Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,867 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships (8174 Views)

Buhari To Commission Osogbo High School In Osun (photo) / Dickson Hoodwinks Jonathan To Commission Flyover - Sahara Reporters / Aregbesola Set To Commission Ejigbo High School (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 4:26pm On Feb 16, 2015
Jonathan to Commission Four Naval War Ships This Week

By Senator Iroegbu in Abuja
In line with the ongoing efforts to strengthen the nation's maritime boundaries and territorial waters, President Goodluck Jonathan will on Thursday Commission four newly acquired naval warships for the Nigerian Navy (NN).
The Naval Director of Information (DINFO), Commodore Kabiru Aliyu, in a statement on Sunday confirmed the recently delivered four warships as NNS CENTENARY, NNS OKPABANA, NNS PROSPERITY and NNS SAGBAMA.
Aliyu said the commissioning ceremony of the ships will be performed by the President Jonathan at the Naval Dockyard Ltd, Victoria Island, Lagos.
He noted that the acquisition of the naval ships is a landmark achievement for the Nigerian Navy and the Federal Government.
According to him, "the occasion is unique because this is the first time in the history of the Nigerian Navy that four capital warships will be commissioned at once.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-to-commission-four-naval-war-ships-this-week/201957/
From the pictures below:
1st Ship: NNS Okpabana F92 - Ex-US CoastGuard Cutter Galatin 3250 ton ship
2nd Ship: NN Centenary F91- Chinese built 1800 ton OPV
3rd/4thShip: NNS Prosperity F93? - 1,020 ton ex-Irish Naval Force OPV, Emer
The final ship to be commissioned is likely NNS SAGBAMA - the 38 metre Made-in-Nigeria patrol craft. It conforms to the naming pattern for other 38 metre platforms which bear place names eg NNS Burutu, NNS Zaria

Pics from beegeagle.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by assu2013(m): 4:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
[quote author=mojounited post=30787641][/quote]Nice move for political reason or to fight BH na!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2015
I've always been an advocate of arming and equipping our armed forces in order to properly defend the nation's territory against internal and especially, external aggressors.

The pictures above depict the different types of OPVs the President will commission into service on the 19th at the Naval Base in Lagos. Albeit these will go a long way in curbing piracy, oil bunkery and other illegal activities in our territorial waters, I still do believe, and strongly so, that we need Armed Frigates and helicopters with anti-submarine capabilities as well as our own Submarine.

The Nigerian Navy seems to be leading the pack in the military when it comes to procurement and delivery without unnecessary shady deals and hoolabaloo from foreign governments. Nice one from the Navy #OnwardTogether!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 5:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
assu2013:
Nice move for political reason or to fight BH na!
I beg to disagree. The Nigerian Navy has a laid down long term plan to make our Navy a blue water Navy by 2020. By acquiring OPVs, Frigates, Submarines and anti-submarine capable helicopters, we'd be able defend our entire territorial waters and also launch devastating strikes/blows to any external aggressors i.e if we wanted to scare Cameroon off Bakassi and take back cheesy grin

This has nothing to do with the President, it's the vision statement of the Nigerian Navy. The President can only take credit for not scuttling the budget plans of the Navy and maybe encouraging more local content which can be seen from the 32-metre NNS Andoni and our 2nd 1800 ton OPV which will be built 70% in China and 30% in-country to achieve technology transfer.

Mods, do the needful

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by obo389(m): 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2015

the one wey tompolo buy nko?e no go commission am?
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 6:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
obo389:

the one wey tompolo buy nko?e no go commission am?
Lol, according to beegeagle's blog, the 3rd Ship pictured above was first purchased by a Maritime contractor in Nigeria but was impounded/seized by the Nigerian Navy and later converted to join our Naval fleet. Could be that of Tomplolo sha o

I don't know if the contractor was compensated.
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by EVarn(m): 10:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
a splendid development.
i think that the NN's long term arm procurement masterplan is already bearing tasty fruits.before long,we will also purchase our own submarines,destroyers and tidacondras..with appropriate mainteinance facilities to boot.
it is high time the NAF and NA follows the NN's lead and also launch their own individual arms procurement target within a servicable time frame.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by eaglechild: 10:31pm On Feb 16, 2015
GEJ is working

APC is hating

GEJ till 2019

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by nellyjohn: 10:41pm On Feb 16, 2015
What really surprise me is dat despite all odds and the attack from APC to GEJ, he is still not moved and goes around doing his good work.
Well done my able president.
GEJ till 2019

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Balkan(m): 10:49pm On Feb 16, 2015
SS getting ready for any eventuality.
The egg is almost broken
The agenda is working
GEJ till the demise of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Afroconnect: 10:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
Our men need to be trained and retrained for proper handling and control of these National assets,they should be well maintained,and kept far away from enemy fire range. These assets cost a fortune,hence its wise to use and maintain the properly.
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Nobody: 10:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
mojounited:

I beg to disagree. The Nigerian Navy has a laid down long term plan to make our Navy a blue water Navy by 2020. By acquiring OPVs, Frigates, Submarines and anti-submarine capable helicopters, we'd be able defend our entire territorial waters and also launch devastating strikes/blows to any external aggressors i.e if we wanted to scare Cameroon off Bakassi and take back cheesy grin

This has nothing to do with the President, it's the vision statement of the Nigerian Navy. The President can only take credit for not scuttling the budget plans of the Navy and maybe encouraging more local content which can be seen from the 32-metre NNS Andoni and our 2nd 1800 ton OPV which will be built 70% in China and 30% in-country to achieve technology transfer.

Mods, do the needful

Boss please let's sometimes give credit to whom it is due. It has been achieved under Jonathan, that should be the keyword. All parastatal of Government have always had vision statement but don't live up to it. If there is a deviance of norm and visions such as arming the Military and resuscitating Agriculture are being achieved under any administration then it is safe to say that is the achievement of the Government.

Kudos to GEJ. Your good work would judge you and your achievements despite the detractors would continue unabated till 2019.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by quickly: 11:21pm On Feb 16, 2015
They need to attack boko haram from Lake chad . That is there water source
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 11:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
calebo101:

Boss please let's sometimes give credit to whom it is due. It has been achieved under Jonathan, that should be the keyword. All parastatal of Government have always had vision statement but don't live up to it. If there is a deviance of norm and visions such as arming the Military and resuscitating Agriculture are being achieved under any administration then it is safe to say that is the achievement of the Government.

Kudos to GEJ. Your good work would judge you and your achievements despite the detractors would continue unabated till 2019.

Understood. I didn't want the thread to seem political and degenerate into APC vs PDP bashing but I guess that's been defeated now...anything goes in the politics section so a wee bit of mudslinging is allowed grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
mojounited:

Understood. I didn't want the thread to seem political and degenerate into APC vs PDP bashing but I guess that's been defeated now...anything goes in the politics section so a wee bit of mudslinging is allowed grin

No wahala Boss.

God bless us all and prosper us.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by castrogee(m): 6:56am On Feb 17, 2015
nellyjohn:
What really surprise me is dat despite all odds and the attack from APC to GEJ, he is still not moved and goes around doing his good work.
Well done my able president.
GEJ till 2019

It does suprise me too. But seeing the way Jonathan does things, I'm convinced that God is his strenght. God will surely fight his battles for him.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by castrogee(m): 6:59am On Feb 17, 2015
mojounited:

Mods, do the needful

You talk like someone with an immense knowledge of the goings-on in the navy. May you kindly explain what their vision 2020 is all about, and how far are they committed to it?
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 8:48am On Feb 17, 2015
castrogee:

You talk like someone with an immense knowledge of the goings-on in the navy. May you kindly explain what their vision 2020 is all about, and how far are they committed to it?
Not quite. I'm just an ardent follower of defence industry news via globalfirepower, defenceweb, beegeagle. and other sites/blogs like nairaland's dedicated military threads.

YES, the Nigerian Navy has a 10-year expansion plan to develop itself into a blue water Navy. "The acquisition of littoral incterceptors, light frigates, OPVs, submarines, helicopters and LPDs is articulated in the NN’s 10 Year Strategic Acquisition Plan".

Pic and news source:
https://beegeagle./2014/02/01/goodluck-submarine-the-shape-of-things-to-come/

https://beegeagle./2011/10/28/the-nigerian-navys-ten-year-expansion-plan-revisited/

Pic below: The boss of CSOC presents a model of a submarine to Nigeria’s First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by tswitch: 9:44am On Feb 17, 2015
Good one Mr. President.

@ OP: Remember the one(s) given to Dame Patience in Korea? Are they among the naval vessels commissioned?
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 5:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
tswitch:
Good one Mr. President.

@ OP: Remember the one(s) given to Dame Patience in Korea? Are they among the naval vessels commissioned?
@tswitch
If memory serves me right, could the ship you're referring to be the Fishery and Oceanography Research Vessel from Poland pictured below?

From all indications, non of the listed ships available for commissioning next tomorrow was/has been received or inspected by the First Lady.

1st Ship: From USA
2nd Ship: From China
3rd Ship: From Ireland
4th Ship: From Nigeria (locally built). Romour has it that the fourth ship could also be the gifted Missile Defence Boat from China.

Big ups to the NN.

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by tswitch: 7:02pm On Feb 17, 2015
mojounited:

@tswitch
If memory serves me right, could the ship you're referring to be the Fishery and Oceanography Research Vessel from Poland pictured below?

From all indications, non of the listed ships available for commissioning next tomorrow was/has been received or inspected by the First Lady.

1st Ship: From USA
2nd Ship: From China
3rd Ship: From Ireland
4th Ship: From Nigeria (locally built). Romour has it that the fourth ship could also be the gifted Missile Defence Boat from China.

Big ups to the NN.

Not from Poland.
Korea.
That model in the picture you posted on this thread was given to Dame Patience.
I think that was around the same period she got her honorary doctorate (Korea too).
Vessel must have been commissioned then.
On the fourth ship:It wilk still be built by the Chinese,what the FGN is doing by completing works in Nigeria is to build lical capacity-jobs,skills etc and also save up in some FOREX.

Hail NN!
Hail Mr. president!
Hail Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 8:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
tswitch:

Not from Poland.
Korea.
That model in the picture you posted on this thread was given to Dame Patience.
I think that was around the same period she got her honorary doctorate (Korea too).
Vessel must have been commissioned then.
On the fourth ship:It wilk still be built by the Chinese,what the FGN is doing by completing works in Nigeria is to build lical capacity-jobs,skills etc and also save up in some FOREX.

Hail NN!
Hail Mr. president!
Hail Nigeria!
I meant the Fishery and Oceanography Research Vessel which we got from Poland. And yes, you're absolutely right about the Submarine model as depicted in the picture - that was in Korea

Quite excited about what's to come in the next couple of years...
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by tswitch: 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2015
mojounited:

I meant the Fishery and Oceanography Research Vessel which we got from Poland. And yes, you're absolutely right about the Submarine model as depicted in the picture - that was in Korea

Quite excited about what's to come in the next couple of years...

Yes.......
A lot of Nigeria Engineers will be able to get requisite hands in experience......
Still hoping for when we can launch our own Submarines and have our own functional ATAC system.
Better days yet ahead!
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by magaliyu(f): 1:36am On Feb 19, 2015
TOKUMBO NATION, I believe with $20bn Nigeria can acquire a brand new naval fleets that can not be rivaled within the black super powers.
Ironically, are you saying one has to go back in time in order to transform the future, then I believe looking back can bring us the CHANGE we desire as a nation without compromise.
LET'S MAKE THE CHANGE.
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Nobody: 2:59am On Feb 19, 2015
tswitch:

Yes.......
A lot of Nigeria Engineers will be able to get requisite hands in experience......
Still hoping for when we can launch our own Submarines and have our own functional ATAC system.
Better days yet ahead!
Yeah, I hope one day that Nigeria would start manufacturing her own destroyers and one or two aircraft carriers.
The later could be a tall order grin because they're so expensive to build. A US Nimitz-class aircraft costs close to $1bn.
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by mojounited(m): 10:08am On Feb 19, 2015
CFCfan:

Yeah, I hope one day that Nigeria would start manufacturing her own destroyers and one or two aircraft carriers.
The later could be a tall order grin because they're so expensive to build. A US Nimitz-class aircraft costs close to $1bn.
You wish cheesy That'd be a very tall dream but nothing is impossible when you set out achievable targets and work assiduously towards meeting them.

However, I don't think we need an aircraft carrier to project power in West-Africa as long as our next door neighbours do not pose a considerable amount of threat that could be deemed beyond a DEFCON 3 grin

@tswitch, it seems we now know the fourth item on our list to be commissioned by Mr President today. According to beegeagle's blog, it's the Type 062 Shanghai II patrol craft - probably a gift from the Chinese? See attached pic (more or less a missile defense boat, that's if we decide to arm it)

Seun and Mods don't seem to like our Navy very much. Na APC vs PDP news/bashing them want angry

Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by tswitch: 2:28pm On Feb 19, 2015
mojounited:

You wish cheesy That'd be a very tall dream but nothing is impossible when you set out achievable targets and work assiduously towards meeting them.

However, I don't think we need an aircraft carrier to project power in West-Africa as long as our next door neighbours do not pose a considerable amount of threat that could be deemed beyond a DEFCON 3 grin

@tswitch, it seems we now know the fourth item on our list to be commissioned by Mr President today. According to beegeagle's blog, it's the Type 062 Shanghai II patrol craft - probably a gift from the Chinese? See attached pic (more or less a missile defense boat, that's if we decide to arm it)

Seun and Mods don't seem to like our Navy very much. Na APC vs PDP news/bashing them want angry

Yes a gift.
Watched the commissioning live,better days yet ahead.
I am not ruling out an aircraft carrier just yet considering the giant strides our navy is making and yes I suspect it will be armed in no distance time.
The gulf of guinea just got safer!
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by tswitch: 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2015
CFCfan:

We may also get it as a gift from a world power wink
Re: Nigeria's President Jonathan Set To Commission Four Naval Warships by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2015
I love this man..calm and collected in the midst of all this hate

(1) (Reply)

El-rufai Analyzes The Kaduna School Feeding Programme. / The Ordeals Of Alimodu Sheriff And What It Portends For The PDP / Sheriff Vs Makarfi:Appeal Court To Decide PDPs Authentic National Chairman Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.