Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. (1318 Views)

Before You Put A Screen Lock On Your Phone Read This / How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. / Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by akpanikpe(m): 10:22am On Feb 17, 2015
Cellphone addiction is in the same family as other technology addictions, such as computers and gaming, which are all part of a larger family of behavioral addictions (to gambling, exercise, sex, etc.). Anything that can produce pleasure in your brain has the potential of becoming addictive. Loss of control is the essential element of any addiction.

Research has identified the “six signs” of any type of substance or behavioral addiction. Those six signs – salience, mood modification, tolerance, withdrawal, conflict, and relapse – apply to cellphone addiction as well.

Are you addicted?

Let’s see.

Read the definitions of each of the six signs below and then agree or disagree with the following statements. By the time you’ve completed this task, you will have a better idea of whether you’ve reached your tipping point when it comes to your cellphone use.

Salience

A behavior becomes salient when it is deeply integrated into your daily routine.

1. The first thing I reach for after waking in the morning is my cellphone.

2. I would turn around and go back home on the way to work if I had left my cellphone at home.

Euphoria

Who knows what the beep, buzz, whistle, or stylized ringtone might have in store for you? The feeling of anticipation or excitement that precedes and/or follows the use of your cellphone is a mood modification that can result in euphoria.

3. I often use my cellphone when I am bored.

4. I have pretended to take calls to avoid awkward social situations.

Tolerance

As in the case of drug and alcohol abuse, tolerance addresses the need for an ever-increasing “dose” of the behavior to achieve the desired “high.”

5. I find myself spending more and more time on my cellphone.

6. I spend more time than I should on my cellphone.

Withdrawal symptoms

The feelings of irritability, stress, anxiousness, desperation, and even panic that often occur when you are separated from your cellphone are good examples of withdrawal symptoms.

7. I become agitated or irritable when my cellphone is out of sight.

8. I have gone into a panic when I thought I had lost my cellphone.

Conflict

A common outcome of cellphone addiction is conflict. Do your spouse or children complain that you are always on your phone? Do you allow texts, calls, and e-mails to spoil your vacations and personal time? Are your work activities interrupted by playing games, visiting Facebook, and countless other forms of entertainment offered on your cellphone?

9. I have argued with my spouse, friends, or family about my cellphone use.

10. I use my cellphone while driving my car.

Relapse

When we acknowledge that our cellphone use may be undermining our well-being, we attempt to stop. But then we slip back. We relapse.

11. I have tried to curb my cellphone use, but the effort didn’t last very long.

12. I need to reduce my cellphone use, but am afraid I can’t do it.
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Misterlaby: 11:41am On Feb 17, 2015
Is addiction really a crime wink
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by liljboy(m): 11:46am On Feb 17, 2015
except number 10..... other na true...... *crying* BUT WHAT CAN A G DO.... it helps joor, if I never sub like this e go be like say Lil Wayne Don ping me tire..... talk bout my music habit.... guy na jet age we dey joor..... but if u got something worthwhile doing, u can curb the habit sha
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Wittylens(m): 11:49am On Feb 17, 2015
My own don pass addiction.

I'd fall sick if I stay without my phone for 24hours

1 Like

Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 17, 2015
so am an addict without even knwing. Op, oya go find cure come o

1 Like

Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by akpanikpe(m): 3:18pm On Feb 17, 2015
liljboy:
except number 10..... other na true...... *crying* BUT WHAT CAN A G DO.... it helps joor, if I never sub like this e go be like say Lil Wayne Don ping me tire..... talk bout my music habit.... guy na jet age we dey joor..... but if u got something worthwhile doing, u can curb the habit sha
Lols.
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Gmajor(m): 4:19pm On Feb 17, 2015
if u find out that u are An addict wat next ?
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
The thing ma don tire me Sef...First thing in the morning... phone Chai sad
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by IceSplash(f): 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
Addicted
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Obaiyski(m): 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
What's meaning of mobile phone? It suppose to be closer all the time..
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by Yinkatolu: 9:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
so true jare
Re: Are U Addicted To Your Smart Phone? Read These 12 Sentences To Find Out. by JayTeeA(f): 11:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
yes I am undecided Ehen?

(1) (Reply)

My Memory Card Crashed. Over 7gb Worth Of Files / Infinix Hot 2 Problems / See The New Phone Invented In Ekiti....photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.