Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,556 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint (20690 Views)

Gtbank Is A Fraud!!! Charging My Account Unnecessarily / Why Online Forex Trading Is A Fraud. My Findings / The First Ever Contactless ATM Debit Cards In Nigeria Deplored By UBA PLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by BJ4REEL(m): 7:00am On Feb 11, 2015
Something is not right.......
Its seems she is being threatened after creating this thread..
Money that wasnt refunded for over a year, just got magically refunded some minutes after creating this thread? hmmm
This country is messed up real bad.....
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by chidilly: 7:18am On Feb 11, 2015
hybeenoni:
Y am I thinkin sm1 was threatened?

Threatened indeeed! Who is threatening who? I'm still trying to understand this, person complain, them sort the complaint. Is there something else I'm not seeing abi na smear campaign be this? Abi, una be no wan make dem resolve the issue? E say na 'Y am I thinkin sm1 was threatened?' lol
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by chidilly: 7:24am On Feb 11, 2015
BJ4REEL:
Money that wasnt refunded for over a year, just got magically refunded some minutes after creating this thread? hmmm

You see ba, the country is messed up you said, and someone tabled an issue and the issue got attention and has been resolved, you don't want to believe it. You believe she's been threatened. By who please? It's like you know something some of us don't know. Conspiracy theorist everywhere. Please do us good to find out who threatened her.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Ephemmm: 7:35am On Feb 11, 2015
All I see in your case is insider dealing. The transaction could have been averted easily if it involves third party.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Modelling(f): 7:40am On Feb 11, 2015
datguru:
My brothers and sisters, let's beware of Nigerian banks oooo. I had same experience with first bank and lost my money till today!
My dear dats how I'd have lost my 20k to Ecobank if not for the help of NDIC (Nigeria Deposit Insurrance Corporation). Just look for their office there and complain to them. I went to CBN and was refered to them cos its chiken money, lol.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Modelling(f): 7:45am On Feb 11, 2015
malachytochukwu:
I have vowed never to have anything to do with UBA. I had an issue almost similar to this, unfortunately UBA aided the fraudster and I lost about 45k. I complained to the branch manager who said I should get a court order and police extract. I was able to get the police extract and an affidavit (the court said it can't issue me a court order since I have not filed a case against the person involved). I went bak to UBA and all they could tell me was that its hard to retrieve my money. UBA is aiding and abating fraudulent acts in Nigeria.
I got mine back after 7months through the help of Nigeria Insurrance Deposite Corporation (NDIC)'s intervention.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Joseph555: 7:51am On Feb 11, 2015
chidilly:

Blackmail ko, Blackmail ni. I really don't understand you people o. Shouldn't we be happy that she made a complaint and the issue has been resolved? I just tire......

Abi o...me sef I taya *shaking head*. This is a platform where we have freedom of speech. What has blackmail got to do with this. I am just glad the issue has been resolved.let's stop beating this issue and look forward to having a great day.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Pavore9: 7:59am On Feb 11, 2015
l am having issues withdrawing from my Fidelity acct, money was deposited into it last Friday, got an email alert 11 hours later! Till now l can't withdraw frm any ATM here in Nairobi, reading insufficient fund while am staring @my money on d screen!
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Joseph555: 8:02am On Feb 11, 2015
BJ4REEL:

Someone is messed up here. So are you saying there is no true solution to every problem? How can a bank threaten me over my money? Oga o! Updating a post saying the problem has been resolved clearly shows the person doesn't know what he/she is doing. Just wanting attention. Me I never see this kyn thing before.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by 100Cents: 8:05am On Feb 11, 2015
datguru:
My brothers and sisters, let's beware of Nigerian banks oooo. I had same experience with first bank and lost my money till today!

And you kept quiet.

Some of these nonsense fall under internal fraud. In the end testing the customers resolve to have his money back.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Joseph555: 8:28am On Feb 11, 2015
chidilly:

People still bank with UBA because they are reliable. Irrespective of what happened, UBA is still among one of the good banks out here. Just because we don't come running here always complaining of what was meted out to us by other banks doesn't mean we have no issues. My parents have banked with UBA for ages,they passed it down to us too. We've all not had any issues.

Gbam! I have had problems with other banks and I don't run here to blab and "resolve" it myself. I love red, UBA is just the right bank for me. Never had any issue and I believe I never will.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Graham123: 8:36am On Feb 11, 2015
arbitrage:
This same Walgreens USA again. That's where some 419 stole my dollars too on Union visa card and carried out several transactions along with Onola Car Shipping business, Onola Car wash and Walgreens groceries. They were just using my visa card anyhow. Previous year it was booking flight on Japan Airline International. Thank God that Union bank responsibly gave me Visa International indemnity and refund claim form to fill and followed it up. My dollars were refunded after they blocked/hotlisted the card.
Sad to hear this has happened at your end more than once. Fortunately, you were refunded unlike many victims of similar fraudulent transactions. I might have to open a Union account as a result.

I know quite a lot about financial frauds, loopholes and how to protect yourself. In your case, there are lots of possibilities as to how your card info became compromised. Seeing that it occurred more than once limits the possibilities to just a few.

Firstly, keep your cards away from your friends especially the shady ones.
Secondly, if you often make online transactions with your card, it's likely you have a keylogger malware or RATs installed on your computer or phone. In which case all the info you input on these devices become compromised. It's also possible that your favorite online store database has been hacked and your card info is being sold on the black market.

There's no 100% way to protect your info trust me. There are many means to get a card info for fraudulent use which I won't illustrate here lest the shady ones in forum take advantage. Just keep your card away from people as much as possible.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by egopersonified(f): 9:58am On Feb 11, 2015
Someone had an unresolved issue for a year, comes online to report it and it's resolved in 24 hours. Doesn't this sound strange? #myopinion
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by ihotu: 10:06am On Feb 11, 2015
This is good and positive news. I'm glad we still have establishments like UBA in this country who are willing to admit their error and please their customers. For those of you saying she could have sued, do you really think if UBA pans to be dubious, she can win a case against them? And I can only shake my head at those saying she was threatened, I don't blame you for accepting mediocrity as a way of life. Hopefully, one day you will know your rights.
I pray other banks will emulate this trend set by UBA and work harder to curb scammers and their fraudulent activities.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by malachytochukwu(m): 10:07am On Feb 11, 2015
That's wonderfl. How can I can go about it pls?
Modelling:

I got mine back after 7months through the help of Nigeria Insurrance Deposite Corporation (NDIC)'s intervention.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by ihotu: 10:08am On Feb 11, 2015
egopersonified:
Someone had an unresolved issue for a year, comes online to report it and it's resolved in 24 hours. Doesn't this sound strange? #myopinion

Well, what kind of bank of bank would you think they are if they don't thoroughly investigate cases like this and just dole out cash to whoever claims to have been shortchanged?
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 11, 2015
Pavore9:
l am having issues withdrawing from my Fidelity acct, money was deposited into it last Friday, got an email alert 11 hours later! Till now l can't withdraw frm any ATM here in Nairobi, reading insufficient fund while am staring @my money on d screen!

is it visa or mastercard atm card you have? if its visa then sorry it wont work. i had the same issue when i first came to Ghana with my Eco bank visa card and i had to change to Zenith Bank Naira Mastercard. No hassle. Zenith Bank is the best bank ever.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Pavore9: 11:23am On Feb 11, 2015
@dumo1, my visa has been working fine for the nearly 2 years l have been here as l withdraw and do P.O.S payment but for other payment such as my paypal verification, skype credit, airtime etc. l got a mastercard at a supermarket here within 15mins.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by ican2020: 11:49am On Feb 11, 2015
Be careful with UBA
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by distinkt(f): 11:53am On Feb 11, 2015
AN OPEN LETTER OF DECLARATION OF REFUNDED FUNDS BY UBA

Good morning Nairalanders and Nigerians,

I sincerely appreciate all the support and encouraging comments I have received concerning my complaint about UBA. This campaign started on Twitter on Sunday afternoon with the intention of getting UBA to do the right thing and return the money fraudulently removed from my account. With a rigorous Twitter campaign, they finally paid attention because they requested for my phone number and account details on Monday.

Yesterday morning, I headed out to a funeral without taking my phones. Upon my return, I realized that I had several missed calls; most of them were from the contact person I had been corresponding with in UBA.

As I scrolled through my text messages, I saw an alert that shows I have been credited with N1.2m, the same amount that had been fraudulently withdrawn from my account. I also saw another text message from the same Admin contact informing me that the Bank has refunded my money.

In order to be doubly assured, I called my account officer to check my account balance and his feedback affirmed that the money has been paid. This battle to recover my money has lasted for more than one year. What could not be achieved in one year has been made possible within 48 hours due to your prayers and support.

Once again, thank you for your support. Justice has been done on this case! UBA has stepped forward and done the right thing.

Warm regards,
Signed
Omo-Ojo Gloria (Mrs.)
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by distinkt(f): 11:59am On Feb 11, 2015
Check out https://www.nairaland.com/2141857/open-letter-declaration-refunded-funds for an update from Mrs. Omo-Ojo herself.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 11, 2015
chidilly:

I refuse to accept the fact that UBA is a useless bank. I keep saying I know loads of people who bank with UBA and not a single complaint. Biko, lets be reasonable.

And you think I'd set out to rubbish their name because??

I had to take out time out of work to be chasing the whole thing. Oga, I have different bank accounts and none has given me such stupid issue as UBA did. So I'm not one bit surprised by the OP's post.

Whoever is giving them training at their TS should be fired.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Joseph555: 12:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
masonkz:

And you think I'd set out to rubbish their name because??

I had to take out time out of work to be chasing the whole thing. Oga, I have different bank accounts and none has given me such stupid issue as UBA did. So I'm not one bit surprised by the OP's post.

Whoever is giving them training at their TS should be fired.

very Soon Your Holy Banks Will Show U their True Colors. I feel It Is Commendable That UBA Resolved This Issue As Soon As Possible. I still Dont Know why She Had To Lie That She Had Been Pursuing It For A year And Now Saying It Started Last Sunday on Twitter. Hmmm.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
Joseph555:

very Soon Your Holy Banks Will Show U their True Colors. I feel It Is Commendable That UBA Resolved This Issue As Soon As Possible. I still Dont Know why She Had To Lie That She Had Been Pursuing It For A year And Now Saying It Started Last Sunday on Twitter. Hmmm.

I definitely don't know of any holy banks, and I could care less about the majority of our banks. All I need is good customer service and for whatever money I have in the bank, be it small or big, to be safe.

For now, anyone that is doing the above, is good for me. The day they act up, I port!

The only reason UBA responded to this is cos the woman has gone further with her case by engaging all sorts of media. A bank definitely wouldn't wanna soil its name in that way and risk losing its big clients (including potential ones) to other banks when they here of such irresponsibility with respect to customers' deposits.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Joseph555: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2015
masonkz:

I definitely don't know of any holy banks, and I could care less about the majority of our banks. All I need is good customer service and for whatever money I have in the bank, be it small or big, to be safe.

For now, anyone that is doing the above, is good for me. The day they act up, I port!

The only reason UBA responded to this is cos the woman has gone further with her case by engaging all sorts of media. A bank definitely wouldn't wanna soil its name in that way and risk losing its big clients (including potential ones) to other banks when they here of such irresponsibility with respect to customers' deposits.

Yea right! talking about good customer service, what happened on twitter not "all sorts of media " is to show the public how commited UBA are to customers and are ready to correct flaws.Some banks will just request for info from you and not take action. I once had a problem with ecobank, i went online and started complaining. believe me, no damn was given. UBA did take the bull by the horn and that means alot to me.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by Laredojohn(m): 1:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
distinkt:
UBA HAS JUST REFUNDED THE MONEY TO MRS. GLORIA OMO-OJO. JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMENTS. THANK YOU UBA FOR COMING THROUGH AT LAST!

February 9th, 2015

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

My name is Gloria Omo-Ojo and I am a customer of the United Bank of Africa Plc (UBA). I write to complain about a recent unsavoury banking experience with the UBA.

Sometime on the 16th of January 2014, I received an email from UBA’s Risk Alert Unit requesting for confirmation of four (4) POS transactions totalling $2021.48 allegedly carried out at Walgreens, Riverhead, New York, USA. The email came while I was asleep. Upon seeing the mail the next morning, I promptly responded and declined confirmation. I also followed up with a phone call and a visit to the branch where my account is domiciled.

However on the 20th of January 2014, I discovered to my shock that my account had been debited with naira equivalent of ten (10) additional transactions at the same Walgreens, Riverhead, New York for which no transaction confirmation request was received. All 14 transactions happened in a span of about 2 hours same day.

It dawned on me that UBA honoured the fraudulent transactions on my account even after I had raised alarm to stop further transactions on the account. I lost N1, 126,412.00 as a result of the bank’s failure to honour my request.

Having exhausted all channels to secure refund from UBA, I submitted a complaint letter to the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) Consumer Banking Department. In response to CBN’s query on the matter, UBA exonerated itself of blame and insisted that the bank will not refund the lost money to me. In a dramatic and twisted interpretation of its own rules, the CBN informed me that it was unable to accede to my request to compel UBA to refund the unauthorised withdrawals. Since then, every effort to recover the money amicably from UBA has failed.

It is rather curious that UBA’s defense was that I did not respond immediately to the confirmation notice. The big question here is what does UBA consider as ‘immediate response’? The confirmation mail was sent at night time and response was under 12 hours, yet the bank still considered that as not immediate enough. It is a known banking rule that once a bank initiates a transaction confirmation request, it is binding that response must be received before action is taken.

It is appalling that an acclaimed international bank in the status of UBA could display lack of commitment to its own core value of security of customers’ money. UBA’s inability to stop unauthorised transactions on my account despite the fact that I raised an alarm is pathetic and unacceptable. The bank has demonstrated incompetence in transaction authentication processes. It is worrisome how easily customers’ vital information with UBA could be compromised.

I have in the past one year incurred a lot of expense pursuing this matter as well as suffered psychological trauma. I am using this medium to appeal to UBA to revisit this matter with a view to refunding the lost money.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Gloria Omo-Ojo

UBA HAS JUST REFUNDED THE MONEY TO MRS. GLORIA OMO-OJO. JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMENTS. THANK YOU UBA FOR COMING THROUGH AT LAST!
good the money has been refunded , my sister suffered something similar with zenith and it took them about three months to refund , the process went smooth .
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by egopersonified(f): 3:22pm On Feb 11, 2015
ihotu:

Well, what kind of bank of bank would you think they are if they don't thoroughly investigate cases like this and just dole out cash to whoever claims to have been shortchanged?

Agreed no one is above mistake, but when it is found out, it should be resolved. This issue was taken to CBN and they couldn't even make UBA pay. What happens to other Nigerians in similar situations who don't know how the internet works and can't complain online?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by rhames(m): 3:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
The most useless in terms of customer service. I had to close my account with the same bank when i was stranded in Lagos and went to withdraw some money there. Unfortunately, the cheque book issued by the same bank for more than a year was not ranged in their system. I actually walked out with the CSO people asking me how i will get back to my destination. I replied them that I had some back up just in case.
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by realnaijaboy: 5:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
rhames:
The most useless in terms of customer service. I had to close my account with the same bank when i was stranded in Lagos and went to withdraw some money there. Unfortunately, the cheque book issued by the same bank for more than a year was not ranged in their system. I actually walked out with the CSO people asking me how i will get back to my destination. I replied them that I had some back up just in case.

Atleast they cared enough to ask how you would get to your destination. Oga, this your story just sounds very hollow. Why don't u tell us what REALLY happened?
Re: Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint by ihotu: 5:42pm On Feb 11, 2015
That's exactly my point! This issue was not resolved because she came to rant on NairaLand and they just can't receive a directive from CBN or any powerful body and pay her like that. Firstly, there must have been other complaints before hers and you don't expect them to jump the line for her. Secondly, thorough investigation had to be made because you don't know how many people try to defraud the bank is such manner. So all I'm saying is whether or not she came to cry on nairaland, this issue would have been resolved and she would have definitely gotten her money back.
egopersonified:

Agreed no one is above mistake, but when it is found out, it should be resolved. This issue was taken to CBN and they couldn't even make UBA pay. What happens to other Nigerians in similar situations who don't know how the internet works and can't complain online?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Depreciates Marginally Against Dollar / Farming for business : Ideas / Can A Man In His Early 30s Do Akara & Akamu Busines Without Shame?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.