Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,454 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (42983 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Storms Rivers 4 Traditional Rulers Day Of Golden Jubilee Celebration / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:28pm On Feb 17, 2015
greatsodade:

Really!!!

Really,yes. Figure heads....Igbo nodey worship human,just respect. Igbo amaro eze!
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by lonelydora: 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2015
Where's Tor Tiv and Kpoke 1 of Ebem Ohafia?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 6:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
/
Just curious...

Is it the same Alaafin that was taking pictures at the Buckingham palace gate in London with his multiple wives because he was denied access by the security?

Wonders shall never end.
\

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by M4gunners: 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
Deltagiant:

But what sort of values do these Chiefs add to citizens' lives so i can start to appreciate the need for them? The last time i checked, the current Obi of Agbor's father was killed as an armed robber
That is what you had from people, but are you really sure this true? However, that was for more than 33 years ago. The current Obi of Abgor was just 2 years when he lost his Father.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Horllamideh(m): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
i scan through the post looking for Soun of Ogbomosho...Ajagungbade III
the compilation is far from perfection
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by NovusHomo(m): 6:50pm On Feb 17, 2015
jingh:
You forgot 2 add obasambi
the king of sambisa forest

The OLUIGBO of Sambisa. grin
Oko iya PDP. grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 6:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
Iyilax1:
hmmm! You mean paper tiger? Reign but not rule.

They are not paper tiger just that they have limited powers which can be restricted
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 6:54pm On Feb 17, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
Just curious...

Is it the same Alaafin that was taking pictures at the Buckingham palace gate in London with his multiple wives because he was denied access by the security?

Wonders shall never end.
\

That's an em)arrsement to oyo kingdom if there is anything like that

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by manosteel(m): 6:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
What happened to Jaja of Opobo and Nana of Itsekiri?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 7:03pm On Feb 17, 2015
henryskywalker2003:
Nice list @OP. But to correct an error that is consistently being made by many, the Dein of Agbor isn't the youngest crowned king and never held that title for one day. Here is a list of others far younger than him.

1. Emperor Puyi Of China. Crowned when he was 2 years in 1908

2. Pomare III of Tahiti. Crowned when he was 17 months

3. Henry VI of England and France. Crowned when he was 8 months in 1422.

4. Sobhuza II of Swaziland. Crowned when he was 4 months old.

5. Emperor Shang of Han. Crowned when he was 100 days old.

6. Tsar Ivan VI of Russia. Crowned when he was 2 months old.

7. Mary Queen of Scots. Crowned when she was 6 days old. (Her father, James was crowned when he was 17 months and her son was crowned when he was 13 months).

8. John I of France. Became King right from the day he was born. (His father has died four months earlier)

9. Alfonso XIII of Spain. Became King from the day he was born May 17, 1886.

10. Shah Shapur II of Sassanid Empire (Persian). Legend has it that in year 309, Persian nobles placed a crown upon the belly of King Hormizd II’s widow. Inside was history’s first fetal king: Shah Shapur II. The in utero ruler was the ninth leader of the Sassanid Empire, a powerful Persian kingdom covering modern Iran. Shapur II ruled for 70 years. In the late 4th century, he successfully ousted Christianity from the Middle East.

nice
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
M4gunners:
Yeah u can say that again
smiley
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by UnimkeAk(m): 7:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
AnnieAnnie:
Why on earth shod you forget

THE OBONG OF CALABAR

THE BONG GWOM JOS

And THE KING OF MY HEART 'Aniekan'

Bae so u're cheating on me? Who is Aniekan ??
Y a king When u have an Emperor.
grin

That list is surely not complete without the Obong/ so much history

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Viktor1983(m): 7:11pm On Feb 17, 2015
tonychristopher:
IGBOS ARE REPUBLICAN IN NATURE AND DOESNT GIVE MUCH THOUGHT OF MONARCHY, WE SEE IT AS MADNESS..WE HAVE KINGS BUT THEY DONT HAVE ABSOLUTE POWERS, HE WORDS CAN BE DEBATED BY THE COUNCIL AND CLAN HEADS. SO THE IGWE,OBIS, OKPALAUKWUS, OKENYES AND EZES IN IGBO ARE MERELY FIGURE HEADS

Real talk , that's why when every other person tries to use names like Ebora owu , jagaban and Turakin to blow some ppls trumpet for em , it baffles me.
If I came from an environment where these names matter ,I'll prolly be in a better position to admire it.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 17, 2015
16. THE OCHI 1 OF ISUOCHI

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kaura5000: 7:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
Economy
> Business
> More
Swaziland's Mswati is king of the regal pile
by unknown, 03 December 2009, 00:00
Much-married monarch has UN recognition and is among few with real power, writes Hopewell Radebe

Share Article:

NOT only is he described as Africa's only remaining absolute monarch, Swaziland's King Mswati is considered the most influential monarch in Africa.

"Monarchy remains our undeniable roots and antecedent even in today's most sophisticated countries," declares a report by International Corporate Research, titled: Powers That Be - Africa's Most Influential Monarchs.

Although democratic governments enjoy the most popularity in the 21st century, Mswati remains the only monarch in Africa who effectively governs. He represents his country in the African Union and the Southern African Development Community, and is recognised by bodies such as the United Nations.

Swaziland is one of the few states in the world that retain aspects of an absolute monarchy. Others include Brunei, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the Vatican City.

A monarchy also retains considerable power in Jordan and Morocco, while the most recent nation to abolish its monarchy is Nepal, which became a republic last year.

In determining the most influential monarchs in Africa, the report has considered the type of monarchy; the size of domain; whether the monarch has direct or indirect influence; and whether the monarch has international recognition.

The report says that, while most monarchies have been abolished since the 1800s, the nations that retain them often turned these institutions into constitutional monarchies.

Most no longer hold absolute power or claim custody of regions that are sometimes very extensive. Many of the surviving monarchs no longer have the enormous wealth their ancestors amassed from collecting tributes from their subjects and owning large expanses of land and slaves. They have also lost the right to rule by decree, promulgate laws and impose punishment.

The influence of some of these monarchs is still large, though.

"The respect for these traditional institutions has made some of these monarchs retain considerable influence even though they are just figureheads," the report says.

Researchers acknowledge, however, that the influence of these modern monarchs is less significant compared with the monarchical historic roles played by the Pharaohs of Egypt, the Emperors of Ethiopia, the Mai of Kanem-borno, the Jaja of Opobo and many ancient kingdoms and empires that preceded western colonis ation.

Among the reasons for Mswati's selection by the researchers is that he has reigned since 1986, when he became king aged 18 . He was the youngest reigning monarch until the ascension of King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan in 2006, and he was also the youngest head of state until Joseph Kabila became president of the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2001.

Today Mswati is described as Africa's last absolute monarch in the sense that he has the power to choose the prime minister, other top government posts and top traditional posts.

He is ranked 17th on the list of richest heads of government, with a net worth of 100m.

Mswati is ranked 18th on this year's Parade Magazine's World's Worst Dictator list. He has 14 wives and 23 children.

According to the International Corporate Research report, King Mohammed of Morocco has taken second position on the monarchs' list as a "well-respected international leader" who leads the Maghrebian nation almost as an absolute monarch.

Under the constitution, the king can dissolve parliament and appoint the prime minister.

The king has a monopoly over the country's natural resources, which earned him the number nine position on the list of richest head of government with a net worth of 2,5bn.

King Letsie of Lesotho has been placed third for overseeing the affairs of the nation as a constitutional monarch. Most of his duties are ceremonial and he has reigned for 18 years - making him the world's 24th- longest reigning monarch.

Sultan Sa'adu Abubakar of Sokoto, leader of Nigeria's 70- million Muslims, is in fourth place, followed by Africa' s longest-reigning monarch and an influential Muslim leader in Nigeria, Dr Ado Bayero, the Emir of Kano.

King Goodwill Zwelithini Ka- Zulu in KwaZulu-Natal and Ashanti King Osei Tutu are in sixth and seventh place respectively, while the traditional ruler of Nigeria's Lagos Island follows in eighth place.[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by mathy2p2: 7:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
What of me my name no follow? Chai curroption don cover every where in nigeria
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kaura5000: 7:45pm On Feb 17, 2015
For you to host charles prince of wales and queen you must be influential... other monarchs only have a chance of taking pictures outside the queens palace with their wives

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kaura5000: 7:50pm On Feb 17, 2015
First picture sunusi's grand dad hosting the queen in kano palace gidan rumfa

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tonyxxx(m): 8:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nice list,but the amayanabo of nembe kingdom was omited from ur list + i think the olu of itshekiri is a more proper title for the olu of warri because warri is made up of many tribes like uhurobo,isoko,ijaw among many others. Hence the itsekiris cannot claim absolute monopoly over warri.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by kaura5000: 8:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
First king of swaziland visit emir of kano...second archbishop of canterbury and nigeria ambassador to uk

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by eriegua83: 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
The Olu of Warri : ATUWATSE II (GODWIN TORITSEJU EMIKO) He is the second son of Olu Erejuwa II. He was the only son of his Father, that was made a member of the Warri Traditional Council since 1983 and was also a Member of Warri Local Government Council, where he served in several capacities. He is a lawyer by profession and the second university graduate to ascend the great throne of Warri Kingdom. He has been ruling since May, 2nd 1987 Till Date. [/color][color=#006600] OGIAME SUO!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by absoluteSuccess: 8:28pm On Feb 17, 2015
NovusHomo:

Where do you suppose the Orangun of Ila should be, in New York? grin. Then the Ataoja of Oshogbo should be in Paris? grin grin
Oh my Creator, I am from Pluto, who has winch me to fighting on earthings' stuffs that never consign me? grin

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Chuksgeo: 8:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
The IGBOs are republicans, just like the Romans. The thing na turn by turn

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by musaffyan(m): 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
OBJ is also among
Title
OBA SANJO OF OTA FARM is also a good traditional oba there

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
Helo op, y didn't u include d king of my town in this compendium. U must fix his name o, I don't care ti know d king u re to substitute his name for dat of my king. Big stools does not make one a good leader. So add the obuzor of Ibusa to ur list. He is by name, obi professor chelunor nwaoboshi.

Purchase ur MTN 1gig plan for 1200. Contact - 07062027524. Sms/ whatsapp.

Everyday I resolve sme data related issues ranging from can't browse,deduction of airtime while browsing nd step by step configuration of mobile devices due to the nature of my Job nd experience in telcom.

I am open for complaints nd enquiries as I will assist u resolve whatever difficulty u maybe currently experiencing on ur Mtn sme data share or difficulty in browsing, step by step configuration of all devices etc.

Am an sme data share agent. Am a risk taker,I will take the risk of sending ur desired data while u send me a 1200 airtime on confirmtion.
D truth is this, non of the people u see advertising 1gig for 1k sells at that price. D story u get is d promo has just ended nd even if u get it, it comes with less than 28days validity after hours of wait.

I operate just like mtn extra time service were u borrow nd payback.

Put me to any test even if u eventually dont av in mind of buying, u will be very convinced of my honesty.

Its risky for me but let me take the risk.

Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orledaj01(m): 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nice list but u forgot Olomu of Omu-aran

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by osifred(m): 9:19pm On Feb 17, 2015
The oba of ogbaland it the oldest serving first class chief in the whole of Nigeria having been on his throne for 53years and counting.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ify84(m): 9:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
Orodje of okpe Kingdom.... . U didn't see facts about him..... A former major general in the Army....
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
Attah of Igala... Longest serving monarch Ghini? cheesy That's a huge joke.
The new Attah was "installed" some two years ago.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
ify84:
Orodje of okpe Kingdom.... . U didn't see facts about him..... A former major general in the Army....

Please if you have facts about him, do tell. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Ezevajina: 10:16pm On Feb 17, 2015
Where does Dokubo Asari rank?

I though he was the most influential traditional ruler in the world
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 10:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
tonychristopher:

That's an em)arrsement to oyo kingdom if there is anything like that
/
Typical Nigerians, they b1tched and whined that Alaafin deserved better treatment.

But then, who cares?!
\

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Private Jet With His Chiefs (Photos) / The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri) / Alaafin Of Oyo Welcomes Twins (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.