Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? (15667 Views)

Technology Will Be Deployed To Fight Crime In Kogi State (photos) / Soldiers With Padlocked Mouths Deployed For Election @ Oshodi / How Can Sick Soldiers Be In Full Regalia In Hospital Bed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by ochejoseph(m): 9:10am On Feb 19, 2015

Nairaland Parliament 

The All progressive congress has just written to Jega and President Jonathan about its opposition to the use of soldiers to maintain Law and order during elections citing the judgement of a Federal High court and another case on appeal!

The issues for determination amongst Nairaland parliamentarians and critical stake holders  today is as follows 

1.Can the civil defence and  police which the APC is proposing ensure safety of lives and property during elections in places like   in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa , Bauchi, Gombe and Kano ?

2. Does the presence of soldiers patrolling the street during elections scare voters or assure voters of their safety? 

3. Considering the violent nature the supporters of certain political party,  is it possible to ensure a violence free elections and post election harmony  without involving the Military at all? 

4. Does the airlift and logistics support provided to INEC by the Nigerian Air force constitute a Violation of the constitution?

We are all stakeholders in the Nigerian Project. So let's provide answers to these questions and discuss these issues and by the Grace of God the 2015 general elections will be Violence Free 

I welcome us all and

God Bless Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by ijobaooorun(m): 9:20am On Feb 19, 2015
A cow I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ hurry to go to America will cum back as a corned beef

**sitting lyk a king A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ watchin**

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by jesse8048(m): 9:26am On Feb 19, 2015
Police and civil defense without gun versus thugs with gun and weapons. If I dnt see military men around am nt going anywhere close to cast any vote. Guess some people are trying to hijack ballot boxes.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by amazingqueen(f): 9:42am On Feb 19, 2015
I don't know APCs problem but no way police can ensure security with how volatile everywhere is now with violent thugs everywhere. D presence of soldiers gives me a sense of security to vote. I guess they will scare people that have ulterior motives. #nosecuritynovote.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by blutuut: 11:44am On Feb 19, 2015
To me it's an emphatic YES! Soldiers are greatly needed more than ever before in this election period.

45 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by omoharry(f): 11:54am On Feb 19, 2015
No soldier to secure by life..... hmmmm.. then no voting for any politician. I cannot risk my life at the hand of some political thugs and politicians' that wont give a dime if a thousand Nigerians are killed in post election. MY ANSWER IS YES. THERE SHOULD BE MILITARY SECURITY TO PROTECT THE ELECTORATE.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Topeakintola: 11:55am On Feb 19, 2015
no

stupid question. This is a democracy

4 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by ochejoseph(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2015
Topeakintola:
no
any reasons for your NO answer

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by jorlons(m): 1:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
As a Honourable member of Nairaland house of parliament representing APC zones.

I've to say this decision ordinarily should be NO. As the primary functions of the NA does not include providing internal security during elections. Also recent involvements of the NA in partisan politics brings much fears to the heart of opposition parties as to how the army will conduct themselves @ each polling unit during the election.

At the same time the Police and other civil defence agencies are almost useless to the Nigerian society which leaves us with no other choice.

In light of these challenges, the assistance of the NA is required to fortify the security of the electorates. Afterall the Life of Nigerians is more important.

However, the number of military personnel deployed should be far lesser compared to other security agencies. The DHQ should be smart enough not to weaken our defence against BokoHaram.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Kolade354(m): 2:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
A Resounding NO- If we are not ripe for democracy then the millitary should take over..............Federal govt is just using those securrity operative to harass opposition party,This happened in my state osun-state and its bound to happen in this general election.

16 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Rawani: 2:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
[size=18pt]NO![/size]

This is the reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqE7TX2Nhc

Additionally, If President Jonathan had not politicised the army, we wouldn't have any reservations. However in a situation where the army claims it is too busy fighting BH to protect citizens, and then the next morning we hear they are camped in front of opposition member's houses, then this shows favouritism which rubbishes the credibility of the elections even before the first vote is cast.

Allow the military concentrate on its constitutional duties instead, we need to crush the insurgents.

33 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Demdem(m): 2:09pm On Feb 19, 2015
ochejoseph:

1.Can the civil defence and  police which the APC is proposing ensure safety of lives and property during elections in places like   in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa , Bauchi, Gombe and Kano ?

Borno, Yobe and Adamawa are still under emergency i guess so the military have every right to be there. its a question of the law. what does the law say as regards security during elections and not what we think its appropriate. Both the high court and appeal court has ascertain this. Military men shouldnt be found anywhere during elections but if needed after elections when the police are overwhelmed they can be considered. They should be our last resort.
No one brings his last resort at the beginning of a project
Yes, the police alone is more than capable if well equipped and given the necessary and right materials to work with. Is it not the same police that goes outside our shores to perform wonders?

2. Does the presence of soldiers patrolling the street during elections  scare voters  or assures voters of their safety? 

Instead ur question should be does the presence of a well equipped battle ready police force a serious deterrent to trouble makers? I have no doubt in my mind that it is. Voters should be free to express themselves

3. Considering the violent nature the supporters of certain political party,  is it possible to ensure a violence free elections and post election harmony  without involving the Military at all? 

What do u mean by certain political party? Dont be silly, its a Nigerian problem that cuts across all parties.
Yes, it is possible to ensure violence free elections and post election harmony without the military. it has been done before safely without them and it can be done again.

4. Does the airlift and logistics support provided to INEC by the Nigerian Air force constitute a Violation of the constitution?

No it does not. Like u stated, its mainly logistical support as long as they have no business in security during votes. Let me emphasize here that its security during votes and not after votes.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by CyberWolf: 2:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
Rawani:
[size=18pt]NO![/size]

This is the reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqE7TX2Nhc

Additionally, If President Jonathan had not politicised the army, we wouldn't have any reservations. However in a situation where the army claims it is too busy fighting BH to protect citizens, and then the next morning we hear they are camped in front of opposition member's houses, then this shows favouritism which rubbishes the credibility of the elections even before the first vote is cast.

Allow the military concentrate on its constitutional duties instead, we need to crush the insurgents.
you are not even in Nigeria and you are shouting no angry

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by CyberWolf: 2:16pm On Feb 19, 2015
No army, no vote angry

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by queensmith: 2:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
Absolutely not. The constitution doesn't even allow it. Their focus should be problem areas. Which ideally should be excluded. If we're using the military to police what will we use the police for? Besides they have more important things to worry about.

Police and anti riot teams are more than enough. The police should also ideally have choppers for monitoring.

8 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Rawani: 2:24pm On Feb 19, 2015
CyberWolf:
you are not even in Nigeria and you are shouting no angry

Even Al-Qaeda wants Jonathan kicked out. If you will suspend the government every time I come in, I'll gladly refrain.

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by CyberWolf: 2:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
Rawani:

Even Al-Qaeda wants Jonathan kicked out. If you will suspend the government every time I come in, I'll gladly refrain.
that means you and alqaeda wants the same thing, that means you are a terrorist....

30 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Omexonomy: 2:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
Yes no military no election unless APC will promise not to go violent steal kill terrorise and destroy people property which is their stock in trade.
Rawani:

you can see the position of the fundamentalist muslim positing that gej is a pain in the ars.e of terrorist like alqaeda and BH.
CyberWolf:
that means you Rawani and alqaeda wants the same thing, that means you are a terrorist....
very sad but true

13 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by tomakint: 2:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
I totally concur that soldiers must be drafted to maintain law and order! Those APC guys are set of nutcases........yes we need SOLDIERS!

17 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Rawani: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2015
CyberWolf:
that means you and alqaeda wants the same thing, that means you are a terrorist....
Omexonomy:
Yes no military no election unless APC will promise not to go violent steal kill terrorise and destroy people property which is their stock in trade.

you can see the position of the fundamentalist muslim positing that gej is a pain in the ars.e of terrorist like alqaeda and BH.very sad but true

That was funny grin, however if I'm a terrorist and worship the Lord of Hosts, then that makes you a terrorist as well.

Going by your logic, you and Jonathan want the same thing, which makes you an murderous incompetent dweeb (no harm intended, just logic).

2 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by caselessogbuagu: 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2015
We don't need soldiers, we can be civilian JTF and protect ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by asadike(f): 3:25pm On Feb 19, 2015
Yes o
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Anthony20: 3:34pm On Feb 19, 2015
If what we strive for is a society where things are done RIGHT. We can not be talking about SOLDIERS to police election. In Ghana, Niger and even Gunea and Cemeroon Soldiers were never invited for electoral purposes. Why Nigeria? The ruling party the PDP have perpetrated huge rape against INEC and the Nigeria populace. They have been using soldiers to rig elections. With the New Card readers soldiers will make little or no impact.
1. Ballot Snatching will be worthless
2. Attacking Poling centers to pick INEC staff will be worthless too
3. Writing FAKE result will make no IMPACT
So tell me what will the soldiers be there to do?
Scare Innocent voters?
I support APC call for No soldiers during election. Our fate has always being in our hands.
We provide
1. Water
2. Electricity
3. Security etc
For ourselves what make this different?
The military are constitutionally assigned to keep peace by defending our boarder in that they fave failed with BH issue so they should go there and fight BH and leave us alone. Nigeria is Great

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by chymystique(f): 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
caselessogbuagu:

You cant be serious with this kind of comment.. Am sure when those thugs unleash mayhem on voters that day you would be the first to run for your life.. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
ochejoseph:

Nairaland Parliament 

The All progressive congress has just written to Jega and President Jonathan about its opposition to the use of soldiers to maintain Law and order during elections citing the judgement of a Federal High court and another case on appeal!

The issues for determination amongst Nairaland parliamentarians and critical stake holders  today is as follows 

2. Does the presence of soldiers patrolling the street during elections  scare voters  or assures voters of their safety? 

We are all stakeholders in the Nigerian Project. So let's provide answers to these questions and discuss these issues and by the Grace of God the 2015 general elections will be Violence Free 

I welcome us all and

God Bless Nigeria 

From the ekiti tapes, soldiers do more than parade the streets.

4 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by nicklaus40: 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
For me I think to ensure security during the polls soldiers should be deployed but in case soldiers are too busy with 'security issues' in some part of the states I believe we av other law enforcement and para military organisations who can ensure the safety of lives and property during the polls such as the navy,police and DSS. It is not compulsory for the army to be used in case they are busy
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by IVORY2009(m): 3:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
jesse8048:
Police and civil defense without gun versus thugs with gun and weapons. If I dnt see military men around am nt going anywhere close to cast any vote. Guess some people are trying to hijack ballot boxes.

why are they scared? So no military no voting.

2 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by caselessogbuagu: 3:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
chymystique:

You cant be serious with this kind of comment.. Am sure when those thugs unleash mayhem on voters that day you would be the first to run for your life.. undecided
me run? You don't know me. *in 2pac's voice* No man alive ever witnessed the trouble I survive.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by IVORY2009(m): 3:54pm On Feb 19, 2015
caselessogbuagu:

When you see the boys frm the creek coming out, even the almighty soldiers can be so confused @ first, talkless of civilian JTF scarry cat!

2 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Dannyset(m): 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2015
Yes n No for me.
#Yes......From the look of things, if soldiers are not deployed, PDP would want to prove to us why dey want it by orchestrating violence among electorates. And we can't allow that for now. They can even use d opportunity to snatch that precious card reader. Lobatan! God forbid.
But the presence of soldiers away(not to far) from polling units across the states. We can hold the soldiers responsible if something like that happened unabated. U know Nigerians na.
#No......They are likely to act anoda version of #EkitiGate for us, which would be deadly. And their presence too is likely to scare people away from monitoring their votes(that's even if they will come out).
This is why I applaud the wisdom of Tambuwal when the Reps were debating the issue. But as for me now, am confused.

2 Likes

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by caselessogbuagu: 4:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
IVORY2009:

When you see the boys frm the creek coming out, even the almighty soldiers can be so confused @ first, talkless of civilian JTF scarry cat!
you have to be in maiduguri to know the kind of CJTF i'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by funsoul: 4:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
If d Nigerian police commands d respect they should from d populace this is would b a moot point. D recent light d Nigerian military has been portrayed makes me distrustful of their services during election. D president should obey d court judgement and deploy d military en mass in NE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Departs Nigeria For Equatorial Guinea (Photos) / Police Under Instruction To Protect Killer Fulani Herdsmen — Benue Monarch / Minimum Wage: We Are No Longer Sure Of Fg’s Commitment - TUC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.