Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

First Quiz Of 2009 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / First Quiz Of 2009 (986 Views)

Most Confusing And Simple Maths Quiz / The Worst Site Of 2009? / My First Post Of 2009 - A Frameset Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2009
Okay so no one wanted to answer my last quiz of 2008.  No yawa, nothing spoil. But that won't keep me away  cool

visit this site: http://www.aittvusa.com/schedule/

hover over any of the links to the right like "sports watch". note where the div that appears is showing.  Perhaps not a big deal to you but as you hover over the ones towards the end of the page, you start to notice that eventually you can't see any of the layer popups.  IMHO, i think this is bad user experience as it prevents you eventually from seeing the show description. Also, at some point, it looks as though the description for one show is next to the title of another. 

I think the pop up should appear to the right of the links such that the bottom of the layer is on the same line as the show title.  That way, you always see a popup, but hey, thatz just me. Take some time to view the source.  Don't bother to point out the semantic errors as that isn't the reason why this popups are appearing where they are.

Question:
If I were to ask you to implement my solution in the 3rd paragraph, how would you make it happen?

Oya, who will open the floor?
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by OmniPotens(m): 9:01pm On Jan 06, 2009
Aunty I! Aunty I!! Aunty I!!!

Hey, wait make I try.

be right back tongue
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 06, 2009
I wasnt around last year - at least not on NL - i bet i would have answered the quiz and correctly too!
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 07, 2009
Check out http://mwebng.net/demos/tooltip/

This method will work on any browser - i think i have gone beyond the level of actually testing it - i use crossplatform dhtml techniques.

ToolTipDemo.html

<title>Hover Links</title>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff">
<div id="tip" style="position:absolute;display:none;background:#cccccc;width:100px;height:50px;border:1px solid blue">
Title: <span id="title"></span><br>
Date: Today
</div>

<script>
function hover(link) {
with(document.getElementById("tip"wink) {
style.display="block";
style.left=link.offsetLeft+link.offsetWidth+10+"px";
style.top=link.offsetTop + link.offsetHeight - offsetHeight + "px"
document.getElementById("title"wink.innerHTML=link.innerHTML;
}
}
function closeTip() {
document.getElementById("tip"wink.style.display="none";
}
</script>

<br><br><br><br><br><br>

<hr>

<li><a href="#" onmouseout="closeTip()" onmousemove="hover(this)">Monday</a>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#" onmousemove="hover(this)" onmouseout="closeTip()">Tuesday</a><br>
<br>
<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#" onmousemove="hover(this)" onmouseout="closeTip()">Wedndesday</a><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#" onmousemove="hover(this)" onmouseout="closeTip()">Thursday</a><br>
&nbsp;<a href="#" onmousemove="hover(this)" onmouseout="closeTip()">Friday</a><br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a onmousemove="hover(this)" onmouseout="closeTip()" href="#">Saturday</a><br><br>

I just wrote that just now - as you can see no downloaded code from anywhere - that is straight from my head. So where is my price?
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 8:10pm On Jan 07, 2009
Hmmm, I guess we are going to start off 2009 the same way we ended 2008 - silence with respect to quizzes but activity with respect to "free dumps", "site reviews", "tutorials", etc.  Oh well, hopefully we all get to learn regardless.

dhtml,

Took a look at your solution.  Didn't want to test but you made me do it  when you stated that you tested it or I guess I don't know what this means tongue
i have gone beyond the level of actually testing it - i use crossplatform dhtml techniques.

I too "just wrote that just now", with "no downloaded code from anywhere - that is straight from my head" wink

Sure, there are 1001 ways of approaching a solution but there are also better ways as well.  I think my solution is better (I even borrowed a few things from your solution too  cool).  Why?  Funny you should ask:

1) Mine's cleaner (less code, semantic markup, easier to read, code is indented properly, etc).  I am willing to ignore this one though as it is beyond the scope of this post.

2) Unlike you, I actually tested in FF and IE (The layout for yours is messed up in both browsers and the alignment of the tooltip is off in IE6)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script>
function hover(num) {
var i = num;
document.getElementById("test_" + num).style.display = "block";
}

function closeTip(num) {
var i = num;
document.getElementById("test_" + num).style.display = "none";
}
</script>
<style>
body { margin: 60px 30px; }
div.container {
position: relative;
margin: 10px 0 0 0;
}
div.testDiv {
display: none;
height: 70px;
width: 100px;
background-color: #ccc;
position: absolute;
top: -50px;
left: 70px;
}
h5, p { margin: 5px 5px; }
</style>
</head>

<body>
<div class="container">
<a href="#" onmouseover="hover(0);" onmouseout="closeTip(0);">Test Link</a>
<div id="test_0" class="testDiv">
<h5>Title here</h5>
<p>Time: 2pm</p>
</div>
</div>

<div class="container">
<a href="#" onmouseover="hover(1);" onmouseout="closeTip(1);">Test Link</a>
<div id="test_1" class="testDiv">
<h5>Title here</h5>
<p>Time: 5pm</p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Having said that, you did tackle the issue as stated and for that, I don't know about a "price" as the solution wasn't fully tested but I will give it to you for effort.  How's that? grin

Expect more quizzes folks.  I think they actually help.  Also, let's all also post quizzes as well.
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 07, 2009
I have nothing to say this time - the code i gave you is not complete - i actually tweaked it a little - most of the codes i paste on this forum are not complete workable solutions - only very few - i expect you to work on the remaining after giving the basic idea behind it.
The trick to this solution is the offset properties, that is all there is to it,
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 12:46pm On Jan 08, 2009
dhtml,

We have both spoken and it is up to the audience to decide wink
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 08, 2009
***** DHTML is angry and is spewing fire and ajax **************
Audience - please hold on o - dont make any votes yet - mehn, i gotta win the first prize for this quiz - as if i can let a lady beat me to it - i will have to go all out on this one - but i do not guarantee if beginners will be able to follow the one i am going to post next - but i will document how it will work - BUT I CAN GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL BE CROSSPLATFORM - AND DOCUMENTATION [NOT ON THE ENGINE] BUT ON HOW TO USE IT WILL BE AVAILABLE F.O.C
That will be later in the day/night though.
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:46pm On Jan 08, 2009
scriptaculous. grin

all i can say. maybe anchoring the tooltip by the side of the link will separate it (visually) from the current position where it obscures part of the listing and time.

have you seen this (it is also based on the scriptaculous script.)

[url]http://www.nickstakenburg.com/projects/prototip2/
[/url]

Man http://www.aittvusa.com/ site works and looks good. permit me to froth at the mouth.
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2009
@dhtml. pls ignore my post. carry on with your coding i'd be interested to see how this pans out smiley
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 3:53pm On Jan 08, 2009
as if i can let a lady beat me to it

There you have it folks - the actual reason he wants to do it. As the good book says (paraphrasing), "whatsoever a man sayeth, he thinketh it first" and "whatsoever proceedeth to come out of the mouth of man can not be taken back" cool
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 3:56pm On Jan 08, 2009
s
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2009

- lol - i was expecting you to react to that statement - In reality, I am not like that - But then, i alwayz love to put up a competition - yes - i am a competitive person - and you need to be competitive to improve.

Anyway, let's not deviate - audience are waiting to vote - I will paste my code - in say an hour from now - lemme scan my threads and see if any attention is needed anywhere - i may have to copy your codes if needed 'cos i am really desperate now for votes! And please add a poll to this thread later so ppl can vote for the winner of the prize - we may allow the audience to decided on the prizes!
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 08, 2009

- lol - i was expecting you to react to that statement - In reality, I am not like that - But then, i alwayz love to put up a competition - yes - i am a competitive person - and you need to be competitive to improve.

Anyway, let's not deviate - audience are waiting to vote - I will paste my code - in say an hour from now - lemme scan my threads and see if any attention is needed anywhere - i may have to copy your codes if needed 'cos i am really desperate now for votes! And please add a poll to this thread later so ppl can vote for the winner of the prize - we may allow the audience to decided on the prizes! And I am assuming you are not going to modify your code [i have not even tested it yet]

And @lagerwhenindoubt thanks for the tip - i will copy some of the style there - but i think prototype class is considered cheating in this competition - i suspect it has more to do with raw/rough programming skills with emphasis on crossplatform javascripting.
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 6:30pm On Jan 08, 2009
1) u r competing with urself with respect to this post tongue

2) posting new code is tantamount to election fraud cool

Leave it as is and take any criticism like a man, with balls (hopefully you still have those grin)
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 08, 2009
1) u r competing with yourself with respect to this post

2) posting new code is tantamount to election fraud

Leave it as is and take any criticism like a man, with balls (hopefully you still have those )

She don yawa me O! Aye mi O!

*** dhtml puts both hands on his head, deleted his now useless codes, and storms off angrily to create a thread for the learners titled something like guideline/roadmap - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-216485.0.html - and exits the thread with his eyes red like fire and vowing revenge for having been dirtied so much in the public by a lady!!! ***
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by yawatide(f): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
dhtml,

shugah or no shugah, am still ur shugah tongue
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by OmniPotens(m): 2:13am On Jan 09, 2009
Work load here is not allowing me get into posts this time around. Just exempt me until next week or two. All I can provide to most threads are is just a one or two line response either to back-up or any or sort.

I see the run down of things here. Keep it up and remember me in your honorary awards grin
Re: First Quiz Of 2009 by diltony(f): 4:10am On Jan 09, 2009
@yawa, dis one don pass suga - na afta u defeat DHTML - na im, d guy say he won go on leave o?

(1) (Reply)

Facebook, Twitter And Linkedin.who Rules? / Pls Who Has Jrpassphrase Pro / Has Anyone Tried Softpay.org's Virtual Credit Card?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.