Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,807 members, 7,806,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) (9937 Views)

Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital / N20,000 Changed To N10 Notes In Ibadan, Apata (Photos) / 5 Young Nigerians Below 30 Who Against All Odds Excel In Their Business (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hello house, please I need your help. Before I get into the details of my post, let me give a little background on myself.

I am a young Nigerian lady, been working in Lagos since 2008. I graduated from a top UK university with a 1st class in Computer Systems and Electronic Engineering in 2007. I have some work experience in the UK and have also been working as a Business / Systems Analyst in various companies since I moved back.

I have always tried to do my own bit to give back / help society and I particularly take interest in helping people / giving advice on how to build careers and recently business. I have decided now to give directly from my own pocket the sum of N20,000 a month to help someone / people in their journey to achieving their career / business goals. I currently work full time as a management consultant and will be taking from my salary to achieve this. I have decided to stop thinking and talking about contributing to Nigeria and actually start doing my own little bit. I would also like to help 1 or 2 people every month with job applications, CV writing and any other thing within my power (that I am knowledgeable about). One of my key strengths is process automation and the use of software to drive efficiency into the way businesses are run.

Entrepreneurship is really picking up in Nigeria (maybe due to the shortage of jobs) but I find that technology is not really being optimised in running these businesses - I'm really passionate about helping small businesses work better by using IT solutions - in fact this is at the heart of what I do at my 9-5 job.

I've been thinking that the money I give out can be used to maybe attend courses, training, seminars, purchase tools to help with business etc etc

The problem now is how should I go about this? I have the following concerns:
1. How do I put this information out there? I guess a thread like this is a good way to start

2. Can N20,000 really help anyone? I'm wondering if I should give N20,000 to 1 person a month or N10,000 each to 2 people or N5,000 to 4 people each month - please what do you think? I've noticed that there are some cheap courses (as low as N2,500) on sites like dealdey so I'm hoping this my small contribution can make a difference

3. How can I determine which application is genuine and which is not? I would really want the cash to be used for personal improvement geared towards career or Business growth

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Please note that I intend to start doing this from March. Between now and then I am trying to focus on building the framework around how best to execute this. I won't be accepting CV's but I plan to create a simple webform with a few questions as mode of application. I will then review the responses and choose the beneficiaries each month.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by badpeople: 9:19pm On Feb 16, 2015
GenoMI:
Hello house, please I need your help. Before I get into the details of my post, let me give a little background on myself.

I am a young Nigerian lady, been working in Lagos since 2008. I graduated from a top UK university with a 1st class in Computer Systems and Electronic Engineering in 2007. I have some work experience in the UK and have also been working as a Business / Systems Analyst in various companies since I moved back.

I have always tried to do my own bit to give back / help society and I particularly take interest in helping people / giving advice on how to build careers and recently business. I have decided now to give directly from my own pocket the sum of N20,000 a month to help someone / people in their journey to achieving their career / business goals. I currently work full time as a management consultant and will be taking from my salary to achieve this. I have decided to stop thinking and talking about contributing to Nigeria and actually start doing my own little bit. I would also like to help 1 or 2 people every month with job applications, CV writing and any other thing within my power (that I am knowledgeable about). One of my key strengths is process automation and the use of software to drive efficiency into the way businesses are run.

Entrepreneurship is really picking up in Nigeria (maybe due to the shortage of jobs) but I find that technology is not really being optimised in running these businesses - I'm really passionate about helping small businesses work better by using IT solutions - in fact this is at the heart of what I do at my 9-5 job.

I've been thinking that the money I give out can be used to maybe attend courses, training, seminars, purchase tools to help with business etc etc

The problem now is how should I go about this? I have the following concerns:
1. How do I put this information out there? I guess a thread like this is a good way to start

2. Can N20,000 really help anyone? I'm wondering if I should give N20,000 to 1 person a month or N10,000 each to 2 people or N5,000 to 4 people each month - please what do you think? I've noticed that there are some cheap courses (as low as N2,500) on sites like dealdey so I'm hoping this my small contribution can make a difference

3. How can I determine which application is genuine and which is not? I would really want the cash to be used for personal improvement geared towards career or Business growth

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Please note that I intend to start doing this from March. Between now and then I am trying to focus on building the framework around how best to execute this. I won't be accepting CV's but I plan to create a simple webform with a few questions as mode of application. I will then review the responses and choose the beneficiaries each month.

Nice one there, u ar on the right tread, am sure someone on this forum has tried something like dis before, pls check nairaland archives or may be some members(good ones) will contribute positively, poverty is reigning in our cos of bad people we have as leaders and capitalist that surround them all over, nice one dear
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Evergreen4(m): 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nice idea, In my opinion , I think u should give the 20,000 naira to one person. At least that amount will enable the person achieve something tangible like doing any professional course . Mean while u need to reel out certain criteria that must be met before u give out the money.

Meanwhile, Please I want to ask for a favour from u Op, can u please help me Re-write my Cv ? Pleaseeeeeee, I'm on my kneels

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by sholly007: 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nice one Op, i pray God will strenghten u to do all what u mentioned.

I really commend ur move, but u got many challenges to tackle.

I'll impel u to give out the 20k to a person.
Like 'Evergreen4' said.

#Building nigeria from scratch.
(i rarely comment on dis forum, but dis article trigger me to comment)
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by claremont(m): 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
This is a good idea and it's something I have thought about implementing but haven't really had the time to.

The main challenges are;

1. How do you vet the projects to be invested in in terms of their profitability?!

2. How do you make sure those who benefit from this scheme actually use the money for the projects they are canvassing the funds for?!

3. Is this just a mere charity drive, or is there a way of using this scheme to part-own the projects funded (Dragon's den like)?!

4. To be candid, how viable are projects that require just below £100 equivalent anyway, wouldn't it be better to increase the sum involved and break down this scheme into a quarterly project rather than monthly?!

As I said, it is a noble project BUT implementation of this kind of scheme takes lots of planning.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by kcstyle40(m): 10:00pm On Feb 16, 2015
Good day op,
can you help someone enroll into university i.e by giving the person the starting fees as the person has been given admission but no fund to start.
The person wishes to also startup little biz of typing and photocopying to support himself in school.
Kindly reply thanks.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by chidekings(m): 10:06pm On Feb 16, 2015
badpeople:

Nice one there, u ar on the right tread, am sure someone on this forum has tried something like dis before, pls check nairaland archives or may be some members(good ones) will contribute positively, poverty is reigning in our cos of bad people we have as leaders and capitalist that surround them all over, nice one dear

ur id....hmmmm
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by hungryboy(m): 10:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
There is this guy in my street named Solomon,
Guy is so good in maths and science,
He finished secondary school and wrote waec and made it at first sitting,
Now he is even like an exam mercenary , dude gets paid to write maths exams for year 1 students in our state university,
guy got brain, but got no one to push him further,
Guy is desperate to further his education but got no one to support him,
i don't know whether you could help support him with the 20k, he could write jamb and get into school, maybe from there he might get lucky and win a scholarship.
God why am i even writing all this without his consent ?

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by kheart(m): 10:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nice one op, there re a lot of enterprenuers on NL (me inclusive). The money u intend to give out ll actually help many small scale mini importers like myself.

I started my mini importation buz last year after my service bt it quite challenging esp if u don't ve capital. I started wit about 30k, I ve actually pause 4 now due to current phenomenon in d intl mkt.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
This thread reminds me of a crowdfunding website which has been discussed extensively on this forum.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by omojuliet: 11:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by MrIyke222(m): 12:57am On Feb 17, 2015
Thank you very much for dis angelic heart tot of yours. Honestly u will b safing a lot of lives with such kind gesture. Although, it might not b easy to carry it out nd follow it up, but it shld not stop u from giving out such helping hand as well as giving back to d society as u rightly mentiond.
I knw dat dia re a lot of youths like me out dia who really need such little but rear opportunity to fulfill dia destiny.
Pls wen u start i wil like to apply cos if dia is one person who need such right now, am d person! I hv bn trying to go for or have an online training course from a fellow Nigerian on Information Marketing and other online money making jobs for a whil, but due to my inability to raise d required money, its been a far fetchd dream.
Life has been so challenging wit me, cos i dont hv anyone to help or support me with my dreams and effort. I hav graduated from d university self sponsored since 2 years now, but finding it dfficult to go for NYSC, cos i hv not been able to raise money for my clearanc due to d fact dat i cldnt pay som parts of my tuition fees whil in school as d fee has been increasd so high being a state ownd university(Abia State Uni)And dats one of d reasons i’ve been trying to do somtin dat can help me raise d money so i can go for November batch as missing it wil affect me due to age criteria as i will b ova 30 after den.
I wish some other good Nigerians who have made money or are succesful out dia can join in dis kind of gesture to our fellow youths nd make d society better.
I look forward to the commencment of d wonderful liverage. Thanx
watchingsky222@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by mownie: 7:27am On Feb 17, 2015
I think you should hook up with like-minds to make it more tangible and formal. Like claremont. Two or more heads are better than one. Seek professional n legal advice. It is doable and in your own way, u would be helping some youths out there.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by debbydee(f): 1:20pm On Feb 17, 2015
following
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jerrygome: 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
Watch out for scam. Most stories you gonna hear gonna be fabricated ones. Not trying to dampen your zeal as we need more of your type in Naija. Thumbs up brother!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 6:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
Thanks @jerrygome, that is one of my major concerns. I will figure something out. Meanwhile I'm a 'sister' not 'brother' grin grin grin

jerrygome:
Watch out for scam. Most stories you gonna hear gonna be fabricated ones. Not trying to dampen your zeal as we need more of your type in Naija. Thumbs up brother!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by csckid(m): 7:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
Hello @ op...I'm emmanuel by name.. A computer science of uniben...I've not really learnt about my course cos am having challenges with my fees..can you pls help me? 09021000247, emma4biz@gmail.com, 2A930B9D,
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by mayorkays: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2015
Sister, almost everyone needs money and for me my problem is not jst d 20k. Well if u belief in me n feel dat u can invest in sumone like me, den we can talk one on one as matured mind outside dis platform. After which if u feel dat u can trust me den we can do business together. U can WhatsApp me on 07036225545. Tnx
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jerrygome: 3:19am On Feb 18, 2015
GenoMI:
Thanks @jerrygome, that is one of my major concerns. I will figure something out. Meanwhile I'm a 'sister' not 'brother' grin grin grin

Ohhh...my bad grin Thought you are a brother. Alright then. Salute.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by dimensional(m): 8:22am On Feb 18, 2015
A great idea given birth from a genuine heart, Human capital development. In such project your need divine guidance and if you can seek for the help of the Holyspirt on this. This is not a project that should be done in isolation seek for a few likeminds and you will definitely find them here but you need to be very care though

Have such idea sha just like an udemy but offline version for free @op if i will like mail u my email is everplusng@gmail.com.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by pinbar(m): 8:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Nice one and i m going to be short about this....

1. For your dream to be sustainable, u need a structure i.e putting a team of intellects together to map out a modus operandi. it could be 2 man team.

2. Dont monetize it, since u are more inclined in IT and you believe so much in capacity building through trainings, seminars e.t.c pay for such trainings yourself as long as its within the budget and let your team follow up with the persons progress. That way, you will eliminate a lot of scams. know this, you cant solve the whole of the problems but the little one you are doing covers millions

3. with people like you in this country, there is still hope for the youths. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by beabea5: 9:17am On Feb 18, 2015
Thank you Op,am in need of this seriously,Life have been so difficult been a single mum,Ex has totally abandoned myself and his son...i am a graduate of Economics of second Class lower,i went for several interviews of recent went for jumia customer service but unfortunately i couldnt make it..Am planning on having a small shop where i can be selling petty things for survival especially for my little boy who will soon start school but no fund and people i spoke to about it are just mocking me...If you can be of assistance that means fortunes have finally smiled at me. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:56am On Feb 18, 2015
Hmm thank you very much @pinbar, I will definitely be going with your suggestion of not monetising it but instead paying for the training. I will also talk to one or 2 people to build on the idea. I will keep reporting on my progress.

pinbar:
1. For your dream to be sustainable, u need a structure i.e putting a team of intellects together to map out a modus operandi. it could be 2 man team.
2. Dont monetize it, since u are more inclined in IT and you believe so much in capacity building through trainings, seminars e.t.c pay for such trainings yourself as long as its within the budget and let your team follow up with the persons progress. That way, you will eliminate a lot of scams.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:59am On Feb 18, 2015
Hi @beabea5, unfortunately I have not even started yet as I plan to do so next Month by God's Grace if everything is in place. But I won't be giving out cash, rather I will be paying for training, seminars, materials etc that can be beneficial towards building a business or career.

beabea5:
Thank you Op,am in need of this seriously,Life have been so difficult been a single mum,Ex has totally abandoned myself and his son...i am a graduate of Economics of second Class lower,i went for several interviews of recent went for jumia customer service but unfortunately i couldnt make it..Am planning on having a small shop where i can be selling petty things for survival especially for my little boy who will soon start school but no fund and people i spoke to about it are just mocking me...If you can be of assistance that means fortunes have finally smiled at me. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by beabea5: 10:05am On Feb 18, 2015
GenoMI:
Hi @beabea5, unfortunately I have not even started yet as I plan to do so next Month by God's Grace if everything is in place. But I won't be giving out cash, rather I will be paying for training, seminars, materials etc that can be beneficial towards building a business or career.

God will help You and u shall be successful in it...thanks for the reply...
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by pinbar(m): 10:10am On Feb 18, 2015
GenoMI:
Hmm thank you very much @pinbar, I will definitely be going with your suggestion of not monetising it but instead paying for the training. I will also talk to one or 2 people to build on the idea. I will keep reporting on my progress.

please do. maybe we could add our own quota from time to time.

All the best
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 18, 2015
@Original Poster. My candid suggestion.

1. You can't help everyone and you need to add real value to those you wish to help out one month at a time and for this reason, I'll suggest that you help two people monthly. N10,000 per Person.

2. To make this work since you are interested in career/business growth, I'll suggest liaising with a Good Computer Training Facility to discover courses which fall within the N10,000 margin and payup for them.

3. On your webform, request for your target audience and select those who you think are really serious about getting a certificate in the courses being offered.

My humble submission.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by tchiwinnie: 10:51am On Feb 18, 2015
@op, ur idea s highly commendable. God bless u. I also think pinbar's suggestion s a gud one.
Anoda way is to hv d proposed beneficiaries submit submit like a business pkan. wot ll they do wt d 20k if they receive it.This way u ll kno those who ll just spend it and those who ll invest it.
Wish u d best
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by tchiwinnie: 10:52am On Feb 18, 2015
beabea5:
Will 20k b enuf to start up a shop?
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by tchiwinnie: 10:53am On Feb 18, 2015
mayorkays:
Sister, almost everyone needs money and for me my problem is not jst d 20k. Well if u belief in me n feel dat u can invest in sumone like me, den we can talk one on one as matured mind outside dis platform. After which if u feel dat u can trust me den we can do business together. U can WhatsApp me on 07036225545. Tnx
wot hv u said that ll mk her believe in u? She shld whatsapp u? Not even u calling or mailing her. Ndi mmadu sef
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by beabea5: 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
tchiwinnie:
Will 20k b enuf to start up a shop?

I already had some savings for shop rentage(2k per month)20k will buy goods for a start.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by MrIyke222(m): 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
pinbar:

2. Dont monetize it, since u are more inclined in IT and you believe so much in capacity building through trainings, seminars e.t.c pay for such trainings yourself as long as its within the budget and let your team follow up with the persons progress. That way, you will eliminate a lot of scams. know this, you cant solve the whole of the problems but the little one you are doing covers millions

3. with people like you in this country, there is still hope for the youths. Keep it up

Broh‘’ I strongly agry wit u. Monetizing such venture can easily b abused with d mentality of d avarage Nigerian youth out there. D money may not b much, but at dsame time its a whole lot for some one who knws d value of such gesture.
Human Capacity Development is d greatst investment anyone would stand to always b proud of. This is IT age nd thank God ure an IT person nd d present trend of life changing is 60% IT opportunity. So I believe dat giving dis hand of help through ur field area, will imencely contribute to d below average economy of our country. For instance, presently, I wnt to go for an IT training on Web development and programming, but cant afford #25000 training fee due other chalnges.
Pls take ur time and plan out a good structure on it with people of lik minds, u cam even partner with them and i bet u may not b stopping in Nigeria alone, bfor u know it, a foriegn donor agency may even com to partner with u.
God bless U

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Binance Users’ Assets Exceed $100 Billion / Importers Lament ‘high’ Tariff By Nigeria Customs / Nigeria Ranked Sixth Globally In Access To Credit - Jumoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.