Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory (41368 Views)

Profitability Of Broilers & Layers Production. / Pilot Poultry Biz Project(a Case Study On The Profitability Of Raising Broilers) / Ugwu Farming//best Practices And Profitability ? Please Contribute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by aleshsenior2000(m): 7:56am On Mar 14, 2015
Silent Follower
@ NobleFarm, if you don't mind there is cassava processing company at Ondo State. called Matna Foods. just in case.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by ogb5(m): 5:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
Pavore9:

l did mention horticulture on the first page, living in Nairobi and seeing what is going on, l swore never to have anything to do with cassava farming, let those who are in love with it continue! Coming to flowers, Kenya and Kenyans are reaping it big from flower export as every night different airlines air-freights flowers to Europe for sale the next morning as 70% of roses sold in European Supermarkets are from Kenya. Most
painful is that Nigerians import those same flowers from Europe!

Anyone that tells me that their weather favours flower growing more than Nigeria is high on fermented plantain root (l have drank it grin). Our weather distribution is vast just like Kenya's. Their Northern part is just like ours dry and dusty though there are places as cold like Scotland.l could liken Nairobi's weather to that of the Middle-belt. We just lack the will and capacity to be involved in it.

l would rather do vegetables like cabbage, lettuce, carrots, French beans, Eggplants etc as these crop accrue more income at a shorter time frame than the traditional cassava we are used to though there are also profit in it but the market structure does not favour the farmer who spent many months on the farm but individuals who are involved after it leaves the farm.

This links can give anyone an idea of what l am talking about.

http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---domestic.php

http://www.royalseed.biz/seeds---export.php

Click on the picture of the desired crop and read the details.

nice info
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 8:08am On Apr 02, 2015
Dear Nairalanders
The essence of the thread is to give people the général view of what is currently happening in the cassava sector.
I am presently not a cassava advocate so please stop sending mails, calls or whatsapp on cassava stuff to me.
I am an ordinary farmer who have information but can not assisst or write business plan or feasibility study for any crop at all.
Please consult with professionals to do that for you
Henceforth those messages, mails or whatsapp remain ignore.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by zimoni(f): 12:36pm On May 18, 2015
Lesgupnigeria, jethro2, stagger and other contributors

You have all done well. I've learnt a lot from this thread.

It is well.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by WhoBeThisMan: 10:16am On May 20, 2015
jethro2:
Dear Nairalanders
The essence of the thread is to give people the général view of what is currently happening in the cassava sector.
I am presently not a cassava advocate so please stop sending mails, calls or whatsapp on cassava stuff to me.
I am an ordinary farmer who have information but can not assisst or write business plan or feasibility study for any crop at all.
Thank you
I will like to know what you think of processing the cassava into dried cassava chips and exporting them

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 31, 2016
Fhemmmy:

I personally think if you are able to do this, it will clear a lot of doubts and help all the novice to know more about how to make money from cassava farming. ... of course with permission from the farmers...... I am still following you too to learn.... but wanna make sure I dont get burnt in the cassava venture before I do, so would to verify all verifiableS
Am afraid to get caught up in uncertainty, when am ready I guess cocoa is the way to go for ME and my FAMILY!
I have discovered many rush into agribusiness thinking of spending little to earn more,many are rushing into plantain farming too having be told sucker cost N100 and you sell for 1k,to clear anyone mind visit mile 12 plantain market,it sells for N500 deduct labor and transport cost.
Cocoa plantation cuts it for me. The only problem is the middlemen/agents who rip farmers off their labor. I am awaiting response from Olam to know how to deal directly with them.
My only regret is that we didn't look after our inherited plantation from our 3rd generation of more than 60years now,majority got burnt but mind you when things where tough it served us even though it was of the old variety and its still does In fact my dad has started re- planting with the hybrid. This income is not quite much but it is reliable and the market is readily available.

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 31, 2016
jethro2:
Dear Nairalanders
Thank you

Business plan?
Farming is practical and not theory which is why I value your write up,iita said new variety yield 49 to 53 tons per hectare,I knew better and that was how I stumbled on this thread to hear the realities of cassava farming.
Kudos to you,I only value the input of people who have first hand experience on how things are done e.g a man once told me when I went for training @ ISPON he said,nigerians phd holders in petroleum engineering cant put 1 and 2 together to operate a viable oil sector/refinery yet they call the Niger deltans who build illegal refineries illiterate! Who is an illiterate here? This how agric investment is.
all this rubbish and unrealistic business plans and blog articles online is misleading to individuals who can't undergo independent research to sieve the wheat from the chaff. I appreciate your input

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Fhemmmy: 2:48am On Feb 01, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Am afraid to get caught up in uncertainty, when am ready I guess cocoa is the way to go for ME and my FAMILY!
I have discovered many rush into agribusiness thinking of spending little to earn more,many are rushing into plantain farming too having be told sucker cost N100 and you sell for 1k,to clear anyone mind visit mile 12 plantain market,it sells for N500 deduct labor and transport cost.
Cocoa plantation cuts it for me. The only problem is the middlemen/agents who rip farmers off their labor. I am awaiting response from Olam to know how to deal directly with them.
My only regret is that we didn't look after our inherited plantation from our 3rd generation of more than 60years now,majority got burnt but mind you when things where tough it served us even though it was of the old variety and its still does In fact my dad has started re- planting with the hybrid. This income is not quite much but it is reliable and the market is readily available.

Bros, nice to read this.... in fact, I am seriously thinking about this too but I know next to nothing about cocoa plantation..... I won't mind to sit under you to be thought sir.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by lolade123: 6:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
Evening house, at first, I appreciate the OP and other men on this thread for the knowledge they shared thus far. I studied agricultural engineering, a fresh graduate and awaiting NYSC posting.
That said, I have successfully designed a two row cassava stalk planting machine, requires no human input, and it will be trailed by a tractor. Infact, am about to begin the fabrication this week.
My question is this, how much and how long does it cost to plant an acre/hectare of cassava farmland. All am trying to do is a comparative analysis of labour cost to machine cost, and also labour efficiency to machine efficiency.
This will help me know if the innovation am bringing into the cassava planting process is worth it. Thank you all in advance, for your informed response.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 10:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Pls how much do hybrid cocoa cost nd what's the duration of maturity?
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
noblefarm:

Pls how much do hybrid cocoa cost nd what's the duration of maturity?
@ Ibadan it cost N70,maturity is 3years.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 11:53pm On Mar 14, 2016
IHate9ja1:

@ Ibadan it cost N70,maturity is 3years.

Thanks. I heard there's 18months variety now
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 15, 2016
noblefarm:

Thanks. I heard there's 18months variety now
Well maybe,I didn't do my research on the maturity stuff but for sure the price is confirmed from CRIN!
If you buy from ARMAJARO
NIGERIA LIMITED they sell @ subsidized rate my dad bought his hybrid seedlings from them @ N20.

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by mrvitalis(m): 6:09pm On Jun 04, 2016
stagger:

The book that contains the maps is not even in print anymore. I am working to get another copy through one of the authors. If I succeed, I will tell you how to get it.
Boss did you finally get the books??
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by FKBZ: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Business plan?
Farming is practical and not theory which is why I value your write up,iita said new variety yield 49 to 53 tons per hectare,I knew better and that was how I stumbled on this thread to hear the realities of cassava farming.
Kudos to you,I only value the input of people who have first hand experience on how things are done e.g a man once told me when I went for training @ ISPON he said,nigerians phd holders in petroleum engineering cant put 1 and 2 together to operate a viable oil sector/refinery yet they call the Niger deltans who build illegal refineries illiterate! Who is an illiterate here? This how agric investment is.
all this rubbish and unrealistic business plans and blog articles online is misleading to individuals who can't undergo independent research to sieve the wheat from the chaff. I appreciate your input

Pls do u have anyone contact in iita,need to get plaintain sulkers
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 23, 2016
FKBZ:

Pls do u have anyone contact in iita,need to get plaintain sulkers
no,i visited their website where i mailed them and they in turn got back to me. I suggest you do the same
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by FKBZ: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
IHate9ja1:

no,i visited their website where i mailed them and they in turn got back to me. I suggest you do the same
Thank you.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by bashman290(m): 10:35am On Jul 17, 2017
[quote author=FKBZ post=47824135]
Thank you.[/quoteHOW TO START A PROFITABLE CASSAVA FARM BY BOLBASH AND SON NIGERIA ENTERPRISES
1. Get a piece of land e.g 1hectare if u are new to the business or lack of capital @ #12500
2. Hire tractor @ d rate of #20000 per hectare
3. Buy Paraforce powder and Paraforce herbicide @ #4000
4. Spray it on the cultivated land #4000 laborer
5. Buy IITA improved cassava stem #500/bundle, you will need 75bundles per hectare.
6 plant the cassava stem after 10 days u sprayed the herbicides.
7. Go and relax for good 3 monthh or above for second weeding. If you don't make profit with this procedure never believe me again.
8. Note, you have to choose a suitable land and high yield cassava varieties. For land advice, land lease, tractor hire, cassava stem, maize seed and so on call on 07068886619 or email bolbashandson@gmail.com

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by memzy247: 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2017
noblefarm:
Was in my cassava farm yesterday, 10 months old now. Need buyer soon
Hello, my name is Ayo. I am very new here and hardly know my way around the site yet; if you don't mind, I would like to discuss with you on a proposal; my number is 08133381400
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Bayucular(m): 4:42pm On Aug 18, 2017
Good day all,
My name is Bayo. Please where can i get Cassava Starch in Ogun/oyo axis?
appreciate your support.
Regards

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 3:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
Training youth on agriculture without helping them to set up will amount to not creating Job..

So my team decide to provide little assistance for participants that might choose to start their own farm after the training with..

* Land + Water Access
Ploughable land at a token

* Technical Support
Every information require to set up the farm

* Market
We buy back the vegetables.

Requirement

Must have attend the Intensive 3 months organic fruits and vegetable training.

Contact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 6:08am On Mar 22, 2018
May 7th is just by the corner.
For those that we could not accommodate for the month of March

Start planning from now towards May.
Remember its first come first serve.

We have limited accommodation

The Cluster fruits and vegetable project has started.

* 1000 farmers with 1000 acre
* Producing crops all year round with irrigation
* Creating employment
* Available markets with retail stores
* Access to land for every participants
* Technical supports for all farm activities

You sure don't have an excuse.

Training duration is 3 months after which participant can ...

* 1. Choose to work with farms as farm managers on salary basis.
Jobs are available.
We link you up.
Salary scale: N50,000 upward
Farm accommodation will be provided

* 2. Choose to join the cluster group in managing his own farm with all technical support provided by the team at some cost
- Market supply every 2 weeks
- Consistence production
- Water supply all year round

* 3. Choose to go and start his or her own farm at anywhere.
- Technical supports, after training consultation still available from our team

Training and farm location
1 Balogun Street
Ago Amodu.
Saki East LGA of Oyo State

Duration for training
3 months

Training Participatory Fee :
N40,000

Transport from Hostel to Farm
N600 per week

Feeding
Participants Feed themselves

Food commodities are relatively affordable in the village side.

Payment for registration are made into
Entrepreneur Youth Cooperative Multipurpose
Stanbic IBTC Saki

Contact for more detail
Yinka : 08064688501
Alfa : 07089815690
Tolulope : 08061633193
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Mmkgroup5(f): 1:33am On Apr 01, 2018
jethro2:
I discussed with my IFDC contacts.
If you where my brother I would have given u a hot slap. You don't have sense. You are nothing but a fool. Everyone knows u can't relay on government. Are you the first that will go into it?? Your story is not tap you are disorganize there are other ways of marketing goods. U don't know what you are doing. Obasanjo will never go into something that is not lucrative. You would have sold it when u got that offer. Because you failed urself you want our young youth to be scared. Cover ur face abeg. I wasted my time to read your yeye story. They refered me back to the Madam that offers N10,000 per tonne.
After all her place is the nearest compare to other processor. I would be able to save some cost.
"Sorry, I already have farmers supplying me and your farm is too far to my factory was her response"
My locality to her factory is about an hour and a half journey.
Meanwhile the farmland that her contact gave my partner for the failed cassava project is not less than 3 hours.
Na so life be
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Mmkgroup5(f): 1:36am On Apr 01, 2018
Fool
jethro2:
Dear Nairalanders
Thank you
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Mmkgroup5(f): 1:45am On Apr 01, 2018
Wise talk. Him no one hang him coat according to him seize
stagger:
A very enlightening story, but not strange for those of us who have done some business with government. The truth is this: you can never put critical aspects of your business in the hands of government or those claiming to represent govt.

I have had people bring proposals to me worth hundreds of millions of naira. For that particular business, the YouWIN grant gave me massive capacity to the point where I now deal with foreign clients. So I have Nigerians bringing proposals, hoping to leverage on my capacity. They tell me things like "the Minister is interested in this.." or "I have a link to the Presidency..." to "this job is for the government of so so and so state. In fact, we just met the governor the other day..." and all the blah blah blah blah blah.

When they come with this big talk, I laugh. I have been doing business since I was a teenager in the 80s. I can tell you I have seen a lot of things. People come with all sorts of big talk, big promises, big dreams. I simply laugh and put a few questions to them and puncture everything they say. Some rethink the whole job, some get annoyed, leave and then run into an endless frustrating cycle.

Back to our agriculture. You see, anyone who clearly studied OBJ's agric program which was led by Boma Anga will see that there was a lot of loopholes in the whole stuff. Noble idea, but bad implementation. No legal framework to back anything up. When it comes to cassava, you can NEVER make any money hoping to sell to processors, unless maybe like Legsupnigeria, you just have the good luck of meeting processors who can respect a commodities futures contract the way it is done abroad.

The only way to go is to buy your own processing equipment, then identify a market for your product BEFORE planting. The high perishability rate of cassava puts farmers at the mercy of processors and the processors know it. The processor can hold out for as long as possible. The farmer can not and eventually, the farmer will have to give in.

Everything in life has a plan. If you are in cassava and you are not making any plans to build your own processing factory, no matter how small, you will be in for a very long and frustrating journey. That is just the way it is.

We should also look at a number of factors. There is a lot of talk of E-10, which is supposed to be the new fuel for cars in Nigeria with 90% petrol and 10% ethanol. Do you think that project will see the light of day as long as the fuel import cabal is in place, donating billions to the ruling party? I think not. Point here: try not to depend on a govt policy. In Nigeria, policies are only as old as the governments that formulate them. We can see how difficult it has been for the composite flour policy to take off.

My 2 cents is this. Farm other crops, save money, buy your cassava processing equipment, identify a ready market for your PROCESSED CASSAVA (not raw tubers), before you actually start planting. You can sell gari, starch and flour to end users with good marketing and make your money. You do not need to put yourself in the hands of the mobile processors, companies like GIZ and all. Not worth it.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by abescom: 7:05pm On Apr 03, 2018
Following
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by anibirelawal(m): 8:26am On Apr 16, 2018
Lesgupnigeria:

There is no large scale cassava processing company in south west that i have not sold cassava to in one time or the other, so i can tell you the best scenarios to deal with them to make good profit and otherwise.

I have been trying to reach you on your mobile but not going through. Please which company can you recomend as at now that have a good pay for cassava. if you know any, kindly reply me with their prices. thanks.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by FINA4804(f): 5:31pm On Apr 20, 2018
@Op, thanks for the thread, pls are you still into Cassava farming, there are some questions I will like to ask you

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bill Gates Funds Nigerian Rice Production / Top 10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria You Need To Know / When Does A Turkey Start Laying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.