Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation (13204 Views)

Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) / Little Child Tortured For Days Over Witchcraft Accusation (Photos) / Houseboy In Edo Tortured Over Witchcraft Accusation (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Ishilove: 5:54am On Feb 12, 2015
GROWING up is never an easy task for the Nigerian child as his road is strewn with thorns and briers. This savage reality is stamped in the mind of Usen Okon, 10, after he was accused of witchcraft by his paternal aunt in his native Esit Eket Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State, last month. According to a report in this newspaper, the aunt, in whose care he had been entrusted, eventually threw him into the Imo River, hoping that he would drown. Although he was rescued, Okon is now a candidate for nightmares for the rest of his life.

But Okon is not the only victim of this criminal practice of sorcery-related attacks and killings. He is just one of an increasing number of children accused of witchcraft by their families, local spiritualists and worship places and are then tortured or killed by their accusers. Many of these minors are sentenced to a life of suffering in silence after being branded as witches. The ordeal could twist a child’s personality for ever.

Okon’s travails had all the ingredients of jungle justice. A non-governmental organisation, the Humanist Association for Peace and Social Tolerance Advancement and its partner, Child’s Rights and Rehabilitation Network, which took up his case, said the poor orphan was roused from sleep by his guardian, who was looking for a scapegoat for her misfortune. She took Okon to her husband and asked him to confess to being a wizard. Though the boy rejected the witchcraft label, his aunt still went ahead to throw him into the river.

Such is the nature of witchcraft trial – heads you lose, tails you lose. Once the accusers have made up their minds that the minor is a witch, possessed by spirits that have brought evil on them, the punishments that usually follow include physical violence, mistreatment, abuse, infanticide and abandonment. When such accusations and the resulting trial-by-ordeal don’t result in death, the survivors are scarred and stigmatised by their peers, cruelty that is so crude for children to bear. While some of the cases are reported, it is particularly disturbing that many of such horrendous cruelties largely escape public attention.

Campaigners against the inhuman practice reported that around 15,000 children have been labelled as witches in two of the 36 states of the federation over the past decade and around 1,000 have been killed. Between July and October 2009, three kids accused of witchcraft were killed and another three were set on fire. Just last September, three children of the same parents in Unyenge, Mbo LGA, Akwa Ibom State, suffered physical attacks after being accused of witchcraft. They are aged 14, 10 and seven. Although they were rescued by officials of African Aid Education and Development Foundation – an NGO – the trio had been orphaned shortly before the attack because some villagers had murdered their father on similarly spurious and unproven allegations that he wanted to use witchcraft to kill a resident of the area. Their attackers were not brought to book.

Relying on unsubstantiated reports, some Nigerian fringe churches are aiding the practice of labelling and stigmatising children as witches, wizards and sorcerers. In Ibadan, Oyo State, a little girl, Bose, had a six inches nail driven down her skull by her own father in 1994, but managed to cheat death by a whisker after being rescued by some good Samaritans and later adopted by the state military administrator, Col. Ike Nwosu. Bose’s life changed immediately.

After a damning report of witchcraft stigmatisation in Akwa Ibom went global in 2008, the state government filed charges against one Okon William, a self-styled bishop, who allegedly confessed to the killing of 110 children accused of witchcraft. But the case assumed a bizarre turn when one of the witnesses, an NGO official, was charged as an offender by the government. The church is meant to be a place of succour to people, not a centre to inflict pain on members of the society, and exploit gullible parents seeking help.

These barbaric acts have no place in our society in the 21st century. State governments should stop playing politics with the issue of child development, and collaborate with relevant NGOs and other international agencies to rescue our children from ignorant and wicked adults.

Define as the use of magical spells that aggregate evil spirits to produce supernatural effects in human life, witchcraft is practised all over the world, but it is widespread in Africa, where modern trappings of civilisation have yet to reach the recesses of many villages and local communities. In the past, witchcraft accusations were levelled mainly against adults, but Africa’s vulnerable children are now at the receiving end.

Not so ready to bear responsibility for their economic and other misfortunes, children are often accused of being harbingers of bad luck by many families. In ‘Children Accused of Witchcraft’, a report authored by UNICEF in 2009, says, “Many social and economic pressures, including conflict, poverty, urbanisation and the weakening of communities, or HIV/AIDS, seem to have contributed to the recent increase in witchcraft accusations against children … they are part of deeper social problems affecting society.”

We cannot agree more. Also tormented by squalor and hopelessness, many parents send their children to their relatives to raise them. These relatives often turn out to be their albatross, maltreating the kids and labelling them witches and wizards at the slightest opportunity. The government should be sensitive to this evil trend, and bring those who perpetrate such savagery against children to justice. Our parliaments at the state level need to review and reform existing laws to protect children from ignorant, vicious adults.

Children are special and represent the future. But Nigerian children face an uncertain future arising from outdated practices and failure of governance in the country. Despite repeated assurances by the federal and state governments that they would achieve the goal of education for all by 2015, Nigeria has a high number of children roaming the streets. According to UNICEF, 10.5 million Nigerian children are out of school. This is said to be the highest in the world. Sixty-two per cent of them are estimated to be girls and reside predominantly in the northern part of the country. When we add the problem of witchcraft in the South, it is obvious that as a country, we are headed for a shaky future because of the neglect and cruelty we inflict on our children.

Any form of cruelty against minors should be treated as a serious crime. There should be a national programme that will decrease the vulnerability of children to abuse and exploitation; develop a nationwide capacity to provide a rapid, effective, and measured investigative response to crimes against them; and enhance the capabilities of law enforcement agencies to bring child abusers to justice. The setting up of a family court to tackle the increasing cases of child witchcraft by Akwa Ibom State should be emulated by other states. States that have not adopted or implemented the Child Rights Act need to speed up the process of adoption and implementation, a global convention that was adopted by the Federal Government in 2003. UNICEF says only 16 out of the 36 states have domesticated the law meant to protect children from abuse, give them education and protect them from drug abuse, among other provisions.

Governments should also create awareness about the rights of children in our communities in order to stop the abuse and the jungle justice against the nation’s greatest asset – our children.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-qsbMicCrYCU/Uvkwgr0kgtI/AAAAAAAAm7Y/J3_-U77e7_g/s1600/bal.jpg[/img]
Source: http://www.punchng.com/editorials/rescuing-nigerian-children-from-witchcraft-accusation/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 6:21am On Feb 12, 2015
My first FTC in feburary. I dedicate this to dymondgurl. Even imagine if nigerian witches and wizards can use their craft to help us stop insurgency nd the problem ravaging d country. GEJ would hav be comfortable in aso rock.
Folish witches and wizards, i tink dats a gud step.
For that of accusing children for it. It is a wrong insuniation. Imagine I 1ce had of a case whereby a woman took her daughter to an herbalist dat she posses incubus spirit 'emere' in yoruba. The herbalist gave the child a concortion to drink. Unfortunately d child died of the concortion.
I tink the govt shud do sumtin abt it.
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Redoil: 6:25am On Feb 12, 2015
Inasmuch i am against the beating and touture of people who are called witches ishilove, if you have the opportunity to hear what the evil and wicked deeds this children witches commit and are confessing you will shed tears uncontrolably for 365 days. Though a lot of people who have never come in contact with their evil and wicked deeds will just wave any discussion about them with their hand. Children witches are very distructive to the extent that if i am having the opportunity i will pass a law among all the evil coven arround the world to up there ante and only allow people above the age of 20years to join them.
If you know that children witches is not a joke to be taking lightly share my post.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by adedam007(m): 7:59am On Feb 12, 2015
K
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Ishilove: 9:17am On Feb 12, 2015
Redoil:
Inasmuch i am against the beating and touture of people who are called witches ishilove, if you have the opportunity to hear what the evil and wicked deeds this children witches commit and are confessing you will shed tears uncontrolably for 365 days. Though a lot of people who have never come in contact with their evil and wicked deeds will just wave any discussion about them with their hand. Children witches are very distructive to the extent that if i am having the opportunity i will pass a law among all the evil coven arround the world to up there ante and only allow people above the age of 20years to join them.
If you know that children witches is not a joke to be taking lightly share my post.
Seriously? undecided

Even if they are 'witches'(??), isn't taking them for deliverance the right option? After all we do not war with the flesh...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by frodobee: 9:20am On Feb 12, 2015
This piece deserves our collective effort, everyone has a role to play. Our churches, our schools, our communities and ofcourse the govt, we all got a role to play to stamp out this odious practice.
I bliv education and re-orientation will go a long way, also regulating the activities of these self-styled pastors and bishops is very very important. The life of our young ones and children is the hope of this nation.
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Redoil: 9:36am On Feb 12, 2015
Ishilove:

Seriously? undecided

Even if they are 'witches'(??), isn't taking them for deliverance the right option? After all we do not war with the flesh...
which deliverance? Most people who attempted to take the children for deliverance are mostly given a black eye and most of these churches and deliverance house are nothing but wack who charges exorbitantly. Removing the spirit from those children is not like cooking amala and ewedu with redoil soup.
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Redoil: 9:39am On Feb 12, 2015
frodobee:
This piece deserves our collective effort, everyone has a role to play. Our churches, our schools, our communities and ofcourse the govt, we all got a role to play to stamp out this odious practice.
I bliv education and re-orientation will go a long way, also regulating the activities of these self-styled pastors and bishops is very very important. The life of our young ones and children is the hope of this nation.
for now you are 101% correct untill you hear what comes out of the mouth of these children durring confession

1 Like

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by frodobee: 9:58am On Feb 12, 2015
Redoil:
for now you are 101% correct untill you hear what comes out of the mouth of these children durring confession

Your point? A juvenile confessing to crime, right? When you were in his shoes age-wise, did you commit such? No. Why? Cuz:
1. Better educated.
2. Surrounded by good family/community.
3. Better orientation of people/community around you.
4. Not hypnotized by some old people within your environment.

My argument? A juvenile will not in his right senses go out to commit such evil. Place my argument side by side with act done by a mature man like myself- I don't steal, if I do, then I must convince myself that what I am doing is bad, that I am willing to bear the consequences- this is called "pathology of decision in psychology", here you are fully AWARE.
This kids are not AWARE, there powers of self-awareness are not developed, ofcourse they lack proper education that is a common factor among them, this informed my earlier post. They deserve protection and education till they reach the age and stage of "abstraction", that is when they become answerable and also make informed judgement eg reporting their hypnosis or abnormal activities.

7 Likes

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Redoil: 10:06am On Feb 12, 2015
frodobee:

Your point? A juvenile confessing to crime, right? When you were in his shoes age-wise, did you commit such? No. Why? Cuz:
1. Better educated.
2. Surrounded by good family/community.
3. Better orientation of people/community around you.
4. Not hypnotized by some old people within your environment.

My argument? A juvenile will not in his right senses go out to commit such evil. Place my argument side by side with act done by a mature man like myself- I don't steal, if I do, then I must convince myself that what I am doing is bad, that I am willing to bear the consequences- this is called "pathology of decision in psychology", here you are fully AWARE.
This kids are not AWARE, there powers of self-awareness are not developed, ofcourse they lack proper education that is a common factor among them, this informed my earlier post. They deserve protection and education till they reach the age and stage of "abstraction", that is when they become answerable and also make informed judgement eg reporting their hypnosis or abnormal activities.
as i said you ar 101% right untill you see these children in action.

2 Likes

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Viktor1983(m): 10:38am On Feb 12, 2015
Una see as our mentality be ?
Witches flying but can't fly into a bank vault..or fly to any country of their choice.
They need a visa,right ?
Our imagination is all F'ed up

13 Likes

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by korel9: 11:57am On Feb 12, 2015
My pleasure to recommend this grin

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by holyokoto(m): 11:59am On Feb 12, 2015
face page things!!!!!!
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Tenim47(m): 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2015
Ahusubillah
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 12, 2015
OK
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by angelo5uk(m): 12:01pm On Feb 12, 2015
Redoil:

What's this one saying. My friend grow up. If your life is miserable don't put the blame on other people but yourself. Especially kids plz

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01pm On Feb 12, 2015
[size=28pt]CHRISTIANITY!

ACCUSING PEOPLE OF WITCHCRAFT SINCE 100AD!

Shey! There was a time when brainwashed christians even went on to tag their own traditionalist grandparents as witch in the village.

Gods curse on these pastors who play with the minds of people.
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by ogaofficer(m): 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2015
Hmmn
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2015
ignorant pple
d Bible says we arnt fyting against flesh n blood bt PRINCIPALITIES N POWERS IN HIGH PLACES..so if call u d child witch n strt ur maltreatment n ur domestic tyrannic behaviors on him/her d spirit go kpafuka nko ntodo?..insted of praying fr d lad/damsel tu b freed frm such......no wonda DADDY said "My pple perisheth fr lack of KNOWLEDGE"

1 Like

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2015
chai
Microflux:
adedam007:
K
PAGAN9JA:
G

onosprince:

Prodeegee:

were is my cain? angry

1 Like

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2015
Tenim47:
Ahusubillah
r u frm Pakistan? undecided

1 Like

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by condralbede(m): 12:04pm On Feb 12, 2015
My people perish,because of lack of knowledge..... witches ko,wizards ni.

Only happens in Merlin's movie.

4 Likes

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by kin4real: 12:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
Noted
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by mankida: 12:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
opyglk
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by nedz(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
Reall? Nwanne oburo obere ife, but Olisa bi n'Igwe will deliver them
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Ask4bigneyo(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
Thank God
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
[size=28pt]CHRISTIANITY!

ACCUSING PEOPLE OF WITCHCRAFT SINCE 100AD!

[/size]

Joan D' Arc is not exactly a good example.....some politics may have been involved .

And she was not burnt at the stake for witchcraft....heresy and cross dressing were the causus belli.

Plus, Catholics (and I am not one BTW)...were less likely to burn people at the stake for witchcraft than Protestants. Infact the Spanish Inquisition virtually outlawed burnings for witchcraft in its jurisdiction....believing that it was ''fake''.

A good example of we Christians misbehaving in the witchcraft things is the Salem trials....and no one was burnt.
Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by Prodeegee(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2015

Re: Rescuing Nigerian Children From Witchcraft Accusation by onosprince(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
Send them to Tb Joshua to interrogate the demon in them grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Jesus Christ Spoke More About Hell More Than Heaven / Opinion: Is Bazaar In The House Of The Lord Right? / Clean Jokes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.