Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,518 members, 7,801,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: (39278 Views)

Nigeria Police Force Salary Structure (screenshots) / The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force / Nigeria Police Salary Structure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by zogo(m): 1:00pm On Jan 02, 2009
am a final yr student of political science, am really contemplating of join the Nigerian police force, whats ur advise/sugestion? are there oportunities for me in the police force?

plz if u're informed about the police force, pls inform me. tenx

1 Like

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2009
Wow, for real? Quite rare seeing anybody that picks the Nig. Police force as a first choice. . .

From the little I know about them, I think an educated recruit gets promoted faster than the illiterate/semi-literate ones,especially one with a B.Sc, so long as you do your job well of course.
Catch is, can you cope with the less than adequate salary the rank and file get paid?

Opportunities are everywhere in the Force. . .for doctors,electricians,computer geeks, even tailors. Pol.Sci shouldn't be an exception. I'll try get more info for you tho. . .

2 Likes

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by zogo(m): 5:38pm On Jan 02, 2009
Thanks Crystalz, plz if join with my first degree, wat rank will i be aiming at? also wats the least duration i can serve? can i resign before my period?
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Encomium(m): 5:50pm On Jan 02, 2009
I advice you to reverse your plan of joining the Nigeria Police Force for your own good and that of your generations yet unborn. Better look for something else as well as a place to work after graduation. Please, don't spoil our worldwide respected course of Political Science cos you will soon become a Political scientist.
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 8:43pm On Jan 02, 2009
@zogo

If you join the Force with your B.Sc you'll be an ASP. That's Assistant Superintendent of Police. It's a reasonable rank.  .  .you won't be controlling traffic or doing stop 'n' search and the like. ASP is higher than the normal rank and file.

Asst. Superintendent of Police, next Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), next Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP).

Next Asst. Commissioner of Police (ACP), next Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), next Commissioner of Police (CP).

Next Asst. Inspector General of Police (AIG), next Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), next Inspector General of Police (IGP).

Promotions normally come at 3-year intervals,as in,all things being equal. The maximum number of years anyone can be on the Force is 35 years.

The least duration you can serve on the Force is entirely up to you. If you get in and after a year you want out, you're very free to walk. Voluntary resignation is very much allowed.

And, as an ASP you're an officer, though not a very senior one. Kind of like in the middle. Pay's better than the junior officers/rank and file. The senior boys are from ACP and above.

Hope this helps.

@Encomium

Let the dude explore his options na.  .  .if he feels he can do something positive for the country by joining the Force,we shouldn't discourage him grin

8 Likes

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by zogo(m): 5:26pm On Jan 09, 2009
@ cristalz, i realy appreciate ur contribution here. even if the whole world says bad about the Nigeria police force, i think its u and i that can sanitize our system (if we choose so)

However pls i also wish to ask you and members here if after joining the force, they will alow me to run a law program while in the force?

pls ur contribution here is highly treasured.
tenx

1 Like

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2009
You're welcome zogo wink

What exactly do you mean by 'law program'?
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by IykeD(m): 10:26pm On Jan 09, 2009
@crystal, i really learned a lot from ur replies to the guy's questions; though i am not planning on joining the Police Force.This is how posts of NL of old used to be, very educating.Thanx
As for the poster's last question, he means taking a law degree, ie he plans to become a lawyer while in the force and he is asking if it is possible.
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 9:47am On Jan 10, 2009
IykeD:

@crystal, i really learned a lot from ur replies to the guy's questions; though i am not planning on joining the Police Force.This is how posts of NL of old used to be, very educating.Thanx
As for the poster's last question, he means taking a law degree, ie he plans to become a lawyer while in the force and he is asking if it is possible.

Lol, why aren't you planning on joining the Force? Kidding grin
Thanks for clarifying further. . .I hope that's what zogo meant.

Yeah, it's very possible to become a lawyer while in the Force, but of course it would have to be part-time studies. The thing about the Force is that it's actually quite flexible. . .to an extent one can juggle things to suit one's desires.

Let me explain. . .some policemen prefer to be posted to states like Lagos, Abuja, PH etc where it is generally believed more money can be found via avenues other than their monthly salary. E.g a policeman gets paid monthly yeah, but the government of that state could suddenly give the police command in that state some sort of ''gift''. All the cops get to share, of course how much you get depending on your rank. But such only happens in states that are 'happening', states with money.
And then there's the movers and shakers of society that require police protection, as well as luxurious bus travelers that also require police protection. They pay for this, and the officers assigned to them get their share. It's also very possible that the person you're assigned to gives you some good 'bonuses'.
If one were to be in a state like Yobe, would such happen? Not likely. Generally believed that there's no money there. So some officers are actively involved in hustling for good places to get posted to.

The disadvantage of the 'happening' states is that there's more workload. In a place like Lagos, there's much to do. . .midnight calls, patrols, battling the high crime rate etc etc. So one will always be busy. When that is the case, that officer won't have sufficient study time.
In a place like Yobe, it's relatively quiet. Not very much to tackle, so plenty of study time.

But of course, not everyone would want to study law in Yobe state grin There's an option. . .
As an ASP you're either gon' be a field officer, as in, always out on the streets at whatever time(even if it's 2am), doing all the gunning and chasing etc. Or you will be an Admin guy, as in, more of paperwork/deskwork. In charge of in-house runnings, processing cases, researching laws etc, basically making sure all is going smoothly. . .kinda like the Operations guys in Banking. Marketers go out and do all the investigating and chasing, while the Operations people handle the processing and movement of cash.
When you're an Admin guy, you'll have more time. You'll be less tired,physically that is. When you're at your desk and there isn't much to do at that time, you can easily take out your law books and study at the office.
Sometimes you can close early and go home to study, knowing that you won't be called back to the office unless there's an emergency.

And, the high ranking officers in the Force are usually understanding when it comes to such issues. . .they usually go easy on officers working and studying at the same time. Well, mostly that's if you're lucky enough to work under a really nice boss.

So zogo, working in the Force and doing your law program at the same time is very possible. I can safely say 40% of Nigerian policemen are currently doing that.
Even if you're not an Admin guy, it's still possible to work and study, just that it's easier to cope with the inherent stress when you're more of a desk person.
And the state you're in matters too. If you're more interested in hustling for a good posting,'greener' pasture, you'll most likely have less time at your disposal than when you're in a relatively calm state. Okay, it doesn't have to be Yobe state grin But usually the Northern parts of Nigeria tend to have a lower crime rate unless there's religous disturbance, or political disturbance.

You might ask if one can decide which state he gets posted to. Normally, you have no say in wherever you get posted to. However there are 2 ways I know of that could influence one's posting. . .
1. The 'godfather' factor wink. If you've got a high ranking officer as a godfather, he/she could influence your posting to wherever you desire.

2. If you can produce evidence that you are currently enrolled in an academic institution, you won't be posted out of that state till you're done. Hey, the government does care about its Police officers being well educated.

Another thing I almost forgot. . .did you know you can be a lecturer in the Force? Earlier I told you there are opportunities for nearly everybody on the Force, from Medical Doctors to Lawyers to Electricians and Bricklayers. Even Bankers. The Force has got its own co-operative banks, hospitals, and of course training schools, and they prefer to have their own manning these places.
If there's an electrical fault, they prefer to get their own policeman-electrician. If they're sick, they prefer to go to their hospital and get treated by their police doctors.
Being a lecturer in a police training school is a comfy place to be as a part-time student. If you have classes from say, 8am till 2pm, you've got the rest of the day free for studying. A lecturer's time is quite flexible which is very advantageous to a part-time student.

And the Nig. Police Force treasures its well educated, intelligent men. . .it's them that are the future Commissioners and IGs after all.

Wow, I think my epistle is long enough for now,lol. grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 10:01am On Jan 10, 2009
Just felt like adding. . .

The Nig. Police can be really something if the problem of corruption can be tackled, if the government would spend more money on equipments for these officers and properly train them on how to use it, if the government would really up the pay of officers, especially that of the rank and file, and if the officers themselves are interested in self-development/improvement.

The individuals make the Force after all. If everyone intelligently used their heads, studied more, developed sensitive consciences. . .come on. The Force will excel. Nigerians are naturally brilliant after all, whether we're doing good or bad.

But in the end, the 2 monsters are poverty and corruption. I think zogo's desire is commendable. . .as long as he is not corrupt,lol grin

Funny, there are actually a number of similarities between Banking and Policing. . .just realizing. Major diff is the Bank pays much better.

1 Like

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Pennywise(m): 10:10am On Jan 10, 2009
zogo:

am a final yr student of political science, am really contemplating of join the Nigerian police force, whats ur advise/sugestion? are there oportunities for me in the police force?
plz if u're informed about the police force, please inform me. tenx

Not a bad career move if you dont mind the ever present smell of dry human waste that will envelop your work place for the most part of your career.
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by tkb417(m): 1:05pm On Jan 17, 2009
Cristalz
whats CSP? i tot that post is called the SP
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 4:54pm On Jan 17, 2009
TKB

CSP is Chief Superintendent of Police. It's the next rank after SP. I made an error back there.  .  .DSP should be SP.

As in, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP).  .  .Superintendent of Police (SP).  .  .Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP).

Here's the rank structure for the Nigeria Police Force:

- Inspector-General of Police (IG)

- Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG)

- Asst. Inspector-General of Police (AIG)

- Commissioner of Police (In-charge of contingents in a state) (CP)

- Deputy Commissioner of Police (DC)

- Asst. Commissioner of Police (AC)

- Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP)

- Superintendent of Police (SP)

- Asst. Superintendent of Police (ASP)

- Inspector of Police (INSP)

- Sergeant (SGT)

- Corporal (PC)

- Constable (PC)

For those interested, this is their site.  .  .

http://nigeriapolice.org/public/modules/news/

You can even post your comments there. . .after you register of course grin

1 Like

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by zogo(m): 11:26pm On Jan 17, 2009
@ Cystalz, i must confess,u've been wonderful here. i realy taught u're a force man, cos u almost have thier information and knowledge. also, ur encouragement too. Plz i'd like 2 knw if u belng to the force, so i can advance in my enquiries. tenx sir! plz let me also ask, what could the salary of an ASP be like?

Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 12:13am On Jan 18, 2009
@zogo

LOL grin grin

First, I'm a girl.

Second, no I'm not a policemanwoman grin I just happen to know a lot of them. . .

I'll find out how much the salary is and let you know tomorrow, or rather, later today.And. . .you're welcome wink
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by lawyer(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2009
what about the chances of lawyers joining the police force. anyhope? ;d
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2009
@lawyer

Lol. . .are you serious? Of course there's hope for you. The NPF has enough court cases to deal with on a daily basis grin

@zugo

An ASP's salary is between 80k and 83k, depending on whether he is a one-star ASP or a two-star ASP.
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by tkb417(m): 3:57pm On Jan 21, 2009
An ASP's salary is between 80k and 83k, depending on whether he is a one-star ASP or a two-star ASP.
abajo, thats why they keep extorting money from people. if an ASP will collect 83, how much will they give a constable?
12k i guess
9jaaa
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by Cristalz(f): 6:33pm On Jan 21, 2009
Haba, it's more than 12k na grin grin

And this salary is the new one o. Yar'adua increased their salary January last year. It's just sad that senators get outrageous sums of money for doing what they were hired to do when police men get paid chicken feed.
Last year when the senate was on recess and they had to be called back for an emergency sitting,story was that each one got paid 1m for attending. Imagine. And I'm sure that's minus travel allowance and wardrobe allowance and whatever else unnecessary allowance they get.

I mean, considering how risky the job of a policeman is, their pay is chicken feed.

God help this country.
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by zogo(m): 1:38pm On Jan 24, 2009
Crystal i realy luv u, keep it up!

i really wonder why "lawmakers" go home with milions of naira and yet the "law enforcers" goes home with peanuts, thereby impoverishing the law enforcer; i think its a problem that must be looked into, in Nigeria.

God help the NPF, God help Nigeria!
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by whipcock: 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2010
TABLE 1: ESTABLISHMENT AND STRENGTH OF THE FORCE
S/NO RANK ESTABLISHMENT STRENGTH OVER
STRENGHTH
VACANCY
1 IGP 1 1 - -
2 DIG 7 6 - 1
3 AIG 17 20 3 -
4 CP 85 99 14 -
5 DCP 147 141 - 6
6 ACP 417 355 - 62
7 CSP 1, 154 1, 407 253 -
8 SP 2, 308 1, 498 - 810
9 DSP 4, 616 3, 875 3, 989 741
10 ASP 9, 232 13, 221 - -
11 CADET ASP 800 - - 800
12 CHIEF INSP 100 1 - 99
13 DEPUTY
CHIEF INSP
100 1 - 99
14 ASST.CHIEF
INSP.
150 2 - 148
15 PRINCIPAL
INSP
300 73 - 227
16 SENIOR
INSP
1, 500 634 - 866
17 INSP. 26, 356 27, 464 1, 108 -
18 CADET INSP 800 - - 800
19 SGT/MAJOR 1, 383 123 - 1, 260
20 SGT 52, 711 42, 852 - 9, 859
21 CPL 105, 424 41, 795 - 63, 629
22 PC 210, 000 178, 107 - 31, 893
23 RECRUIT 160, 000 - - 160, 000
GRAND
TOTAL
577, 608 312, 223 5, 367 270, 752
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by vincent10(m): 9:51pm On Mar 26, 2011
@crystal thanx 4 ur good information, infact am considering being a member of the force after my youth service. But one great challenge is the nature of thies reput
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by vincent10(m): 9:52pm On Mar 26, 2011
@crystal thanx 4 ur good information, infact am considering being a member of the force after my youth service. But one great challenge is the nature of thies reput
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by vincent10(m): 9:52pm On Mar 26, 2011
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by ufumes(m): 10:21am On Apr 04, 2011
I know of a friend during service that joined the force after our service year. besides, the good pay may also be an incentive to encourage un employed graduates to apply
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by deejay4ril: 11:42pm On Dec 20, 2011
how about joining the customs service or immigration service , whats are your advise/sugestions? are there opportunities?

plz if u're informed, enlighten us
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by yamakuza: 11:52pm On Dec 20, 2011
deejay4ril:

how about joining the customs service or immigration service , whats are your advise/sugestions? are there opportunities?

plz if u're informed, enlighten us

why not start a new thread with that topic?
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by kinslykc(m): 6:47am On Aug 28, 2014
Plz can any1 here help me join d NPF... Plz
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by ABTA(m): 10:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
Now it's 2014 and the Nigeria police has stepped up it game abit.....now dis may not sound impressive but d salary of an ASP 11 is now 122k while ASP1 is around 128k......any question about d NPF is welcome
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by dapotemi: 11:37pm On Dec 01, 2014
ABTA:
Now it's 2014 and the Nigeria police has stepped up it game abit.....now dis may not sound impressive but d salary of an ASP 11 is now 122k while ASP1 is around 128k......any question about d NPF is welcome

Pls when is their recruitment starting?
Re: Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: by ABTA(m): 8:58am On Dec 20, 2014
dapotemi:

Pls when is their recruitment starting?
Not yet.....u can always get genuine info about recruitment on psc.gov.ng. cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Long Does It Take Pencom To Give Approval? / Mistakes A Guy Must Not Make In His 20s / My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.