Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,737 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade (28873 Views)

The Cancellation Of Post Utme, A Blessing To Our Educational System. / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by callydon(m): 1:31am On Feb 19, 2015
The directive by the National Universities Commission (NUC) cancelling the award of ‘Pass’ grade in the na­tion’s universities is causing dis­quiet in the Ivory Towers. The order, which was reportedly issued last year, came to the front burner at the 2014/2015 matriculation ceremony of Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, when the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Abdullahi Zuru, informed the fresh students about the develop­ment.

Zuru urged the students to em­brace the new E-grading system in the university and work hard to earn a good grade. He pointed out that with the new grading system, the pass mark for courses in the univer­sities will now be 45 percent, that is, the D-grade, instead of the previous 40 percent, which was E-grade. In the new order, the minimum class of degree that students can earn will now be Third Class. Universi­ties will, therefore, now only award First Class, Second Class (Upper Division), Second Class (Lower Di­vision) and Third Class degrees.

The matter is, however, generating heated debates and controversies among stakeholders in the nation’s higher education system. It has vir­tually divided the universities into two camps, with one tenaciously supporting the old grading system while the other sees great merit in the new order.

Those opposed to the new grading system say the decline in the qual­ity of education in the universities cannot be redressed with the re­classification of degrees. They want the NUC to, instead, work towards improving the quality of teaching and learning by providing qualified teachers and modern learning fa­cilities in the institutions. For them, shoring up the grading system with­out provision of the necessary staff­ing and equipment will neither im­prove academic standards nor the global ranking of our universities. They are also of the view that the move amounts to an erosion of the hard-earned autonomy of universi­ties.

Those in support of the new grad­ing system say the upgrading of the score required to obtain a degree is a step in the right direction, if prop­erly implemented. Besides, they be­lieve that it will make the students work harder and ultimately enhance their grade.

As the regulator of university edu­cation in Nigeria, the NUC unargu­ably has the statutory responsibility to do whatever it can to shore up the quality of degrees awarded by Nigerian universities. We believe that this increase of the pass mark required to earn a degree in Nigeri­an universities is well within the au­thority of the regulatory institution. It could, indeed, elicit more serious commitment to their studies from students when they realise that they could easily spend years in the uni­versities without passing out with a degree. The quality of the worst per­forming students in the universities may also be improved by this initia­tive.

Nevertheless, we expect the NUC to properly sell the gains of this initiative to the universities before implementing it. The adjustment should not, also, be done in isola­tion. It should be accompanied with other steps that can help to raise academic standards. No doubt, the place of qualified lecturers and well equipped educational facilities such as libraries and laboratories can­not be dismissed in the quest to improve academic standards in our higher institutions. We expect more action from NUC in this regard.

While it is not in contention that the NUC has the right to fix the pass mark in our universities, being the regulator of that level of education, we enjoin fuller consultation with the authorities of the various univer­sities for a harmonious and seam­less transition to the new grading system.

It is necessary to carry all the stakeholders along for the innova­tion to be properly implemented. The need for a uniform grading system for the nation’s universities cannot be overemphasized.

Beyond this, the ‘Pass’ degree is odious and is largely treated with contempt by employers of labour. Abolishing the grade will make stu­dents sit up and brace up to the challenges of their studies.

Let our universities embrace and implement the new grading system. It is also necessary for NUC and the universities to properly enlight­en both the students and lecturers about the initiative so that all the stakeholders can be well informed about it and get prepared for its im­plementation.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=105490

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by izsmike: 1:36am On Feb 19, 2015
I guess first class will now be 4.75 cgpa

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by callydon(m): 7:22am On Feb 19, 2015
izsmike:
Maybe, maybe not. let's just wait n see how d whole thing unfolds.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by teemanbastos(m): 8:26am On Feb 19, 2015
izsmike:
mad..even d 4.5cgpa..man dy struggle...dy wan kill person ni?!
Uni. Lyk Futa wunt produce 1st klass again niyen o.

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by kilopiont: 8:26am On Feb 19, 2015
ok o
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by TippyTop(m): 8:26am On Feb 19, 2015
Pass grades are not bad, Buhari who wants to be president has no certificate at all.

Always thank God for small mercies.

Jonnyboy till 2019

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by heykims(m): 8:27am On Feb 19, 2015
I hold no objection with this new development simply because I don't even expect any graduate with a pass to present his/her certificate anywhere but only to show off in the midst of mediocrities to have passed through a university..
My question now is that considering D is now the pass mark at 45% which means the minimum accepted CPGA is now 2 of 5, what's d fate of a student with a CGPA below this cut off point, (withdrawal from the university?) or they need to get to the final year before the final CGPA is assessed and then denied a degree certificate?

My suggestion:
Anybody with a CGPA below the minimum required should be made to repeat that class/level until he/she improves on the grade

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by msmon(m): 8:27am On Feb 19, 2015
A platform to encourage examination malpractices and other vices. Do you think those girls will agree with this?

National Assembly Approves Life Pension For President, Vice, Others In New Constitution
www.nairaland.com/2155188/national-assembly-approves-life-pension

Military Force Alone Can’t Defeat B’Haram And Other Terrorist Group – Obama
www.nairaland.com/2154873/military-force-alone-cant-defeat

Insurance Marketer Arraigned For Diverting N3m Customers’ Deposits - Punch
www.nairaland.com/2155426/insurance-marketer-arraigned-diverting-n3m

We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured)
www.nairaland.com/2155403/pay-between-300-500-naira
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by datguru: 8:27am On Feb 19, 2015
To me its a welcome development, I don't see any reason why it should rejected
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 19, 2015
The problem is not pass degree or no pass degree....we are still training clerks....not problem solvers.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by vivaciouzz(f): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2015
Y should a student graduate with a 'pass'..third class is better..good decision
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by ogawisdom(m): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2015
Good move but lecturers without PhD shld nt b allowed to lecture. D minimum degree to lecture shld b PhD. Assistant lecturer position shld b abolished. Those already employed without PhD shld b given max of 5yrs to earn PhD or b flushed out. Employing masters holders as lecturers shld b stopped immediately.

Also university facilities for research n learning shld b improved as well.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 19, 2015
GEJ is really working

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 19, 2015
Really sorry for average students.

If they like cancel third class,some of us are not shaken.If there's fairness and justice in the varsity system,this shouldn't be news.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Mrphilia: 8:30am On Feb 19, 2015
Ok but only if all pass students would be upgraded to Third class grade.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by BlackPeni5: 8:30am On Feb 19, 2015
Only lazy people will not support the removal

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by free2ryhme: 8:31am On Feb 19, 2015
Divide kor divided ni
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Iykebestbt(m): 8:31am On Feb 19, 2015
Do I care?
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by phayvoursky(m): 8:31am On Feb 19, 2015
Make una wait make I comot with my 3.7 first before una begin talk all this one
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by shadelek(m): 8:31am On Feb 19, 2015
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Vock(m): 8:33am On Feb 19, 2015
I pity some students for Unilorin, now those lecturers have more say on them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Temmi001: 8:33am On Feb 19, 2015
A plot of land at Banana Island tho!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by rashygenius: 8:34am On Feb 19, 2015
Dem sha no cancel 2.2

DTS d hope of a common man

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by kent79: 8:34am On Feb 19, 2015
Gbagaun!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by daimsy(f): 8:35am On Feb 19, 2015
I honestly subscribe to the second opinion .because some university environments are not better than secondary schools.even the calibres of lecturers we have are not even helping the students.all they are after is the imposition of their wacky textbooks without an in depth knowledge on the field of research.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by seunoni34(m): 8:36am On Feb 19, 2015
teemanbastos:
mad..even d 4.5cgpa..man dy struggle...dy wan kill person ni?!
Uni. Lyk Futa wunt produce 1st klass again niyen o.
I swear! Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by swimcash(m): 8:36am On Feb 19, 2015
lazy student kip complainin. y after 4 to 5yrs, na pass u go graduate wit n u go call urself graduate. lol na wa o......#teamscrappass
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by igeolink: 8:36am On Feb 19, 2015
BlackPeni5:
Only lazy people will not support the removal
Like u

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by micrep3030(m): 8:37am On Feb 19, 2015
Co.e to uniabuja where u will get 3rd class u will be jubilating DAT u r among the best

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

January 18 School Resumption Date Stands - Ministry Of Education / Student Captured Berating Teacher In Viral Video / Someone Please Help Me Before I Kill Myself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.