Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? (25583 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks / The New Method Of Depositing Cash In Banks / Customers Queue For Bank Verification Number (BVN) In Dutse (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by SuperModerator: 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
Srallens:
. Can u pls throw more light on dat? For i v accounts in two banks, bt I've only done d verification in one of the bank.............. Is it still necessary doing it again in d 2nd bank?
give the other bank your BVN code.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 20, 2015
I am glad I did mine then sha. Just need to tell/update Zenith Bank. Go to naija for BVN? After turning exchange rate to 320 undecided
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by ummitoagirl(f): 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
Thank God for nairaland, I never heard of this BVN oh. Tell me, do I have to come to naija before June/July? Or can I do it anytime I visit? Which offcourse maybe 2016.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by oseiwe(m): 12:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
Pavore9:
I do not know what to say! Though UBA, Ecobank and GTbank have offices here in Nairobi but l bank with Fidelity angry
i dont think so, cos i couldnt use my uba account at their uk office. i dont think it will affect them
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Xavier9ja(m): 12:58pm On Feb 20, 2015
generalissimo:
The following are the requirements for the BVN are: (1) one he goat
(2) 4 pieces of kolanut
(3) a keg of palm oil
(4) 3 bottles of schnapp
carry all the items listed there with one passport cheesy
u wicked die...lol. na ritual I wan go do

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by JackDaniels1: 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
My people,this is policy somersaulting we always talk about in Nigeria.
It is in the exclusive list that Citizens' Biometrics should only be kept by NIMC(National Identity Management Commission)
This BVN thing is just there to bring in more issues to the financial populace.
As for me,i will not do the BVN of a thing,they should use my NIN(National Identification Number) from NIMC for any of the intended purpose.
see www.nimc.gov.ng

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by maum: 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2015
macuwon:
i use 5banks.. do i need to go and do it in all of them

No. Once you enrol in one of them, you get your BVN. You then take the number to the other banks you have accounts with, and it'd be updated on your profile
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by adconline(m): 1:52pm On Feb 20, 2015
moshoodn:
CBN and the banks will find away around it.

Most of these banks have foreign business offices anyway. These may be employed for data capturing.

Even besides that, they also have foreign bankers too ie Union bank foreign banker in the States is Citi Bank; so Citi may capture for union and send it over.

All these are speculations, though with a high degree of probability.
CitiBank is corresponding bank to most banks in Naija, but it doesn't mean that they are partners.. Don't go to any CitiBank cod you will be embarrassed to know that they don't know jack about Union Bank.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by 702: 2:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
@OP

Bank customers living abroad would have to come back to Nigeria to enroll.

I believe there will be an extension of the deadline.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by 702: 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
ummitoagirl:
Thank God for nairaland, I never heard of this BVN oh. Tell me, do I have to come to naija before June/July? Or can I do it anytime I visit? Which offcourse maybe 2016.

Yes you would have to come before then. But i believe the deadline will be extended.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by LuckyLadolce(m): 3:08pm On Feb 20, 2015
Pavore9:
I do not know what to say! Though UBA, Ecobank and GTbank have offices here in Nairobi but l bank with Fidelity angry
it's not necessarily u enroll in ur bank, u can as well go to any bank branch near to u to enroll. Educate others around u too abt it. I work in a bank. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by switch47(m): 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
it's not necessarily u enroll in ur bank, u can as well go to any bank branch near to u to enroll. Educate others around u too abt it. I work in a bank. Thanks.
The Point is the requirement of Nigerians living abroad to have to come down to Nigeria to get a BVN, mind you after 25th of June according to CBN you will not be able to operate your account (Bank) without having one
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by 702: 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
LuckyLadolce:

You can not go to any bank branch to enroll. You must either be an existing account holder and go to that bank or be ready to open an account with another bank closer to you.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by LuckyLadolce(m): 3:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
switch47:
The Point is the requirement of Nigerians living abroad to have to come down to Nigeria to get a BVN, mind you after 25th of June according to CBN you will not be able to operate your account (Bank) without having one
if there's any branch of any of the nigeria banks around u there in abroad, u can walk in there to enroll for ur bvn irrespective of the bank u operate with. Except if they have not commenced the enrolment overthere.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by bedfordng(m): 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
nigerian things get as ebi
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by LuckyLadolce(m): 3:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
702:

You can not go to any bank branch to enroll. You must either be an existing account holder and go to that bank or be ready to open an account with another bank closer to you.
oga 702, u don't argue blindly and always endeavour to find out the facts about things if u must contribute or counter other ppl's contributions. This is what I do for any walk-in customers on a daily basis irrespective of the bank they operate. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Akainzo(m): 4:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
switch47:
How would Bank customers Living outside Nigeria Enrol and get the Bank Verification number as mandated by the CETRAL BANK OF NIGERIA without which no one can transact business as a customer in any BANK in Nigeria from 25th of June 2015?
Answer: Bank customers living outside Nigeria would have to come back to the country to
enroll.

i think this is wrong, why should one have to travel all the way from United Kingdom, United state and other countries just to come and obtain BVN in Nigeria, is there no way the CBN can make it possible for Nigerians abroad to do this without having to travel all the way down bearing in mind that there is a short period of time before the DEADLINE??
http://www.akinov..com/2015/02/bank-verification-number-for-nigerians.html

As you may already be aware, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in conjunction with the Bankers Committee has launched the Biometric Identification Project to provide a single biometric database for all banks’ customers nationwide. Part of the requirements within this initiative is that customers enroll with their banks to get their unique Bank Verification Numbers (BVN), without which customers will not be able to transact in any bank after the deadline JUNE 25 2015.

For more on the BANK VERIFICATION NUMBER Check
http://www.akinov.com/2015/02/all-you-need-to-know-about-bank.html

Why do Nigerians living outside the country always feel laws on Nigeria should be changed for them? The law is made to be complied with and if you want a BVN, please make yourself available in any of the Nigerian banks in Nigeria. The CBN office is not in UK or US.

By the way, I haven't seen LLoyds Bank or BoA providing means for us in Nigeria to do a verification mandated by UK or US laws. Please, let us respect our country.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by 702: 4:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
oga 702, u don't argue blindly and always endeavour to find out the facts about things if u must contribute or counter other ppl's contributions. This is what I do for any walk-in customers on a daily basis irrespective of the bank they operate. Thanks.

U seem not to understand me. If one has an account with a bank, he/she has to go to any branch of that bank. If he does not have any bank account in nigeria, he has to open an account before he/she enrolls. If he has multiple accounts in Nigeria, he can go to any of the banks he opened account with to enroll.
The term walk in customers are customers that do not have account in the bank they walked into and intend to open. You can not have an account with Zenith Bank and go to GTB where you don't have an account to enroll.

I hope this satisfies your enquiry.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by LuckyLadolce(m): 4:46pm On Feb 20, 2015
702:

U seem not to understand me. If one has an account with a bank, he/she has to go to any branch of that bank. If he does not have any bank account in nigeria, he has to open an account before he/she enrolls. If he has multiple accounts in Nigeria, he can go to any of the banks he opened account with to enroll.
The term walk in customers are customers that do not have account in the bank they walked into and intend to open. You can not have an account with Zenith Bank and go to GTB where you don't have an account to enroll.

I hope this satisfies your enquiry.
MY BROTHER, IF U HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH ZANITH BANK AND U HAVE NOT ENROLLED, COME TO MY BANK (NOT ZENITH) I WILL ENROLL YOU. WALK-IN CUSTOMERS (THOSE WHO DOES NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THE BANK) CAN STILL ENROLL IN THAT BANK PROVIDED THEY HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT WITH ANY NIGERIA BANK. THANKS. SHIKENA.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Srallens(m): 5:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
SuperModerator:

give the other bank your BVN code.
. It's aite.................... Tanx brou
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
Jesus! Are you saying I'm gonna travel all the way from Canada here to Nigeria because of BVN? ...I thought the deadline was 2016? I still have a whole lot in my GTBank Account. So, my MasterCard isn't gonna work here anymore from June this year?

We need other options, please.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
emmmm
Maybe / maybe not grin

Are you sure, this mandate is from the CBN?
I don't think the CBN has given any final say on this issue.

There would definitely be a provision for the abroad based customers. Time is flying though - deadline approaching.

I'm hoping so. angry
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Toladipo(f): 6:40pm On Feb 20, 2015
Enoquin:
embarassed I did mine in two banks instead of just one. The lady at the bank I first went to asked if I had done it at another bank. I told her no and asked what her question meant, she said it meant nothing.
Now, that I have two BVN nos, wetin I go come do, sell the other no? shocked grin

U can't have two BVN nos probably what you have with you now is just the ticket ID.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Enoquin(f): 6:43pm On Feb 20, 2015
Toladipo:

U can't have two BVN nos probably what you have with you now is just the ticket ID.

Okay. Good to know. Thank you
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Amefrica:

I'm hoping so. angry

hahaha
Sorry o.
I virtually forgot you're involved in this.
Don't worry, they would work out something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

hahaha
Sorry o.
I virtually forgot you're involved in this.
Don't worry, they would work out something.

They had better. Or else... angry embarassed cry
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by rossychik(f): 6:59pm On Feb 20, 2015
I had my. Own done and message was sent 2 me but I didn't knw wen I deleted. Will I b sent anoda one if I tell them
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by USAPRODUCTS(m): 2:08am On Feb 21, 2015
I just spoke to the manager of my bank; First bank. I was told not to worry about that, they are working on the solution for the diaspora bank account owners.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by dangotecementplc(f): 10:51am On Feb 21, 2015
Buy Dangote cement at a cheap and affordable price of
#1000 per bag, and also buy Dangote rice at #6000 per bag,
call the Head of Sales Manager on 0092348034147532 or
+2348034147532 for more information/negotiations on
purchase and delivery....
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by angelo82: 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2015
This is a useless law that is not well planned and it is an infringement on Nigerians right to open and operate account in their country....You can't just leave your job and travel to Nigeria because of BVN.......Like you can take a free loan with that?.....Travelling is necessary for many reasons and not just to visit your bank........

Akainzo:

Why do Nigerians living outside the country always feel laws on Nigeria should be changed for them? The law is made to be complied with and if you want a BVN, please make yourself available in any of the Nigerian banks in Nigeria. The CBN office is not in UK or US.

By the way, I haven't seen LLoyds Bank or BoA providing means for us in Nigeria to do a verification mandated by UK or US laws. Please, let us respect our country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Adesiji77: 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2015
redcliff:

Alot!

Expatiate
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Have To Travel Back Home To Get BVN In Banks?? by Fellonigerians: 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2015
If it can be done it will be at a cost because the service is coming to you. Are Nigerians in the diaspora willing to pay? If so, the banks will do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Devaluation: Naira Now N183 To The Dollar / Man Loses N180,000 To ‘magic’ Driver (pictured) / Shoprite Concludes Sale Of Its Equity Stake (100%) In Its Nigeria Subsidiary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.