Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,432 members, 7,800,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

To Breed Or Buy Piglets - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / To Breed Or Buy Piglets (3067 Views)

Imported Piglets For Sale / How Many Piglets On Average Do You Get From Your Sows? / Piglets, Gilts, Boars, For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Breed Or Buy Piglets by AreaFada2: 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2015
I have two Non-NLer friends currently joining resources to start a pig farm. Both are in full-time employment. No previous piggery experience.

One of them suggests buying piglets, fatten them up and sell off after about six months. That way, a single full-time employee will do, at least for a start. Both will lend a hand after work and on weekends. About 40 to 50 piglets to begin with.

The other prefers breeding piglets so that they can sell off some of them and fatten some up. That way, the business will grow quicker. He thinks they can manage about 10 to 15 sows for a start.

What do gurus in the house think?

Thanks.
Re: To Breed Or Buy Piglets by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2015
@areafada2:

It all depends on your taste and your budget. There are many things involved in breeding pigs. Less stress in fattening. All you need in fattening is routine practices and at the end of the 7th month, you harvest and sell.

Breeding is a different ball game. You don't automatically have your expectations met. I saw a big sow(like 70kg) in a big farm yesterday and the sow gave birth to just one piglet after eating and drinking their food for almost 4 months. Some can have moralities after farrowing, the mother may even die. Pregnant pigs eat a lot and you will need competent hand in administration of drugs so that they won't be adversely affected. Taking care of aggressive dam(mother pig) is not easy. Piglet teeth nipping, iron injection, deforming, antibiotic administration may need alittle more care.

All this are simple things if you are knowledgeable or have a competent attendant. But if not, please have a second thought and choose the former.

All will be well.

Go start your biz!
Re: To Breed Or Buy Piglets by AreaFada2: 11:23pm On Feb 08, 2015
TheUnbeatable:
@areafada2:

It all depends on your taste and your budget. There are many things involved in breeding pigs. Less stress in fattening. All you need in fattening is routine practices and at the end of the 7th month, you harvest and sell.

Breeding is a different ball game. You don't automatically have your expectations met. I saw a big sow(like 70kg) in a big farm yesterday and the sow gave birth to just one piglet after eating and drinking their food for almost 4 months. Some can have moralities after farrowing, the mother may even die. Pregnant pigs eat a lot and you will need competent hand in administration of drugs so that they won't be adversely affected. Taking care of aggressive dam(mother pig) is not easy. Piglet teeth nipping, iron injection, deforming, antibiotic administration may need alittle more care.

All this are simple things if you are knowledgeable or have a competent attendant. But if not, please have a second thought and choose the former.

All will be well.

Go start your biz!

Very insightful Sir. Thanks a lot. Although I'm not the one starting it. I'm in the process of setting up a poultry now.
Re: To Breed Or Buy Piglets by jedisco(m): 2:15pm On Mar 05, 2016
AreaFada2:
I have two Non-NLer friends currently joining resources to start a pig farm. Both are in full-time employment. No previous piggery experience.

One of them suggests buying piglets, fatten them up and sell off after about six months. That way, a single full-time employee will do, at least for a start. Both will lend a hand after work and on weekends. About 40 to 50 piglets to begin with.

The other prefers breeding piglets so that they can sell off some of them and fatten some up. That way, the business will grow quicker. He thinks they can manage about 10 to 15 sows for a start.

What do gurus in the house think?

Thanks.

I'm thinking in this direction. Which option was finally chosen?
Re: To Breed Or Buy Piglets by Ayoolu(m): 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2016
From my experience, you have to take both routes. Breeding in-house will guarantee piglets availability and bio-security in the long run. In the short term, you can buy piglets to raise to market size.

Note piggery has a long gestation period to profitability and pls be careful on the partnership( e no concern me sha).
Re: To Breed Or Buy Piglets by Pally247: 11:58pm On Mar 10, 2016
We help poultry farmers with recipes that enhance the growth of their poultry animals to attain desired weight in the market thereby cutting down on cost of feeding their animals for too long. The good part of it is that the recipe can work for All types of birds be it "Broilers, Cockrels, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese" , Pigs & Cattles. Interested persons should send me a PM.. we bet you, you won't want to go back to the old way of farming after tasting this. NB:- Please only serious minded persons should send me a PM thanks. andersonpally@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Where To Get Watermelon Seed / Broiler Farming: Unleased! / Palm Oil Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.