Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,408 members, 7,781,186 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:21 AM

Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery (45979 Views)

I Bought This FIL Power Bank That Look Like A Phone Today. / Power Bank Sets Owner On Fire (photos) / How To Conquer Low Phones Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by chrislong(m): 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2015
Hi everyone....sorry I had to disturb u but I have to ask this o....I've been using power banks with my Samsung s3 just cause it's a work item for me and usually need it alive.

However I've noticed that am having to change batteries every month as often as I subscribe for data.

Please i need to know if the power bank is the one spoiling my batteries cause the batteries were actually bought in good conditions before it decides to charge backwards and gwt pregnant after....is someone experiencing this tooe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by psucc(m): 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
Yes am sure.

Reason: Every phone charger has an inbuilt diodes that convert electric volts to the requirements of the phone components.

Whereas in the power bank this diodes are not there. Therefore, it can cause not only the battery to go bad but also may affect the phone itself in the long run.

20 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Emmyk(m): 10:51pm On Feb 17, 2015
Spot on @Psucc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by xtophy(m): 11:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
psucc:
Yes am sure.

Reason: Every phone charger has an inbuilt diodes that convert electric volts to the requirements of the phone components.

Whereas in the power bank this diodes are not there. Therefore, it can cause not only the battery to go bad but also may affect the phone itself in the long run.
who told u diodes are not in power banks.

i copied this from a nairalander...pls, sowi
No. The actual phone charger is in your phone. It
doesn't matter where the power comes from,
charging is always the same. Modern Lithium Ion and
Lithium Poly cells do
benefit from being "topped off". There is no
lifetime penalty for charging before they're
depleted. In fact, letting a battery get too low
will reduce its lifetime. You count on the
phone's software to prevent the most extreme form of this,
but it's far better to charge before
the battery dies. A typical Lithium battery will have between
and 500 full charge cycles. So if you let your
phone die every day, you could need a new
battery in less than a year. Most people don't do
that, and so it's more common to get two or so
years out of that cell. Hybrid ccars don't have dramatically
different
batteries, but they only run through a fraction if
the battery's capacity. If you had a charger that
would only charge to about 80% of the battery's
capacity, and the phone cut off at 20% or so, the
battery might last a decade (assuming that power cycling is
the only aging mechanism...
sone Lithium chemistries don't last more than
3-5 years even without any use). Of course,
you'd hate the battery life, and the phone
makers would eliminate one reason people
upgrade to new phones, so this is unlikely to happen.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by xtophy(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2015
power banks are built in such a way dat it will not spoil ur fone or its battery. if only i can type much, i would have explained some things on it. buh, tym is not my friend at all

10 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by mjames: 11:37pm On Feb 17, 2015
Power banks has degree. Go for quality

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Promking: 11:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
Are you among those that make use of the phone while its charging....If yes, then you're doing the battery no good.

5 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Amaechi5(m): 5:55am On Feb 18, 2015
@op am sure u uses ur phone while it is changing,this damaged my sis galaxy s3 battery.
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by psucc(m): 9:13am On Feb 18, 2015
xtophy:
who told u diodes are not in power banks

To whatever degree you may argue, remember that all phones do not carry the same charge volt and so their chargers are made to suit each requirement. Whereas the power bank is configured at a certain and constant voltage output.

Hence, it may either be higher or lesser than the phone requirement. Guess what the effect will be.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by sorextee(m): 10:55am On Feb 18, 2015
It does o. Especially using d fone wen it's on power bank mode..
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 18, 2015
No. It only damages the battery life cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 18, 2015
Yes it does,it kills it silently.
It didn't take up to a month,it destroyed my samsung battery
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by WhiZTiM(m): 11:49am On Feb 18, 2015
It depends....

1 Like

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:50am On Feb 18, 2015
It's a Fallacy.... no it doesn't!!

Nigerians sef.
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by MizTyna(f): 11:50am On Feb 18, 2015
As long as you get a good one,your phone's okay. I have a power bank I use for my phones and no issues with the phones so far.

1 Like

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by webincomeplus(m): 11:50am On Feb 18, 2015
sorextee:
It does o. Especially using d fone wen it's on power bank mode..
Which one is power bank mode?

6 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by korel9: 11:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Wow! shocked

"Using a phone while charging and on power bank mode destroys the battery"

Just hearing of that.

This is why I love NL cheesy

Does this mean I should ALWAYS switch off when charging my phone?
Cos sometimes unsolicited calls come in while charging the phone. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by eemalex(m): 11:51am On Feb 18, 2015
What I know about using a power bank is that your battery rarely gets to 1% or go off and this makes it difficult for the battery to be calibrated (full discharge and full charge) with leads to short life span of the battery.

Also while charging with a power bank you probably are also making use of your phone heavily and this raises the battery temperature making the lithium content weak and short life span of battery.

Apart from this a power bank was built so that it can charge your battery without harm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by naijainfogalery: 11:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Lemme break it down if you use a China phone like Tecno and the likes, the power bank will work perfectly remember the old saying birds of a feather flock together. However if you use Ajebo/Sophisticated phones like Samsung, Apple etc you will keep changing the battery every month. Its simple and logical, the same way a child that lives in Lekki would purge when she drinks garri and his counterpart in Agege would grow stronger drinking the same garri .

You cant eat your cake and have it, Its either you stick to your ajebuuter life or just come to the pako levels

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by sorextee(m): 11:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Wen u connect ur fone to d power bank..
webincomeplus:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Maczeelly(m): 11:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Learning

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by datguru: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2015
Ummm
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by natureblack(m): 11:52am On Feb 18, 2015
Nope,as long as the power-bank voltage offered is between 5.1v to 5.4v
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Olutola88(m): 11:53am On Feb 18, 2015
YES it does! I noticed that about 2 weeks ago. My phone's cell life dropped noticeably after charging my phone with power bank for one week
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by gmacnoms(m): 11:53am On Feb 18, 2015
webincomeplus:

me sef taya. Power bank Mode ke
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 18, 2015
It don't o! Oo.

Av been importing power banks online for 3 good years now and non of my clients has ever complained of this. Well it depends on the phone and power bank sha.

If u want to start importing items, products online please visit the link on my signature.
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Okaka27(m): 11:54am On Feb 18, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by henrydadon(m): 11:54am On Feb 18, 2015
oga qo nd get a qood fone nd stop makinq noise here....buh wait how d fu#k did this post qet to front page# mod do d needful pls angry
Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by toyfat: 11:55am On Feb 18, 2015
Nope.. It doesn't ...the thing is this.. Every battery has a charge span even car batteries... Every time you charge, the span reduces...so with your power bank you charge more often which reduces your battery life faster..

2 Likes

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by Ojestas(m): 11:55am On Feb 18, 2015
Try mayorall power source power bank,, i v been using it with my phones for almost a year now. . my phones and batteries haven't degraded in any way. Go for quality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Power Bank Spoil Phones Battery by fxgal: 11:56am On Feb 18, 2015
It depends on the power bank.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

People Queuing Up For Iphone 6 (photos) / Facebook Banned Me For 30 Days For Using 'Clown' (Photos) / What's The Best Data Plan For Heavy Users?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.