Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? (1402 Views)

If Saraki Resigns; Which Zone Will Produce The Next Senate President? / Which Zone Would Produce The Next President After Buhari's Tenure? / ‘why Igbo Should Produce Lagos Deputy Gov In 2015’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by gbeborun(m): 12:32am On Aug 23, 2006
Is power in Nigeria (political power) an exclusive right of the northeners? Atiku, IBB, Makarfi, Goje, Marwa, Buhari, Sanni Yerima, ACF (Arewa COnsultative Forum) are of the opinion that power belongs to them! Otherwise they wont have demanded that power be returned to them.
Dear naira landers, which of the 6 six zones should produce the next president?
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by nilla(f): 6:55am On Aug 23, 2006
please list the 6 zones?
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by otokx(m): 10:44am On Aug 23, 2006
North-East
North-West
North-Central
South-West
South-East
South-South
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by DeepSoul(f): 1:18pm On Aug 23, 2006
This zoning issue, in my opinion, is trivial. Where the next President comes from will not determine how good a leader he or she will be.

Unfortuantely, everybody now wants his or her "town man" to be the next President. Pity.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by nilla(f): 3:56pm On Aug 23, 2006
@ Deep soul

very correct indeed
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by otokx(m): 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2006
Once power is removed from the center and the derivation principle applied in to to there will less clamouring for zoning.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by my2cents(m): 2:22am On Aug 24, 2006
Whichever zone has the best candidate, regardless of tribe or party affiliation. Period!!
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Omolulu(m): 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2006
Although I'm not an exponent of zonal presidency,i would rather suggest in the interest of fairness and contribution to national wealth the zoning of the presidency to the south-south.I hope the people of that region are able to put forward credible candidates like Utomi and Duke rather than thieves like Igbinedion or Attah(i would go blind before i vote him as a president)
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by GNature(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2006
I agree with those that stated that it really
doesn't matter where the candidate comes
from, but the person's ability to deliver.

Unfortunately, Nigeria is so divided among
ethnic lines (this is not my opinion) that the
political class use this zoning issue to make
their argument.

Having said this, I think either the South South
or South East should produce the next president.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Chxta(m): 10:48pm On Aug 27, 2006
Best candidate
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by otokx(m): 3:38am On Aug 28, 2006
Best candidate
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Bolarge(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2006
As laudable and ideal as the concept of a detribalised approach to the rulership of this country is,we must come to terms with the reality on ground:
For a section of the country to have held on to power for over 37yrs out of the 46yrs of our corporate existence while a section in the same geographic entity cannot boast of 2minutes in power is unthinkable. It simply insults our corporate sense of justice,fairness and equity.
The average Nigerian from the South-South will not listen to such 'unwholesome crap' and justifiably so especially in the light of the marginalisation,rape and degradation they have been subjected to all these years. Maybe after 2 terms in office their pains and agitations would have been soothed enough to consider this (presently) utopic ideal.
Only then can we unanimously say "BEST CANDIDATE".
For now it's"BEST CANDIDATE from the SOUTH-SOUTH region".
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by GNature(m): 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2006
@ Bolarge, well said and welcome to nairaland.

Who do you want to be president from the S. South ? Who is your best candidate?
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by DeepSoul(f): 4:48pm On Aug 29, 2006
For the sake of equity, we can say the South-south is the best candidate.

But realistically, how will the average Nigerian's life from the south south change positively with the emergence of "one of their own" as President?

This zoning thing is even done at state levels. Practical example. Find out where exactly ur state governor comes from and see if the lives of those from his community are any better than those who arent.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by stanech: 6:03pm On Aug 29, 2006
The zone which produces the next president does not matter but what matters is the way and manner the country is ruled. We have to get a rular that is currupt be it from North, South East or West. That's all we need to move forward as a country.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Chxta(m): 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2006
Funny, but come to think of it, the South-South has produced a Nigerian leader before. . .
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by DeepSoul(f): 7:32pm On Aug 29, 2006
@Chxta,
Oh yeah? Pray tell, who might that be?
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Sijien(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2006
i am waiting for u chxta
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Chxta(m): 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2006
Ahh. . .

Not as much interest yet. . .
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Bolarge(m): 11:38am On Aug 30, 2006
GNature:

@ Bolarge, well said and welcome to nairaland.

Who do you want to be president from the S. South ? Who is your best candidate?
Thanks GNature. I am from the South-West(Osun State to be precise) and I'm simply making a case-not for any individual I endorse but for a hitherto marginalised region. I leave the S-Southerners to determine who among them is competent enough to serve in that capacity.
Deep Soul:

For the sake of equity, we can say the South-south is the best candidate.

But realistically, how will the average Nigerian's life from the south south change positively with the emergence of "one of their own" as President?

This zoning thing is even done at state levels. Practical example. Find out where exactly your state governor comes from and see if the lives of those from his community are any better than those who arent.

The purpose of having a president from the S-South transcends the betterment of the lot of that sole region-No! It is more far-reaching than that. It is giving every sector of this country a sense of belonging. It is imbibing the tenets of equity and fairness. Nobody is "born to rule"and nobody is "born to serve".Let the unborn child in the least minority tribe of this nation come to life knowing he has as much rights as any other from any place to aspire to any position in this nation.
Only after righting these wrongs can we boast of a level playing field for subsequent electoral engagements. This is my humble submission.
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by Chxta(m): 5:21am On Aug 31, 2006
Considering the fact that in Nigeria, you are from where your ancestors originated (state of origin), not where you were born. . .

For example, Chxta was born and brought up in Benin, but as Nigeria is currently set up, has to move eastward to be able to aspire to political office, then it goes without saying that the late General Murtala Ramat Mohammed was from a little village a few miles south-west of Auchi in present day Edo State.

That makes him from the South-South. Which means that the South-South has produced a Nigerian leader before. So all the Ijaw youths et al should shut the f**k up!
Re: Which Zone Should Produce The Next President? by ishmael(m): 6:17pm On Aug 31, 2006
Why all these zoning issue in the first place? I thought nigeria has fully embraced democracy? In democracy there is nothing like zoning; it is a govt of the people by the people and for the people. Whether north or south, east or west all we want is a God-fearing and sincere leader. If the person like make e come from Bakassi or chad sef, the most important thing is for nigeria to be better than it is presently. Let the wealth of the nation go round; let every nigerian benefit and have a taste of the national cake. All these south-south, south- east, north whatever agitations are all rubbish and nonsense.

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Can’t Remove Me, Boasts Fayose / 'Licensed To Kill' Inc Expands Into Nigeria / The Sins Of Dora Akunyili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.