Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,099 members, 7,807,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Where Are Nigerians In Australia . - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (235550 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mamajaz(f): 12:37am On May 16, 2017
WellEndowed:

How many years experience do you have as a nurse. If it is over 5 years, please consider Masters in Nursing (Nurse practitioner). You will get paid loads after graduation. It is insane
I graduated in 2009 and have been practicing non stop since 2005.
Please, which schools will you recommend? Must move with hussy oh, who's also a nurse, and two kids.
What's my projected POF?
Thanks a lot for your response.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 12:55am On May 16, 2017
lakola:
For someone like me that has gotten a masters offer in animal science in a regional area (Wagga Wagga). I also have background in the same
Course and just nysc and Industrial training experience in the said field. Do I stand a chance
Of getting a job in the regional area where my
School is located??
Cc wellendowed and other gurus knowledgeable
Of the agriculture field in Australia

To be honest I do not know much about agriculture but I don't think you will grow there (Please I stand to be corrected). You see, some of these occupations are on the skilled list but truthfully they are difficult to get into. I remember asking you what you did in your first degree. The fact that it is on the list does not mean there is abundance of jobs in that field. Do you know that Law is a struggle? Many people that studied law in Perth have all started studying one health care course or the other

Biomedical science for instance I think is on the list but guess what. I know 4 people who studied that course in Perth and are back in Nigeria because of no job. You want to grow in such field look at the US. I did a course some years back through Edith Cowan University in Perth and one girl in my class who did her masters in biomedical science told me that she had to change career because she couldn't find a job. She is Australian. But the course is on the skilled list.

I try to back up my point with stories from people I have met along the way

Now I am interested to know if your experience in your field (nysc) was for 12 months? if yes, why not consider coming here as a skilled worker? when you get here and see growth in your field then you can go ahead and study or just work but that way you are not spending too much money for ? nothing at the end. It is cheaper that way and you come in as a PR. You can still study. This is Bellong's area of expertise.

cc bellong

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 12:56am On May 16, 2017
mamajaz:

I graduated in 2009 and have been practicing non stop since 2005.
Please, which schools will you recommend? Must move with hussy oh, who's also a nurse, and two kids.
What's my projected POF?
Thanks a lot for your response.

How come you've been practising since 2005? were you hospital trained?

You'd need a lot of money. As long as you are on a student visa, your children will pay for fees as international students.

This link will tell you how much you need for POF https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-#tab-content-1

Also if find a school that does streamline visa, I don't think you need POF.

If your husband is a nurse, why can't he be the principal applicant then since your school/workplace have refused to provide you with docs that you need?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by lakola: 3:14am On May 16, 2017
WellEndowed:

I really appreciate your reply, yes the experience was for 12 months. I would consider all you've said. Thank you very much

To be honest I do not know much about agriculture but I don't think you will grow there (Please I stand to be corrected). You see, some of these occupations are on the skilled list but truthfully they are difficult to get into. I remember asking you what you did in your first degree. The fact that it is on the list does not mean there is abundance of jobs in that field. Do you know that Law is a struggle? Many people that studied law in Perth have all started studying one health care course or the other

Biomedical science for instance I think is on the list but guess what. I know 4 people who studied that course in Perth and are back in Nigeria because of no job. You want to grow in such field look at the US. I did a course some years back through Edith Cowan University in Perth and one girl in my class who did her masters in biomedical science told me that she had to change career because she couldn't find a job. She is an Australian. But the course is on the skilled list.

I try to back up my point with stories from people I have met along the way

Now I am interested to know if your experience in your field (nysc) was for 12 months? if yes, why not consider coming here as a skilled worker? when you get here and see growth in your field then you can go ahead and study or just work but that way you are not spending too much money for ? nothing at the end. It is cheaper that way and you come in as a PR. You can still study. This is Bellong's area of expertise.

cc bellong
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mamajaz(f): 6:16am On May 16, 2017
WellEndowed:

How come you've been practising since 2005? were you hospital trained?

You'd need a lot of money. As long as you are on a student visa, your children will pay for fees as international students.

This link will tell you how much you need for POF https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-#tab-content-1

Also if find a school that does streamline visa, I don't think you need POF.

If your husband is a nurse, why can't he be the principal applicant then since your school/workplace have refused to provide you with docs that you need?
Brother WellEndowed, you sabi ask questions ohhhh, now that we can't private chat, make I show you my yansh here small. I went to school of nursing 2000 to 2003, midwifery 2004 to 2005 then proceeded to University of Ibadan in June 2005 for BNSc ( full time), I was running mad night duty through those for years since my sponsors were tired( were even asking me to stop schooling).
Now to my "the king of my kingdom oh" he has yet to do BNSc, ( registered nurse/ RPN) niwon. No be because him dey lazy oh, buh you know when just struggled to go to school amidst all your sibs, to move up with ease becomes an arduous task.
Thanks so much for enlightening me.
Please that streamline visa stuff, help me look into it. Our kids are two, one will be 3 in June, the other will be 1 in July, I doubt if they will need to pay school fees nah....
Once again thanks for your help.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Jegz1: 10:07am On May 16, 2017
Good morning house, please I'd like to know if anyone is also having delay in his/her student visa.
I lodged my application 15th April and got mail requesting for additional information 26th April, having submitted the information same day and clicking the button made available on the immi site, I'm yet to receive feedback as regards my application so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to send a notification mail informing them I've submitted the requested document or it is a general delay in issuing grants. Thanks in anticipation of useful information.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:12am On May 16, 2017
mamajaz:

Brother WellEndowed, you sabi ask questions ohhhh, now that we can't private chat, make I show you my yansh here small. I went to school of nursing 2000 to 2003, midwifery 2004 to 2005 then proceeded to University of Ibadan in June 2005 for BNSc ( full time), I was running mad night duty through those for years since my sponsors were tired( were even asking me to stop schooling).
Now to my "the king of my kingdom oh" he has yet to do BNSc, ( registered nurse/ RPN) niwon. No be because him dey lazy oh, buh you know when just struggled to go to school amidst all your sibs, to move up with ease becomes an arduous task.
Thanks so much for enlightening me.
Please that streamline visa stuff, help me look into it. Our kids are two, one will be 3 in June, the other will be 1 in July, I doubt if they will need to pay school fees nah....
Once again thanks for your help.

Nigerian nursing school is doing my head in. Which one is school of nursing and then BNSc again. I am not understanding cheesy
M
As for school I don't help people look for school. You go need to look into that yourself . My own na to discuss living in Australia cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Teea2009: 12:02pm On May 16, 2017
[quote author=lakola post=56560623][/quote]

@wellendowed please I need your advice on a PR/career path as I just recently moved down to Australia.

Brief background
Me: BSc Mechanical Eng. and MSc Oil & Gas Eng. I moved down to Melbourne 7month ago on the temp. graduate Visa 476. No experience.
My wife: BSc Psychology and MSc Social work. A year experience in social work. (All uk qualifications)

I have been struggling to get a graduate job ere in Melbourne or even considered. my inexperience is the defining factor here but thought my side qualifications will give me a fighting chance. So the option of sponsorship is not looking good at all. Processing my pr through the Skilled 189

My wife and son re joining me in the next 3month so looking at relocating before they get ere to save cost. Just want to position myself in a region that I can make good money even if it's a trade job.

My questions are:
1smiley Do you think I have a better opportunity in Western Australia compared to Victoria ?
2smiley with my lack of experience in what I studied, what will you advice base on your OZ knowledge in getting a foot into the mining/oil&gas industry?
3smileyShould I just settle with my current job (CNC operator)/region until I obtain the PR and follow through with a professional year program?

Will be happy to hear your opinion sir and thank you for your time
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by anyifentysneh: 12:27pm On May 16, 2017
@ well endowed I really appreciate your good work on this thread taken it upon yourself to help out with your experience. I am actually a student in brisbane studying in a college, my questions goes this way I am studying a graduate diploma course packaged for 2 yrs but along the line I spoke with my school and they help change in my coe part of course to a cert 3 in airconditioner and refigeration mechanic. They also promise job placement for a year after the course. please I just want to know if am violating the immigration laws or my chances of using that course in getting pr might just not work. thanks
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by signeddocuments: 1:57pm On May 16, 2017
Please, is it possible to get a teaching job in Canada or Australian with a Nigerian teaching( Bed) certificates + MBA especially in their primary schools? I heard that they pay very well.Can someone get an employer there to sponsor the migration to these countries? I am really fed up;teaching in Nigeria and collecting peanuts.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mctowel01: 3:15pm On May 16, 2017
signeddocuments:
Please, is it possible to get a teaching job in Canada or Australian with a Nigerian teaching( Bed) certificates + MBA especially in their primary schools? I heard that they pay very well.Can someone get an employer there to sponsor the migration to these countries? I am really fed up;teaching in Nigeria and collecting peanuts.
Take your time to follow through this link.
https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident#44772680
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by hordunayodt: 6:53pm On May 16, 2017
pls is there anybody staying in melbourne or any part of victoria here?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by ideamaster(m): 9:37pm On May 16, 2017
OlalekanKad:

But if you're looking for where to settled in immediately as an engineering student and get a reasonable paying job, you better think of Melbourne and Sydney as you first choice. Engineering students in WA are sometimes forced to go in health professions so as to get jobs because staying at home will not pay bills.

In my opinion, health care jobs are always more regardless of the state in Australia. And then, because of their 24.7 roster and ability to squeeze in so many shifts, they would definitely earn more than entry level engineers. Sydney may favour civil, environmental and some other engineering professions. But Mining, Petroleum would prefer regional WA.

My little research shows there are also opportunities for engineers in regional Nsw, regional Qld and NT.

And then, engineers generally who work FIFO or DIDO would probably make more money in the mines than the city engineers.

Most students work in health care - aged care or disability when they come in to study. In a way, they get 'trapped' because they make so much money and they have solid 2 years experience at the end of their studies. So even as PR, it's easier for them to get health related jobs than to bother applying for engineering jobs. And you talked about the bills too. Some just accept it as their fate and go back to study nursing.

So sometimes, it could be choice, the easiest way out or as was said before, some don't want to relocate to regional areas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 16, 2017
Teea2009:

@wellendowed please I need your advice on a PR/career path as I just recently moved down to Australia.

Brief background
Me: BSc Mechanical Eng. and MSc Oil & Gas Eng. I moved down to Melbourne 7month ago on the temp. graduate Visa 476. No experience.
My wife: BSc Psychology and MSc Social work. A year experience in social work. (All uk qualifications)

I have been struggling to get a graduate job ere in Melbourne or even considered. my inexperience is the defining factor here but thought my side qualifications will give me a fighting chance. So the option of sponsorship is not looking good at all. Processing my pr through the Skilled 189

My wife and son re joining me in the next 3month so looking at relocating before they get ere to save cost. Just want to position myself in a region that I can make good money even if it's a trade job.

My questions are:
1smiley Do you think I have a better opportunity in Western Australia compared to Victoria ?
2smiley with my lack of experience in what I studied, what will you advice base on your OZ knowledge in getting a foot into the mining/oil&gas industry?
3smileyShould I just settle with my current job (CNC operator)/region until I obtain the PR and follow through with a professional year program?

Will be happy to hear your opinion sir and thank you for your time

1.Did you study in Australia?

2. You said you moved to Melbourne 7 months ago, From where?

3. Since your wife had one year experience in social work, why didn't yous apply for skilled migration with her being the principal applicant?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by smoothvee(m): 11:04pm On May 16, 2017
Anyone got an idea how the Australian diploma works?? Since the masters is costly. Someone once suggested it for me sometime ago. Please any valid pointer?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 16, 2017
anyifentysneh:
@ well endowed I really appreciate your good work on this thread taken it upon yourself to help out with your experience. I am actually a student in brisbane studying in a college, my questions goes this way I am studying a graduate diploma course packaged for 2 yrs but along the line I spoke with my school and they help change in my coe part of course to a cert 3 in airconditioner and refigeration mechanic. They also promise job placement for a year after the course. please I just want to know if am violating the immigration laws or my chances of using that course in getting pr might just not work. thanks

Ok let me understand you...you were studying a diploma course but then changed to a Cert 3 course? is that right? if I am right, don't you need to apply for a new visa?

Read the link below
http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Changing-courses
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 16, 2017
smoothvee:
Anyone got an idea how the Australian diploma works?? Since the masters is costly. Someone once suggested it for me sometime ago. Please any valid pointer?

Some people come in through the Diploma route. Just get a 2 years diploma course
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by smoothvee(m): 11:31pm On May 16, 2017
WellEndowed:

Some people come in through the Diploma route. Just get a 2 years diploma course

That's really nice... thanks dear. You have any idea the costs? Atleast the nearest minimal. If you don't it's cool buh I would really love to hear any rough estimate. Thanks much
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 16, 2017
smoothvee:

That's really nice... thanks dear. You have any idea the costs? Atleast the nearest minimal. If you don't it's cool buh I would really love to hear any rough estimate. Thanks much

It all depends on the course you are going for. Diff course diff cost

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mamajaz(f): 12:48am On May 17, 2017
WellEndowed, well done oh.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by anyifentysneh: 2:38am On May 17, 2017
WellEndowed:

Ok let me understand you...you were studying a diploma course but then changed to a Cert 3 course? is that right? if I am right, don't you need to apply for a new visa?

Read the link below
http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Changing-courses
I would still complete my graduate diploma course but a certificate 3 course in airconditioner and refigeration mechanic as been attached to it. this would make me get 2 qualifications upon graduation. now my question is
1. what are the requirements for tradesman applying for pr in Australia
2.what are the prospect of an air con mechanic in cities like perth or sydney.
3. do I stick to a trade course or I just move on.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:15am On May 17, 2017
anyifentysneh:
I would still complete my graduate diploma course but a certificate 3 course in airconditioner and refigeration mechanic as been attached to it. this would make me get 2 qualifications upon graduation. now my question is
1. what are the requirements for tradesman applying for pr in Australia
2.what are the prospect of an air con mechanic in cities like perth or sydney.
3. do I stick to a trade course or I just move on.

Sorry I have zero knowledge about trades persons cry
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:15am On May 17, 2017
mamajaz:
WellEndowed, well done oh.

kiss
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by neny2k2: 5:00am On May 17, 2017
@ WellEndowed, you have been so helpful and resourceful. God bless you. I have just applied for IT Networking at Canberra Institue, although my first degree was in Languages and masters in international relations all in Nigerian Universities. Work experience is 6years customer service. I am switching career just so as to fit in PR after studies. The course is between 1.5/2years. Please what do you think of Canberra? Is it a regional area? possibility of job, growth and opportunity? I plan to travel with spouse and 3kids. Please advice. Regards.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 5:12am On May 17, 2017
neny2k2:
@ WellEndowed, you have been so helpful and resourceful. God bless you. I have just applied for IT Networking at Canberra Institue, although my first degree was in Languages and masters in international relations all in Nigerian Universities. Work experience is 6years customer service. I am switching career just so as to fit in PR after studies. The course is between 1.5/2years. Please what do you think of Canberra? Is it a regional area? possibility of job, growth and opportunity? I plan to travel with spouse and 3kids. Please advice. Regards.

Have you checked that the work you do now is not on the skilled list?

Canberra is a city
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 5:22am On May 17, 2017
For those interested..... Please follow the link and type in the area you are moving to. It will show/tell you if it is regional/remote/city. The link's highly recommended by the Australian Government

http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/locator
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by neny2k2: 5:46am On May 17, 2017
my job experience is on the combined list and limited to either subclass 190 or 489.
WellEndowed:

Have you checked that the work you do now is not on the skilled list?

Canberra is a city
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Shadowy: 8:06am On May 17, 2017
Please i have a question. Is veterinary medicine lucrative in australia? Or Is it more lucrative in canada?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by bellong: 8:34am On May 17, 2017
Shadowy:
Please i have a question. Is veterinary medicine lucrative in australia? Or Is it more lucrative in canada?

Very very very lucrative in Australia. I don't know of Canada, so I can't compare.

Meanwhile, you need to be registered with AHPRA before you can practise.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Shadowy: 8:37am On May 17, 2017
bellong:

Very very very lucrative in Australia. I don't know of Canada, so I can't compare.

Meanwhile, you need to be registered with AHPRA before you can practise.
alright. Thanks for the reply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (41) (Reply)

Nigerians At Ukraine / Anyone Studying In Belgium? / Turkey Visa Application Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.