Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan – Soyinka (424 Views)

60 Reasons Why I Won’t Vote For Jonathan-soyinka / I Have 60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan - Soyinka / Don’t Vote For Jonathan, Soyinka Lists Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan – Soyinka by Godpinkin(m): 10:07pm On Feb 07, 2015
Nobel laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka yesterday gave 60 reasons why he would not advise anyone to vote for President Goodluck Jonathan in next week’s presidential election.

The eminent playwright’s position is another blow to the President’s flagging reelection campaign.

Prof. Soyinka was addressing some youths at the Freedom Park in Lagos during the unveiling of the finalists for the 2015 edition of the Vision of the Child (VOTC) – the children/student segment of the yearly Lagos Black Heritage Festival (LBHF).

There are 60 finalists -  30 for creative writing and 30 for painting.

Soyinka spoke on the theme for the VOTC: “The Road to Sambisa”.

In reference to the April 2014 kidnapping of almost 300 pupils of the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, he said: “It is impossible to think of today’s election without thinking of what happened to your colleagues, your siblings, your peers in the village called Chibok.

“It’s not possible to think of the future of this nation, its sense of responsibility, without that albatross called Chibok coming to the fore of our contemplation. This festival doesn’t involve itself, collectively, in political affairs. I am telling you now as a consultant to this festival, that I have at least 60 reasons for not voting for a continuation of this present government. And those reasons are here, that at least 60 reasons why I will not vote or encourage anyone to vote for the continuation of this present government, simply because your colleagues, numbering over 200, were kidnapped. We sent them on a mission – education, enlightenment – take their examination to rob minds with their peers, and they disappeared. And the government of this nation failed to show leadership. So anybody who says that after that event I would vote or cast my vote or encourage anyone to vote for this regime must be living in Sambisa forest.”

The dramatist went on: “There has been a failure of leadership, our children have been betrayed. They are betrayed because no action or appropriate action was taken to retrieve the children who were stolen from under our noses. It took 10 days before this government even accepted the fact they were missing.   So, after that dereliction of duty; after that failure of leadership; after that betrayal of future; for anyone to think or to put words in my mouth suggesting that I will vote for such a regime, it is a travesty of intelligence.

”Nigeria is in a parlous state. There are more than two candidates; whoever wins, they should understand that it is a burden; it is a mission which is being imposed on that individual.

“They should understand that this is not a European nation, and it is not a nation which has not been enjoying the number of the infrastructural development even in basic thing like agriculture; and that there is a lot of work to do to rescue this nation.

“So, search your conscience, don’t sell your votes, and don’t be intimidated, especially by crude, vulgar and barbaric policemen – commissioner or whatever position – who have been sent on a mission on disrupting the process of elections. Agree absolutely with Oba (of Lagos) Rilwan Akiolu,  that Commissioner of Police or whatever position they hold, had better beware when they tangle with the very very dissatisfied electorate.”..

By The Nation (feb 6,2015)

Re: 60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan – Soyinka by enoqueen: 10:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
he can relax now, no more election.
Re: 60 Reasons Not To Vote Jonathan – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 07, 2015
Hmmm...all I can say to Wole is "SHUT UR F*UCKING TRAP" sad

(1) (Reply)

I Don’t Need Your Support, Jonathan Tells Economist Magazine / Synagogue Paid LASG Over N20m For Building Permit Before It Collapsed / Important Security Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.