Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance (39581 Views)

Interview Question: Why Do You Want This Job? / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. / All The Applicants Failed This Interview Question. (please Help Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Votukpa(m): 7:12am On Feb 17, 2015
This thread is very informative of the penchant Nigerians have for textbook definitions of very ubiquitous concepts. Concepts such as effectiveness and efficiency.

For those seeking employment in large capitalist organizations, you are to refflect your ability to keep things simple while being focussed like a laser beam on the task at hand. This means you have to learn how to think on your feet and not show your potential employers that you're pretending to know what you're talking about.

Unfortunately, the university system doesn't teach the skillset needed to think on your feet to reflect the potential for efficiency in the work place.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by ebbie9ja(m): 7:20am On Feb 17, 2015
soe:
hmm

An efficient staff is better..why?

Simple.

Effective means Getting it Done...(having an overall effect at the end of the day)
Efficient means Getting it done with minimal losses, mininal effort and resources.

In fact, in physics;

%Efficiency = [ (work output) รท (work input) ] * 100%

So...
Every Efficient staff is effective...but not every Effective staff is efficient
I don't agree with you. A productive staff is both effective and efficient. While effective is doing the right thing (towards achieving organisational goals), Efficiency is how well you use your resources to achieve this i.e getting higher output with same or lower input, but you might be doing this on a wrong objective that has nothing to do with the organisation.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 17, 2015
Jokay07:
i will go for 'efficient' . Why? Because being an effective staff makes someone's capacity and capability concentrated in a section or department. A staff might be effective in adminstrative work while he won't be effective in finance. An effective staff is not flexible in terms of transfer of work. But an efficient staff is capable of doing different works, he is not effective in the adminstrative work alone but efficient enough to handle both adminstrative and financial work. He is efficient enough to perform very well under any given work condition. This would be my reply if I am being asked in an interview. Just my opinion
good. now swap the words 'effective' and 'efficient' in this your write-up and you will see that there is no difference if being effective is now the advantage. in other words you have not applied the meanings of these two words correctly in your explanation.
in short the way you have used them I can comfortably swap them and claim they mean the same thing as your write up and still seemingly make sense.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by ebbie9ja(m): 7:40am On Feb 17, 2015
Jonwesley:

This is the most appropriate answer. Only the time factor, nothing else. I'm embarrassed about the calibre of our graduates. Most of u were ranting. Even the expected answer required efficiency. So the interviewer already know U by ur answer, if U like choose what U are not.
Only Time,why not say resources: it could be managing people to get optimum performance or managing capital
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by allisonluvsu(m): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2015
vb0mb:

This actually explains ineffectiveness and effectiveness

They are two different things from the main meaning bro.See the meaning of ineffective and effective
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Blazingsun: 8:12am On Feb 17, 2015
digitalsimboja:
Dearest colleagues, please herewith is a question I was asked in an interview that had me blabbing without arriving at any answer. Maybe u can help rectify d answer to it by injecting ur own view here. Thanks in advance as the question goes 'Differentiate between an effective and efficient staff; which one do u prefer to be in our firm'..i blanked really at dx..

In my opinion, my best answer to your interviewer is:

Well, I think businesses around the world are looking for the most efficient way to get things done to remain profitable and be a going concern, so I will be an efficient staff especially since I believe being effective is a given for any professional in my field.

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Ultimate001: 8:14am On Feb 17, 2015
digitalsimboja:
Dearest colleagues, please herewith is a question I was asked in an interview that had me blabbing without arriving at any answer. Maybe u can help rectify d answer to it by injecting ur own view here. Thanks in advance as the question goes 'Differentiate between an effective and efficient staff; which one do u prefer to be in our firm'..i blanked really at dx..
An efficient worker is better! A worker could be effective and not efficient. An effective worker is d one who participates actively and significantly in the activities of d organisation (at whatever cost). On the other hand, an efficient worker does the forestated perfectly well. Not only that, he also does this at the least cost possible; talking abt the monetary, time, energy nd other inputable costs. U will understand more if u offered/offer physics. In physics, efficiency is doing a great deal of work with d least input possible and achieving the best possible results.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by masqot(m): 8:26am On Feb 17, 2015
An effective employee does his work according to laid down rule. He's an obedient servant cos his effectiveness is measured based on expectation. On the other hand, an efficient employee do not only follow rules but makes decisions. He understands what his job entails and delivers with optimal resources utilization.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by justfash50: 9:03am On Feb 17, 2015
Pls @all drop your dictionary and listen to we management student, managers.

Effectiveness is getting the job done irrespective of wastage, time I.e not utilizing the resources well but not all the time.

Efficiency is when resources are utilized well without necessarily achieving the desired goal.

Goals/ objectives to companies are very important and its their very existence I.e profit , growth etc.

It is good to be both efficient and effective but if you are to choose one its EFFECTIVENESS that is better because at the end of the day it is the result that matters for your company.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Princeyoungd2: 9:11am On Feb 17, 2015
digitalsimboja:

ok a quick one, no right or wrong answer to this question ok .

you where asked previously about your attributes? now they simply want to know about your preferred work force style.

trust me there is no way you can be wrong if you go for any.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by dom(m): 9:26am On Feb 17, 2015
Behold the differences, according to Peter Drucker:
Effective: Doing the right things.
Efficient: Doing things right.
The rest is up to you.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by DEGREE2466(m): 9:47am On Feb 17, 2015
femi4:
You can't rate a production until it gets to the final consumer.
Your product effectiveness is determine by the consumer and not production materials.

Both can't be separated, a product that is doing well in the market over the time is termed EFFECTIVE and when people keep recommending such product ahead of its competitors, that is called EFFICIENCY

i guess you quoted me without reading or comprehending what i wrote.

For reiteration purpose, I said that the company's product is not desired by the consumers as a result of reduction in the input in an attempt to be efficient. Thus the company could be termed efficient but not effective.

Do your research. My only argument with you is that efficiency can exist without effectiveness which is very disastrous to the firm involved.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by CHM11: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2015
franciskaine:
Sir, there is nothing like "staffs", staff.
thanks, even Nobel Loriet Shoyinka still learns something in english everyday.
That said, I think the word 'staffs' is very much valid as used in the context. 'Staffs' can be used when referring to employees of different companies or employees of different departments.
Anyway, just do a research online dear friend, I'm very much open to learn.

What I saw:

1) English plural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note 2: For staff in the sense of "a body of
employees", the plural is always staffs; otherwise,
both staffs and staves are acceptable, except in
compounds; such as flagstaffs. The stave of a
barrel or cask is a back-formation from staves,
which is its plural.

2.There are two issues here. The first is that the
term "staff", when referring to a group of people
working together, is a singular count noun with
plural reference, like "team". So it is correct to
speak of the "staffs" of various companies, just as
it's correct to speak of various teams in a league.
The other issue is whether the verb should agree
with singular "staff" gramatically ("Our staff is
always ready to help you"wink or notionally ("Our
staff are always..."wink. American usage generally
favors the former whereas British often favours
the latter.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by femi4: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2015
DEGREE2466:

i guess you quoted me without reading or comprehending what i wrote.

For reiteration purpose, I said that the company's product is not desired by the consumers as a result of reduction in the input in an attempt to be efficient. Thus the company could be termed efficient but not effective.

Do your research. My only argument with you is that efficiency can exist without effectiveness which is very disastrous to the firm involved.
The bolded is EFFECTIVE. Whatever you do continuously over the time with the desired output is called EFFICIENCY.

You can't put Efficiency ahead of Effectiveness

For example, MacLean used to be Effective and Efficient but with the birth of closeup, MacLean, though still Effective had lost its Efficiency value to Closeup
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by eroms22: 10:04am On Feb 17, 2015
allisonluvsu:
Now lets roll this way.Here is the difference.

You are asked to come to work by 7am everyday to complete a daily task of collating data. The job rule states that you must collate atleast fifty data everyday before you leave for home. If you go to work by 9am which is like 2 hours later than the original time, and still complete the collation of the fifty data task given to you, you are not efficient but effective because you lack the discipline of coming to work earlier.

Efficiency involves an individual meeting up with the demands and completing the task given to him/her at the right time, right date and right manner while effectively involves completing the task even if it was not done at the right time and right date or manner.

Furthermore, if you are asked to wear your safety gears before performing your daily task in a company and you ignore such command and still went ahead to complete the task without your safety gear, you have worked effectively but not efficiently. Efficiency deals with doing things in an organized manner as directed by your organization while the other measures your ability to complete the said task assigned to you.

I hope i tried in the explanation. grin
SPOT ON
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by chinedum13(m): 10:24am On Feb 17, 2015
chukux2:
Someone is effective when he can get results. While efficient is making good use of resources to get those results.

Example GEJ empties our treasury paying middle men and contractors to fight Boko Haram in the end he defeats them, that's being effective. Results gotten.

But GMB avoids unnecessary expenses and instead uses our existing equipment and soldiers (after sacking the corrupt and cowardly ones) plus better intelligence analysis to defeat Boko Haram that's efficient. Results also gotten.

An efficient staff is better.

.. But at times though you have to settle for being only effective
great! U are right on point.

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Malawian(m): 10:26am On Feb 17, 2015
digitalsimboja:
effective means creative while efficient means judicious.
if you are looking for management positions, you should go for effective and vice versa.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Albishir: 10:35am On Feb 17, 2015
Efficiency simply means being thorough in service.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Bolosiye: 10:58am On Feb 17, 2015
Collynzo9:
An efficient staff performs satisfactorily and meets set individual targets using minimal resources and time.
An effective staff simply meets his personal targets and perfoms satisfactorily
i quite go with ur definition. The difference here i think should be time and minimal resources deployed in carring out a given task
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 17, 2015
CHM11:

thanks, even Nobel Loriet Shoyinka still learns something in english everyday.
That said, I think the word 'staffs' is very much valid as used in the context. 'Staffs' can be used when referring to employees of different companies or employees of different departments.
Anyway, just do a research online dear friend, I'm very much open to learn.

What I saw:

1) English plural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note 2: For staff in the sense of "a body of
employees", the plural is always staffs; otherwise,
both staffs and staves are acceptable, except in
compounds; such as flagstaffs. The stave of a
barrel or cask is a back-formation from staves,
which is its plural.

2.There are two issues here. The first is that the
term "staff", when referring to a group of people
working together, is a singular count noun with
plural reference, like "team". So it is correct to
speak of the "staffs" of various companies, just as
it's correct to speak of various teams in a league.
The other issue is whether the verb should agree
with singular "staff" gramatically ("Our staff is
always ready to help you"wink or notionally ("Our
staff are always..."wink. American usage generally
favors the former whereas British often favours
the latter.

] This is your exact usage of the word staff which necessitated my correction..." but in a
rapidly changing business environment
where market value, labour and capital
demands are very dynamic, Efficient staffs
will be assets in EFFECTING continuity and
sustainable development of the firm."

don't you think using staffs in a formal setting makes you sound superfluous? I had rather prefer the member of staff of both companies or firm.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by damocheezy(m): 12:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
This is semantics and both has to do with productive rate. Effectiveness has to do with being productive while to be efficient means conservative production, that is, production without consuming extra. I'll vote for an efficient staff because an effective staff might be consuming more although productive.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by snthesis(m): 3:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
the first question is what role is the candidate applying for? that will determine the best answer

also the terms of engagement i.e KPI are you able to deliver the project Safely, on schedule and within budget- efficiency doesnt apply under project management -you cant be efficiently safe.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by aadoiza: 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2015
Something meaningful--even if it was a confabulation.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by paul990(m): 7:11pm On Feb 17, 2015
You can be EFFECTIVE without being EFFICIENT but you can't be EFFICIENT without being EFFECTIVE. that's how I see it though.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by ujuesther: 7:21pm On Feb 17, 2015
chukux2:
Someone is effective when he can get results. While efficient is making good use of resources to get those results.

Example GEJ empties our treasury paying middle men and contractors to fight Boko Haram in the end he defeats them, that's being effective. Results gotten.

But GMB avoids unnecessary expenses and instead uses our existing equipment and soldiers (after sacking the corrupt and cowardly ones) plus better intelligence analysis to defeat Boko Haram that's efficient. Results also gotten.

An efficient staff is better.

.. But at times though you have to settle for being only effective

Efficiency: Using minimum input to achieve maximum output. That's to add to your explanation. 100% if I were to score you in an exam but your example might bring you back to 0%.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 17, 2015
ujuesther:

Efficiency: Using minimum input to achieve maximum output. That's to add to your explanation. 100% if I were to score you in an exam but your example might bring you back to 0%.

Hahahaha, you hate my example.

True, because of extreme positions on both sides of the divide my example should actually not be used at this point in time.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by kengreatleads(m): 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
In my opinion, I'll answer thus: I believe efficiency is working by the book, delivering results and thereby making the employer happy while being effective means you don't necessarily get things done by the book as a matter of fact the employer may not agree with your methods just like Jack Bauer of 24, but you deliver even better results.

As for my choice: I'll start off as an efficient staff and evolve into an effective staff, inventing better methods of getting things done. But first I'll convince my employer of the viability of my method before execution.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by simdam500(m): 11:21am On Feb 18, 2015
Learning....

Sitting down nd relax
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Ayodee2(m): 2:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
digitalsimboja:
EFFICIENT MEANS DOING THINGS RIGHTLY while EFFECTIVE MEANS DOING THE RIGHT THING. i.e if u are able to carry out jobs assigned to u verry well or u hv high turnover it then means u are efficient. on the other hand, u are effective if and when u are able to take up responsibilities and use ur initiative in solving problems without waiting to b directed. Being effective is far ahead of being efficient.
A good mgt expert will prefer someone who is effective for managerial post and efficient person for production post.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by frez14: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2015
hmm.......
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by ladyJ22(f): 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:

You have to be both effective and efficient to get the job(s) done. In terms- Effectiveness is the ability to get the job done in the right way while efficiency is about being a reliable asset.
The job in hand (task) will require effectiveness to achieve the set goal, but in a rapidly changing business environment where market value, labour and capital demands are very dynamic, Efficient staffs will be assets in EFFECTING continuity and sustainable development of the firm.

i love this. very educating

If I was to answer that question I would say "I would be both effective and efficient in your company because I believe these competencies go together to assure excellence in the job. Effective staffs will help achieve short term goals, but efficient staffs will ensure long term goals are not compromised due to changes in the business.
Being both effective and efficient would help me work, learn and grow professionally by being an excellently reliable staff"

Depends on the interviewers body language, you should know when to stop talking and let him assimilate and understand what you've said.

This question test three or four things:
1. Listening skill: Does he understand and think before he responds?
2. Excellence: How will he stay excellent in the job?
3. Ambition: Is he after the short term or long term or both?
4. Orientation: does he know the difference between effectiveness and efficiency?

My view tho..other peeps might have superior arguments....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Ranks And Salary Structure (official) / Nigerian Army Short Service Combatant Recruitment 2016 / 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.