Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? (2083 Views)

Pls Help! I'm In A Religious Dilemma (I Don't Know Where I Stand Religious Wise) / Pastor Curses Anybody Who Has Sex On Valentine's Day / DAVID OYEDEPO IS A RELIGIOUS BIGOT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 12:32am On Feb 11, 2015
Hy pple, Iv bin in an argument wit a male frnd abt wt valentine's day is all abt. He says his religion (Islam) is against it nd he quoted dz. "religious ceremonies of which Allah Says (which means):
'To each among you, We have prescribed a law and a clear
way' [Quran 5:48] and 'For every nation We have ordained
religious ceremonies which they must follow. In Islam we only av 2 religious ceremonies; Ileya n itunu awe." I tried telln him valentine's day isn't a religious ceremony. He insists dt it is since it came abt cos of a catholic priest. I told him if its religious, dere shld b public holiday 4it jst lyk Christmas, Easter, Ileya nd d rest. He replied dt some countries declare it as a public holiday. Dn he quoted dz again "And be not
as those who divided and differed among themselves after
the clear proofs had come to them. It is they for whom
there is an awful torment. " [Quran 3:105]". My pple, abeg wts ur take on dis. Dis z d 1st tym I'll b hearing dt Islam z against it. And is it rily a religious celebration/ceremony?...muslims here, pls enlighten me abt dz if it z true...tnx
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Bekwarra(m): 2:26am On Feb 11, 2015
Islam is against everything good and western

1 Like

Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by OgologoDimkpa: 8:17am On Feb 11, 2015
Bekwarra:
Well said!
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 11:19am On Feb 11, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
Well said!
. U both dnt hv 2talk lyk dz na
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 17, 2015
Hey Allsmyles i don't av access to that email, segkaa@gmail.com
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 6:39am On Jul 13, 2015
op u av been/will be celebrating dat valentine with who?(,bf) i guess. u shd knw dat bf/gf things is nt allowed in islam. celebration of val. most esp. between two unmarried people will lead to nthing but immorality.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 1:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
op u av been/will be celebrating dat valentine with who?(,bf) i guess. u shd knw dat bf/gf things is nt allowed in islam. celebration of val. most esp. between two unmarried people will lead to nthing but immorality.
Valentine's day is nt nd shld nt necesarily b spent wit a lover. Dere re definitly oda ways nd pple to spend it wit
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

Valentine's day is nt nd shld nt necesarily b spent wit a lover. Dere re definitly oda ways nd pple to spend it wit
can u let me knw such oda WAYS
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 2:51pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
can u let me knw such oda WAYS
Ur love can be channeled to d less privileged ones...one of d ways
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 3:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

nice one, i was expecting dat, how many times av u visited d less privileged in d past years on val day? answer with d fear of God.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:
The love referred to in this festival ever since the Christians revived it is romantic love outside the framework of marriage. The result of that is the spread of fornication and immorality. Hence, the Christian clergy opposed it at some stage and abolished it, then it came back again.
Some people may wonder, and say: “ You mean to deprive us of love, but in this day and age we express our feelings and emotions - what is so wrong with that? ” We say:
Firstly: It is a mistake to confuse what they call the day with what the real intentions are behind it. The love referred to on this day is romantic love, taking mistresses and lovers, boyfriends and girlfriends. It is known to be a day of promiscuity and sex for them, with no restraints or restrictions… They are not talking of pure love between a man and his wife or a woman and her husband, or at least they do not distinguish between the legitimate love in the relationship between husband and wife, and the forbidden love of mistresses and lovers. This festival for them is a means for everyone to express love.
Secondly: Expression of feelings and emotions is not a justification for the Muslim to allocate a day for celebration based on his own thoughts and ideas, and to call it a festival, or make it like a festival or ‘Eed. So how about when it is one of the festivals of the non-Muslims? In Islam, a husband loves his wife throughout the year, and he expresses that love towards her with gifts, in verse and in prose, in letters and in other ways, throughout the years - not just on one day of the year.
Thirdly: There is no religion which encourages its followers to love and care for one another more than Islam does. This applies at all times and in all circumstances, not just on one particular day. Indeed, Islam encourages us to express our emotions and love at all times.
What these people think, that love before marriage is a good thing, is wrong, as has been proven in studies and by real-life experience. So, how can we believe that Valentine's Day is of any benefit to Muslims? The truth is that it is a call for more permissiveness and immorality, and the forming of forbidden relationships. The husband who sincerely loves his wife does not need this holiday to remind him of his love. He expresses his love for his wife at all times and on all occasions.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

The story of the Festival of Love (Valentine's
Day)
The Festival of Love was one of the festivals of
the pagan Romans, when paganism was the
prevalent religion of the Romans more than
seventeen centuries ago. In the pagan Roman
concept, it was an expression of "spiritual love".
There were myths associated with this pagan
festival of the Romans, which persisted with
their Christian heirs. Among the most famous of
these myths was the Roman belief that Romulus,
the founder of Rome, was suckled one day by a
she-wolf, which gave him strength and wisdom.
The Romans used to celebrate this event in mid-
February each year with a big festival. One of
the rituals of this festival was the sacrifice of
a dog and a goat. Two strong and muscular
youths would daub the blood of the dog and goat
onto their bodies, and then they would wash the
blood away with milk. After that there would be
a great parade, with these two youths at its
head, which would go about the streets. The two
youths would have pieces of leather with which
they would hit everyone who crossed their path.
The Roman women would welcome these blows,
because they believed that they could prevent
or cure infertility.

Firstly: That its origins lie in the pagan beliefs
of the Romans, where it was an expression of
the spiritual love of the idols which they used to
worship instead of Allaah. Whoever celebrates it
is celebrating an occasion of Shirk (associating
others with Allaah Almighty) on which the idols
are venerated. Allaah Says (what means):
"Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship)
with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise
to him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for
the polytheists there are no helpers." [Quran
5:72]

Secondly: That the development of this festival
among the Romans was connected to myths and
legends which no sound mind can accept, let
alone the mind of the Muslim who believes in
Allaah and His Messengers may Allaah exalt
their mention. Can anyone of sound mind believe
that a she-wolf suckled the founder of the city
of Rome and gave him strength and wisdom?
Moreover, these myths go against the belief of
the Muslim because the One Who bestows
strength and wisdom is the Creator, the
Glorified and Exalted, not the milk of a she-
wolf! The same applies to the myth that their
idols could protect them from evil or keep wolves
away from their flocks.

This festival was denounced by the
Christian clergy in Italy, the bastion of
Catholicism, because it was spreading bad
attitudes and having an adverse effect on the
minds of young men and women.
So, it is better for the Muslims to reject it, warn
others against it and to fulfill their duty
towards it of enjoining what is good and
forbidding what is evil.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 3:19pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bekwarra:

This festival was denounced by the
Christian clergy in Italy, the bastion of
Catholicism, because it was spreading bad
attitudes and having an adverse effect on the
minds of young men and women.
So, it is better for the Muslims to reject it, warn
others against it and to fulfill their duty
towards it of enjoining what is good and
forbidding what is evil.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ahmed4002:

The story of the Festival of Love (Valentine's Day) The Festival of Love was one of the festivals of the pagan Romans, when paganism was the prevalent religion of the Romans more than seventeen centuries ago. In the pagan Roman concept, it was an expression of "spiritual love". There were myths associated with this pagan festival of the Romans, which persisted with their Christian heirs. Among the most famous of these myths was the Roman belief that Romulus, the founder of Rome, was suckled one day by a she-wolf, which gave him strength and wisdom. The Romans used to celebrate this event in mid- February each year with a big festival. One of the rituals of this festival was the sacrifice of a dog and a goat. Two strong and muscular youths would daub the blood of the dog and goat onto their bodies, and then they would wash the blood away with milk. After that there would be a great parade, with these two youths at its head, which would go about the streets. The two youths would have pieces of leather with which they would hit everyone who crossed their path. The Roman women would welcome these blows, because they believed that they could prevent or cure infertility.
Firstly: That its origins lie in the pagan beliefs of the Romans, where it was an expression of the spiritual love of the idols which they used to worship instead of Allaah. Whoever celebrates it is celebrating an occasion of Shirk (associating others with Allaah Almighty) on which the idols are venerated. Allaah Says (what means): "Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise to him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the polytheists there are no helpers." [Quran 5:72]

Secondly: That the development of this festival among the Romans was connected to myths and legends which no sound mind can accept, let alone the mind of the Muslim who believes in Allaah and His Messengers may Allaah exalt their mention. Can anyone of sound mind believe that a she-wolf suckled the founder of the city of Rome and gave him strength and wisdom? Moreover, these myths go against the belief of the Muslim because the One Who bestows strength and wisdom is the Creator, the Glorified and Exalted, not the milk of a she- wolf! The same applies to the myth that their idols could protect them from evil or keep wolves away from their flocks.
This festival was denounced by the Christian clergy in Italy, the bastion of Catholicism, because it was spreading bad attitudes and having an adverse effect on the minds of young men and women. So, it is better for the Muslims to reject it, warn others against it and to fulfill their duty towards it of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil.
Ur point pls
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:
Ur point pls
because it was spreading bad attitudes and having an adverse effect on the minds of young men and women. So, it is better for the Muslims to reject it, warn others against it and to fulfill their duty towards it of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil.
since you can't read the whole history. that should help
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
nice one, i was expecting dat, how many times av u visited d less privileged in d past years on val day? answer with d fear of God.
Once, nd I hv neva celebrated it wit a bf either. I spend most of val's day @home wit my family. So?...moreover, dz isn't abt me
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ahmed4002:

because it was spreading bad attitudes and
having an adverse effect on the minds of young
men and women. So, it is better for the Muslims
to reject it, warn others against it and to fulfill
their duty towards it of enjoining what is good
and forbidding what is evil.

since you can't read the whole history.
that should help
I skimmed tru it, I still dnt gt it. I get d fact d Islam is against it bt did u read my frnd's reasons @all?
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 4:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

I skimmed tru it, I still dnt gt it. I get d fact d Islam is against it bt did u read my frnd's reasons @all?

I did.

The result of that is the spread of fornication and immorality.

It is a mistake to confuse what they call the day with what the real intentions are behind it. The love referred to on this day is romantic love, taking mistresses and lovers, boyfriends and girlfriends.

It is known to be a day of promiscuity and sex for them, with no restraints or restrictions.

Expression of feelings and emotions is
not a justification for the Muslim to allocate a
day for celebration based on his own thoughts
and ideas, and to call it a festival, or make it
like a festival or ‘Eed.

islam encourage to love at all times and in
all circumstances, not just on one particular day.

So, how can we believe that Valentine's Day is of
any benefit to Muslims?
The truth is that it is a call for more permissiveness and immorality, and the forming of forbidden relationships.

The husband who sincerely loves his wife does not
need this holiday to remind him of his love. He
expresses his love for his wife at all times and on
all occasions.

1 Like

Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

Once, nd I hv neva celebrated it wit a bf either. I spend most of val's day @home wit my family. So?...moreover, dz isn't abt me
woah, dat kul. av u been posted
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
woah, dat kul. av u been posted
No, nt yt. Wt re u drivin @?
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 4:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ahmed4002:

I did.

The result of that is the spread of fornication and immorality.

It is a mistake to confuse what they call the day with what the real intentions are behind it. The love referred to on this day is romantic love, taking mistresses and lovers, boyfriends and girlfriends.

It is known to be a day of promiscuity and sex for them, with no restraints or restrictions.

Expression of feelings and emotions is
not a justification for the Muslim to allocate a
day for celebration based on his own thoughts
and ideas, and to call it a festival, or make it
like a festival or ‘Eed.

islam encourage to love at all times and in
all circumstances, not just on one particular day.

So, how can we believe that Valentine's Day is of
any benefit to Muslims?
The truth is that it is a call for more permissiveness and immorality, and the forming of forbidden relationships.

The husband who sincerely loves his wife does not
need this holiday to remind him of his love. He
expresses his love for his wife at all times and on
all occasions.
A day shldnt b piked to show love to odas, I agree wit dt. Nd mind u, nt eveyr1 celebrates or take val's day to be wt u mentioned. I dnt tink u rily undastnd d story behind St. Valentine's day
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Ahmed4002(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

A day shldnt b piked to show love to odas, I agree wit dt. Nd mind u, nt eveyr1 celebrates or take val's day to be wt u mentioned. I dnt tink u rily undastnd d story behind St. Valentine's day

read the history of st valentine that I posted earlier with the quranic injunction.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 5:12pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:
No, nt yt. Wt re u drivin @?
nthing absolutely.1love #probitas doctrina
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 6:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
nthing absolutely.1love #probitas doctrina
I actually tot u wntd to talk abt d topic bt its all gud sha. #probitas doctrina
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Haywhymido(m): 7:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
Allsmyles:

I actually tot u wntd to talk abt d topic bt its all gud sha. #probitas doctrina
ah ah, av i nt talk abt it enuff, moreover ahmed as done justice to it.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by Allsmyles(f): 10:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
Haywhymido:
ah ah, av i nt talk abt it enuff, moreover ahmed as done justice to it.
If u say so
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by lesliejay(m): 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
Ahmed4002:

because it was spreading bad attitudes and
having an adverse effect on the minds of young
men and women. So, it is better for the Muslims
to reject it, warn others against it and to fulfill
their duty towards it of enjoining what is good
and forbidding what is evil.

since you can't read the whole history.
that should help
Ahmed, Val's day is a day of sharing love to everyone on earth. And when u said "having a adverse effect on the minds of young men and women" it is their choice. You can't choose a path for someone and if you reject it as a Muslim, other Muslims are cool with it cause they understand what they say "share the love". So bro, stop seeing things the other way round. Look through the same window.
Re: Is Valentine's Day A Religious Ceremony And Is Islam Against It? by lesliejay(m): 4:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
Allsmyles:

If u say so
There ain't no justice to this topic. We're just making things clear hear and neither you nor ahmed has made any point to it.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Looking For The Fruit Of The Womb? / Double Portion Crusade With Pastor W.F. Kumuyi In Rivers State / VIDEO OF Church Where People Are Receiving '666', The Mark Of 'antichrist'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.