Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

British Born Naija Interested In Politics - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Born Naija Interested In Politics (3291 Views)

$1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian / British-born Michael Adeboloja Labelled A Nigerian: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by SOJ(m): 8:18am On Jan 02, 2009
@ poster

ONe thing u shuld know is u r not alone in ur quest to 'salvage' Nigeria. There are many Nigerians and 'foreigners' who have the same ambition:both living in Naija and in the diaspora. This means that u have a kin to identify with.Personally i dont think u av a problem wit affecting change in naija. What u need to do is to identify the specific area u are interested in influencing;witout being specific it wuld be hard to be focused. And witout focus, it would be difficult to be persistently determined. Cos determination is key if u r interested in changing things here.
Also, u need to identify wit people of like minds here in naija; spend some time visiting naija by making good use of ur vacation times and so on. I advice u also start paid employment in the UK;a structured work environment wit distill in u values and ethics that u will need along the way.It will also give u necessary contacts and networks u can leverage on while pursuing ur 'political' goals.

On thing u must know is u dont av to be in politics to effect change in specific areas in naija. For example, u can own a business corporation that can create jobs for thousands or create value that people need and cannot do witout.
U can also run a non-profitable venture where u will also create jobs for pple and also add value to many lives witout collecting a kobo from them. The advantage of this is that u can get support from companies and international organisations that can help in either funding or support.

Lastly, ur accent is absolutely no barrier. No be only u get accent for naija (me sef dey form am and its not so bad, lol). Checkout Ndidi Nwuneli (hope i didnt massacre her name o!) of LEAP Africa.Her story will inspire u am sure;the best part is: she get 'unique' accent like urs grin

http://www.smeresources.org/success_stories_view.php?id=1&name=%20Ndidi%20Okonkwo%20Nwuneli%3Cbr/%3E%20CEO,%20Leap%20Africa
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by otukpo(f): 8:23am On Jan 02, 2009
domisakin
u hav a good dream and i must tell u many young nigerians living in nigeria dream same and desire same. Not really taking part in active politics but doing it in our different areas of life.
But the challenges u will encounter trying to do that as an individual will get u frustrated even b4 making an impact in your immediate society.
First the problem of all these old time politicians who have remained and refused to quit politics for the younger ones to come on board. So for a change to begin to take place in Nigeria, these old time politicians wld have to give way. all those that have held one political post or the other, must leave the scene for the new breed. This will be ur major challenge.
Secondly, u need to come down to naija and stay to atleast understand the society and the problems not relying on what u read on net or what people tell u.
i hope u ar sincere with ur dream, and not when u get there, u'll start thinking of looting like others  
i pray God will help u and bring more pple like u.
Happy new year
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by topkin(m): 9:26am On Jan 02, 2009
@ poster

I must confess you have a laudable ambition and I do hope & pray that in the future you will be able to achieve or at the least influence some other(s) to live your dream.

I do not want to sound pessimistic or deterring BUT my dearest brother, sincerely the problems of Nigeria is so complex, so complicated, so labyrinthian, so sophisticated, so twisted that even the wisest of the wise, the most valiant of heroes, the most courageous, the most brilliant, the most intelligent of men have not only nursed such ambition, they have demonstrated it, put in glaring actions BUT sadly only to be silenced, crushed & humiliated by the so-called BIG WIGS of the my most dear nation.

It is so painful that these magnitude of corruption goes on and absolutely nothing is done. Mind you, people are ever ready to make a positive change but (sadly, there is always a BUT) their agitations, their prayers, their dreams have ALWAYS been pulverized.

My dear brother, I am certain WE will bet there, maybe not in my time, maybe not in your time BUT certainly, WE WILL GET THERE. It's so sad, so disheartening that this country is so blessed but those at the helm of affairs make us live in penury. It is very sad my bother. It moves me to the point of tears a times.

I sincerely hope your dreams do come true, at least for posterity sake. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Press forward, forge ahead and someday, somehow, like what Martin Luther King Jnr. saw, that dream of a great Nigeria, will one day be achieved. God bless you.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Echidime(m): 10:01am On Jan 02, 2009
@POSTER: You will be more uselful if you contest in the british politics,you know them well than Naija,and beside,we true Nigerians don't need a second colonial master to rule us. So shot your Trap,We have millions of True Nigerians here who can give us change,take your Change to the British Government and help them stop GUN FIRE and youths stamping people with knifes.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 02, 2009
Topic should have read "British Born Naija Interest in Public Money"
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by temi777: 11:16am On Jan 02, 2009
Just to encourage you Domisakin. You see people will always tell you your dream will never happen . But study history and see that they really are not talking about your dream but expressing their own inability to dare to have such dreams.
But my own contribution is: why not start NOW? at least even if you fail you would have satisfied your self.
lets say you start from the grassroot and be a councillor, instaed of an organiser, if you do well then you may progress statewide then nation-wide in that order.
Remember, the same blacks that voted for Obama told him they do not believe he can make it. So son let me say this to you: impossible is nothing. Go ye forth
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by NegroNtns(m): 12:24pm On Jan 02, 2009
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL, BIG LUCK AND BRIGHTER PROSPECTS IN 2009! grin

Domisakin,

Great way to map a future career for yourself. It's a big challenge to implement change in Nigeria and it can be done. It will be done when the mindset of the majority is spirited towards change and their action is aligned towards transformative responsibilities. It's only a handful of the population that think with your perspective for landmark progress. So be prepared for an up and down of feeling as you engage yourself in Nigerian politics.

How do you prepare? If you are not strong the politics will change you and you become part and parcel of what you set out to rehabilitate. In order to remain objective and above the mayhem, the first challenge is within your own individuality. Be commited to a set of principles for self-audit and feedback. If you can do that consistently and make the corrective steps needed to grow and improve then your competence will carry you through. The best analogy is that of a water ski-board; its part of the water but its not of water and it synchronizes with the melody of the water thus allowing the skier to dance on the water. Best of Luck! cheesy
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Jairzinho(m): 1:53pm On Jan 02, 2009
Xavier.:

Topic should have read "British Born Naija Interest in Public Money"

ROTFLMAO !! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

My advice: Go into British politics,make a name for yourself & influence thngs back home in Nigeria. Some kinda Obama-Kenya effect. wink
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2009
Oh Please @Temi777, I have endured for months people pushing obama's example, in america, as reason for same in Nigeria. Can we be honest with ourselves? You and I know the only a novice politian like Obama could get elected in Nigeria is if he rigged the votes using his many connections. We have had so many "OBAMAS" in the past and the most recent, I believe is Bankole who now sits as head of house. What story do we have to tell of us our past "OBAMAS"? Can we please quit with these fantasices--- these dreams, and focus on helping ourselves as we ought to?
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by NegroNtns(m): 2:26pm On Jan 02, 2009
Good one Kobojunkie! If Obama was in Africa he wouldn't be so Great as he is presumed to be. He will end up in same place as the past Obamas we had and failed to uplift.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by creationxt(m): 4:59pm On Jan 02, 2009
@Domisakin
As you can see from all the replies; no Nigerian likes it the way it is now. This means both the optimists and the pessimists reallY need this change you are talking about. The world just needs dreamers that will stick to their dreams, no matter what.
Nevertheless, I recommend you get really prepared for the task. You want to be a leader; leadership means influencing others to willingly follow you. You must demonstrate where you have influenced others to follow you willingly. Your foreign birth is secondary, once you start right people will not even remember it. Change is inevitable in Nigeria. Come to think of it, since I was born it has been one Government after another and things still remain the way it is. No time in history has a country gone the way Nigeria is now without major change.

As has been suggested by the good posters here, get information, lots of it. A lot of us in this country are sick of all the recycling going on in politics and beleive me my brother it will not remain so for eternity. If we keep quiet as we have done in the past, heaven will not come down to Nigeria. We must act and decisively too; the greatest enemy of man is ignorance and fear but time has come.

We need change. The 8 stages of creating major change:

1. Establishing a sense of urgency;

2. Creating the guiding coalition;

3. Developing a vision and strategy;

4. Communicating the change vision (very important in Nigeria);

5. Empowering broad based action;

6. Generating short term wins;

7. Consolidating gains and producing more change ;

8. Anchoring new approaches in the culture.
[Leading Change by John Kotter]

Act fast before others do and take the glory. You will have a lot of supporters once you start something; create a website maybe. We are all hungry for this change.
TIRED OF THE MARY-GO-ROUND IN NAIJA.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by PurestBoy(m): 6:21pm On Jan 02, 2009
@poster,
Simply tell us you want to join yaradulls band and have your share from the public tax payers fund instead of beating about damn bloody bush. You mean you are the messiah? Barawo banza
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by igbonla(m): 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2009
Your post reminded me of one Professor that came from the US to interview for the post of UI VC (true gist, my friend). When asked how he would react/respond if he kidnapped on campus by students, he responded with a question "can it happen"?

Naija politics is crazy, dangerous but can be very interesting; you've got to be inside to be able to change anything. Nothing is impossible but you have to start from the grassroot for the kind of change you want to bring. It is the grassroot people that will move you up but "you go spend plenty wad" because the grassroot people are hungry, very hungry.

Remember me when your kingdom come  cheesy

All the best.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by ubongekpe(m): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2009
a trial will put you right.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Nobody: 4:04am On Jan 03, 2009
I am a Nigerian born, native Nigerian, who believes that the major problems crippling nigeria from becoming a developed country are corruption and mismanagement. If the leaders use the money allocated to them for what is meant to be used for, i don't think there would be any space to take about corruption. The money is there, the problem is only to put it into use. I believe i have the heart of a non-corrupt nigeria and i believe i can make a positive impact if i am elected into a critical position in any of the government rank, this is what i am working on. When the time is right, i am going to lead a corrupt less nigeria with tough laws in hand to battle corruption. I am gradually spreading about my revolution. With my plans for nigeria, nigeria still has a chance of competing with the emerging economies. Most people that know me in this forum might think this is a joke, but it's not. Its the words of a great reformer, and honest Nigerian. My sincerity is always seen around me, and people that know me that testify to this.

Modo's Revolution will take Nigeria like storm. Support the Modo's Revolution.

Modo's Revolution is:
1. Execution of any corrupt gov leader. Most Nigerians are cowards, one of the reason why they don't want to fight for their right.  You can't sit in your house all day expecting miracles to occur, you have perform that miracle by working for it. Putting a law that will result in execution of any corrupt leader in nigeria is the best way to tackle corruption among gov officials. Now, if a high ranking gov in nigeria is about to loot funds, and also has in mind that if he is caught, he's gona be executed. There is a possibility that he's gona abandon the plans.

This is one of many revolutions, the others i will keep for now. But this one is the most critical of all my revolution.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by pixiraver(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2009
Domisakin, i don't see anything wrong with your ambitions but before you can run for any poliitical office i would suggest you reside in Nigeria for atleast 10 years, then you can start from the Local Government level, that should give you the much needed experience and platform, you can start being a councilor then launch your community programmes from there, your local government should be able to support you and believe me Nigerians would support you if they see you really mean to help (I would readily make you a citizen of my local government)

So people i think we should give the guy a chance if we all think of only stealing from our political offices then a foreigner with good intentions should come and get the job done for us simple! I don't care if our president is from China as long he changes the country, besides what have our past presidents done to change the country? Nothing,
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by KnowAll(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
The EFCC boss has said our political leaders have mental problems. If our politicains are even stealling $1 million DOLLARS which I will say is more than enough for any sane person that will be fine. ( Not that I condone stealing 1 kobo just trying to reason with a sane theif grin ). How do you explain the rumours doing the rounds that James Ibori, Peter Odili , have an airline business in Nija, do you know how much a plane cost - in excess of $10 million if these allegation is true then these individuals should held down and sectioned to a mental home for the rest of their lives.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by otokx(m): 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2009
Which efcc boss said that?

@Domisakin

First of all finish your education then identify like minded progressives and create a small team then establish a strong bond the type that existed between OBJ and BORISHADE (i wonder where he is now)

When you are done ask me about the next step.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by gozzilla(m): 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
He wants to change the nation
cannt stay to face his proponents and opponents
A true nigerian politician he really is
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by gerona: 8:10pm On Jan 25, 2010
@ domisakin - I like your drive. I also strongly believe the youths can make a change in the Nigerian political system if only they will remain positive and bravely defend the truth. I am willing to join in this fight .
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by tpiander: 2:05am On Jun 29, 2015
hm

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Massive Real Estate Properties Of The Jonathans In Bayelsa. / IBB Sets To Expose Buhari Over Missing $2.8B Oil Money / Who Killed Ambrose Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.