying.
"Oh God. Thank you Jesus, she gasped as she sunk back into the bed.
She heard a crash in the kitchen.
She froze.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 10:00pm On Feb 13, 2015
Group 1 dnt b anoid i dnt show up..am bust al thru...bt am gona rate my bosses dat rote 2dae
Kusibe77=7
divepen=8
thronekid=7
stuff46=8
theorbiters=5 cux u dnt meet d time factor
Kizzykeziah=5 cux u dnt meet d time factor as wel
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 10:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
low ba3, would rate one's i charge. Divepen dnt sum them up till everyone rate, lets know were we are heading. It seems we are not making impacts o
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
My ratings

Toluene 7 + 1 for being the earliest bird

Thronekid - 6
Stuff46 - 6
Divepen - 7
Kusibe 77- 7
Kizzykeziah - 7(-2 for lateness)
Theorbiters - 6(-2 for lateness)
Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 4:32am On Feb 14, 2015
Cybershow:
Group 1 dnt b anoid i dnt show up..am bust al thru...bt am gona rate my bosses dat rote 2dae
Kusibe77=7
divepen=8
thronekid=7
stuff46=8
Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 4:33am On Feb 14, 2015
Cybershow:
Kusibe77=7
divepen=8
thronekid=7
stuff46=8
My apologies though. I saw this by 9:00pm, only God knws how I was able to write that. Nice one anyway.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? / Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018 / J.k.rowling's Fan? Get Harry Potter And The Cursed Child Here + Other Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.