Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 (48214 Views)

FG Probes Jonathan Over Bombings In Niger Delta - Daily Trust / Court Order Summons Served On Saraki & Ekweremadu Pasted On NASS Notice Board / Gbenga Adeyinka Mocks Jonathan Over N10 Fuel Price Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by lalasticlala(m): 5:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court has ordered that court documents in a fresh suit seeking to disqualify President Goodluck Jonathan from seeking re-election in the March 28 poll should be served on him.

The court said the papers should either be served on the president through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, or the Office of the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation.

The suit, FHC/ABJ/CS/1112/2015, instituted by Nkemjika Nkemjika was assigned to the court of Friday. The defendants in the suit apart from Mr. Jonathan are his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

A separate suit had earlier been filed seeking Mr. Jonathan disqualification from the presidential race before the court and another is also pending at the Court of Appeal.

Mr. Nkemjika had in his ex parte application said the court’s document could not be served directly on the president because he lives in the Aso Rock Villa, which is fortified.

He had asked the court to determine whether, having regard to the provisions of sections 135(1) (b) and 135(2) (b) of the Constitution, the president was qualified to contest the presidential election.

He contended that Mr. Jonathan’s second term in office would end on May 29, because Section 135(2) (b) of the 1999 Constitution (amended) does not envisage that the vice president should complete the unexpired tenure of office or unexpired term of office of a deceased President.

According to him, the president should be qualified to contest the 2015 presidential poll if he had won an election supervised by the Senate President in 2010 in accordance with the provision of Section 146(2) of the Constitution.

Section 146(2) provides that: “Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in sub-section 1 of this section during a period when the office of the Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of the President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.”

Mr. Nkemjika asked the court to remove Mr. Jonathan’s as the presidential candidate of PDP in view of the provision of Section 135(1)(b) of the Constitution, which states: “Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, a person shall hold office of the President until he dies whilst holding such office.”

The judge subsequently adjourned the suit to February 26.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/176509-court-orders-papers-served-jonathan-qualification-2015.html

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by francizy(m): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
Hmmmm!

***Battle everywhere, starts packing my refugee bags*** Togo open your boarders oh!

By the way, is it just me or does any other person hate reading stuffs that has/have SECTION THIS, SUB SECTION THAT in it?

136 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by ArchEnemy(m): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
Stop wasting your time! You cant disqualify that Man

150 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by kent79: 5:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
Oya!
Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Leopantro: 5:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
It's a super story......

seriously, with this election stories i no longer need to watch African magic.

never ending to-ri.......

36 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Chukwu94: 5:35pm On Feb 09, 2015
How he take concern us.. anything that they have done, would do or they are doing would never change our quest for change.

Sai buhari

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by immortalvoices(m): 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2015
The people above me does not even understand a thing about the postgrin

Now since the president has an immunity clause which covers him as been the president, is this not a waste of time

How on earth will this mistake of an act during yaradua's unfortunate tenure affect jonathan

And on the seeking of mr nkemjika ex parte application (me think it's injunction) can't work on a sitting president because the confusion lies with the senate during yaradua's illness and eventual death

They are wasting their time seeking relevance!

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by adedam007(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2015
K
Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by stag: 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2015
Our democracy is evolving and the courts need to clarify many things that lessons can be drawn from. Setting precedence and properly interpreting the laws will help now and in future elections so we don't make same mistakes.

Particularly, Buhari's case. I want to know if I apply for a job with FG and my certificate is requested, do I refer them to NYSC? Arguing that afterall, how did they clear me for the mandatory 1yr service if I didn't have a first degree? Can such claim/argument be valid and legitimate? Hmmm

Over to the courts undecided

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by miqos02(m): 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
hmmmm
Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
The battle has just beging........i pray make them disqulify both so another party should come in

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Koroaso: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
The slayer of corruption.
The terrorizer of looters.
The defender of the masses.
The no-nonsense general.
The most popular man in Nigeria.
The political enigma.
The only politician who can get millions without renting a crowd.
The man with a cult-like followership.

The persistent one!
PDP's worst nightmare.

All welcome Nigeria's incoming president
President Muhammadu Buhari. GCFR

151 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Bevista: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
I don't think the courts will rule against GEJ or GMB from contesting the elections.

March 28th is judgement day. We are waiting, and will give our 'ruling' against GEJ.

#March4Buhari

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by dharyour93(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
If both GEJ & GET are disqualified from contesting, then the election will be sweet. But now, it's hot

5 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by clara472: 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
Damn am loving Nigeria politics now, unlike before where everything is certain that one party will win, I just love the uncertainty of things it will cause all Government office holders to sit up and do their jobs.

[UPDATE]Inside story: Brains Behind Election Postponement
Source: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/3094-update-inside-story-brains-behind-election-postponement

5 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Innodon(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
Still watching in 4D
Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by pat077: 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
they no fit.
Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by tolexy007(m): 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
For the peace to reigh in diz country after d election, make court kuku disqualify both Gej and Gmb, since two of them get case for court.....Notin is in important to me in diz country dan PEACE...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by siraj1402(m): 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
THE FREEDOM "MARCH" -

They said he is not electable. Now that it's time to put their claim to test, they are running pillar to post trying to stop the only test that will prove them right or wrong.

They said Nigerians love Jonathan. Now that it's time for Nigerians to show how much they love him, the are afraid to subject him to public test.

They said Nigerians want continuity not change. Now that it's time for Nigerians to speak in favor of continuity or change, they wouldn't let Nigerians make their choices.

They said he's a military despot while they are democrats yet, he want elections and they hate elections.

They said their reason for the shift is to secure Nigeria from Boko Haram. How could they make Nigeria secure enough for elections in few weeks when they couldn't secure it in 5 years?

They said he is dishonest and they are honest yet, he always keep his words while they always break their promises.

We said they are clueless and they said they are prepared yet, it took them a week to elections to realize Nigeria is a security mess that need the concentration of the armed forces to be cleaned at the expense of a promising general election.

They said Nigeria is safe yet, "unsafe" Afghanistan, Iraq and Sudan conducted credible elections where a "safe" Nigeria failed.

Be it February or March, a bad government will remain a bad government that must be sacked. No matter how long you delay the burial of a corpse, the dead never return.

KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by sammyj: 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
This is the biggest Scam of the highest order by the clueless PDP party to make us believe GEJ and SHEPOPOTEMUS has some little credibility left in them not forgetting that we the intelligent kind loving people of Nigeria are resilient and wiser now than ever. If they like let them serve the clueless one paper or cartoon we will not be distracted from MarchingforChangemovement come rain, come sun shine come March 2015 after we vote this corrupt clueless government out of Aso Rock.

Click like for March4Buhari and

Share to MarchoutGEJ

63 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
Lol ..What is this ..Another plot from APC ?? This is the funniest thing have seen today..Right after the video of Buhari calling INEC Nigeria electoral commission and claiming The elections has been postponed.by 6 months .
Lol ..whether they like it or not . GEJ till 2019 by God's grace.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
if they disqualify him now,the disgrace wouldn't be much.Let elections come and allow Nigerians to send him to Otueke .let the decision be of d people ,by the people and for the people.

10 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by efguy1(m): 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
M tirrrreeeed of all dese post hittin FP.

Very soon, u go hear Jonathan and Osinbanjo meet inside public toilet

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
Na lawyer be the hot job now

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by shakur4luv(m): 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
space forsale half plot

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Rilwayne001: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
[size=15pt] JonaTAN must go by any means [/size]

8 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by alaoeri: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
Jona shouldn't be disqualify, I want him to be the first sitting president that will be humiliated at the poll in order news let MARCHBUHARI to Aso rock.
Sai Buhari.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by ichidodo: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Rubbish..

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Unu na eme na nkiti,ojebego

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by blackjack21(m): 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Edon thick like koko gari. gringringrin

MArCH4BUHARI

13 Likes

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Different laws, different interpretation, same country. I'm not a GEJ fan but I can convincingly tell those seeking to stop GEJ from contesting that they're (in d'banj's voice) sitting on a long thing. For now, № court can stop an incumbent Pres Jonathan from contesting in †нε election come March 28 2015.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 by aare07(m): 5:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
Who cares
Because he must Go

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pre-wedding Photos Of Nadine Mohammed, Amina Mohammed's Daughter / Nnamdi Kanu Smiles At A Security Agent In Abuja Today / Petition Seeking Visa Ban On Wike, Family Members Gets Over 200,000 Signatures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.