Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,548 members, 7,809,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) (2600 Views)

Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? / Funding Your Career Or Ideas In 60 Days / Volunteer To Help Young People Succeed Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 7:35pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hello house, please I need your help. Before I get into the details of my post, let me give a little background on myself.

I am a young Nigerian lady, been working in Lagos since 2008. I graduated from a top UK university with a 1st class in Computer Systems and Electronic Engineering in 2007. I have some work experience in the UK and have also been working as a Business / Systems Analyst in various companies since I moved back.

I have always tried to do my own bit to give back / help society and I particularly take interest in helping people / giving advice on how to build careers and recently business. I have decided now to give directly from my own pocket the sum of N20,000 a month to help someone / people in their journey to achieving their career / business goals. I currently work full time as a management consultant and will be taking from my salary to achieve this. I have decided to stop thinking and talking about contributing to Nigeria and actually start doing my own little bit. I would also like to help 1 or 2 people every month with job applications, CV writing and any other thing within my power (that I am knowledgeable about). One of my key strengths is process automation and the use of software to drive efficiency into the way businesses are run.

Entrepreneurship is really picking up in Nigeria (maybe due to the shortage of jobs) but I find that technology is not really being optimised in running these businesses - I'm really passionate about helping small businesses work better by using IT solutions - in fact this is at the heart of what I do at my 9-5 job.

I've been thinking that the money I give out can be used to maybe attend courses, training, seminars, purchase tools to help with business etc etc

The problem now is how should I go about this? I have the following concerns:
1. How do I put this information out there? I guess a thread like this is a good way to start

2. Can N20,000 really help anyone? I'm wondering if I should give N20,000 to 1 person a month or N10,000 each to 2 people or N5,000 to 4 people each month - please what do you think? I've noticed that there are some cheap courses (as low as N2,500) on sites like dealdey so I'm hoping this my small contribution can make a difference

3. How can I determine which application is genuine and which is not? I would really want the cash to be used for personal improvement geared towards career or Business growth

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Odillz: 7:42pm On Feb 16, 2015
*continues singing*
"He will make a way,when there seems to be no way"
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Godiloveu(f): 7:54pm On Feb 16, 2015
ok am interested
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by agohmamuda(m): 7:54pm On Feb 16, 2015
You are in the right place. Why don't u mail me grin we have similar desires.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by vjsmiles: 8:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
sad in Ů‚ssence
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by autofreak2020(m): 8:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
As little as it seems, it can help build my career.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by shaqhead: 8:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
@Genomi This will be a benevolent gesture on ur part and such an act of kindness doesnt go without its rewards which wl com in immeasurable measures. Concernin how u go about doin d giving whether in a 20k lumpsum or multiples as u mentioned, I guess u wl want to touch more people wt ur act of kindness so going wt d multiples wl do it for. I wl advice givin two people in a month among ur other acts of charity (evntho u cd evaluate each request on its merit). The hardest part to ds is givin in a faceless place like ds. How to evaluate d genuiness and urgency of d requests dt u myt get is anodr...hmm..here I wl advice dt if u rily serios get in touch wt Seun/Tehn. my 2cents

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by temmyt20(m): 8:27pm On Feb 16, 2015
pls, kindly 4wd ur mail 2 me, so I can fwd my cv...my mail is temmyt20@yahoo.ca. kindly note dat my email ends with. ca not. com. thnks

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 8:29pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thanks very much @shaqhead for your reply, your suggestion of multiples really makes sense. I've really been trying to think about how best to do this and touch as many people as possible. Please how do I contact Seun? (I'm not sure who Tehn is).

shaqhead:
@Genomi This will be a benevolent gesture on ur part and such an act of kindness doesnt go without its rewards which wl com in immeasurable measures. Concernin how u go about doin d giving whether in a 20k lumpsum or multiples as u mentioned, I guess u wl want to touch more people wt ur act of kindness so going wt d multiples wl do it for. I wl advice givin two people in a month among ur other acts of charity (evntho u cd evaluate each request on its merit). The hardest part to ds is givin in a faceless place like ds. How to evaluate d genuiness and urgency of d requests dt u myt get is anodr...hmm..here I wl advice dt if u rily serios get in touch wt Seun/Tehn. my 2cents
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 8:32pm On Feb 16, 2015
Dear house, please note that I intend to start doing this from March. Between now and then I am trying to focus on building the framework around how best to execute this. I won't be accepting CV's but I plan to create a simple webform with a few questions as mode of application. I will then review the responses and choose the beneficiaries each month.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by shaqhead: 8:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
GenoMI:
Thanks very much @shaqhead for your reply, your suggestion of multiples really makes sense. I've really been trying to think about how best to do this and touch as many people as possible. Please how do I contact Seun? (I'm not sure who Tehn is).

Just gv him a mention just d way u gave me a mention...I mean "@Seun" den drop ur message. He wl respond wen he gets ur mention!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by iyisco2001(m): 9:09pm On Feb 16, 2015
I really appreciate your desire to help young folks who are aspiring in there career, its cool. although I am also aspiring in my career, what my friends and I do is set up exams for young people(secondary skul) where we grew up, pay for there JAMB after there secondary education, advice them on the choice of career, and we are looking into paying tuitions soon, so I would say, set up a website or throw contests here on nairaland, essay, or letter of intentions, qualifications verified, courses to be paid for verified and cash disbursed. I hope this helps.
God bless ya hustle.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by holusormi(m): 9:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
iyisco2001:
I really appreciate your desire to help young folks who are aspiring in there career, its cool. although I am also aspiring in my career, what my friends and I do is set up exams for young people(secondary skul) where we grew up, pay for there JAMB after there secondary education, advice them on the choice of career, and we are looking into paying tuitions soon, so I would say, set up a website or throw contests here on nairaland, essay, or letter of intentions, qualifications verified, courses to be paid for verified and cash disbursed. I hope this helps.
God bless ya hustle.

Lol,,,, undecided
He's high
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by iyisco2001(m): 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2015
seriously, guy, stop this already. angry
holusormi:

Lol,,,, undecided
He's high
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by holusormi(m): 9:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
iyisco2001:
seriously, guy, stop this already. angry

No I won't ... Fvckface acting all responsible and shit ... Mr mouth undecided
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thanks @iyisco2001, I appreciate your comment. It looks like I will definitely be setting up a website. Thanks very much and I will keep the house posted on my progress.

iyisco2001:
God bless ya hustle.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by iyisco2001(m): 9:25pm On Feb 16, 2015
yw
GenoMI:
Thanks @iyisco2001, I appreciate your comment. It looks like I will definitely be setting up a website. Thanks very much and I will keep the house posted on my progress.

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by ps3o(m): 9:46pm On Feb 16, 2015
GenoMI:
Hello house, please I need your help. Before I get into the details of my post, let me give a little background on myself.

I am a young Nigerian lady, been working in Lagos since 2008. I graduated from a top UK university with a 1st class in Computer Systems and Electronic Engineering in 2007. I have some work experience in the UK and have also been working as a Business / Systems Analyst in various companies since I moved back.

I have always tried to do my own bit to give back / help society and I particularly take interest in helping people / giving advice on how to build careers and recently business. I have decided now to give directly from my own pocket the sum of N20,000 a month to help someone / people in their journey to achieving their career / business goals. I currently work full time as a management consultant and will be taking from my salary to achieve this. I have decided to stop thinking and talking about contributing to Nigeria and actually start doing my own little bit. I would also like to help 1 or 2 people every month with job applications, CV writing and any other thing within my power (that I am knowledgeable about). One of my key strengths is process automation and the use of software to drive efficiency into the way businesses are run.

Entrepreneurship is really picking up in Nigeria (maybe due to the shortage of jobs) but I find that technology is not really being optimised in running these businesses - I'm really passionate about helping small businesses work better by using IT solutions - in fact this is at the heart of what I do at my 9-5 job.

I've been thinking that the money I give out can be used to maybe attend courses, training, seminars, purchase tools to help with business etc etc

1. How do I put this information out there? I guess a thread like this is a good way to start

2. Can N20,000 really help anyone? I'm wondering if I should give N20,000 to 1 person a month or N10,000 each to 2 people or N5,000 to 4 people each month - please what do you think? I've noticed that there are some cheap courses (as low as N2,500) on sites like dealdey so I'm hoping this my small contribution can make a difference

3. How can I determine which application is genuine and which is not? I would really want the cash to be used for personal improvement geared towards career or Business growth

setup a website and allow people to register with their details. the users should be provided questions to answer instantly under a calculated time.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by autofreak2020(m): 11:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
GenoMI:

I'm fresh a graduate of mechanical
engineering from university of ilorin and a
mechanic/ auto repair technician. I acquired this
skill when I was in university and I intend to focus
my energy on it right now because I'm passionate
about automobile.
I already bought part of tools that will be needed
to start, but I still need to buy some other tools
including a launcher/scanner. Please I wouldn't
mind to be part of young people that you will
consider as I only need to receive #20k for 6
months and I'm good to go here in Rivers state.
Who knows, I might be next philanthropist by this time next year or two.
God Bless.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by yinkeys(m): 5:12am On Feb 18, 2015
GenoMI:
Dear house, please note that I intend to start doing this from March. Between now and then I am trying to focus on building the framework around how best to execute this. I won't be accepting CV's but I plan to create a simple webform with a few questions as mode of application. I will then review the responses and choose the beneficiaries each month.
This is a good way to go about it ma. But if I may add, how do intend scanning out the dubious from genuine people. It won't take much to write a good proposal to decieve/convince you. Nigerians are really smart peeps & can do anything just for money
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 11:48am On Feb 18, 2015
Thanks yinkeys. This is why I will pay for a course / seminar / training / learning material rather than giving out the cash.

yinkeys:
This is a good way to go about it ma. But if I may add, how do intend scanning out the dubious from genuine people. It won't take much to write a good proposal to decieve/convince you. Nigerians are really smart peeps & can do anything just for money
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Ricmayak1: 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nice advert by dealdey. If otherwise, well done!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:26am On Feb 24, 2015
LOL. I don't work for dealdey o, I'm just trying to do my own little thing grin grin

Ricmayak1:
Nice advert by dealdey. If otherwise, well done!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Sprintson(m): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
I subscribe to it as i have always liked such a thing.
Its very laudable in everyway and email me tru my link at the bottom so i can contribute in ways that i can..why dont u see as a foundation so as to keep a tab on the sucessful ones to continue the trend..lets tlk chazereel@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Ademat7(m): 5:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
GenoMI:
LOL. I don't work for dealdey o, I'm just trying to do my own little thing grin grin

nice one sister! 10,000 to two pple is good because 5k for four pple can achieve less of what u aim for such people. Let people assist u to form "management team" in this regard and don't do it alone. From ur initial post all I pick is "USING IT SOLUTION FOR BUSINESS" if u can train me on dis I bet I dnt need any 10k or 20k because u have teach me how to fish and not give me a fish.thanks
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Chimarto: 9:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
GenoMI:

The greatest favour that someone can do for me now is a gift of Laptop loaded with Microsoft office, Encyclopedia, PDF reader and other useful educational software.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by siegfried99(m): 1:58am On Feb 25, 2015
I would be so much interested in this..

@OP, this is a good initiative, God bless you

Of only many could be thinking like u, nigeria. Would be a better place.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Nobody: 4:16am On Feb 25, 2015
i would be very much interested, need to get textbook for resumption, This is very kind.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Amazingg: 9:49am On Nov 09, 2015
Is this still on?

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Employment Training Scheme / Materials/contacts For NPMCN/WACS 2014 Primaries In ORL / Urgent Pls! I Need A Standard Acca Lecture Centre In Warri Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.