Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,127 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? (20578 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nilla(f): 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2006
kewl
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by dollypee1(f): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2006
WHAT DOES DAT MEAN@ NILLA?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nilla(f): 3:36pm On Jul 27, 2006
its cool that hotstepper's family friend is getting paid 10 million a year
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 14, 2006
?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Musmus(f): 2:50pm On Aug 15, 2006
Hi Guys, i am also new. All the topics here are very interesting. I presently live abroad and I am in the process of going home to try things out. Of course it will depend on what kind of opportunities are out there for me.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 20, 2006
yes
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Ndipe(m): 6:20am On Dec 08, 2006
Depends though. I have acclimatized (to some extent) to the ways of life in America, and enjoy it, but at the same time, I miss Naija. If the opportunity strikes, why not, I will take it. It may be in Naira, but sometimes the benefits can outweigh the value of the dollar.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 6:43am On Mar 03, 2007
Yes i willl.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by ONOSEN(f): 3:52pm On Mar 06, 2007
[b]Well the thing about going back to Nigeria all depends on the individual and what exactly he or she wants i.e just a job or a career. I have two Masters degrees from London and I've made up my mind to go back home to work. Living abroad is not always the bed of roses most people back home think. I was actually working and making some  money but i quit my job cos I just got fed up with the monotonous life.  Which is work , work , work, bills , bills , bills and the ocassional hanging out. Over here most companies r actually interested in your work experience and not actually your qualifications which at the end of the day makes u feel u wasted all the money u invested in a British education. angry

Nigeria is hard i know, but guys it is home and i know the government tends to take the piss sometimes but if u r lucky and can find a good job ( which I aim to do!) life would be just fine. U can always come over here for hollidays but not to come and stress yourself up abroad, u need to see our graduates and PHD holders doing crap jobs all in the name of the pound and the jand syndrome. For some people who never want to go back, I beleive people tend to stay where the grass is greener for them so we cant blame them. undecided

But as for me, I want career growth and devleopment, an environment where my qualifications would be appreciated . So I am taking the big step after all these years and going back home to try my luck.

well thats my opinion and not everyone else might agree. wink  [/b]
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Vintage: 1:19am On Mar 07, 2007
Though I was brn in uk I do have a passion to want to do something in Nigeria. Maybe build a business which would have branches in uk and Nigheria so that I could work in both places.

I really want to do somthing in Nigeria to make a diffference, or to plant the seed for change.

It at times pisses me off when nigerins in uk are quick to criticise nigeria, espacially since they base their criticisims on the racist media here.

I persoanlly beleiev its every nigerians duty to do somthing in their home land, NO EXCUSES. , HOWEVER ITS A 2 WAY THING, SO THE GOVERNMENT HAVE TO DO THEIR PART.

I have met many people who always use corruption as an excuse.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 6:51am On Mar 07, 2007
Its a good idea anyway.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Tmoni(m): 11:46am On Mar 11, 2007
@onosen
well said

naija is the place, at least, there can be a savings!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 3:42am On Mar 12, 2007
Yu right.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by omoonile2: 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2007
@ ONOSEN
Thats true, UK employers are more interested in the experience you have and not the qualifications you have.

Its a good thing to return to naija and possibly start a business rather than stressing out in so called "Jand".
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by TheOne2(m): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2007
My honest opinion is that I would PERSONALLY prefer to go back home. You might say it's because I have something I'm going back to but I think it's much more than that. I was always curious about life in Western countries and decided to take time off work to come to school in the UK and see what the life is all about. On the surface, it seems a good life i.e. good roads, constant electricity et al. But upon critical examination, I discovered that the system is set up to ensure that most of what you earn goes back to the system. I am uncomfortable with that as it does not tally with my aspirations as I would prefer most of my money in my pocket in order to invest and get out of the rat race soonest (a la RICH DAD, POOR DAD).

With this in mind, I am definitely going back home. The UK does not even offer me a better pay even with the N250 to I pound conversion.

The clincher for me is this: there is no way another man's country can be like your country. There are overt and covert ways that the system uses to remind you that you are an alien. I wouldn't blame them though as I would draw an analogy from a situation where a Nigerian and a foreigner are contesting for something in Nigeria. Common sense says that the Nigerian will be favored so I don't complain when UK citizens are favored in certain things here. I just count the days until I'm through with the program and I can go back to the land WHERE I AM KING IN MY OWN COUNTRY.

That, candidly, is my take on this.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 4:40am On Mar 14, 2007
The One:

My honest opinion is that I would PERSONALLY prefer to go back home. You might say it's because I have something I'm going back to but I think it's much more than that. I was always curious about life in Western countries and decided to take time off work to come to school in the UK and see what the life is all about. On the surface, it seems a good life i.e. good roads, constant electricity et al. But upon critical examination, I discovered that the system is set up to ensure that most of what you earn goes back to the system. I am uncomfortable with that as it does not tally with my aspirations as I would prefer most of my money in my pocket in order to invest and get out of the rat race soonest (a la RICH DAD, POOR DAD).

With this in mind, I am definitely going back home. The UK does not even offer me a better pay even with the N250 to I pound conversion.

The clincher for me is this: there is no way another man's country can be like your country. There are overt and covert ways that the system uses to remind you that you are an alien. I wouldn't blame them though as I would draw an analogy from a situation where a Nigerian and a foreigner are contesting for something in Nigeria. Common sense says that the Nigerian will be favored so I don't complain when UK citizens are favored in certain things here. I just count the days until I'm through with the program and I can go back to the land WHERE I AM KING IN MY OWN COUNTRY.

That, candidly, is my take on this.

You killed it.This is the best post so far.Wow u so so sensible.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Pain(m): 9:24am On Mar 22, 2007
Life Is An Exercise in Pursuit of Happiness.

Home is Where Your Heart Is At Rest.

If Going Back Would Make You Happy Please Do.

Some People Head Back Home For Various Reasons. Whatever it It Is Make Sure You are Internally Convicted and Motivated To Do So.

With These You Will Have No Problem Adjusting. We Have A Large Pool of Lecturers that Schooled Abroad Lecturing in Nigeria Now. Believe it or not, they have contributed their own quota. No matter how small.

If staying out will also make you happy, then please feel free to. You can still contribute you own quota from there or be available when called upon for national assignment.

A good example is Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 2:37am On Mar 23, 2007
lol
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by akindayor(m): 7:42pm On Mar 23, 2007
u guys dat wnt to com home only after securing a good payin job SRRY!! u shot urself in the leg cos dat does not com easy. we dat we re hear we re not dullards at all we'll do same job det'll pay u heavy money for . and get paid in naira so dont even think abt it if u want to com and establishh a coy then no wahala
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 4Play(m): 7:44pm On Mar 23, 2007
akindayor:

u guys that wnt to com home only after securing a good payin job SRRY!! u shot yourself in the leg because that does not com easy. we that we re hear we re not dullards at all we'll do same job det'll pay u heavy money for . and get paid in naira so don't even think about it if u want to com and establishh a coy then no wahala

Wetin you go do?Look at most of the high ranking people in Corporate Nigeria.Almost all of them where at one time abroad
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by 9ja4eva: 3:17am On Mar 24, 2007
akindayor:

u guys that wnt to com home only after securing a good payin job SRRY!! u shot yourself in the leg because that does not com easy. we that we re hear we re not dullards at all we'll do same job det'll pay u heavy money for . and get paid in naira so don't even think about it if u want to com and establishh a coy then no wahala

I dont agree with u even though i know unemployment rate in Nigeria is so high.Its far better dn working out ones life jst cos one gat to pay bills and d likes.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 28, 2007
I believe it all depends on you and what you are after - The reason(s) for leaving Nigeria in the first place. Home will always be home, but it simply does not end there.

If you love your career and you want to acquire more education or work experience so that you'll be good at what you're doing, then I think a computer science graduate for example should not be talking about staying at home when microsoft in the UK or US or Oracle (just an example) offers him a job.

There are soo many things to learn in a developed country and I think one should also have a way of converting all these to money (It's all about strategy). You can make your money ANYWHERE these days. Forget about all those "talks". The system outside rewards hardwork and can pay ANYTHING if you have good value to ADD legally (and not FRAUDULENTLY o). I believe this is the case ANYWHERE in the world.

The world is quickly becoming one global village and the days of staying "sit tight" at home in the name of patriotism are over - forget about all those sentiment.

I work in the UK as a software engineer and I have Australians, Americans and a lot of Indians in my team. The company was compelled to open up a development center in India when they saw the quality of work the Indians in the company has to offer.

Let me ask this open question. How will Oracle be convinced that there are good software developers in Nigeria (and then set up a development center somewhere in Abuja or Lagos) if we all stay at home, work in banks as cash counters or in clearing - printing cheque books and do nothing to go out and show these guys that we're capable.

These guys expect a lot from Nigerians but we need to go out and show them. Then their confidence will grow and they'll be willing to open active operating offices (not marketing or sales offices o) in Nigeria.

It's all about planning and we outside (probably) still love Nigeria.

Cheers

L
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by naijacann: 4:07am On Jan 28, 2010
I currently have a BScN and an MScN and currently a PHD candidate at the dissertation stage here in Canada.
I plan to go back to naija(although i'm a canadian citizen) to take up a faculty position in the field of Nursing.
I need to help develop naija's nursing curriculum. What I saw in some nursing graduates that i talked with during
my last visit to naija was just very disappointing.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by AjanleKoko: 12:54pm On Jan 28, 2010
JUser:

There are soo many things to learn in a developed country and I think one should also have a way of converting all these to money (It's all about strategy). You can make your money ANYWHERE these days. Forget about all those "talks". The system outside rewards hardwork and can pay ANYTHING if you have good value to ADD legally (and not FRAUDULENTLY o). I believe this is the case ANYWHERE in the world.

The world is quickly becoming one global village and the days of staying "sit tight" at home in the name of patriotism are over - forget about all those sentiment.

I work in the UK as a software engineer and I have Australians, Americans and a lot of Indians in my team. The company was compelled to open up a development center in India when they saw the quality of work the Indians in the company has to offer.

Let me ask this open question. How will Oracle be convinced that there are good software developers in Nigeria (and then set up a development center somewhere in Abuja or Lagos) if we all stay at home, work in banks as cash counters or in clearing - printing cheque books and do nothing to go out and show these guys that we're capable.

These guys expect a lot from Nigerians but we need to go out and show them. Then their confidence will grow and they'll be willing to open active operating offices (not marketing or sales offices o) in Nigeria.

It's all about planning and we outside (probably) still love Nigeria.

Very apt perspective. This is what it should be.
The world is a global village; unless you are able to demonstrate while working in Nigeria that you are globally relevant, then you have to move to where you can get that recognition.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 28, 2010
Naija is still the place to be.
I came home because of the

Opportunities,
The weather,
Relaxed tax etc

Maybe i did it because i know i can always run back.
Thankfully, Naija is treating me right.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by AjanleKoko: 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2010
JUser:

Spot on.
We seem to not realise that the world is a global village these days. Unless you can gain the world's attention from Nigeria, which is not really possible as we all know, our guys need to go out there and prove that we are as good as the best of them. Y'all should read about India's rise in the last decade.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by lekside44(m): 9:51am On Jan 29, 2010
it goes in two ways. its either you come home and secure a job in nigeria as an expertraite or you stay out there and have a job whose wages is far higher than what an average nigerian earn
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by sendtodeji: 4:38pm On Jan 29, 2010
I'm all for going back home if the country and our people will welcome us with open arms. I'm beginning to see a trend where we seemed to be viewed as aliens by our own people! Some feel that we don't deserve being treated as "expatriate" since we are just "one of them".
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by jice(m): 3:32pm On Feb 01, 2010
@ Nana

Will not still come to Naija or you are already here.

Home is HOme oooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by AjanleKoko: 5:59pm On Feb 01, 2010
sendtodeji:

I'm all for going back home if the country and our people will welcome us with open arms. I'm beginning to see a trend where we seemed to be viewed as aliens by our own people! Some feel that we don't deserve being treated as "expatriate" since we are just "one of them".

Maybe you should clarify what you mean by the word 'expatriate' and why you feel you should be treated as one of such.
Sometimes, it sounds like people want to earn huge wages, live in Ikoyi, be chaffeur-driven, etc, just because they came from'abroad'. There was even a word invented in the early days of MTN, 'repats'. That word loosely referred to the MTN employees who came from outside Nigeria.

The term expatriate refers to foreigners in Nigeria, or non-Nigerian nationals. Nigerians holding other nationalities naturally would want to take advantage, owing to the huge disparities in wages between locals and expats. But Nigerians holding Nigerian nationality? It should even be illegal for them to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, you're either a permanent employee, a consultant, or a contractor. Terms and benefits should be structured according to what you are classified as. That's how it works anywhere else in the world, and Nigeria should not be an exception.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by dontworry(m): 6:07pm On Feb 01, 2010
Good Evening All,

I quite enjoy everybody contribution to this topic and our various decision is based on our background , experience and where we are coming from but the fact remains "No Place like Home".

Who does not want to return to his or her own town a celebrity or will you rather prefer to be nobody in the midst of many or a Champion or Hero in your own country? This is food for thought.

SADE! pls can you help me with the list of accrediated Skools in UK because am planning to come down for my Master in Project Management by September.

A not too expensive one pls.

Forward your findings to my mail, Vinnylove@justice.com.

Thanks
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by sendtodeji: 9:16pm On Feb 01, 2010
@AjanleKoko

There are two fundamental issues raised by your post.

1. The problem is not with the "people" as you mentioned. It's rather with the employers. It's not the "people" that set the salary. Take for instance, the issue of foreign qualifications. Why should an employer favor someone with a foreign degree over someone with the same degree obtained from a University in Nigeria? The driver is the force of demand and supply. You know the drill.

2. How did "the huge disparities in wages between locals and expats" came to be? What do expats have that locals don't have in the first place? If expats who are non-Nigerians are paid certain remuneration, why shouldn't Nigerians who have the same level of experience and exposure as them be given the same treatment?

The blame is not on the "people want to earn huge wages, live in Ikoyi, be chaffeur-driven, etc, just because they came from 'abroad'". It is a totality of the mentality, cost of living and dynamics of the Nigerian society. It's also a function of negotiating power, i.e. how you sell yourself. It will be hard for you to find two people working the same job and being paid the same salary. There will always be disparity. It's one of the reasons why someone will leave one company for another. The same reason responsible for why someone might prefer a multinational company to a local company. All the "people" are asking for is to be treated fairly. If someone is hired by a company and is being offered a package that is more than what the locals are offered, then it's not that person's fault. The employer is to be held liable. That doesn't give us the right to castigate them or even hate them. It doesn't make them an inferior to other Nigerians. That is just my point!

Lastly, notice that I have the word "expatriate" in quote. The word is used in it's colloquial form, not necessarily representative of its dictionary meaning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Female Lawyers Should Be Allowed To Wear Trousers In Court / 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation / Man Burns Boss’ Credentials For Refusing To Increase Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.