Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory (41374 Views)

Profitability Of Broilers & Layers Production. / Pilot Poultry Biz Project(a Case Study On The Profitability Of Raising Broilers) / Ugwu Farming//best Practices And Profitability ? Please Contribute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:22pm On Feb 16, 2015
mercylicious:

what of converting to garri? There is so much demand for garri. it doesnt need advert. Dont u think u will.make.more money turning it into garri, increasing shelf life, storing and even selling off harvest season?
Is there a way to automate frying garri and still get ijebu quality?
The only people that make use of cassava in my area is garri processors. Every 1 in 4 household has a local gari processor. A 50kg garri sells between N3,000 to N3,500. Most time is the northerners that come with trailers to load it.
In essence we have supplus gari
Yes. There is a company named Niji Lukas located in Ilero. a village also in Saki area.
I think he does some exportation
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
Yes, Ijebu garri can be produced. The end issue is market. Who and where is your target
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 11:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
mercylicious:

what of converting to garri? There is so much demand for garri. it doesnt need advert. Dont u think u will.make.more money turning it into garri, increasing shelf life, storing and even selling off harvest season?

Is there a way to automate frying garri and still get ijebu quality?

Very possible. The very sour nature of Ijebu gari is simply because instead of the regular 2 days fermentation, the cassava pulp is left to ferment for 7 days.

There are automated gari friers. The last I checked with Capsfeed or NVNL, it was N450,000. The issue is that it takes at least N4m to N5m to setup a basic processing unit. This includes the building, fencing of the land and other capital expenses not related to the core machinery. Though amarawa was talking of a complete processing unit that goes for N500,000. He dropped a name but I could not get any information on the company online.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 11:28pm On Feb 16, 2015
jethro2:

The only people that make use of cassava in my area is garri processors. Every 1 in 4 household has a local gari processor. A 50kg garri sells between N3,000 to N3,500. Most time is the northerners that come with trailers to load it.
In essence we have supplus gari
Yes. There is a company named Niji Lukas located in Ilero. a village also in Saki area.
I think he does some exportation

They load at N3,500, transport it to Dawanau market in Kano where buyers come and buy all the way from Niger, Chad, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso and Northern Cameroun. They smile to the bank and the only people who are crying are the Saki farmers.

Doesn't that indicate that the farmers are not getting this right? Processing has gone beyond the household stuff I personally used to do in my backyard when Buhari's essenco policy was pounding Nigeria hard in 1984/85. You need capacity with modern machines to produce volume. That is the only way it can be viable.

5 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:43pm On Feb 16, 2015
stagger:

They load at N3,500, transport it to Dawanau market in Kano where buyers come and buy all the way from Niger, Chad, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso and Northern Cameroun. They smile to the bank and the only people who are crying are the Saki farmers.
Doesn't that indicate that the farmers are not getting this right? Processing has gone beyond the household stuff I personally used to do in my backyard when Buhari's essenco policy was pounding Nigeria hard in 1984/85.
You need capacity with modern machines to produce volume. That is the only way it can be viable.
@Stagger
I have learnt and taught myself to stay off your post or comments or threads.
The reason is i don't take to being derided or snide at when i express myself which i notice you are very good at.
I will appreciate if you can pass your message across with some decorum.
stagger:
. They smile to the bank and the only people who are crying are the Saki farmers.
The above statement is totally uncalled for.

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 11:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
jethro2:

@Stagger
I have learnt and taught myself to stay off your post or comments or threads.
The reason is i don't take to being derided or snide at when i express myself which i notice you are very good at.
I will appreciate if you can pass your message across with some decorum.

The above statement is totally uncalled for.

I can see you are too childish to learn anything from this thread or this forum. You love picking quarrels with anyone and everyone. Who was deriding anyone here? Did you even read the posts well at all to see what point was being made? You see what you want to see and believe what you want to believe.

Your hormones do your thinking for you, not your brain. I am out of here.

15 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 7:06am On Feb 17, 2015
stagger:

I can see you are too childish to learn anything from this thread or this forum. You love picking quarrels with anyone and everyone. Who was deriding anyone here? Did you even read the posts well at all to see what point was being made? You see what you want to see and believe what you want to believe.
Your hormones do your thinking for you, not your brain. I am out of here.
I will pretend i did not understand the gibberish you wrote.
But one important thing is I am grateful the Nairaland Methuselah left my thread.
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 7:11am On Feb 17, 2015
The farmers in my area keep planting cassava because there is are no alternative crop.
The federal government has no one single processing plant that utilizes cassava.
The cassava processors don't pay until after 3 to 4 weeks of supply.
The suppliers bear the transport cost.
As per the yield of 30 to 40 tonnes, we will discuss it when i get back from morning farm

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Fhemmmy: 12:50pm On Feb 17, 2015
jethro2:
The farmers in my area keep planting cassava because there is are no alternative crop.
The federal government has no one single processing plant that utilizes cassava.
The cassava processors don't pay until after 3 to 4 weeks of supply.
The suppliers bear the transport cost.
As per the yield of 30 to 40 tonnes, we will discuss it when i get back from morning farm

I am interested in this aspect so much..... would like to talk you, please send me your contact, thanks And not sure if possible to tell how much was used to cultivate each hectare of land of cassava till ready to sell
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 1:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I am interested in this aspect so much..... would like to talk you, please send me your contact, thanks And not sure if possible to tell how much was used to cultivate each hectare of land of cassava till ready to sell
My contact no is 08064688501.
Yes. Its possible to give the cost in my area. There will definitely be some difference which could be more or less.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by JAkpayen(m): 1:20pm On Feb 17, 2015
@jethro2
stagger is telling you the basic facts. If you really want to make money from cassava, try processing it further into flour. Either you acquire a cassava processing equipment or partner with a processing company. I tell you that a ton of cassava flour is sold @ N80,000

15 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 2:07pm On Feb 17, 2015
30 - 40 tonnes yield of cassava from an hectare.
Yes its attainable but highly difficult for the following reasons.
Most research where the results are quoted from are done under controlled environment.
1. They don't wait for rain. They use irrigation
2. Every possible treatment for integrated soil fertility is applied.
3. Pest and diseases are control to the barest minimum.
4. The cuttings/stem used are the highly resistance type.
5. Multiplier effects is used to decide the yield.
Multiplier effect is such that the research is carried out on a plot of land. The result is then multiplied to get the yield for an hectare.
6. Two plots of land can not give you the same yield despite using the same treatment all through.
7. One needs to follow through all the procedures recommended. This is not an easy feat to achieve on an expanse of land

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 2:42pm On Feb 17, 2015
JAkpayen:
@jethro2
stagger is telling you the basic facts. If you really want to make money from cassava, try processing it further into flour. Either you acquire a cassava processing equipment or partner with a processing company. I tell you that a ton of cassava flour is sold @ N80,000
Sincerely I am not disputing his opinion. My point is one could pass information with some decorum.
Acquiring cassava flour processing plant is not a child's play.

5 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On Feb 17, 2015
jethro2:

Yes. Its possible to give the cost in my area. There will definitely be some difference which could be more or less.

Great and will surely talk to you soon, while learning on your thread . . . Thanks.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
hehehe.
spreads mat n sipping my zobo drink.

Jethro, u are my friend, bt take it easy wit stagger. dont make anyone ur permanent enemy. ur outburst was uncalled for. both of u are saying d same thing- process ur cassava.

7 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by sheyi86: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2015
i appreciate wot jethro has stated so far which is d truth of d matter. Wot legsup stated in 1 guy thread abt cassava isnt true likewise stagger, do u kno hw many processing units we av in SW alone hwever 2 even process cassava into product is it even easy? I and my collegues processed cassava int 4 products as our project i.e flour garri fufu and starch and we sold them by ourself we only made profit frm fufu wen i calculated d amount we spent on gari processing i discovered dat we made loss.jethro is a practical farmer.And how many cassava farmer has made it frm even cassava processing. Jethro ride on joor i dey follow reality.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 5:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
sheyi86:
i appreciate wot jethro has stated so far which is d truth of d matter. Wot legsup stated in 1 guy thread abt cassava isnt true likewise stagger, do u kno hw many processing units we av in SW alone hwever 2 even process cassava into product is it even easy? I and my collegues processed cassava int 4 products as our project i.e flour garri fufu and starch and we sold them by ourself we only made profit frm fufu wen i calculated d amount we spent on gari processing i discovered dat we made loss.jethro is a practical farmer.And how many cassava farmer has made it frm even cassava processing. Jethro ride on joor i dey follow reality.

Let those who are in the darkness and decide to stay in the darkness remain in their darkness. Those who decide to make changes and transit from darkness to light do so. As for me, I have no part in those who decide to remain in the dark. I have done business long enough to know that the difference between profit and loss is small changes made to a process. But those who are impervious to change will continue to languish in their darkness.

I suggest you take a trip to Joe Begg Bajju cassava processing plant in Nasarawa state and have the cobwebs cleared from your head. The man supplies his cassava flour as far as Dunamis church. A little professional input from the CFC, Netherlands was all that was needed to turn the story of that place around.

It is up to you to embrace light or continue in darkness.

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Queendo(f): 5:30pm On Feb 17, 2015
jethro2:

Is dis my tomatoes boss am following and learning frm d prof in Agric. U are indeed inspiring millions of people. God bless u.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by julibos: 7:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
Hi Jethro
I must say I really love the way you pass on your experience to those reading, I find your style very expressive and engaging….keep up the good work. I can see you are multitalented, not just in farming but in teaching and writing as well. And I really think what we lack in Nigeria is exposure to some form of technicalities that will make our pursuit seamless and also 100% cooperation and sincerity from the government seems what we get is half measures, for instance someone mentioned Horticulture on the first page, I heard recently during the valentine period that the flower business is a big one, but we do not have many doing it here or let’s say we don’t have enough people like Jethro sharing their pros and cons experienced in the course of their venture. Leant in Kenya a stem of rose is around 40naira for one but here its 1200naira for same flower. Imagine the difference, this is because production for this is low here, hence we bring in from other countries…..more people like Jethro should please share more ,I guess naijas out there too should offer help in the area of expertise…..ride on Jethro….sofry sofry on stagger o. looking at his post there is a point there, but I guess it comes out as though there’s little or no acknowledgement or appreciation for your effort or experience but I doubt if he meant to hurt anyone with his insight. Anyway long story, I love what you are doing and feel really inspired, so many are bored at routine desk job…loool. This is the way to go.

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Pavore9: 8:30pm On Feb 17, 2015
julibos:
Hi Jethro
I must say I really love the way you pass on your experience to those reading, I find your style very expressive and engaging….keep up the good work. I can see you are multitalented, not just in farming but in teaching and writing as well. And I really think what we lack in Nigeria is exposure to some form of technicalities that will make our pursuit seamless and also 100% cooperation and sincerity from the government seems what we get is half measures, for instance someone mentioned Horticulture on the first page, I heard recently during the valentine period that the flower business is a big one, but we do not have many doing it here or let’s say we don’t have enough people like Jethro sharing their pros and cons experienced in the course of their venture. Leant in Kenya a stem of rose is around 40naira for one but here its 1200naira for same flower. Imagine the difference, this is because production for this is low here, hence we bring in from other countries…..more people like Jethro should please share more ,I guess naijas out there too should offer help in the area of expertise…..ride on Jethro….sofry sofry on stagger o. looking at his post there is a point there, but I guess it comes out as though there’s little or no acknowledgement or appreciation for your effort or experience but I doubt if he meant to hurt anyone with his insight. Anyway long story, I love what you are doing and feel really inspired, so many are bored at routine desk job…loool. This is the way to go.

l did mention horticulture on the first page, living in Nairobi and seeing what is going on, l swore never to have anything to do with cassava farming, let those who are in love with it continue! Coming to flowers, Kenya and Kenyans are reaping it big from flower export as every night different airlines air-freights flowers to Europe for sale the next morning as 70% of roses sold in European Supermarkets are from Kenya. Most
painful is that Nigerians import those same flowers from Europe!

Anyone that tells me that their weather favours flower growing more than Nigeria is high on fermented plantain root (l have drank it grin). Our weather distribution is vast just like Kenya's. Their Northern part is just like ours dry and dusty though there are places as cold like Scotland.l could liken Nairobi's weather to that of the Middle-belt. We just lack the will and capacity to be involved in it.

l would rather do vegetables like cabbage, lettuce, carrots, French beans, Eggplants etc as these crop accrue more income at a shorter time frame than the traditional cassava we are used to though there are also profit in it but the market structure does not favour the farmer who spent many months on the farm but individuals who are involved after it leaves the farm.

This links can give anyone an idea of what l am talking about.

http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---domestic.php

http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---export.php

Click on the picture of the desired crop and read the details.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Great and will surely talk to you soon, while learning on your thread . . . Thanks.
You are welcome sir
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
mercylicious:
hehehe.
spreads mat n sipping my zobo drink.
Jethro, u are my friend, bt take it easy wit stagger. dont make anyone ur permanent enemy. ur outburst was uncalled for. both of u are saying d same thing- process ur cassava.
I appreciate you sister. Thank you
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:11pm On Feb 17, 2015
sheyi86:
Thank you sir
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
Queendo:

Is dis my tomatoes boss am following and learning frm d prof in Agric. U are indeed inspiring millions of people. God bless u.
Thank you ma
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
julibos:
Hi Jethro
Thank you sir.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:17pm On Feb 17, 2015
Pavore9:

l did mention horticulture on the first page, living in Nairobi and seeing what is going on, l swore never to have anything to do with cassava farming, let those who are in love with it continue! Coming to flowers, Kenya and Kenyans are reaping it big from flower export as every night different airlines air-freights flowers to Europe for sale the next morning as 70% of roses sold in European Supermarkets are from Kenya. Most
painful is that Nigerians import those same flowers from Europe!
Anyone that tells me that their weather favours flower growing more than Nigeria is high on fermented plantain root (l have drank it grin). Our weather distribution is vast just like Kenya's. Their Northern part is just like ours dry and dusty though there are places as cold like Scotland.l could liken Nairobi's weather to that of the Middle-belt. We just lack the will and capacity to be involved in it.
l would rather do vegetables like cabbage, lettuce, carrots, French beans, Eggplants etc as these crop accrue more income at a shorter time frame than the traditional cassava we are used to though there are also profit in it but the market structure does not favour the farmer who spent many months on the farm but individuals who are involved after it leaves the farm.
This links can give anyone an idea of what l am talking about.
http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---domestic.php
http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---export.php
Click on the picture of the desired crop and read the details.
Horticulture is the way to go.
Thank you sir for the link
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by waka2: 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
Daily,i can't help myself bt must visit here to learn 4rm jethro, pavore,jasper,soloxam,lesgup stagger and some other guys.you guys are wondaful you dnt know the giants you are breeding now bt believe u will see the impact in nearest future, ur teachings arguments differences are all wonderful GOD bless you all. well done.

5 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:28pm On Feb 18, 2015
waka2:
Daily,i can't help myself bt must visit here to learn 4rm jethro, pavore,jasper,soloxam,lesgup stagger and some other guys.you guys are wondaful you dnt know the giants you are breeding now bt believe u will see the impact in nearest future, ur teachings arguments differences are all wonderful GOD bless you all. well done.
My Oga you are welcome
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:27pm On Feb 18, 2015
I do not want to comment initially because i always want to mind my business but as my name being mentioned, i feel the need to put out one or two statements.

@sheyi86: can you please state what i stated on the guy's thread that is not true here?
Wot legsup
stated in 1 guy thread abt cassava isnt true
You sound like a neophyte.

Because you make loss in processing your cassava, does it means other processors are not making good profit?
If you do make loss,then it means that you don't know some things that will make you also to make profit and need to go for more knowledge from experts that are making money from the venture.

When i was starting out in agribusness,i once lose over half a million cultivating watermelon.

Does that mean if someone comes out and say he/she make millions of.naira from watermelon criticise or label him as a fraud?

I learnt from my mistakes,learn from established watermelon.farmers and since then all the watermelon i cultivated was profitable,likewise for other crops.

A lot of theories i would not want to puncture here because everybody has right to his/her own opinion.
Even 2 farmers cultivating the same crop, at the same location cannot be guaranteed to make profit. One may make profit while the other may make loss.
It all boils down to experience, indepth knowledge of the crops and the market, contacts of reliable buyers,managerial skills. e.t.c

6 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 3:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
There are several starch processors such as Psaltry International in Ado Awaye area of Oyo State, Thai Farm in Ososa, Ogun State, Green Tech in Agbara Ogun State, Matna in Akure, Ehka Agro in Lagos now closed, a distilleries in Sango Otta etc.
All the factories are privately owned and therefore at liberty to fix their price.
Farmers are usually at their mercy.
The demand for starch by FCMG is so high that Heinekein is currently partnering with Psaltry to expand their production.

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
The processors want to maximise their profit thereby extorting farmers.
"Why don't you set up a processing unit"?
"Fabricate the machine and produce starch"
"convert to garri and make money"
"Process into chips and export"
"Cassava flour has been mandated to be used in bakeries"
These are some of the questions that could be popping up in ones mind.
I will take them one by one in my own way

"WHY DONT YOU SET UP A PROCESSING UNIT
The demand for cassava starch is high but it comes with standard specification.
A starch processor i was privilege to meet said the machineries alone cost not less than N10,000,000.
This is excluding building, other facilities and even water supply through borehole. The factory have over 5 boreholes placed in strategic locations.

FABRICATE THE MACHINES WITH N500,000
The quality of starch produced by using recommended standard machineries quite differs from what the locally fabricated machines could dish out.
Don't forget we have got a specific quality to meet

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 3:56pm On Feb 18, 2015
CONVERT TO GARRI AND MAKE MONEY.
I read a lot of post that says one can make a lot by processing cassava into garri.
I completely disagree with this.
Why?
After farming, the expected major business in the rural area is gari making.
That's what makes gari a poor mans food. Its easily accessible.
I have processed cassava to gari before on commercial basis I still have the fryer, grater etc.
"Labourers could mess you up"
"Water supply could just seize"

"But its not mechanised"
Some people will say
The last time i was at IITA to make enquiries about the gari fryer, one of their staff said and i quote:
"One will be very fortunate to get a gari fryer that will produce the same quality as the manual frying. Even there is a manual frying section beside the advertised machineries.

Marketing of garri is another issue on its own.
"What are you offering that is not in existence"?
"Who are your target market"?
"How do you intend to displace the existing sellers"?
"What extra value are you adding"?
"Have you factor in your transportation cost"?
"Are you renting a shop to sell or you will get distributors/marketers"?
"Storage facilities or no arrangement for that"
Yes, you will make lot of money from processing into garri.
It depends on how much work you are willing to put in to achieve that.
Nothing comes easy.
Most write up online make one feels you automatically becomes rich when you process cassava into garri
Please figure it out

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bill Gates Funds Nigerian Rice Production / Top 10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria You Need To Know / When Does A Turkey Start Laying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.