Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Chess Basics For Beginners - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Basics For Beginners (24800 Views)

How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? / Play Chess For The Orphans On A Giant Chess Mat / Play Chess And Make Good Money At Friends Of Chess Competition ( March 24-28) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by ToyinDipo(m): 9:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
Weldone Joy, nice idea and good effort.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:29am On Feb 19, 2015
Thanks ToyinDipo smiley

since there are no questions we go on to the other pieces

2.THE ROOKS

The rook is a very powerful piece on board, each player has two rooks at the beginning of the game. The rooks are usually placed at the rear end of the board behind the pawns. some people also call the rook a CASTLE because of its resemblance to a castle, it's official name any where is ROOK. the rook is worth 5 points like i mentioned earlier

The rook can move any number of squares in a straight line along any column or row. I said it moves in a straight line some people will say that means it can move diagonally since it's straight grin Abeg oh THE ROOK CANNOT MOVE DIAGONALLY what i mean is: the rook moves straight horizontal and vertically along any column or row.

Where the rook is placed also determines the total number of squares it can go. Unlike the pawns who are chickens and can't face what's in front of them. The rook (no nonsense guy) can take anything in his way except of course his own people.i.e it captures the way it moves.It has the ability to move forward or backward.

please note that the rook cant jump over it's own pieces. so if it's piece is on a square in which the rook can go omo the rook has to find his level and look for another direction to go. But if it's an opponent's piece then he has the chance to capture that piece.

Because of the rook's position on the edge of the board it is usually not used until the later phases of the game.

* The first picture shows how the rook looks like

* The 2nd picture shows us the movement of the rook and the total number of squares it can go

* The other pics shows us the direction of the pieces at different positions of the board

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 12:52am On Feb 19, 2015
prof800:

There are 32 pieces, 16 for each player just like you said. But there are no extra pieces. Any of the 8 pawns can crown up and be promoted.
If the Queen has been captured, you can use a promoted pawn to get it back.
If it has not been captured when your pawn crowns, then you can get a second queen by using any other piece to represent a second Queen, including that same pawn itself.
There are no extra pieces used for promotions. We make do with the 16 pairs.

And as far as I know, it is theoretically impossible to get a pawn promoted without losing a piece in any sane game.

Also, I don't know much about recording points but I think it is mainly relevant in formal competitions. (blitz etc).
Basically, if you capture my pawn, you have 1 point. If I then capture your own pawn, I also have 1 point.
If you then capture my knight you have 3 points. If I don't capture any of your pieces till the game ends (time-up), then you get to win since you have accumulated 4 points and I have just 1 sad .

That is the little I know. joywendy may give a clearer explanation when she comes.
wink

joywendy:

Yes my dear friend has practically said it all.
No more pieces added in the game, just the 16 pieces. that are on ground. its very unlikely that all your pieces will still be on board when your pawn gets to the point of promotion.
To add to what prof has said, the values of the pieces are also used when it comes to exchanging of pieces i.e to determine what piece you can exchange for another. for example: someone who doesn't know the value of their piece can decided to exchange a bishop with a rook. That is, i capture your bishop and then you capture my rook. In this case i m on the losing end because you are ahead by 2 points. As the bishop s just 3 points and the rook 5.
It can also be used sometimes to figure out if you’re winning or losing at any point in the game not counting or considering the positional advantage you may have.
so its not like scrabble though that you have to start recording down the points. Chess has its own form of recording. Which will be discussed later.
Hope you are okay with this? if you aren't, you can still lay you complains or more questions here smiley

Sure, I get it now. You both answered my questions cheesy guess I was too forward with the record taking question. Looking forward to that class then.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 12:57am On Feb 19, 2015
prof800:

cry
mama, I'm here. I'm glad you're here too. But I'm worried you don't love me anymore. cry cry cry cry

How could you just leave like that without even bothering to check up on us over there @ forum games? sad
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 1:02am On Feb 19, 2015
Uhm, teacher...did I just read 'Column or Row' in the last lecture? What happened to 'Files or Ranks'? grin

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 1:12am On Feb 19, 2015
luxanne:

Sure, I get it now. You both answered my questions cheesy guess I was too forward with the record taking question. Looking forward to that class then.

No you weren't at all, in fact i loved your question cheesy

It's a very important aspect of chess a chess player has to understand. Most people sometimes get confused as to what role the points play in the game, so i was kinda expecting that question to come up.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 1:17am On Feb 19, 2015
luxanne:
Uhm, teacher...did I just read 'Column or Row' in the last lecture? What happened to 'Files or Ranks'? grin

grin grin

this is beginners class so it is still acceptable. cheesy
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 1:23am On Feb 19, 2015
joywendy:

No you weren't at all, in fact i loved your question cheesy

It's a very important aspect of chess a chess player has to understand. Most people sometimes get confused as to what role the points play in the game, so i was kinda expecting that question to come up.

cheesy cheesy smiley smiley

joywendy:

grin grin
this is beginners class so it is still acceptable. cheesy

Singing...

I We don't want rows and columns, I We want ranks and files, the right terminologies grin

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 8:27am On Feb 19, 2015
luxanne:

cheesy cheesy smiley smiley

Singing...

I We don't want rows and columns, I We want ranks and files, the right terminologies grin
Aluta mama, I join you in protest. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Collinz2(m): 9:01am On Feb 19, 2015
I love this thread and i believe it will add to my chess skills.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:39am On Feb 19, 2015
3. THE KNIGHT.

The knight has the same resemblance with a horse. it is one of the most special piece on board because of its special ability to jump over pieces. it is usually placed side by side with the rook. Each player starts with two in the beginning. It is worth 3 points.

The knight is the only piece on board that can jump over pieces. what do i mean by jump? i mean that compared to the other pieces on board that have to wait for some other piece to move before they are free, the knight doesn't wait for anyone his movement gives him the ability to jump over them. (aspa i don't have time to waste kinda guy. The typical Nigerian mentality that's why we like to cut through queues in the petrol station or during traffic grin)

The knight moves in a L SHAPED pattern in any direction either forward, backward or sideways. We can say that it either moves two squares sideways and then one square up or down, or two squares up or down, and then one square sideways.

i.e one square forward one square diagonal or
one square sideways one square diagonal or
one square backwards one square diagonal.

if a knight is on a light square when landing it lands on a dark square and vice versa. Pls note that the position of the knights on board also matters. knights that are closer to the center of the board will generally be more valuable to you than knights that are stuck along the edges. why? at the center it reaches the maximum amount of squares it can go which is 8 squares when at the edge maybe just 3 or 4 squares.

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:52am On Feb 19, 2015
The knight itself is quite a complicated piece. so i have more photos here describing how the knight moves.

you can check this lil tutorial video to understand better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1NWex7KAwk

or check out the link below
https://www.kidchess.com/instruction/knights.htm

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by CoCoLav(f): 12:14pm On Feb 19, 2015
still here
*following silently*

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:34pm On Feb 19, 2015
CoCoLav:
still here
*following silently*

i will soon give you your test soon cheesy
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Emeka71(m): 3:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
@joy; good job done in explanations. I have really updated My knowledge of chess. I play with computer but very tough to win even when I have My King, Queen, rookie, and a pawn Whereas the computer has Just the King left I will still be unable to checkmate. The king will keep finding a way until a draw is declared. Is the computer cheating Me or what?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Collinz2(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Emeka71:
@joy; good job done in explanations. I have really updated My knowledge of chess. I play with computer but very tough to win even when I have My King, Queen, rookie, and a pawn Whereas the computer has Just the King left I will still be unable to checkmate. The king will keep finding a way until a draw is declared. Is the computer cheating Me or what?
thats how computer play always looking for stalemate
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2015
Emeka71:

lol....computer no wan lose grin

The computer isn't cheating you, you have problems with checkmating. You need to learn the different ways of checkmating. There is rook and king mate, queen and rook mate etc.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by tushbobo(m): 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2015
Good one @ joywendy. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Emeka71(m): 11:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
joywendy:

The computer isn't cheating you, you have problems with checkmating. You need to learn the different ways of checkmating. There is rook and king mate, queen and rook mate etc.
Ok I will surely try to win chess on computer.
Collinz2:
thats how computer play always looking for stalemate
joywendy:

Ok I will surely try to win chess on computer.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Baddestguyp(m): 1:17am On Feb 20, 2015
kudos op, I really need to learn this. its very complicated and so unlike checkers

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:52am On Feb 20, 2015
4. THE BISHOP

The bishop another wonderful piece on board is usually placed side by side with the knight and close to the king and queen. Each player starts with 2 bishops. it is usually recognized with it's pointy top and a small cut to the sides. it is also worth 3 points like the knight.

The bishops moves DIAGONALLY OR IN A X PATTERN. unlike the pawns who just move a square diagonally when capturing the bishop itself has no limits to the squares it can go. Except of course he has a piece in it's path, if it is an opponents piece he is free to take but if it is his own piece he has to look for another direction to go as it does not posses the ability to jump over pieces like the knight. The bishop also captures the way it moves.

I once said that the bishops have to be on two different colours of squares. Why? let me explain, look at the board carefully. Try imagining X on the board from the centre to the edge of the board. you notice that the X runs along a particular colour either white or black.

So we have two bishops one is called the LIGHT OR WHITE SQUARE BISHOP which is usually placed on a light or white square and moves diagonally on just LIGHT OR WHITE SQUARES and the DARK OR BLACK SQUARE BISHOPS which is placed on a dark or black square moves diagonally on just DARK OR BLACK SQUARES.

* The first picture shows us how a bishop looks like.

* The second pic shows how the DARK SQUARE bishop moves

* The third pic shows the number of squares the white bishop can go when blocked by his own pieces

* The fourth pic shows how the LIGHT SQUARE bishop moves

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 9:41am On Feb 20, 2015
like i said the bishop captures the way it moves, so i have an example here of the bishop taking a piece.

The rook placed on the H file stands in the way of the dark square bishop. The bishop can capture the rook, he does this by removing the Rook from the board and placing himself in its (rook's) place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by kandiikane(m): 10:32am On Feb 20, 2015
this is so new, I have not played chess in years and I think I use to play it like draughts, not sure.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:45am On Feb 20, 2015
5. THE QUEEN

Yes finally enough of the men now. grin Let us welcome the only madam on the board the queen cheesy Each player is given just one queen at the beginning of the game. This is the most powerful piece on board and also one of the most loved piece on board. It is easily recognized with the lil crown she has on her head. She and her king are exceptionally taller than the other pieces. Na them rule the kingdom what do you expect wink The queen usually stands next to her king on the chess board.

Why is the queen known as the most powerful piece? simple: the queen movement is the combination of the rook and the two bishops and she is the only piece that can reach so many squares at once.

she can move straight horizontally and vertically, move diagonally either on black or white squares. she can reach so many squares at once. She also captures the way she moves. Unfortunately for us, the queen cant jump over pieces like the knight so if a piece is in its path she either takes (if it is an opponents piece) or looks for another place (if it is her own piece)

Now you know why she is worth 9 points cheesy

The queen is at it's most powerful when placed at the centre of the board than at the edges or sides. The queen is usually not always, brought out during the middle or towards the end of the game.

The game is not over when she is gone but if your opponent has a Queen and you do not, oh boy better start to dey pray 'cause at this point you MAY BE at a serious disadvantage. Note the word 'may be'.

*1st pic shows the direction the queen can go when placed at the center
* 2nd pic shows how the queen's move has been limited by her own people
* 3rd pic shows the number of squares the queen can move when in another position

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
The Queen....

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:49pm On Feb 20, 2015
Tushbobo thanks smiley

Baddestguyp thanks and welcome smiley

Kandiikane lol, play chess like draught now that's funny. grin Anyways welcome to the class smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Macmilla(m): 12:57pm On Feb 20, 2015
My first chess lesson. Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 4:19pm On Feb 20, 2015
6. THE KING

FINALLY! ladies and gentlemen i introduce to you. The don of the game, the one yes the almighty one, The one we are all here today for, without him there is no chess. Our royal majesty THE KING cheesy

The king is the MOST IMPORTANT piece on board. The king is easily recognized with a small cross on top of his head i.e a '+' sign. Each player has a king on board and it usually stands close to his lovely queen.

It can NEVER BE CAPTURED i.e THE KING NEVER LEAVES THE BOARD and if it is in danger then it must be made safe immediately. If it is not possible to make the King safe then the game is lost. So all the pieces on board are just there to protect the king and keep him safe.

When a king is under direct attack by one, two of the opponent's pieces, the player is said to be in CHECK. When in check, only moves that remove the king from attack are allowed. A player must not make any move that would place his king in check.

The object of the game is to CHECKMATE the opponent's King. This happens when the opponent's king is in check, and there are no moves that remove the king from attack. i.e the king is under attack and has no place to run to for safety or has no piece to block/remove this attack.

One would expect that has king he should be better than the rest. please wake up from your dreams grin Ask yourself why do presidents have body guards? why cant they just walk around free like all of us? Let them try it if haters won't shot them down grin grin. The king being the most important is one of the weakest pieces after the pawn when it comes to movement so he needs 15 people to guard him.

So how does this piece move?
like husband like wife grin The king moves the same way the queen moves but like the pawn one square at a time. Very cool headed and doesn't like trouble. He moves in a BOX format, taking it one step at a time in any direction. Unlike the queen the king's movement is limited to one square at a time forward, backwards and sideways. He captures the way it moves.

THE KING CAN ONLY MOVE TWO STEPS ONCE IN A GAME WITH A SPECIAL MOVE CALLED "CASTLING" WHICH IS DONE WITH THE ROOK. THIS WILL BE EXPLAINED IN THE NEXT LESSON

The pic below shows his movement

the 2nd shows the king with his pawns

To be continued..........

*edited*

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 4:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
please people i will finish up on the king later tomorrow and we will start our next lesson. Thanks smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 9:34am On Feb 21, 2015
Emeka71:
Ok I will surely try to win chess on computer.Ok I will surely try to win chess on computer.

i also advise that you play more with humans than computers. cause this computers are programmed in different levels. it would get to a point that you will begin to get frustrated because of your inability to win and instead of you trying to learn from your mistakes, you don't cause you are just focus on defeating the computer which has already been programmed to 'win'

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 10:07am On Feb 21, 2015
joywendy:

Kandiikane lol, play chess like draught now that's funny. grin Anyways welcome to the class smiley

I've seen people play chess like draught and they get angry when I let them know they are playing it wrongly.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2015
Good morning everyone smiley
Now to continue our lesson of yesterday cheesy

A player must not make any move that would place his king in check. Apart from being limited by pieces to move, The king can also be limited if the opponents pieces are attacking a particular or some squares i.e The King must NEVER move on to a square that is being attacked by the opponents pieces because it will put the king in CHECK.
When we say 'attacking a square' it refers to the squares that a piece can move to that can put other pieces in danger if not properly protected.

Now this photo below will describe what has been said here, now there are two squares marked x. why are they marked? The dark square bishop as we remember moves diagonally on a dark square and it is attacking those squares that are marked 'x' so in chess it is impossible for the king to move to those squares that are under attack by the dark square bishop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hack And Install Games On Your PS4 Console, For As Low As 1K Each. / How To Fix VRAM Issues On Pes 2016, Changing Your Shared VRAM To Dedicated VRAM / Google Condemned For Advertising LUV Game That Promotes Rape And Incest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.