Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,924 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:36 AM

Big Bang For Dummies - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Big Bang For Dummies (2141 Views)

JW For Dummies / Big-Bang Theory Doesn't Make Enough Sense / Introduction To Witchcraft | 'Witchcraft For Dummies' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big Bang For Dummies by huxley(m): 11:22pm On Jan 04, 2009
Learn more about the Big Bang here
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by mnwankwo(m): 4:14pm On Jan 05, 2009
Nice video. The narrator pointed out evidence for the Bing bang Theory. I guess it will be better if you also post video pointing limitation of the theory. That will give readers a balanced view which they can expand on if they are interested in cosmology. For example you should have a video on the Horizon problem. Why are their no observable evidence or data for theories used to reconcile Horizon problem with the big bang theory? Specifically, why are their no observable evidence so far for cosmic inflation and varying speed of Light theories?
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by huxley(m): 4:26pm On Jan 05, 2009
m_nwankwo:

Nice video. The narrator pointed out evidence for the Bing bang Theory. I guess it will be better if you also post video pointing limitation of the theory. That will give readers a balanced view which they can expand on if they are interested in cosmology. For example you should have a video on the Horizon problem. Why are their no observable evidence or data for theories used to reconcile Horizon problem with the big bang theory? Specifically, why are their no observable evidence so far for cosmic inflation and varying speed of Light theories?

Would glad to if I can find them and if I knew what these problems are. On the question of observable evidence of cosmic inflation, have you ever heard of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), measured stretching of space between gallaxies from the Hubble Telescope, etc, etc. Do you think these do not count as evidence? If so, why?
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by mnwankwo(m): 4:36pm On Jan 05, 2009
huxley:

Would glad to if I can find them and if I knew what these problems are. On the question of observable evidence of cosmic inflation, have you ever heard of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), measured stretching of space between gallaxies from the Hubble Telescope, etc, etc. Do you think these do not count as evidence? If so, why?

Hi again Huxley. CMB is an evidence for Big Bang Theory. It is not an evidence for cosmic inflation. If Big Bang is as is postulated currently, the the two poles of the universe are so far apart that they have no contact with each other and that implies that the temperature, physical properties, etc will also be different. Observable data however show that the extreme poles of the universe are similar. This in simple terms is the Horizon problem. Astro physcists tried to explain this apparent contradiction by propounding new theories, the best of the theories are cosmic inflation and variable light Speed. The question is why are their no observable evidence so far for cosmic inflation and varying light speed?

1 Like

Re: Big Bang For Dummies by huxley(m): 4:54pm On Jan 05, 2009
m_nwankwo:

Hi again Huxley. CMB is an evidence for Big Bang Theory. It is not an evidence for cosmic inflation. If Big Bang is as is postulated currently, the the two poles of the universe are so far apart that they have no contact with each other and that implies that the energy, space time etc will also be different. Observable data however show that the extreme poles of the unverse are similar. This in simple terms is the Horizon problem. Astro physcists tried to explain this apparent contradiction by propounding new theories, the best of the theories are cosmic inflation and variable light Speed. The question is why are their no observable evidence so far for cosmic inflation and varying light speed?

Ah, I see. I did not know that it was called the Hoziron Problem, or maybe I forgot. Let me try and explain it as I understood it when I first read about it.

Cosmic inflation essentially describes the period in the universe's expansion where it is postulated that the universe grew by exponential rates within the first few nanoseconds or less. Now, why this postulation? Because, as vast as the universe is, it remains a matter of great puzzlement how such a vast universe could have attained uniformity in temperature that it currently exhibits.

Cosmic inflation (Alan Guth et al) proposed that in the first few nanoseconds of the expansion, a period called inflation, all the forces of nature (strong force, weak force, electromagnetic and gravity) formed once combined force. As the universe expanded during inflation and before these forces broke apart, a uniform temperature was locked into the fabric of the universe. That is the gist of the theory. Of course, there is more.

Now, Cosmic Inflation does not challenge or invalidates Big Bang. Cosmic inflation is a refinement, focusing on answering the question of the uniformity of temperature in the universe. According to an article I read some months ago, CI is well attested by experimental evidence. Give me some time to track it down.
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by mnwankwo(m): 5:25pm On Jan 05, 2009
Cosmic inflation essentially describes the period in the universe's expansion where it is postulated that the universe grew by exponential rates within the first few nanoseconds or less.  Now, why this postulation?  Because, as vast as the universe is, it remains a matter of great puzzlement how such a vast universe could have attained uniformity in temperature that it currently exhibits.

Sure. What are the observable data for cosmic inflation?

Cosmic inflation (Alan Guth et al) proposed that in the first few nanoseconds of the expansion, a period called inflation, all the forces of nature (strong force, weak force, electromagnetic and gravity) formed once combined force.  As the universe expanded during inflation and before these forces broke apart, a uniform temperature was locked into the fabric of the universe.   That is the gist of the theory.  Of course, there is more.

Again what are the observable evidence for such an inflation. The universe is said to be about 13.7 billion and if the speed of light is constant (as most physist agree), then the light from one end of the universe could not have travelled to the other end of the universe in 13.7 billion years. Thus the ends of the universe do not have any contact with each other and should be hetrogenous. Indeed the big bang theory postulates a heterogenous universe but what is observed is a homogenous universe. Cosmic inflation was used to expalin this contradition to the big bang theory. The problem is that their is no observable evidence of the cosmic inflation.

Now, Cosmic Inflation does not challenge or invalidates Big Bang.  Cosmic inflation is a refinement, focusing on answering the question of the uniformity of temperature in the universe.  According to an article I read some months ago, CI is well attested by experimental evidence.   Give me some time to track it down.

Sure cosmic inflation does not challenge the big bang theory but the Horizon problem does. Cosmic inflation was used to explain away the Horizon problem. I look forward to reading an article showing observable evidence in support of cosmic inflation. quote]
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by huxley(m): 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2009
I cannot find the article I read, but Wikipedia has a good write-up on CI. Check it out. It talks about the predictive power of the theory. It also talk about work underway to verify the theory with some subtle measurements of the CMB
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by mnwankwo(m): 6:03pm On Jan 05, 2009
huxley:

I cannot find the article I read, but Wikipedia has a good write-up on CI. Check it out. It talks about the predictive power of the theory. It also talk about work underway to verify the theory with some subtle measurements of the CMB

Thanks. I have read the article. I await the time the theory will be verified by showing observable evidence. So far there is no such evidence. As long as they are not able to demonstrate a significant change in the temperature of the CMB at various time frames at and after the big bang, the CI remains a postulation, albeit an excellent one with enormous predictive power. I am not saying that cosmic inflation did or didnot occure. All I am saying is that their is no observable data from the universe verifying it. Until such is found, the horizon problem is a big fundamental challenge to the big bang theory or at least some aspects of the big bang theory.
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by huxley(m): 6:09pm On Jan 05, 2009
Have found some videos of Alan Guth on Youtube talking about CI. Here is one of them
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by mnwankwo(m): 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2009
huxley:

Have found some videos of Alan Guth on Youtube talking about CI. Here is one of them

Thanks. The video is nice. Alan Guth himself admits that although the CI can be used to make cosmological predictions which are accurate, they have no observable evidence of CI or how it works. That is the problem. Observable data is what is needed to verify, modify or reject the postulations of CI.

1 Like

Re: Big Bang For Dummies by WesleyanA(f): 1:50am On Jan 06, 2009
big bang theory seem comical to me for some reason. even the name makes me laugh everytime grin
Re: Big Bang For Dummies by duduspace(m): 2:38am On Jan 07, 2009
WesleyanA:

big bang theory seem comical to me for some reason. even the name makes me laugh everytime grin
Yeah, but ignorance is bliss right? let us all just beleive that one big man up there suddenly decided to start speaking and when it starts sounding silly, let us try to merge it as much as possible with scientific discovery and always place the imaginary big man at the limit of human knowledge. What simpletons.

(1) (Reply)

In Search Of An Igbo Gospel Song: / Christianity In Crisis - A Must Read For All True Christians And Converts / Dog Breeds, Banned?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.