Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,399 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Where Are Nigerians In Australia . - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (235582 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yogos: 7:19am On Jul 10, 2011
Hi. I Just moved to perth a week ago from Adelaide. I would love to meet any nigerian around and catch up.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by cool4life: 4:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ marcar, how u doing? Hmmm, guess u tot I wasnt coming 2 aussie cos I was silent, lol, please send me ur email, i got a buncha qnz to ask on ma trip, cool4life1@yahoo.com, Tnx
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Cruisez: 2:15am On Jul 12, 2011
@marcar. Hope you are doing great. I have some enquiries and i hoping you can be of assitance. My email address is cruisez.nairaland@gmail.com. If its not asking for too much may i have an email address i can reach you on? Thank you in anticipation.

For other Nigerains who are in Aussie and can be of help to a fellow Nigerian who wants to migrat to Aussie for MSc then PR kindly let me know how i can contact you on the email address above. I have researched on all the possible means (independent and state wise) of moving from student visa to PR/temporary (18 months) visa subclass and my head is almost blowing up with questions needing answers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Cruisez: 11:48pm On Jul 13, 2011
I get it; i ain't gonna get any response cos we all (every Nigerian) is a scammer in waiting.

Good luck to you all. I shall get what i seek.

Cheers.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by NEUROICON: 2:44pm On Aug 14, 2011
Please, any Nigerian in Canberra ACT? Just about moving in, and has a couple of questions:
Must I be on ground to rent a house, as most houses I saw on the net were asking that I come for inspection, before my application would be considered; some even say that I would collect the application form on the day of inspection. I don't have any body in ACT to collect the forms on my behalf.
How about Nigerian foods; when I visited Canberra few weeks ago, for my interview, I did not see or eat any Nigerian food, but my friend in Gold Coast had plenty, bought from Gold Coast; so, which store sells them in canberra?
How about cars? What is the price range?
Can non-permenent residents get mobile phone contracts, with any of the networks?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by dejia(m): 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2011
HI guys,

I got my Aussie visa today; am coming to visit for 10days, i will like to visit Perth and either Melbourne or Sydney.

Where are the 9ja joints?

Am based in S.A , am coming on a pleasure trip and also looking at exploring business opportunities,

guys, who can i export from Aussie? What can i import into Aussie?

I was told Ibos boyz are now getting car parts from aussie to 9ja.

anybody who can give me info on business opportunities to africa?

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by v123amy: 3:06am On Aug 27, 2011
Hi there,

I am new to nairaland. I am currently doing my masters in canberra. Firstly, I thought it would be of benefit to anyone who is coming to aussy to school to do their research well. Canberra is very boring, this is the reason why a lot of people haven't heard of it. Secondly, they are racist here. It's all in their attitude. FOR REAL. As long as you keep your head up you will be fine. Always remember where you are from. Racism in canberra is subtle. 

NEUROICON
My advice to you is to stay in a short term accommodation untill you find a place to stay. when will you be moving to canberra. I will send you places you can stay for a week.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 6:03am On Aug 27, 2011
^^ I live and work in Australia but believe me I have seen worse in other countries. I opened a thread last yr dec thanking God for what he did for me @ my work place. Amongst all them white people Australians and white foreigners, I was singled out  and recognized at my work place. My hubby got the email before me cos he is my next of kin. He told me about it and I did not believe him. We were in Nigeria then and when I decided to check my email after a week or so, I saw it for myself. These people(Aussies) were begging me to cut short my holiday and come back.

I remember being on a train in Germany with another friend of mine, minding our own business, when we heard one of the two German ladies sitting directly opposite us said to her friend in German ''I hate these blacks''. Sure she said it thinking we were  prosti/tu/es with no German language skills but just there to sleep around. I got very angry and I remembered replying them in German and mehn did they almost wee on themselves? I can pay a million dollars for the shocked expression on their faces. We threatened them with a law suit and these eediots were almost in tears, pleading and begging Like azzholes.

What i'm I saying? I have seen racism and believe me I find Australia better.

20 Likes

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by marcar(m): 7:00am On Aug 27, 2011
jennykadry:

^^ I live and work in Australia but believe me I have seen worse in other countries. I opened a thread last yr dec thanking God for what he did for me @ my work place. Amongst all them white people Australians and white foreigners, I was singled out  and recognized at my work place. My hubby got the email before me cos he is my next of kin. He told me about it and I did not believe him. We were in Nigeria then and when I decided to check my email after a week or so, I saw it for myself. These people(Aussies) were begging me to cut short my holiday and come back.

I remember being on a train in Germany with another friend of mine, minding our own business, when we heard one of the two German ladies sitting directly opposite us said to her friend in German ''I hate these blacks''. Sure she said it thinking we were  prosti/tu/es with no German language skills but just there to sleep around. I got very angry and I remembered replying them in German and mehn did they almost wee on themselves? I can pay a million dollars for the shocked expression on their faces. We threatened them with a law suit and these eediots were almost in tears, pleading and begging Like azzholes.

What i'm I saying? I have seen racism and believe me I find Australia better.

Nice One
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by NEUROICON: 10:17am On Aug 27, 2011
I was in Canberra for two weeks. I came home with my impression changed; before I left my base, I read a lot of comments and submissions on the net about Australia and racism, and prepared my mind for it.
I wanted to see by myself, that was one of the reasons I decided to appear in person, for the interview instead of using video conference; I wanted to "take Ben Johnson", if it is as severe as people paint it on the net. But what I received was opposite of what I expected. I was taken to different places by people that I never met in my life;
Racism is every where, I have gotten a little dose of it where I am now; I have noticed one thing, though, if you face your business, raise your head above your shoulders and good at your profession, even the worst racist would insult youwith reservations.
v123amy:

NEUROICON
My advice to you is to stay in a short term accommodation untill you find a place to stay. when will you be moving to canberra. I will send you places you can stay for a week.

I am arriving first week of October, just need a place I would stay for about 2 to 4wks, before getting the kind of accommodation that I want. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Bowie11(m): 8:34am On Aug 28, 2011
I have a friend who need NLs help.Can anybody in the house advise him as he intend to relocate with his family to Australia, work and have an establishment:
How will he go about getting the visa directly?
How much does accomodation rentage cost?
How is it easy to get job, residence permit, citizenship?
What will he need to setup a business?

@ Jennykad: your advise will be highly welcome. His wife loves your writeup.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by v123amy: 12:21pm On Aug 28, 2011
Hi NEUROICON

The name of the accommodation is KINGSTON HOTEL. 73 Canberra Avenue, Canberra. Australian Capital Territory 2604
contact number 0262950123. Rent is A$180 a week. I was told that you can stay there for more than a week. Alternatively you can follow the link below for short term accommodation. All the best.

http://www.canberra.edu.au/residences/off-campus/temporaryshort-term-accommodation
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by v123amy: 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
With regards to racism in Canberra whether or not other ppl have experienced worse elsewhere it doesn't change the fact that they are racist even if it is subtle. In actual fact if you've experienced extreme racism you will not be able to detect slight racist behaviours because you have experienced it on a much higher level. Also on my first day in Canberra i had someone show me around and all. Nevertheless those racist heads keep popping up. There are two ways to deal with it.  You either react to it or you refuse to acknowledge it.  I hope I haven't put anyone off from coming to Aussie. Aussie is a nice multicultural society. If you have nothing going for you after 3-4 years here. Please go home to niger before your juniors become your bosses. Do not waste your life.

THE STORY ABOUT THOSE GERMAN LADIES IS HILARIOUS. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING. NOW THAT IS A GOOD WAY TO REACT.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Gnexplore: 8:57am On Aug 29, 2011
All posters here are doing marvelous work , is not easy sitting down and contributing to this thread

Kudos to the originator

keep it up , and keep it coming!!!

If we are to move 9ja forward, we need both local and foreign knowledge and resources.

Now i understand why Chinese are everywhere gathering, copying, photographing anything they think will help move China forward.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Gnexplore: 9:01am On Aug 29, 2011
@ jennykadry

Hilarious that Germany Train story! You did well!

Meanwhile, just wish to know how did you move from Germany to Aus? , Which category of visa did you use?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 29, 2011
v123amy:

With regards to racism in Canberra whether or not other ppl have experienced worse elsewhere it doesn't change the fact that they are racist even if it is subtle.

Show me a country where racism isn't practiced?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Gnexplore: 10:29am On Aug 29, 2011
@ jennykadry

just wish to know how did you move from Germany to Aus? , Which category of visa did you use?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 29, 2011
Why do you wanno know?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by v123amy: 11:34am On Aug 29, 2011
Jennykadry asked 'Show me a country where racism isn't practiced? '

Racism has become the norm of society everywhere. it doesn't make it right. One would think that in this day and age people would be more enlightened. Now let me enlighten you. I lived in the UK for 7 years and i can tell you that it is on a higher level in canberra. If you have to attend lectures, go to work and mix with the people in the community everday, you will understand where i am coming from. it can not be ignored . Besides you do not live in canberra so you are not an authority for racism in canberra.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by t4top2010: 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2011
Hi Marcar,

t4top here. We are arriving in Perth 1st of January. My wife start work in January. We are renting a furnished house in Secret Harbour for a month till we sort out permanent rental. I will pm you later as my e-mail address has changed.
Nice article JennyKandry. There is racism everywhere even in England and USA. It is due to ignorance but as Australians get to see more and more black people they will get used to them and gradually their attitude will change. What they need is education. The first white people that settled in Australia were British criminals (POMS). Just like America everybody in Australia is an immigrant and people should remember that.

Jennykandry, what field do you work in? Do you by any chance work in the Health industry? My wife is a Nurse and would like to meet fellow Nigerians in Perth when we get there in January. I myself studied Economics and then Mathematics so I work in the education industry in the UK.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers!
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by marcar(m): 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2011
t4top2010:

Hi Marcar,

t4top here. We are arriving in Perth 1st of January. My wife start work in January. We are renting a furnished house in Secret Harbour for a month till we sort out permanent rental. I will pm you later as my e-mail address has changed.
Nice article JennyKandry. There is racism everywhere even in England and USA. It is due to ignorance but as Australians get to see more and more black people they will get used to them and gradually their attitude will change. What they need is education. The first white people that settled in Australia were British criminals (POMS). Just like America everybody in Australia is an immigrant and people should remember that.

Jennykandry, what field do you work in? Do you by any chance work in the Health industry? My wife is a Nurse and would like to meet fellow Nigerians in Perth when we get there in January. I myself studied Economics and then Mathematics so I work in the education industry in the UK.

Cheers!

That is cool!!! hope to see you soon in Perth
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2011
v123amy:

Jennykadry asked 'Show me a country where racism isn't practiced? '

Racism has become the norm of society everywhere. it doesn't make it right. One would think that in this day and age people would be more enlightened. Now let me enlighten you. I lived in the UK for 7 years and i can tell you that it is on a higher level in canberra. If you have to attend lectures, go to work and mix with the people in the community everday, you will understand where i am coming from. it can not be ignored .[b] Besides you do not live in canberra [/b]so you are not an authority for racism in canberra.

What makes you think I haven't lived in Canberra? . Ok racism is in Canberra please do us a favour and go back home. Whingeing will take you nowhere. undecided
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 29, 2011
t4top2010:

Hi Marcar,

Cheers!

Whereabouts will your wife be working? Royalperth? freemantle? princess margaret? kalamunda? st john of God? e.t.c
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by chinweub: 6:42pm On Aug 29, 2011
jennykadry:

Why do you wanno know?

@ jennykadry
am also interested in that question, thinking of relocating,
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by NEUROICON: 9:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
@V123amy, thanks very much, I would check them out. Hope you are doing well. When I visited Canberra, I saw one Nigerian, and he told me that there were many of them, there; he invited me for a party Nigerians were having at ANU, the same evening. So, I believe that when you start seeing a lot of them, your lonliness would go; meanwhile, when I arrive Canberra, I would let you know, so that we can see.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by t4top2010: 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
@jennykadry

Fremantle Hospital - ICU
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by v123amy: 8:23am On Aug 30, 2011
If anyone with a some level of intelligence has been reading my post they will understand that i am not complaining. I am simply informing the Nigerians in Aussie and the ones that are yet to come about the reality of living and working here. Is there a way i can fully touch on this topic without mentioning it. I had very realistic expections when i came here. I was aware of these issues. Like i said earlier remember where you come from a hold your head. THERE IS ONLY ONE RACE ON THIS PLANET and that is THE HUMAN RACE.  When i got here an Australian told me that there has been complaints about racist behaviours. Also i said that if you are not doing well after 3-4 years honestly speaking, go back to Nigeria because a lot of people waste  their lives abroad deceiving themselves that they are better off. When in actual fact the average Nigerians earning Millions of naira. It only takes time and the right connections in Nigeria. Once you make it you are made.

Jennykandry. WHICH CABERRA DID YOU LIVE IN. ALL THE BEST. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by chigsmith: 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2011
@v123amy ad @neuricon hav read your notes about canberra. Thats true especialy about racism, diffilulty in getting accmdtion ad high cost of things.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by londoner: 4:38am On Sep 07, 2011
Freshie!!!!! Now in Oz, woooooo hoooooo!
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yogun(f): 11:53am On Sep 07, 2011
Hi All,

I'm actually kinda doing a research for my lil sis who is thinking of relocating to Australia. she lives in Nigeria at the moment and i wld appreciate any advice on the steps she can take towards achieving this dream.

Thanks y'all
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by travelcare: 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2011
Here is the best thread ever on Nairaland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by jerryben12: 10:17pm On Sep 08, 2011
Are there Nigerians in Melbourne, VIC on NLand? I am looking for a Nigerian restaurant in Melbourne. Any? I visit atleast once a year on business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Nigerians At Ukraine / Anyone Studying In Belgium? / Turkey Visa Application Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.