Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 (17806 Views)

Lagos Film Industry Masterclass By The British Film Institute / Invasion 1897 / Invasion 1897. The Story Of... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 11, 2015
as a theatre guy..am so disappointed cos they won't allow us to handle the work for them.give me 100k I will produce a world class film
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by joeace2020(m): 10:23am On Feb 11, 2015
When its not sensational... you won't get Nigerians discussing about it. What a waste of space trying to get the opinion of educated illiterates roaming around on an intellectually demanding discuss.

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Orikinla(m): 10:25am On Feb 11, 2015
VillageBoi:
Saw this film a couple of days ago at the BFI and part of their regular 'African Odysseys' programme.

Wow, what do I even say about it? First let me remind you of the trailer -

Invasion 1897 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljETHmfD34

Oga Orikinla, no vex but I was seriously disappointed with this film - remember over a year ago there was that long thread on this film and we talked about so many things - especially the extremely poor VFX and the 'supposed' $18m budget which I straight up called BS. Well the film remained just as bad as the trailer (no they did not ever attempt to rework the crappy VFX).

This is a HUGE story, a huge part of our history and should have been a huge EPIC of a film... sadly it was so underwhelmingly small that a friend I took thought that they were fighting for a little village or patch of land and not a whole Benin Kingdom. When she got home she started reading about the Benin Kingdom and couldn't understand where the $1m budget went. This did not even look like a 100K film... yes it was shot on the 'regular' RED EPIC... sadly not too many of our films look like films when shot on such amazing cameras but end up looking like they were shot on 'video' - post-production people take note.

There was zero crowd. Benin Kingdom soldiers no pass 20 sef. When the Oba's daughter was getting married crowd no pass 30. Seriously how hard is it to go into a village or 2 and get 150-200 people as crowd (shebi na 'epic' you dey make?) This was a joke. Whenever it went into the 1897 'era' you could just not for anything believe you had been transported to that timeline. Costumes were poor, the oyinbo people sef wore kiddy plastic-costume police caps from the 'One Pound' shop and the t-shirts were so modern - there couldn't have been crew-neck elasticated t-shirts in 1897...Duh! Oh and the 'nylon' shorts... why not 'cotton' - Didn't these people watch 'October 1' which is a zillion light years better?
Yes na period drama but the acting was theatrical and generally poor, various things in the edit made it unintentionally comical - this was a serious subject matter nah! Anyway I no go yab the film too much - this was a seriously, seriously missed opportunity. Of course it will pick up the normal "Let's-pity-and-dash-those-black-African-people" some awards from festivals that no one has heard of because the subject matter is a bit controversial.

We really need to learn "Do something well or don't do it at all." Filmmaking is not by force nah; don't do things until you are actually ready - why bite off a thousand times more than what you can chew? And we want Nigerian filmmaking to be taken seriously? We are jokers that have no shame at all - look at a relatively non-filmmaking fellow-African-country like Mauritania diving head first with a 'quality' film straight to an 'Oscar' nomination submission.
Oh well, we're professionals at making the same excuses we've hear a million times over. Bring on the excuses!

Here is the Q&A session which was generally interesting (it's long at just over an hour)
Yes the 450 seat venue was packed - most people left right after the screening.
Invasion 1897 - Q&A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8glXnWvjlXE

OP, thank you for your honest analysis of Lancelot Imasuen's epic "Invasion 1897" and it is best coming from someone who is not related to the director.
As one of the publicists of the film, I cannot also be the critic.

As I always say in Nollywood, the best is yet to come. And another Nigerian is already working on his own version of the same history.

4 Likes

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Kingsasian(m): 10:35am On Feb 11, 2015
I haven't watched it yet but just seeing the advert two wks back I knew it was a failure. The scenes were totally out of place. I prefer the book a thousand times to the rubbish I saw on tv.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by lechiffre: 10:52am On Feb 11, 2015
Don't you guys get tired of criticizing nigerian movies all the time? We have been criticizing nollywood flicks as far back as the 90s and that shiit is really getting old. if you are such great story tellers and effects engineers then why don't you go into business? you could even start an arts and creative club to empower youths on modern art and creativity then outsource them to work in the industry for free no one will say no to free labour, fresh ideas and young minds and who knows it just might revolutionize the movie industry.
Its a whole lot better than sitting down in your house to criticize working people.
Smh

2 Likes

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Oiselenjakhian(m): 10:56am On Feb 11, 2015
As a game developer who struggled to get up a games studio twice, what I have seen is that the industry wants quick waka rather than quality.

As a result, the best marketers and organizers trump the best developers. That is the same thing that happened here.

An opportunity to make history was missed.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by iamord(m): 10:58am On Feb 11, 2015
this crap was shot with red epic so disappointing. my camera phone could do better sad Bollywood practitioners need to go back to the drawing board and learn cos. there is really no creativity. they are just glorified village champions
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Aystarz: 11:10am On Feb 11, 2015
Olagospel:
I would really love to watch the movie. It is a good thing that we are taking time to criticise/appreciate such movies. This is supposed to help our film professionals. Nigeria has the potential to be producing Grammy-winning movies.

I know of OSCAR award winning actors and movies, but which one be grammy-award winning MOVIES again? Lol.. The grammies is made for musical artiste s not movie actors.

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Sezua(m): 11:26am On Feb 11, 2015
Olagospel:
I would really love to watch the movie. It is a good thing that we are taking time to criticise/appreciate such movies. This is supposed to help our film professionals. Nigeria has the potential to be producing Grammy-winning movies.
grammy is for music boss! no come confuse us here
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by bomasek(m): 12:33pm On Feb 11, 2015
Was expecting to read a nicely put review by the op but u ended up making the review a great bore. I suggest u browse rottentomatoes.com so u can add a touch of awe in your review nay criticism.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by caxim04(m): 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
thanks @op.

I always ask myself how much it will cost them to organize crowd when there is the need for it.
Go to any higher institution with less than 500k i bet it, you will get at least 200 students to pose
for you as your crowd.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by rhames(m): 3:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
Orikinla:

OP, thank you for your honest analysis of Lancelot Imasuen's epic "Invasion 1897" and it is best coming from someone who is not related to the director.

As I always say in Nollywood, the best is yet to come. And another Nigerian is already working on his own version of the same history.

Its got to be better than this trash oh!!.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Kimmo(f): 4:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
Dear VillageBoi, thank you!

I'd never even heard about the movie until the day I saw it. I was at the cinema with a friend and immediately I saw it on the booklet, I insisted we watch it because the synopsis said it was about Benin and its war history.

I was, to put it mildly, very disappointed. It takes a special kind of movie director to make such a strong tale turn out as blah as this one did.

I notice you compared with October 1 - that movie was nothing short of brilliant.

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Bibol(f): 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
And to think I was looking forward to seeing the movie

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by Bibol(f): 4:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
caxim04:
thanks @op.

I always ask myself how much it will cost them to organize crowd when there is the need for it.
Go to any higher institution with less than 500k i bet it, you will get at least 200 students to pose
for you as your crowd.
What are you saying? Just give a bunch of tired students 1k each and you will see them posing gladly as your extras. Its not that hard

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by oluwapitson: 4:15pm On Feb 11, 2015
am sure.d major problem wasnt that there were no crowd to use in on that location where d film was shot, buh mayb d producer is too stingy to pay more extras to tell a better story.
secondly, the major problem is that when some film maker want to make the so called "big budget" movie, they just go abroad to get a white D.O.P (cinematographer/cameraman) dem no wan know if u sabi d tin, just b oyinbo...lol. all the crew on kunle Afolayan's october1 were all Nigerians, shot by a Nigerian cinematographer; Yinka Edward.
Lastly, even if the crowed no plenty sef, at least in post u can manipulate na, na wao! shebi we dey watch behind d scene for hollywood, they do this all the time , use green screen, anything sha let d final product b gud.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by mrmagoo(m): 4:16pm On Feb 11, 2015
VillageBoi:
Saw this film a couple of days ago at the BFI and part of their regular 'African Odysseys' programme.

Wow, what do I even say about it? First let me remind you of the trailer -

Oga Orikinla, no vex but I was seriously disappointed with this film

Yawn! a terrible write up made to discredit a "terrible" movie? now that is what I call an irony

I think we have enough of nairalanders who go around bashing nollywood movies and finger pointing at their mistakes just to score cheap points and the sad part is ,they are always unconstructive

So here's my advice for you mr op

- We all know nollywood movies are bad so find a
more creative way to gain attention

- Movie reviews is a career I strongly advice you don't go into cause you are really bad at it

- Rather than sitting in front of your laptop and forming movie critic from an armchair, why don't you go into the movie making business? I'm sure nollywood can use your"knowledge and expertise" or better yet why don't you shoot your own movie to set an example? Like it or not lancelot shot a movie where is your own movie? Until you can shoot a full length movie that is up to taste and can beat this "bad" movie then my dear friend I suggest you sign off
#JustSaying

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by oluwapitson: 4:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bibol:

What are you saying? Just give a bunch of tired students 1k each and you will see them posing gladly as your extras. Its not that hard

I bet you, the crowd watching behind the camera will b 4 times more than the extras we saw in d movie, and the people will be glad to even be filmed sef. give dem a stipend and u've made their day

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by oluwapitson: 4:31pm On Feb 11, 2015
lechiffre:
Don't you guys get tired of criticizing nigerian movies all the time? We have been criticizing nollywood flicks as far back as the 90s and that shiit is really getting old. if you are such great story tellers and effects engineers then why don't you go into business? you could even start an arts and creative club to empower youths on modern art and creativity then outsource them to work in the industry for free no one will say no to free labour, fresh ideas and young minds and who knows it just might revolutionize the movie industry.
Its a whole lot better than sitting down in your house to criticize working people.
Smh
constructive criticism is healthy for creative work
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by lechiffre: 4:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
oluwapitson:

constructive criticism is healthy for creative work

Yinmu! Oya so how many creative works has healthy constructive criticisms caused in nollywood? Isn't it obvious that criticizing is not working?

People hardly respond to criticisms, people mostly respond to ideas people respond to trend setting people respond to solutions.
If you want nollywood to improve then
Stop the criticisms and find a new route

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 5:52pm On Feb 11, 2015
Aystarz:

I know of OSCAR award winning actors and movies, but which one be grammy-award winning MOVIES again? Lol.. The grammies is made for musical artiste s not movie actors.
Lol you no well. (and that is a compliment)
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 5:53pm On Feb 11, 2015
Orikinla:

Ah Oga. I really wanted to love this film. It's a story that MUST be an EPIC when told. Oh well.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:00pm On Feb 11, 2015
lechiffre:
Smh

No we don't get tired of criticizing bad work, why should we? Outsource people to work for free? Do YOU work for free or you're a yes-Oga-handout-collector? And no I don't just criticize - I teach and do work in film.

1 Like

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2015
Kimmo:
Dear VillageBoi, thank you!

I'd never even heard about the movie until the day I saw it. I was at the cinema with a friend and immediately I saw it on the booklet, I insisted we watch it because the synopsis said it was about Benin and its war history.

I was, to put it mildly, very disappointed. It takes a special kind of movie director to make such a strong tale turn out as blah as this one did.

I notice you compared with October 1 - that movie was nothing short of brilliant.

Thank you Kimmo. I'm glad you've seen exactly what I was talking about... and you even put it 'mildly'. wink
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:12pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bibol:
And to think I was looking forward to seeing the movie

Please people still do see the movie and you can decide for yourself if it's good or bad.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:16pm On Feb 11, 2015
oluwapitson:
am sure.d major problem wasnt that there were no crowd to use in on that location where d film was shot, buh mayb d producer is too stingy to pay more extras to tell a better story.
secondly, the major problem is that when some film maker want to make the so called "big budget" movie, they just go abroad to get a white D.O.P (cinematographer/cameraman) dem no wan know if u sabi d tin, just b oyinbo...lol. all the crew on kunle Afolayan's october1 were all Nigerians, shot by a Nigerian cinematographer; Yinka Edward.
Lastly, even if the crowed no plenty sef, at least in post u can manipulate na, na wao! shebi we dey watch behind d scene for hollywood, they do this all the time , use green screen, anything sha let d final product b gud.
No idea what the producer did... I mean where was the $1m spent?
The DOP was some 'Indian' guy probably 'imported' when there are a ton of Nigerians in Nigeria that could have DOPd this film.
You trust them to 'manipulate' a crowd of 20 into a crowd of 2000... not with the terrible VFX people we ALWAYS go to.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bibol:

Very true. getting a large crowd in Nigeria is not hard.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by VillageBoi(m): 6:31pm On Feb 11, 2015
mrmagoo:

Yawn! a terrible write up made to discredit a "terrible" movie? now that is what I call an irony

I think we have enough of nairalanders who go around bashing nollywood movies and finger pointing at their mistakes just to score cheap points and the sad part is ,they are always unconstructive

So here's my advice for you mr op

- We all know nollywood movies are bad so find a
more creative way to gain attention

- Movie reviews is a career I strongly advice you don't go into cause you are really bad at it

- Rather than sitting in front of your laptop and forming movie critic from an armchair, why don't you go into the movie making business? I'm sure nollywood can use your"knowledge and expertise" or better yet why don't you shoot your own movie to set an example? Like it or not lancelot shot a movie where is your own movie? Until you can shoot a full length movie that is up to taste and can beat this "bad" movie then my dear friend I suggest you sign off
#JustSaying

Nigerians that expect everyone must be a behind-kisser - far too many of such people like you exist. And you ALL come with the most ridiculous statement "Eh you didn't like it where is your own?" Jeez you guys can't ever come up with anything even half sensible?

Your quote - "We all know nollywood movies are bad"
So Nollywood movies must be bad? Well then let your 'expectation' remain in the gutter where it already is.

Another of your quotes - "Movie reviews is a career I strongly advice you don't go into cause you are really bad at it"
How do you pull off such rubbish? Someone goes to see a film but according to you (translating what you've said) they can't talk about their views unless it's a career? Where did you read that movie reviewing is my career? If you had even a tiny, tiny bit of common sense you'd know that what I wrote wasn't a 'review' nor was it even meant to be one. So yes, I saw a movie, didn't like it... if you feel like getting some rope I'm not going to stop you.

And to this section of your post - "Rather than sitting in front of your laptop and forming movie critic from an armchair, why don't you go into the movie making business? I'm sure nollywood can use your"knowledge and expertise" or better yet why don't you shoot your own movie to set an example? Like it or not lancelot shot a movie where is your own movie?"
Absolutely not going to respond to the abject stupidity of it.

3 Likes

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by tonididdy(m): 6:44pm On Feb 11, 2015
Sanchez01:
This is normal most times. I saw Dracula Untold sometimes last year and later read some foreign reviews of the movie, only to be disappointed because the movie never really depicted the real life tale of the Impaler. Turdks took offence and threatened all over.
dracula umdtold is a great movie bro...u know there have been so many movies on dracula but dracula untold was the closest abd best to it.
Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by caxim04(m): 7:51pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bibol, honestly its not that easy ooo. 500k for 200pple is not too much nah for a mega movie grin grin grin grin
Bibol:

Re: Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015 by cococandy(f): 8:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
Why the electronic voice narrative in the trailer?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chomzy Wins Head Of House. BBNAIJA 2022 (Video) / Jim Iyke's "A Star In Heaven" Movie To Premier On May 25th (watch Trailer) / Fears Over Indecency Broadcast In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.