Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? (16291 Views)

Is Esu In Yoruba Language Is Bible/quran Referring As Satan / What Nigerian Language Is This / Ikwerre Language Is An Edo Dialect And Not Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 4:58pm On Feb 12, 2015
StarFlux:
Na truth be that.

What kind of "educated" person looks down on our native tongues? If you're that educated you should know the value of language and identity.

Absolutely
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 5:03pm On Feb 12, 2015
django1:

Don't be stupid boy, being uneducated does not mean one isn't intelligent and I never said they were not intelligent (although that is even debatable given the likes of you, boko haramites and marauding herdsmen inhabiting that north east region).
It is a known fact that people in that region have the lowest education standard in the country so it won't surprise anyone if they can't communicate in English, they simply don't understand the language.

Pride is a foolish thing in the face of facts, your people don't go to school hence the term uneducated unless you want to claim islamic education that's none of my business.

Placing a higher emphasis on a foreign tongue over your own does indeed mean you have an inferiority complex, a vast one at that you slave.

I don't know if this is just a classic case of fish brainitis, which is often a diagnosis amongst Africans who enjoy licking the salty balls of their colonial masters (like you).

You are not intelligent, if you were you would be glad that there are African cultures who don't want to be arse-kissers and sorry sight slaves like yourself.

As aforementioned, there are better places in which you can take that decaying prehistoric brain of yours. I advise you take it to the politics section where people have like mind and share the same low IQ that you possess.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

Placing a higher emphasis on a foreign tongue over your own does indeed mean you have an inferiority complex, a vast one at that you slave.

I don't know if this is just a classic case of fish brainitis, which is often a diagnosis amongst Africans who enjoy licking the salty balls of their colonial masters (like you).

You are not intelligent, if you were you would be glad that there are African cultures who don't want to be arse-kissers and sorry sight slaves like yourself.

As aforementioned, there are better places in which you can take that decaying prehistoric brain of yours. I advise you take it to the politics section where people have like mind and share the same low IQ that you possess.

You seem truly unaware of the insult you dished the rest of us in that post if yours I responded to.

I can only smh , Mr cow rearer, it is not a thing of pride that your people CANT communicate in English( yes, they can't not that they chose not to). Stop insulting our sensibilities ogbeni.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 8:16pm On Feb 12, 2015
django1:

You seem truly unaware of the insult you dished the rest of us in that post if yours I responded to.

I can only smh , Mr cow rearer, it is not a thing of pride that your people CANT communicate in English( yes, they can't not that they chose not to). Stop insulting our sensibilities ogbeni.

Nah we just don't suffer from post slavery/colonial insert B-word here complex like you do. We Fulani are well known for not being anyone's b!t@h. Hence the story of Penda Yoro. To us, the English language isn't more important than our beautiful language Pulaar/Fulfulde.

Keep being a slave though, while you are at it. Become my slave as well and fatten my cattle for me whilst I focus on my other job you sissy.

3 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

Nah we just don't suffer from post slavery/colonial insert B-word here complex like you do. We Fulani are well known for not being anyone's b!t@h. Hence the story of Penda Yoro. To us, the English language isn't more important than our beautiful language Pulaar/Fulfulde.

Keep being a slave though, while you are at it. Become my slave as well and fatten my cattle for me whilst I focus on my other job you sissy.

What are you even doing on the internet sef, you better go rub some cow dung on your head and do some primitive traditional dance while at it. You dunce.
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 10:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
django1:

What are you even doing on the internet sef, you better go rub some cow dung on your head and do some primitive traditional dance while at it. You dunce.

You forget that you are my slave eh? That's your job. You will do whatever I say fit my 21st century slave.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Ajuran: 3:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
Beware for those who debate Fulaman198, he will ban you if you disagree with him. grin

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 4:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
Ajuran:
Beware for those who debate Fulaman198, he will ban you if you disagree with him. grin

I don't ban people for disagreeing with me, I welcome debates. I only ban people who wish harm onto others

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Ajuran: 4:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
Fulaman198:

I don't ban people for disagreeing with me, I welcome debates. I only ban people who wish harm onto others

Dont lie to yourself. you know that nomad justice is swift and deadly grin
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by ArtanK(m): 7:03am On Feb 14, 2015
Fulaman snapped LOL

4 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 7:09am On Feb 14, 2015
Ajuran:
Fulaman198 look at her feet cheesy

You can't really see them

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Ajuran: 7:11am On Feb 14, 2015
Fulaman198:

You can't really see them

Yes you can, look through the socks my young lad

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 7:16am On Feb 14, 2015
Ajuran:

Yes you can, look through the socks my young lad

I know you are happy I posted that picture, I hope I have eased your pains and provided mastaarbattion material.

Its the least I can do, since I am recovering from the sexual abuse that was performed on me by E-soul

One moment as I put on my xray vision glasses. I am happy with that picture, whomever she is is darn hot as the Sahara.

Ooouf, nice legs and rear end

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Ajuran: 7:17am On Feb 14, 2015
Fulaman198:

One moment as I put on my xray vision glasses. I am happy with that picture, whomever she is is darn hot as the Sahara.

Ooouf, nice legs and rear end

Remember use lotion sparingly

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 7:19am On Feb 14, 2015
Ajuran:

Remember use lotion sparingly

Advice noted

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 7:21am On Feb 14, 2015
Ajuran:
Thats how all of Africa is except for Somalia(Somali), Ethiopia (Amaharic)

No
How about Tanzania-Swahili, Senegal-Wolof, most of Mali- Bambara, Rwanda-Kinyarwanda and some others?

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 7:29am On Feb 14, 2015
YoungBraniac:

U didn't get it right.
D question is : What is a Lingua-Franca?
This is a language that is adopted as a common language between speakers whose native languages are different.
What am saying is dat there should be a generally accepted, spoken, and understandable language by all the people residing in that particular country.
Take for example :
All Indians can speak nd understand hindi,
then what about Nigeria?

Dude, not all Indians speak and understand Hindi.
Ever heard of Tamil, Malayalam, Oriya etc? Those are all huge languages in their own rights, with speakers that run into the tens of Millions.
In some states of India like Orissa, Tamil-Nadu etc, Hindi is not even official. Hindi is just forced by the politically dominant Northern Indian elite class on the rest of the country as "Official"

India and Nigeria are in the same boat.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Ajuran: 7:35am On Feb 14, 2015
Bororojo:

No
How about Tanzania-Swahili, Senegal-Wolof, most of Mali- Bambara, Rwanda-Kinyarwanda and some others?

Those are not the official languages.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 14, 2015
Bororojo:

Dude, not all Indians speak and understand Hindi.
Ever heard of Tamil, Malayalam, Oriya etc? Those are all huge languages in their own rights, with speakers that run into the tens of Millions.
In some states of India like Orissa, Tamil-Nadu etc, Hindi is not even official. Hindi is just forced by the politically dominant Northern Indian elite class on the rest of the country as "Official"

India and Nigeria are in the same boat.
Okay
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 14, 2015
Ajuran:

Those are not the official languages.

Yes, they are. (With the possible exceptions of Bambara and Wolof).

These languages all have official status in their respective countries: Swahili (Tanzania), Kirundi (Burundi), Kinyarwanda (Rwanda), SiSwati (Swaziland), Sesotho (Lesotho).

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 5:18pm On Feb 14, 2015
Radoillo:

Yes, they are. (With the possible exceptions of Barbara and Wolof).

These languages all have official status in their respective countries: Swahili (Tanzania), Kirundi (Burundi), Kinyarwanda (Rwanda), SiSwati (Swaziland), Sesotho (Lesotho).

"In terms of usage, Wolof is the lingua franca and the most widely spoken language in Senegal, as a first or second language (80%)."

Not everyone in Senegal speaks French and I applaud them for being proud of their African heritage

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 5:20pm On Feb 14, 2015
French, which was introduced during the colonial period, was retained as the official language at independence and is used in government and formal education. Estimates of the number of people who actually speak French are low. Figures estimated in 1986 give a number of 386,000 speakers of French in Mali, derived from the numbers of school attendees.[1] This would mean roughly 21% of the population speak French, by 1986 figures, a number considerably lower than those who speak Bambara

So this shows that my brother Bororojo was right

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 14, 2015
l
Fulaman198:

"In terms of usage, Wolof is the lingua franca and the most widely spoken language in Senegal, as a first or second language (80%)."

This is well known to me. It is one thing for a language to have wide usage. it is another thing for that language to have official status. Wolof doesn't have official status in Senegal...yet. Their constitution still lists French as the official tongue, and Wolof as a majority language.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 14, 2015
Radoillo:
l

This is well known to me. It is one thing for a language to have wide usage. it is another thing for that language to have official status. Wolof doesn't have official status in Senegal...yet. Their constitution still lists French as the official tongue, and Wolof as a majority language.

True
Although always wonder what it is that these Francophone countries are waiting for.... they are all scared of what "mother France" will do.
If Nigeria was as lucky to have a Sole dominant African language like Wolof (Senegal), Bambara (Mali), Hausa (Niger), Etc, it would have been official since like loooooooong ago. 1960 sef.

3 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2015
Bororojo:

True
Although always wonder what it is that these Francophone countries are waiting for.... they are all scared of what "mother France" will do.
If Nigeria was as lucky to have a Sole dominant African language like Wolof (Senegal), Bambara (Mali), Hausa (Niger), Etc, it would have been official since like loooooooong ago. 1960 sef.

Indeed. The French did a 'good work' of 'frenchifying' the mentality of their African colonials. Even Senghor with all his 'negritude' stuff couldn't shrug off his 'Frenchness'.

But I also wonder at British ex-colonies like Ghana where one language (akan) is the native language of more than half of the population. One would expect them to at least have an arrangement where Akan has official status alongside English.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2015
Radoillo:
l

Yeah but this thread is about lingua francas right? Wolof is definitely the lingua franca of Senegal. Just like Bamakan (Bambara) being the lingua franca of Mali. I even think there are more Fulani (Fulfulde) speakers in Mali than French speakers, as Fulani are the second largest ethnicity in Mali
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2015
Bororojo:

True

Would be nice

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 6:42pm On Feb 14, 2015
Radoillo:

Indeed. The French did a 'good work' of 'frenchifying' the mentality of their African colonials. Even Senghor with all his 'negritude' stuff couldn't shrug off his 'Frenchness'.

But I also wonder at British ex-colonies like Ghana where one language (akan) is the native language of more than half of the population. One would expect them to at least have an arrangement where Akan has official status alongside English.

They should, but a lot of anglophone countries want to be British.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 14, 2015
Pidgin English is just our most convenient meeting point in Nigeria.

This what we need to adopt rather discouraging it.
Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 14, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yeah but this thread is about lingua francas right? Wolof is definitely the lingua franca of Senegal. Just like Bamakan (Bambara) being the lingua franca of Mali. I even think there are more Fulani (Fulfulde) speakers in Mali than French speakers, as Fulani are the second largest ethnicity in Mali

Yea, the thread is about lingua francas. And I don't disagree that Wolof is a lingua franca. Hausa is even a lingua franca.

My earlier comment was not really about the thread's topic. It was specifically addressed to Ajuran who claimed that none of the languages on Bororojo's list was an official language.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? by Fulaman198(m): 7:37pm On Feb 14, 2015
Radoillo:

Yea, the thread is about lingua francas. And I don't disagree that Wolof is a lingua franca. Hausa is even a lingua franca.

My earlier comment was not really about the thread's topic. It was specifically addressed to Ajuran who claimed that none of the languages on Bororojo's list was an official language.

Don't mind the troll he's only here for the lols

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Threatens To ‘Arrest’ Magistrate / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.