Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas (10083 Views)

Inuwa Abdul-Kadir: "El-rufai Threatened To Beat Me Up" APC Vice Chairman Says / Those Calling For Saraki’s Resignation Are Myopic, Ignorant – APC / Deleted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by Ovamboland(m): 6:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
kokosheen:

thanks.. made my work easier

we currently don't produce CNGs though..

Yes it is produced by Green Fuel in Sango-Otta Ogun state, mentioned that several times in earlier post

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by azimibraun: 6:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
I tot it was reasonable post.. Yeye dey smell.

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by kokosheen(m): 6:45pm On Feb 12, 2015
Ovamboland:

Yes it is produced by Green Fuel in Sango-Otta Ogun state, mentioned that several times in earlier post

thats interesting.. skipped to the last post. will re-read.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by kokosheen(m): 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2015
Ovamboland:

It is obvious in your submission that you have allowed your preference or dislike for a certain candidates becloud your professional judgment in this matter. Your statements about conceptual FEED etc. show that you’re exposed to how engineering projects are conducted. To be honest there is hardly any engineering judgment or decision that is all positive and gives only advantages without certain inherent drawbacks. The expertise is to make optimum judgment that best tackles the peculiar local problems and sideline or solve as many problems as possible not all. Some of these problems in the Nigerian context include:
1. Lack of adequate gas delivery framework to most parts of the country
2. Failure of government to guarantee safety of the existing long distance pipelines
3. Dearth of local maintenance capability for maintenance of the huge gas turbines in large IPPs as opposed to comparatively efficient Gas engines (reciprocating) that can be deployed in the small IPP’s
4. Long gestation period to realize the huge power projects 3 – 5 years (many 200MW + projects initiated and started under OBJ before 2007 are still uncompleted 7 years after) as opposed to about 1 year for small projects construction of which can be given to several contractors simultaneously as required technical input is far lower.
5. The time to install and rig high tension power lines cost of huge pylons, heavy duty switch gears, transformers, sub-stations 33,000 KVA to 11,000 KVA etc
In the light of the above, the novelty of the idea to take for instance 100 small towns for whom 10MW will be a miracle off the grid and concentrate production from huge plants like Egbin to Lagos and nearby all within 1 year.
The debate should be about the relative cost of generation per KW.h as opposed to the cost of generation in large plants and transmission cost. Also consider the gestation period of each project, why consign millions of Nigerians to 2 -3 more years of darkness while waiting for gas pipelines and grid transmission? You think darkness is cheaper than a bit more expensive power? The mega projects must go on but you can leap frog development like people who mean business. By the time the grid power is available some towns might have grown beyond the token 10MW and need more power with investments in processing agricultural produce, meat packing, frozen food which is non-existent at this time. Private investors might even establish plants and sell power if the government develops the gas delivery infrastructure utilizing railway and trucking in complementary fashion.
A friend who owns and runs a factory told me his monthly Diesel cost topped 3 million monthly until shell gas pipeline ran close to his factory. Now he spends about 800,000 naira monthly purchasing same power from IPP’s with his Diesel gen only as occasional back-up.
Off-grid power generation is the new direction in power systems worldwide with the development of micro-turbines that individuals can generate power in their home cheaply. This is not feasible now in Nigeria as the infrastructure for gas delivery in homes is absent.

The possibilities are endless if you open your mind, leave your high horse and leave blind criticism of a man who has a plan as opposed to support for one who is yet to articulate any plan.

Just read this. Good points you have here but unfortunately the people who need to work on a solution like this would never support it (be APC or PDP) because it limits what they can steal.

Thanks for the education about the CNG production in Sango Ota. I'm interested in knowing how they get their feed gas? any idea?

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 6:55pm On Feb 12, 2015
kokosheen:

you don't even know the difference between CNG & LPG and you say you know a bit? Haba, not everyone on this forum is a novice you know!!!

Senior friend don't be angry with me.

kokosheen:

thats interesting.. skipped to the last post. will re-read.

Not just green fuels, Luxxor gas also in Sango and Oando at Ilasamaja. If you wan't numbers I could give you grin (Just a novice helping a senior friend out...I'm nice like that).

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 12, 2015
What do you expect from a professor who doesn't have a doctarate degree?

Like buhari, like osinbajo

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
Ovamboland:

I am really glad this thread though not mine has really interested you.

I don't have all the actual answers to your questions but i i have cited the case of my friend who owns an runs a factory with his report of huge savings when gas was available close to his factory.

I agree there is[b] significant cost associated with trucking CNG[/b] but that can be somewhat reduced by savings from need for more high tension cables and sub-stations. Just key in to the existing distribution network in the town with maybe minor modifications.

Currently if you have observed several Green fuel CNG trucks with 8 long bottles can be seen on Lagos-Ibadan expressway delivering CNG from Sango –Otta to some factories in Ibadan. If it is not more cost effective than diesel they will go to the extent of trucking it in all the way.

I have done calculation in the past about the consumption of different size of gas generators and the capacity of each CNG truck, I will furnish it here when I can find it.

With serious governance and proper monitoring of the pipelines, maybe the lines can be extended from Sagamu junction to Ibadan, from Bonny to PH – Aba- Enugu and Uyo- Calabar to Obudu – Jalingo. Then the distance covered by the trucks can be reduced as the compression plants can be established at the farthest reach of the pipelines. By the time the pipelines reach the Northern towns trucking will only be necessary at even shorter distance to towns away from the pipeline route. If anything happens to the grid, those towns will not be without power at all as they can generate off-grid and consume locally. The micro plants will also be useful to meet peaking demands.

I repeat it is more expensive to keep those people in the said 100 towns without power for the next 3 - 5 years while waiting to realize the mega plants, heavy duty transmission and pipeline they keep saying today is prone to vandalisation.

Bros, from the way you post I can tell you know what you're saying to a large extent, just that your perspective is skewed. You feel the need to present this current govt as not doing enough. Let's forget about political parties for a bit and just talk, one guy to another grin

As at 2013, the price per mmscf of Natural gas was USD 1.5 for the power sector(it's USD3.3 from Jan 1 this year), for CNG do you know the cost? USD7.5 base price(this doesn't include trucking and decompression costs). Using this years gas costs, the fuels component of the tariffs if you use CNG is more than double, who bears the costs? Tariffs are already low enough already, so it isn't financially feasible to use CNG unless you're ready for a MAJOR increase in tariffs.

I wonder what the unit price for the Lagos state plants are, I can bet you, it would be more that NGN 20 per Kwh (I'm being conservative here). The tariff has always been too low in Nigeria, I have read world bank reports as far back as the 80's saying that the Nigerian govt's control of tariffs was a major factor killing the NESI. You might want to say if there is power people will pay right? where will the money to buy said CNG and put said plants come from? No lender will give you money for a project without ensuring they will make profit. Classic case of the Chicken and the egg.

P.S. All the things I highlighted in bold all point to the fact that you assume the gas is there for the taking...not true. Building pipelines is one thing, having gas to transport is another thing entirely, they are interrelated yes but not one and the same.

4 Likes

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 7:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
Let's discuss gas. The price of gas-to- power was earlier increased from $0.5 cents per mcf to $1 in 2010. It was further increased to $1.50 by 2011 and $3.2 ($2.5 with 0.8 cents transportaton charge) from Jan 1 2015. as far back as 2011, the industrial sector was paying close to 3 dollars for gas(more than double the gas to power prices for PHCN plants), as an IOC producing gas, who would you rather sell to? the industries using gas or govt power plants(who would still owe you money, despite the dirt cheap prices). We're not even considering the option of gas flaring o.

It has always been cheaper for the oil companies to flare gas than develop the infrastructure to clean, compress and transport it for use locally because of the tariffs,Then we now have LNG (which BTW is in the region of $10 per mmscf). So before govt woke up there was very little incentive for the oil companies to supply gas to the local sector, what we're seeing is a govt that is trying to get these companies to invest in the sector with their own money. This necessitated the increasing of gas prices which will always mean an increasing in electricity tariffs since fuels are a passthrough in power generation. The unions and civil society have fought govt at every step of the way.
Now, at $3.30 per mmscf, it's still some 25% cheaper for power plants to buy gas than it is for industries (such as your friend in Sango) and so some companies will still avoid giving the gencos gas, do you know what govt did? they put in place something called the domestic supply obligation, making it compulsory for all holders of oil licenses to supply a certain amount of gas to the power sector before they can supply other sectors. The gas story is really complicated but I hope you can see the picture I'm trying to paint for you? Politicians need to stay away from these areas and let the pros do the talking.

I would recommend you read the power sector roadmap and it's revisions if you want a full picture there's a lot more to things than we see.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by pheliciti: 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2015
OP,
You could have made your points without attacking the person or his religious predilection. Unnecessary abuse diverts from a good discussion.

I'm not an energy expert but i consume energy and therefore follow the trends in the sector, trends which points to fallacies in your post.

1. First point of correction is that Prof gave the modular plant option as a short term fix. That is never meant to be the long term solution to energy problem.

2. He always states clearly that the gas infrastructure is the biggest factor and that would take time to fix but the modular option is one of the alternatives whilst work goes on on the gas infrastructure

3. The modular system, clearly is for captive areas i.e. industrial parks to sustain SMEs mainly. You should listen to him again without any prejudice.

4. About modularity, it is working in Lagos and i have also seen it work in countries like Lebanon, with acute energy shortages like ours. Note again that these are short term palliatives

5. On the Prof himself, from a personal assessment over time, i formed the view that he is one of the most brilliant Nigerians around. At a certain level of experience in professional life, functional skills give way to powers of analysis and visioning. Hence, an engineer will contribute meaningfully to discussions on medicine on the peripheral and likewise a lawyer can discuss energy. Point out the areas of disagreement and do not ask anybody to keep quiet- that is intelluctally churlish.
Don't forget that the first IPP in Nigeria was done when a lawyer, late Bola Ige (SAN) was Minister of Power, albeit the project was carried out by Lagos State governed then by an accountant.
Please rest assured that the energy problems we have are not borne out of lack of engineers- the Power Reform Roadmap will show you there is a plan. However, the main problem is the lack of execution skill or will which can be bridged when we have serious people in govt.

A pointer, or poser to you is that, if we are currently doing well on Power, how come we are still tottering on the verge of 4,500 MW when as of August 2010, the date of the Power Reform Roadmap we were generating about the same 4,500 MW? Please read the document and confirm for yourself.

Why then inspite of the clear Roadmap, have we not been able to add extra MWs for 5 years and we are stuck where the current President met generation or even less?

2 Likes

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by bodejohn(m): 12:15am On Feb 13, 2015
Guys, I think a special thread like this should be encouraged for professionals to discuss without irrational interjections by political apologists.

I mentioned on a thread about a year ago that power generation just like other major infrastructure requires careful planning, time and well thought execution.

From my experience as an electrical engineer, the cost of constant electricity is not cheap, no company in Nigeria can break even providing stable power with the current tariffs but we cannot raise the cost without providing the commodity, we have to strike a balance, if Nigerians want power, they should be ready to pay for it.

Now to the prof's idea, there is a term in engineering called BVOA, best value option analysis. For every engineering challenge, there will be a couple of options, during conceptual and feasibility studies, numbers are assigned to each element in the all the options after which the option with the best value will be designed and installed.

There is technically no bad idea in engineering, it might just have a negative value in the terms of cost and delivery time. The best option for Ibadan might be the worst solution for Abuja or Sokoto.

Scaled down power plants might make some sense if you consider delivery time and less complexity in installation but might be crazy in terms of cost. For example, I have a solar generation plant that serves only my house, but it costs about the same amount to build it verus buying a transformer with accessories and installing for a community of about 300 houses. It might not be completely stupid not to wait for the community to take a year to contribute the needed funds if I want to enjoy uninterrupted power in few weeks.

We need our government to come up with blue prints of how exactly their goals will be met so we can constructively critic it like it has been done by the professionals above rather than a blanket promise of 10,000MW at the beginning of each year.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by onagoodday1: 12:32am On Feb 13, 2015
J12:
@Op please change his name to Osinbajo from Asinbajo

Anyways, it is no longer news that the APC presidential team is made up of two ignorant old men.

1. First of all, the APC manifesto looks like a love letter. It is utterly baseless and filled with bogus promises. BusinessDay calculated how much it would cost to implement the budget and it amounted to 53 trillion in the next four years. The APC "technocrats" have not told us where the money would come from. In one of his columns, Tinubu suggested that the APC will print money to implement their programs - that means, the APC wants to print about 20 trillion naira over the next four years. . .

2. Buhari said he will stabilise crude oil prices - another bogus and jocular statement that reeks of ignorance and mental instability

3. Buhari said he will a refinery in Lagos - Dangote's refinery in Lagos will begin operations in 2017.

4. Buhari wants to bring back Nigeria airways under a federal government management - another bad idea judging from history

Buhari and Osinbajo are out of touch with globalization and current economic, financial and government practices.

Voting for them will be a very big mistake
No wonder..now i know why they are dodging debtes

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by onagoodday1: 12:36am On Feb 13, 2015
pheliciti:
OP,
You could have made your points without attacking the person or his religious predilection. Unnecessary abuse diverts from a good discussion.

I'm not an energy expert but i consume energy and therefore follow the trends in the sector, trends which points to fallacies in your post.

1. First point of correction is that Prof gave the modular plant option as a short term fix. That is never meant to be the long term solution to energy problem.

2. He always states clearly that the gas infrastructure is the biggest factor and that would take time to fix but the modular option is one of the alternatives whilst work goes on on the gas infrastructure

3. The modular system, clearly is for captive areas i.e. industrial parks to sustain SMEs mainly. You should listen to him again without any prejudice.

4. About modularity, it is working in Lagos and i have also seen it work in countries like Lebanon, with acute energy shortages like ours. Note again that these are short term palliatives

5. On the Prof himself, from a personal assessment over time, i formed the view that he is one of the most brilliant Nigerians around. At a certain level of experience in professional life, functional skills give way to powers of analysis and visioning. Hence, an engineer will contribute meaningfully to discussions on medicine on the peripheral and likewise a lawyer can discuss energy. Point out the areas of disagreement and do not ask anybody to keep quiet- that is intelluctally churlish.
Don't forget that the first IPP in Nigeria was done when a lawyer, late Bola Ige (SAN) was Minister of Power, albeit the project was carried out by Lagos State governed then by an accountant.
Please rest assured that the energy problems we have are not borne out of lack of engineers- the Power Reform Roadmap will show you there is a plan. However, the main problem is the lack of execution skill or will which can be bridged when we have serious people in govt.

A pointer, or poser to you is that, if we are currently doing well on Power, how come we are still tottering on the verge of 4,500 MW when as of August 2010, the date of the Power Reform Roadmap we were generating about the same 4,500 MW? Please read the document and confirm for yourself.

Why then inspite of the clear Roadmap, have we not been able to add extra MWs for 5 years and we are stuck where the current President met generation or even less?
..and I ask again....is osinbanjo the president?

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 13, 2015
Ovamboland:

Op your analysis is wrong there is something called CNG (compressed natural gas) supplied by trucks from Sango-otta,Ogun state to factories in Ibadan and to Lagos IPPs in Akute

Such plants are quick to deliver once the basic dsign is done it can be adapted with detailing to different locations and constructed and commissioned in 1 year maximum, imagine towns like Ikire, Umudike, Kotangora, Aramoko, having 10MW plants each with 320Bn naira only, 100 small towns will have constant power so farmers, artisans, and produce processing can be started without waiting for laying expensive and time consuming pipelines and high tension cables and step down transformers.

The professors idea is actually a brillant quick fix to provide power quickly country wide while waiting for the natural gas pipeline reaches the towns and then you can such town off truck supply and shorten the CNG transport distance by compressing gas at the nearest reach of the pipeline. This can continue until the national grid pipeline network reaches at least the towns and cities and the cost of compression and trucking will stop. This will be far cheaper than petrol and diesel generator we currently depend on.

I should know because i prepared a technical bid for the design and construction one of the Lagos IPPs.

As regards the cost, a small plant will cost a bit more than a larger plant simply because of economy of scale, simple economics, but in the context of the decentralized plan, you will make up from savings on transmission cost over long distances, heavy duty switches, circuit breakers and transformers. And minister of power just this week announced that he needs $2Billion to generate 1 MW!!!

Always do your research very well before you riducle yourself in a public forum

I don't know about the technical details and all that but let's talk numbers a little

2013 Bauchi state initiated plans to build a 140MW powerplant for $201m to be completed in 9months . Dollar was still at 165 or less.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/10/12/bauchi-to-build-140-mw-plant-for-power-supply/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

$201m/140 = $1.436m = N237m per mw

Now lagos' ipp is N3.2b/10mw which equates to 320m per mw

Notice I have 9months in bold and it's not executed by the FG, the only way Lagos ipp would be better is if it's running cost is cheaper.

3 Likes

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by temi4fash(m): 7:45am On Feb 13, 2015
netotse:
Let's discuss gas. The price of gas-to- power was earlier increased from $0.5 cents per mcf to $1 in 2010. It was further increased to $1.50 by 2011 and $3.2 ($2.5 with 0.8 cents transportaton charge) from Jan 1 2015. as far back as 2011, the industrial sector was paying close to 3 dollars for gas(more than double the gas to power prices for PHCN plants), as an IOC producing gas, who would you rather sell to? the industries using gas or govt power plants(who would still owe you money, despite the dirt cheap prices). We're not even considering the option of gas flaring o.

It has always been cheaper for the oil companies to flare gas than develop the infrastructure to clean, compress and transport it for use locally because of the tariffs,Then we now have LNG (which BTW is in the region of $10 per mmscf). So before govt woke up there was very little incentive for the oil companies to supply gas to the local sector, what we're seeing is a govt that is trying to get these companies to invest in the sector with their own money. This necessitated the increasing of gas prices which will always mean an increasing in electricity tariffs since fuels are a passthrough in power generation. The unions and civil society have fought govt at every step of the way.
Now, at $3.30 per mmscf, it's still some 25% cheaper for power plants to buy gas than it is for industries (such as your friend in Sango) and so some companies will still avoid giving the gencos gas, do you know what govt did? they put in place something called the domestic supply obligation, making it compulsory for all holders of oil licenses to supply a certain amount of gas to the power sector before they can supply other sectors. The gas story is really complicated but I hope you can see the picture I'm trying to paint for you? Politicians need to stay away from these areas and let the pros do the talking.

I would recommend you read the power sector roadmap and it's revisions if you want a full picture there's a lot more to things than we see.

Boss.. Can you help we upcoming engineers and reduce the abbreviations.

Many thanks. .. hope you are good?
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 9:43am On Feb 13, 2015
temi4fash:

Boss.. Can you help we upcoming engineers and reduce the abbreviations.

Many thanks. .. hope you are good?

Hey how's things?...no vex, na over excitement cause am, been a while since I've seen people display that much knowledge of the power sector online.

mmscf (called em em scuff) is million standard cubic feet per day, the scf is the common measure of gas in use in naija.
IOC is international oil company.

Any other thing you'd like me to expatiate?

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 9:58am On Feb 13, 2015
pheliciti:
OP,

Boss...gas is a major problem, the prof does not mention how he plans to fix this, every single thing he says points to only one thing, tariffs will go up in a major way, this still brings us back to the chicken and the egg, which comes first?

As per the bolded, you need to read the revisions to the roadmap to understand the obstacles, A major place where they missed targets was with the gas projects, those have been a headache (In 2013 I heard a gas developers say point blank that he wasn't interested in giving gov't projects gas as long as the price wasn't close to $4 per mmscf). Transmission has been another headache, they are looking for money to invest in the sector

do you have any idea how many vandalism incidents we've had on gas pipelines this year alone? where you aware when the ELPS was blown up with dynamite in 20 different places (this was in 2013)? A lot still needs to be done, I agree whole heartedly with that but mennnn I give it the the taskforce guys, they have put in work.

I haven't heard PYO talk, but I don't doubt his intelligence (the dude is a SAN for crying out loud), that said, as far as power is concerned, his solutions show at best a half understanding of the issues at play.

ELPS is the Escravos Lagos Pipeline, it brings gas from Warri to Lagos and is responsible for gas supply to most of the power plants(and industries) in the west up to the west african gas pipeline.

1 Like

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 10:18am On Feb 13, 2015
bodejohn:
Guys, I think a special thread like this should be encouraged for professionals to discuss without irrational interjections by political apologists.

I mentioned on a thread about a year ago that power generation just like other major infrastructure requires careful planning, time and well thought execution.

From my experience as an electrical engineer, the cost of constant electricity is not cheap, no company in Nigeria can break even providing stable power with the current tariffs but we cannot raise the cost without providing the commodity, we have to strike a balance, if Nigerians want power, they should be ready to pay for it.

Now to the prof's idea, there is a term in engineering called BVOA, best value option analysis. For every engineering challenge, there will be a couple of options, during conceptual and feasibility studies, numbers are assigned to each element in the all the options after which the option with the best value will be designed and installed.

There is technically no bad idea in engineering, it might just have a negative value in the terms of cost and delivery time. The best option for Ibadan might be the worst solution for Abuja or Sokoto.

Scaled down power plants might make some sense if you consider delivery time and less complexity in installation but might be crazy in terms of cost. For example, I have a solar generation plant that serves only my house, but it costs about the same amount to build it verus buying a transformer with accessories and installing for a community of about 300 houses. It might not be completely stupid not to wait for the community to take a year to contribute the needed funds if I want to enjoy uninterrupted power in few weeks.

We need our government to come up with blue prints of how exactly their goals will be met so we can constructively critic it like it has been done by the professionals above rather than a blanket promise of 10,000MW at the beginning of each year.

Spot on, the prof's idea is not without merit to be honest, taking generation closer to the load centres but like you ask is it the best value option? I dont think gov't should spend money on that, if private companies can sort out the economics of such ideas, let them do it. Govt should spend it's money on things what would have greater impact.

You're right about tariffs not being able to support investment, that's why govt raised industrial tariffs in Jan but delayed the residential for 6 months. It would have taken something in the region of 10 years at the least to break even at previous tariff levels.

Bros this your solar setup, is it in naija? 300 houses ke? na mansion you dey power? what's the capacity?

2 Likes

Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by kaboninc(m): 11:56am On Feb 13, 2015
netotse:

Spot on, the prof's idea is not without merit to be honest, taking generation closer to the load centres but like you ask is it the best value option? I dont think gov't should spend money on that, if private companies can sort out the economics of such ideas, let them do it. Govt should spend it's money on things what would have greater impact.

You're right about tariffs not being able to support investment, that's why govt raised industrial tariffs in Jan but delayed the residential for 6 months. It would have taken something in the region of 10 years at the least to break even at previous tariff levels.

Bros this your solar setup, is it in naija? 300 houses ke? na mansion you dey power? what's the capacity?

If you were to be appointed as a Minster of Power, or Minister of Energy (I know we do not have that portfolio now) what would you do differently?

Do you agree with the current step being taken by the current holders of that portfolio to overcome these challenges (some of which you appear to have an excellent understanding and knowledge of)?
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by temi4fash(m): 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
kaboninc:

If you were to be appointed as a Minster of Power, or Minister of Energy (I know we do not have that portfolio now) what would you do differently?

Do you agree with the current step being taken by the current holders of that portfolio to overcome these challenges (some of which you appear to have an excellent understanding and knowledge of)?

These is a very good question... Would love if my amiable senior colleagues would argue intellectually on these power thingy. So that we the young and aspiring Engineers can learn a thing or two because from the little written here I have been able to pick a thing or 2. Let forget the politics behind the discus and just argue or brainstorm in a very civil manner. .

Thanks
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by temi4fash(m): 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2015
netotse:

Hey how's things?...no vex, na over excitement cause am, been a while since I've seen people display that much knowledge of the power sector online.

mmscf (called em em scuff) is million standard cubic feet per day, the scf is the common measure of gas in use in naija.
IOC is international oil company.

Any other thing you'd like me to expatiate?

My oga u have tried... Thanks.

I see u have corrections in your subsequent post.. Thanks for that.

hope you doing great?

Would send you a mail soon..

Thanks agqin
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 7:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
kaboninc:

Omo, that's a tough one o...I will come out straight and say I don't yet have the depth of knowledge and/or exposure to make such calls wrt doing things differently. One thing though, I would be more strict with the discos on metering and estimated billing, this affects perception a great deal, let the people see there's a difference in ownership of the companies by how you interact with them. That said, this is not the HMPowers scope, it's more of the NERC guy (Sam Amadi) I think the govt did a good job putting him there.
Below is a link to a story by thisday in october where NERC went through some of the discos books and didn't approve of some of the costs they incurred, made me feel we have a regulator that isn't there to just rubber stamp decisions. I'd still like to see better customer care though

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nerc-orders-11-discos-to-remit-n19bn-to-firs-nelmco/191334/

The minister of power isn't necessarily the most knowledgeable or most important person in the scheme of things, there's the Presidential Action Comittee on Power and the Presidential Task Force, these guys do a lot of the tinkering with policy that has to be done.

I agree with the way govt has gone about things, they've tried to be as transparent as possible in the way they went about this reform (Nnaji sacrificed himself so as not to jeopardize this, woulda preferred him as HMPower).
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by citizenY(m): 8:10pm On Feb 13, 2015
J12:

He's an ignorant lawyer. The best hands are with the present government, we want them to continue.

And this is how far they have taken us to
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by kaboninc(m): 8:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
netotse:

Omo, that's a tough one o...I will come out straight and say I don't yet have the depth of knowledge and/or exposure to make such calls wrt doing things differently. One thing though, I would be more strict with the discos on metering and estimated billing, this affects perception a great deal, let the people see there's a difference in ownership of the companies by how you interact with them. That said, this is not the HMPowers scope, it's more of the NERC guy (Sam Amadi) I think the govt did a good job putting him there.
Below is a link to a story by thisday in october where NERC went through some of the discos books and didn't approve of some of the costs they incurred, made me feel we have a regulator that isn't there to just rubber stamp decisions. I'd still like to see better customer care though

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nerc-orders-11-discos-to-remit-n19bn-to-firs-nelmco/191334/

The minister of power isn't necessarily the most knowledgeable or most important person in the scheme of things, there's the Presidential Action Comittee on Power and the Presidential Task Force, these guys do a lot of the tinkering with policy that has to be done.

I agree with the way govt has gone about things, they've tried to be as transparent as possible in the way they went about this reform (Nnaji sacrificed himself so as not to jeopardize this, woulda preferred him as HMPower).

I had ask that question going from your opinion about the power industry. With the focus on gas (we have abundance of it) to clean (or green) fuels and other sustainable (and reusable) sources of energy, I see opportunities in the face of chaos, complaints and anger! Don't mind me, just being an opportunist!

Two days ago, I was discussing with someone about the endless opportunities in Nigeria with focus on our power generation. For instance, we've been on this 4.5 GW - 10 GW of electricity production while South Africa is producing close to 160GW if not more, but still, Nigeria is a virgin land and investors are coming in. Well that's by the way for now.

Now on the HM Power, I've been following the policy trends in the industry and other industries too which have one impact or the other on the power industry especially the Finance industry. President Jonathan, through Nnaji and the various Presidential Committees had been resolute and determined to ensure that privatisation of PHCN scale through. Nnaji to the best of my knowledge, saw an opportunity in the sector when his own company was bidding for one of the plants been offered for sale. That eventually led to his exit (conflict of interest). To me, that was the beginning of the 'downward' trend as the vibe, vigour had been diminished. However, I still see some form of determination.

Its evident that the activities of vandals tinkering with transmission lines, power installations, gas pipelines have greatly affected power generation, transmission and distribution. I want to ask you this (I want to believe its true and feasible too). Since we have the gas in the Niger Delta, can there be a solution that is cost effective and highly efficient to transport the gas to other parts of the country especially the far West, East and North in LARGE QUANTITIES? My solutions is like using a large vessel to bring in oil and use the pipeline to transport the oil rather than transporting the oil from source.

I agree with your position on the discos and metering. So many households do not have meters and I have a strong feeling that these discos are really impeding distribution of these meters. The complaint today is that there are not enough meters to go round. There's no fund too to purchase these meters. Now the CBN has come to guarantee funds and it appears government is pushing for the meters to be produced locally. I also still think the regulator should not just look at their books but do an on-site monitoring of these discos. I believe it will be effective and the perception will change to a positive one.

I see government is focusing on other forms of power generation - coal, solar, hydro, etc. That to me is also a step in the right direction. There's something about policy direction. For a long time, we've not had a consistent, committed, focused and determined drive on policy implementation especially on a year-to-year basis and in critical segments of the economy. This government I must commend it is actually taking that bold step. Its my hope that should there be a change in Aso rock, this policy will be sustained and only fine-tuned if need be.

I've learnt a whole lot here especially on the 'modular' model of power generation.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 9:07pm On Feb 13, 2015
kaboninc:

I had ask that question going from your opinion about the power industry. With the focus on gas (we have abundance of it) to clean (or green) fuels and other sustainable (and reusable) sources of energy, I see opportunities in the face of chaos, complaints and anger! Don't mind me, just being an opportunist!

Two days ago, I was discussing with someone about the endless opportunities in Nigeria with focus on our power generation. For instance, we've been on this 4.5 GW - 10 GW of electricity production while South Africa is producing close to 160GW if not more, but still, Nigeria is a virgin land and investors are coming in. Well that's by the way for now.

Now on the HM Power, I've been following the policy trends in the industry and other industries too which have one impact or the other on the power industry especially the Finance industry. President Jonathan, through Nnaji and the various Presidential Committees had been resolute and determined to ensure that privatisation of PHCN scale through. Nnaji to the best of my knowledge, saw an opportunity in the sector when his own company was bidding for one of the plants been offered for sale. That eventually led to his exit (conflict of interest). To me, that was the beginning of the 'downward' trend as the vibe, vigour had been diminished. However, I still see some form of determination.

Its evident that the activities of vandals tinkering with transmission lines, power installations, gas pipelines have greatly affected power generation, transmission and distribution. I want to ask you this (I want to believe its true and feasible too). Since we have the gas in the Niger Delta, can there be a solution that is cost effective and highly efficient to transport the gas to other parts of the country especially the far West, East and North in LARGE QUANTITIES? My solutions is like using a large vessel to bring in oil and use the pipeline to transport the oil rather than transporting the oil from source.

I agree with your position on the discos and metering. So many households do not have meters and I have a strong feeling that these discos are really impeding distribution of these meters. The complaint today is that there are not enough meters to go round. There's no fund too to purchase these meters. Now the CBN has come to guarantee funds and it appears government is pushing for the meters to be produced locally. I also still think the regulator should not just look at their books but do an on-site monitoring of these discos. I believe it will be effective and the perception will change to a positive one.

I see government is focusing on other forms of power generation - coal, solar, hydro, etc. That to me is also a step in the right direction. There's something about policy direction. For a long time, we've not had a consistent, committed, focused and determined drive on policy implementation especially on a year-to-year basis and in critical segments of the economy. This government I must commend it is actually taking that bold step. Its my hope that should there be a change in Aso rock, this policy will be sustained and only fine-tuned if need be.

I've learnt a whole lot here especially on the 'modular' model of power generation.

First things first, why are you dashing RSA free capacity na? they have somewhere between 45 and 50GW (let us even dash them 60 sef), nowhere near 160GW. grin

Transportation is always a major cost in any endeavour, whether farming or trading, etc. Transporting fuels by anything other than a gas pipeline will serve to increase your unit costs case in point, link says supplying our refineries crude by ship would increase refinery costs by $7 per barrel. There isn't yet an economically viable alternative to pipelines (that I'm aware of cheesy).

You mention having the gas in abundance, granted we do, but we still need to make producing it viable. Good news though...
http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5N0VN0MI20150213

worldbank is providing financing for gas projects in Africa and a nice chunk of it is coming to naija, all is not yet uhuru but we're making progress.

I agree with you things haven't been quite the same since Nnaji left, I liked the energy/urgency back then. He left so the naysayers wouldn't have anything to say about the reforms, not because anyone could prove any conflict of interest, respect!!! (imagine if he had stubbornly stayed on? we wouldn't have heard the end of it, how govt was condoning corruption and all).

I can see you have a passion for the energy side of things, have you read the roadmaps and revisions? digest and understand them then you can come online and be forming local champion like me grin

@temi4fash
no wahala...anytime boss.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by temi4fash(m): 11:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
Seems to me from the on going discuss there are many untapped opportunities in the power sector. ..

@kaboninc

how would they use large vessels when there are no large water ways to the north and some other part of the north.

@netotse

Can u help with a link on the revised power sector reforms and how far gone are we with it. Are making progress not just from the papers but from the perspective of the average nigerian.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2015
temi4fash:
Seems to me from the on going discuss there are many untapped opportunities in the power sector. ..

@kaboninc

how would they use large vessels when there are no large water ways to the north and some other part of the north.

@netotse

Can u help with a link on the revised power sector reforms and how far gone are we with it. Are making progress not just from the papers but from the perspective of the average nigerian.

http://www.nigeriapowerreform.org/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=3&Itemid=357
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by temi4fash(m): 12:33am On Feb 20, 2015
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by kaboninc(m): 8:43am On Feb 24, 2015
netotse:

First things first, why are you dashing RSA free capacity na? they have somewhere between 45 and 50GW (let us even dash them 60 sef), nowhere near 160GW. grin

No mind me jare. Thanks.

Transportation is always a major cost in any endeavour, whether farming or trading, etc. Transporting fuels by anything other than a gas pipeline will serve to increase your unit costs case in point, link says supplying our refineries crude by ship would increase refinery costs by $7 per barrel. There isn't yet an economically viable alternative to pipelines (that I'm aware of cheesy).

Yeah I know that transportation is always a major cost to factor in any endeavour. My idea is: can we have a large reservoir built to store gas in strategic locations? The gas reservoir will be fed through network of pipelines from the production locations. The power plants can then be fed via the gas reservoir. That way, the power plants won't be shut down due to low gas supply as the reservoir will act as a temporary storage facility in case there is a leak or sabotage? This may not stop vandalism and sabotage but it sure can reduce the number of break points and ensure availability of gas for a specific duration.

If this idea can be implemented, and electricity can be GUARANTEED, I believe the transportation cost can be worked on even though it will be passed unto the final consumer. I have not done any comparative analysis: transporting gas through pipelines and associated cost to vandalism on one hand and cost of transporting gas to reservoirs, cost of building the reservoir, and another cost of transporting the gas to power plants.

I agree with you things haven't been quite the same since Nnaji left, I liked the energy/urgency back then. He left so the naysayers wouldn't have anything to say about the reforms, not because anyone could prove any conflict of interest, respect!!! (imagine if he had stubbornly stayed on? we wouldn't have heard the end of it, how govt was condoning corruption and all).

The guy is cooling off with his Geometric power supply around Aba- Ariaria Axis.

I can see you have a passion for the energy side of things, have you read the roadmaps and revisions? digest and understand them then you can come online and be forming local champion like me grin

I have passion for anything that provides opportunity. Problem is ACTING!

I will take my time to study the roadmaps, revisions, policies, etc etc and thanks for the link on NERC refusing to grant 'approval' to Discos for their outrageous expenses. Them wan transfer the cost to us. Imagine Kaduna Disco, expending N17.8 million... in hosting members of the Senate Committee on Power during an oversight visit to them. . And the yeye Senators will go ahead to collect ESTACODES Stealing from two sources!

I've followed you from the Welcome to My Office Thread.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by Chiaka(f): 9:13am On Feb 24, 2015
ogb5:
Voting in knowledgeable people is one of the beauty of democracy. This has been well developed by the advanced democracies in the west. To ensure that the nation elects the right people with the right skills, experience and qualifications, politicians are normally grilled on a range of subjects to gauge their understanding of the issues affecting their countries or constituency as the case may be.

In this vein looking at the power policy thrust of the APC as being put forward by no other person than their vice presidential candidate bring to fore some gross deficiency in the policy of the APC on power and shows that professor Osinbajo does not know what power generation entails.

The APC vice has consistently said that their government will improve power supply, the question is how will they do that.
The answer to the question of 'how' was answered by Osinbajo on Tuesday in Ondo during a town hall session. This is what he had to say.

1. They will decentralise power generation.
2. The decentralised power plants will have gas supplied to them by trucks instead of pipelines
3. They will copy the model of power plants already established in Lagos state.

herein lies the ignorance of the professor, also hidden in the rhetoric of the professor is the avenue for looting the treasury.
1. Power generation has been decentralised. Anyone, be it federal government, state government, local government or private companies can now set up power generation plant and sell such produced power as they deem fit. So Osinbajo should tell us something different.

2. Technically you can not supply a power plant like the one in Lagos with gas using trucks. This simply mean the professor and those formulating his policy on power generation knows nothing about power generation. The Lagos plant uses natural gas, that is another theme for methane gas. Industrially methane has 2 means of being transported, by pipelines when the point of use is less than 5,000 km and as liquefied natural gas by ships followed by re gasification when the point of use is more than 5, 000 km from the point of production. The gas supplied by trucks is liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) used for domestic cooking. No country in the world bases her power generation on LPG. Moreover Nigeria does not have the facility to produce adequate LPG to cater for domestic cooking, so using LPG for power generation is out of the question. So Osinbajo promising to supply gas to power plants with trucks is simply talking about something that is not possible.

3. Osinbajo promised to model his modular power plants after the Lagos power plant. Simply put, the Lagos power plant is among the most expensive gas fired power plant in the world. The Ikeja modular power plant has an installed capacity of 10 megawatts and was built at a cost of 3.2 billion Naira. That was equivalent to about 2 billion usd per gigawatt of electricity. Globally the benchmark cost for gas fired power plants is 1 billion usd per gigawatt of electricity, the Ikeja plant cost twice the global benchmark for such plants. By planning to go with the Lagos model, Osinbajo is telling us the will deliver power at twice the global benchmark cost, and at a cost far higher than the current government is delivering power projects. Several gas fired power plants delivered by the current government in the last 4 yrs were delivered at less than 1 . 3 billion usd per gigawatt.

So Osinbajo has no clue about power generation, he is simply spooling out impossible promises to confuse the electorates. Worse part is that he is a pastor that is supposed to stand by the truth, how will he face God at the end of the day after telling blatant lies on the campaign trail.

http://www.punchng.com/news/apc-will-slash-tariffs-on-imported-cars-osinbajo/

With no clue on how to bring about change.
I don talk am tire say the change when APC dey shout na 'change' as per money when go enter their pocket. Leave matter!!!!
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by ogb5(m): 10:05am On Feb 24, 2015
It is good that many folks believe that the energy option that the APC is pushing for is not optimal. However some people have brought up the option of using compressed natural gas to power the modular power plants.

There are several pitfalls in this approach.
1. We have a gas framework agreed over the yrs. Compressed natural gas is not the preferred option in our gas to power plans. That is why you will see that as a country we have LNG plants and LPG plants but we have not invested in compressed natural gas plants. Compressed natural gas being used for electricity is an expensive option compared to piping of natural gas to power plants.

2. We do not have the infrastructure to produce and distribute compressed natural gas at a scale required for it to be a viable energy alternative for a country of 170 million people. Before APC started brandishing modular power plants powered by truck delivered gas, did they bother to check the feasibility of their plans? Where will the gas come from to power a modular plant in sokoto or in zamfara ? Are you going to truck gas fro warri daily to sokoto?

3. No one who wants to develop reinvents the wheel. Gas powered plant has been built in many countries that have gas reserves like nigeria. Non of those countries based their electricity generation on compressed National gas. Why does APC want to use Nigerians on a experiment. Also as a country we decided long ago to be taking gas to power plants through pipelines because it is cheaper. Why change from the cheaper option to expensive option of using trucks to deliver gas.
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by netotse(m): 7:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
kaboninc:

No mind me jare. Thanks.

Yeah I know that transportation is always a major cost to factor in any endeavour. My idea is: can we have a large reservoir built to store gas in strategic locations? The gas reservoir will be fed through network of pipelines from the production locations. The power plants can then be fed via the gas reservoir. That way, the power plants won't be shut down due to low gas supply as the reservoir will act as a temporary storage facility in case there is a leak or sabotage? This may not stop vandalism and sabotage but it sure can reduce the number of break points and ensure availability of gas for a specific duration.

If this idea can be implemented, and electricity can be GUARANTEED, I believe the transportation cost can be worked on even though it will be passed unto the final consumer. I have not done any comparative analysis: transporting gas through pipelines and associated cost to vandalism on one hand and cost of transporting gas to reservoirs, cost of building the reservoir, and another cost of transporting the gas to power plants.

The guy is cooling off with his Geometric power supply around Aba- Ariaria Axis.

I have passion for anything that provides opportunity. Problem is ACTING!

I will take my time to study the roadmaps, revisions, policies, etc etc and thanks for the link on NERC refusing to grant 'approval' to Discos for their outrageous expenses. Them wan transfer the cost to us. Imagine Kaduna Disco, expending N17.8 million... in hosting members of the Senate Committee on Power during an oversight visit to them. . And the yeye Senators will go ahead to collect ESTACODES Stealing from two sources!

I've followed you from the Welcome to My Office Thread.
In a bit of a rush...

Two things, gas storage is not beans...especially storage when you dont have a surplus. There's something similar to your idea in place already though, they're called line packs, they allow us breathe easier during short term vandalism episodes. But I looked into gas storage in 2013 (I think) and it took me less than half a day to realize it wasn't a feasible option. Don't take my word for it though, look it up cheesy.

Bros, Nnaji isn't cooling off anywhere, Geometric has problems with Interstate(disco owner for that region), I remember reading something along the lines of Interstate buying them over so the matter doesn't drag.

temi4fash:

sent you a mail...
seen it, will get back to you...have a full plate
Re: Ignorant APC Vice Prof. Osinbajo Does Not Know Gas by laudate: 7:02pm On Jun 15, 2015

Dude, CNG's are not used for power generating plants. It is not feasible!

Why do you think so?? The few IPP plants in Lagos, especially the ones on the island are supplied with CNG gas using skids/cascades carried by CNG trucks. There are about 5 companies that currently produce and distribute natural gas using this method.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yari, Associates Still In APC Despite Closure Of Inec’s Substitution Window / BREAKING: Interstate Movement To Resume On Sunday - FG / FG To Spend ₦900 Billion On Fuel Subsidy In 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.